What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2014 ACC Basketball [Closed - use 2015 thread instead] (2 Viewers)

Leslie has been awful in all facets today. And no help from the freshman. Pretty much Wood/Howell and thats it.

Now that UNC looks like a competent team. Does this add more to the Roy mismanaging this team earlier in the season? Or does this go down as a great coaching job by Roy? Personally, I think Roy hasn't gotten the most out of this team all year but I guess UNC fans won't care as long as they are peaking now.

Man, I really hope State plays UNC in the ACC tournament. We need a rubber match. Hopefully one in which Leslie shows up.

I was definitely critical of RW earlier in the year because for some reason there was a disconnect with the team. However, he finally made the switch to Hairston in the starting lineup and it's paid off.

Now that UNC looks like a competent team. Does this add more to the Roy mismanaging this team earlier in the season? Or does this go down as a great coaching job by Roy? Personally, I think Roy hasn't gotten the most out of this team all year but I guess UNC fans won't care as long as they are peaking now.
I think he knew the small lineup was his best very early. He just really wanted one or two of the big men to develop and he gave them (maybe) too many chances. It seems he's made the switch in time, but now you've got a team overly dependent on the 3, IMO.

Needless to say this win was HUGE. Paige really came up big in the 2nd half. When NCSU went up 4 on the back to back 3s by Wood I was worried, but the Heels came up big time. Just a tremendous win for this team in terms of the league and for tourney purposes as well.

Going with a smaller lineup has helped the team overall, but they are getting beaten soundly on the boards. That being said, this team is playing with a good amount of confidence right now.

Needless to say this win was HUGE. Paige really came up big in the 2nd half. When NCSU went up 4 on the back to back 3s by Wood I was worried, but the Heels came up big time. Just a tremendous win for this team in terms of the league and for tourney purposes as well.
Guess what happened right after State went up 4? Gott put Leslie back in the game. He bricks two free throws and gets abused by Hairston on a drive. Gott should have left him on the bench, they were playing much better without him.

I also thought Brown had a pretty terrible game. I think he had a good amount of assists, but didn't really seem to do anything in the 2nd half to spark the team.State's going to need help to get a top 4 finish.

Guess what happened right after State went up 4? Gott put Leslie back in the game. He bricks two free throws and gets abused by Hairston on a drive. Gott should have left him on the bench, they were playing much better without him.
Leslie has to be a frustrating player for State fans. He has talent, but for some reason he's just not all there in games at the most crucial times. Hairston definitely got the better of him today. I definitely feel a lot better about Carolina's tourney chances, as far as making it, after today's win, but they still need to keep on winning. I'm a bit concerned though they might turn into a live by the 3 die by the 3 type of team. We'll see...

I think he knew the small lineup was his best very early. He just really wanted one or two of the big men to develop and he gave them (maybe) too many chances. It seems he's made the switch in time, but now you've got a team overly dependent on the 3, IMO.
Now you know what it feels like to be a Duke fan. But I'd rather be dependent on Hairston and Bullock from 3 than reliant on Brice Johnson or Desmond Hubert. UNC should have taken itself off the bubble at this point. Will be interesting if they can get up to a 6 or possibly 5 seed b/c anything between a 7-10 seed will be tough but a 5-6 will give them a nice shot for a S16 run.

If you ask the UNC fans, they'll ##### and complain that he mismanages his team....SSDD.

If you ask the UNC fans, they'll ##### and complain that he mismanages his team....SSDD.
Well, he's no Coach K.... ;)

I think that is the worst game I've ever seen Leslie play. Gott shouldn't have put him back in. It was obvious Leslie wasn't mentally there.

I think that is the worst game I've ever seen Leslie play. Gott shouldn't have put him back in. It was obvious Leslie wasn't mentally there.
Leslie was a no-show with six points, four rebounds and six turnovers in 30 minutes."I love him as much as anybody. But when you're a good player, then you've got to play better," N.C. State coach Mark Gottfried said. "Richard gets 17 rebounds today. Are we expecting Richard to get 30 rebounds? Holy mackerel. Somebody else has to go rebound the ball. Calvin has to step up — period."
That has to sting to get called out by your coach like that. Hopefully it sets the tone for him for the reminder of the season. His play yesterday in the first half was inexcusable.

