What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2015 Oakland Raiders Thread (1 Viewer)

Carr is leaning on the two WRs too much. Whether that's him or Musgrave, I don't pretend to know, but Raiders need to diversify.

Helu, Rivera, Murray, Walford, anyone else that doesn't spell their last name Reece. I'm done with Reece's routine. One amazing play surrounded by drops, and mistakes. Olawale is a better blocker, and everyone else can catch the ball better than him. So incredibly overrated. And no one was a bigger Reece guy than me.

Back-to-back road games for any Raider team is tough, and that line (-2) sounds about right. Will the young team start celebrating, and come out flat next week? It's easy to imagine the Raiders getting beat in Chicago, based on what we have seen the last 10 years. It will be a nice statement by the staff if they can get a decisive victory next week.
Carr has only targeted Crabtree/Cooper on 53% of his throws (64 of 121 passes). Compare that to Aaron Rodgers who nobody questions is one of the top 2 QB's in the league: He has targeted Cobb/Adams on 54% of his throws (29 of 54 passes). To say that he isn't diversifying enough just seems like an odd statement considering his 2 TD passes went to neither Coop or Crabtree and his diversification is slightly better than one of the top QB's in the league in GB.

I think the fact that Carr is throwing towards Cooper and Crabtree even against Joe Haden shows his confidence in their abilities. Also, it is a catch 22....if he diversifies to the lesser talented TE's, WR's and RB's and his YPA drops then complaints show up on these boards about that.

/Shrug I am just happy to see we appear to have a QB we can rely on now and for the next 10 years hopefully. If he can continue to grow and become a top 10 QB, Oakland will be a better attraction for free agents, etc...

Who would have thought after that horrific season opener 3-1 would be staring Oakland in the face as a very real possibility?
Not only that but Coop/Crab have to be the first option in how many snaps? Wasn't a bunch of people knocking him for dumping everything off last year? Now he is getting the ball to his primary receivers and we are going to knock him for that? :loco:

Carr is leaning on the two WRs too much. Whether that's him or Musgrave, I don't pretend to know, but Raiders need to diversify.
I think you maybe nit picking here. Carr is likely leaning on his WRs because they are the team's best options. He is throwing the ball to others, Coop and Crabs have a total of 38 recpts, the remainder of the team has 40 recpts to date.

The bad:

-Too many penalties.

-Have to close out the game better. Up 20-3 in the second half and 27-10 in the fourth no way Cleveland should be able to be in position to be driving for a game tying TD.
Agree on both accounts. The penalties are ridiculous. In regards to teh defense, unless Aldon Smith can find his footing and become a pass rush force, and/or Edwards emerges as a pass rush force expect to see a lot of games like the Browns game. They have to generate a pass rush by blitzing, which exposes the poor secondary play.

The bad:

-Too many penalties.

-Have to close out the game better. Up 20-3 in the second half and 27-10 in the fourth no way Cleveland should be able to be in position to be driving for a game tying TD.
Agree on both accounts. The penalties are ridiculous. In regards to teh defense, unless Aldon Smith can find his footing and become a pass rush force, and/or Edwards emerges as a pass rush force expect to see a lot of games like the Browns game. They have to generate a pass rush by blitzing, which exposes the poor secondary play.
I sincerely believe Smith is going to round into form before too long and that will change the face of the entire defense. With him and Mack the pass rush should be scary good. I thought Edwards looked really good vs Cleveland if he pans out, and the odds of that increase in direct proportion to Smith & Mack wreaking havoc, then suddenly Oakland has one of the top front sevens in the league. If not this season then next.I really hope Smith gets his act together on and off the