Anyone watching that can explain the call on the Hanlon hitting Cook play? On the radio they said the call was against Cook originally but the refs reversed it after watching the replay during the break. That doesn't seem legal to me though

You can go to the video to review any potential hit to the face. Hanlan got cook in the face with an elbow. It was obvious on tape.

Same thing happened in the IU/MSU game. Watford drove, caught an MSU defender with an inadvertent elbow as guys normally drive with their arm extended. Actually called the foul on MSU, went to commercial. Came back and called the tech. I believe they still kept the foul on the MSU guy but added one on Watford. Not sure today if they revoked the foul on Cook or not but seems to be the right call.But the rule is dumb as dirt. I understand in certain situations, like when the guy is holding the ball above his head and swinging his elbows, I have no problem with that. But when a guy is just driving and his hand gets a guy in the head, it shouldn't be a flagrant.

'sporthenry said:
I understand in certain situations, like when the guy is holding the ball above his head and swinging his elbows, I have no problem with that. But when a guy is just driving and his hand gets a guy in the head, it shouldn't be a flagrant.
:goodposting:

'BassNBrew said:
Looks like the Carolina/State line is -5 Heels. I'm loading up on the better team who happens to be getting points.
:bag: What is wrong with State?
The enigma that is C.J. Leslie is what's wrong. UNC played well yesterday, but the bad C.J. showed up and Leslie had the worst game of his career. There is no real explanation for it.Leslie has forgettable day against North Carolina
Since C.J. Leslie walked on to the N.C. State campus three years ago, there have been a limited number of big games.Saturday’s game against North Carolina was big, but Leslie, the preseason Atlantic Coast Conference Player of the Year, was seemingly absent from the Wolfpack’s 76-65 loss at the Dean Smith Center.In fact, the Wolfpack might have preferred if Leslie missed the first half entirely.“He’s a great player, and great players have to step up and play,” N.C. State coach Mark Gottfried said. “Period.”Leslie had six of N.C. State’s 12 first-half turnovers – eclipsing North Carolina’s first-half total of four by himself.Some thought Leslie might leave N.C. State after last season for the NBA Draft.Instead, Leslie decided to return, and although he led the Wolfpack (19-8, 8-6 ACC) to an upset of then-No. 1 Duke earlier this season, his play Saturday partly kept N.C. State from taking sole possession of third place in the ACC.Now, the Wolfpack, which lost to North Carolina (19-8, 9-5) for the 14th time in 15 tries, is looking up at their neighboring rival in the standings without any form of a tiebreaker.“We just have to go back to work,” Gottfried said.Leslie, whose given name is Calvin, was still the root of N.C. State’s problems Saturday. While he didn’t commit a turnover in the second half, he finished with just six points – equal to his turnover total and his second-lowest output of the season.He pulled down just four rebounds.Richard Howell, who leads the ACC in rebounding, had 13 points and 17 rebounds. Freshman forward T.J. Warren, who made his sixth start, finished with 10 and 10.Leslie’s struggles weren’t a problem of strategy or lack of possession – he finished 3-for-8.Leslie’s struggles were all his own.“I love him as much as anybody, but when you’re a good player, then you have to play better,” Gottfried said. “Richard (Howell) gets 17 rebounds (Saturday). Are we expecting Richard to get 30 rebounds? Holy Mackerel. Somebody else has to rebound the ball.“Calvin has to step up, period.”After playing so poorly in the first half that some N.C. State fans would have wished him absent, Leslie nearly was an apparition in the second half.Leslie threw down a dunk with with 8:06 to go to give N.C. State a three-point lead.He hit just one more basket and picked up two fouls from that point and had one rebound as North Carolina rallied back.

Wow, this really highlights how bad Leslie was yesterday:

Leslie was a minus-27 in 30 minutes against the Tar Heels on Saturday, meaning State was out-scored by 27 points when Leslie was on the floor. The Pack only lost the game by 11 points.

Listening to Carolina fans on the radio this morning you might think we were rivals or something... :hophead:

There was a certain point late in the year last year at which Leslie just turned it on. My hope is that Gottfried was playing for the long term on Saturday by putting Leslie back in the game. Instead of sitting him and maybe destroying his confidence/attitude for the rest of the season, maybe Leslie finally gets over the hump for the stretch run.

Listening to Carolina fans on the radio this morning you might think we were rivals or something... :hophead:
:lol: My thoughts exactly as I was taking little dude to school. Kinda disappointed by the cricket impressions from the State fans but the UNC fans calling in NOW, after not being able to find them anywhere last week was laughable. Regarding Leslie, I have no idea what to think other than this dude is a head case. I suppose there's merit to putting him back in so they didn't lose him, but to me, calling him out by name in the presser negates that. It's been an interesting swing for these two teams for sure. Beginning of the season, NCSU was going to the final four and UNC the NIT...now the question is who gets the better seed in the NCAA tourney IF NCSU even makes it. Lots of drama this year.

:lol: My thoughts exactly as I was taking little dude to school. Kinda disappointed by the cricket impressions from the State fans but the UNC fans calling in NOW, after not being able to find them anywhere last week was laughable. Regarding Leslie, I have no idea what to think other than this dude is a head case. I suppose there's merit to putting him back in so they didn't lose him, but to me, calling him out by name in the presser negates that. It's been an interesting swing for these two teams for sure. Beginning of the season, NCSU was going to the final four and UNC the NIT...now the question is who gets the better seed in the NCAA tourney IF NCSU even makes it. Lots of drama this year.
It would take a complete implosion for State not to make it... like, two more road losses and home losses to BC and/or Wake bad. Top 30 RPI teams with winning conference records from major conferences just don't get left out.

Good stuff. Although this was the Heels' biggest game of the year just based on the standings, resumes and rankings of the teams. Even if the name on the other jersey was Faber College it would still be a monster win.

Commish> is this 'Bone' guy on 610 might be the biggest radio troll I've ever heard... he's a Duke fan, are we sure he's not Ripley?

Commish> is this 'Bone' guy on 610 might be the biggest radio troll I've ever heard... he's a Duke fan, are we sure he's not Ripley?
hahahaha....he's 100% shtick. He's a Duke/UCONN/XXX/YYY/ZZZ "fan". He's not Ripley, but I'm not sure Ripley doesn't call in. Have you heard "James from Maiden"??? I'm pretty sure THAT'S ripeastwoodape.

The following is a sampling of teams have a better kenpom defensive efficiency rating than NCSU:Texas ArlingtonWoffordEastern MichiganWestern MichiganBowling GreenSouthernHartfordUC IrvineGardner WebbNC CentralNC A&TYeesh.

To be fair, I've never said State was not our rival. I just think State should try to win more than 1 game every 5 years. ;) ... Kind of like the Heels winning the football game every so often.

How did 610 ever let a talent like Mark Packer get away? That dude had the best sports radio show.
Not sure...he's on XM radio now though...FYI. I rarely listen to the afternoon shows anymore though. By the time I'm done listening to Mac and Jensen, everything after that's just repeat.

How did 610 ever let a talent like Mark Packer get away? That dude had the best sports radio show.
Not sure...he's on XM radio now though...FYI. I rarely listen to the afternoon shows anymore though. By the time I'm done listening to Mac and Jensen, everything after that's just repeat.
Yeah but Packers format for that area was money. Rotating guests all with different areas of expertise was just a stroke of genius. It started slipping when they incorporated more and more of QCB. I dont listen to charlotte talk anymore as I dont live close but I would listen to Packer online during football season because he was that good. Packers show now is too nationally for me. I like it when he just talked SEC/ACC footballbasketball and the panthers.I would love to know the story of why he left.

Yeah but Packers format for that area was money. Rotating guests all with different areas of expertise was just a stroke of genius. It started slipping when they incorporated more and more of QCB. I dont listen to charlotte talk anymore as I dont live close but I would listen to Packer online during football season because he was that good. Packers show now is too nationally for me. I like it when he just talked SEC/ACC footballbasketball and the panthers.I would love to know the story of why he left.
They wouldn't pay him....plain and simple. I agree on the format of the show, but I got bored about half way through the football season because it was just SEC and ACC. The ACC provides very little to talk about and the SEC is, well, the SEC. The rest of the year was great though because of his format. I like when he and Eddie George go on the road for CFB preview on XM. They go all over the nation to the various schools talking with various coaches. But I agree, it's not quite the same.

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread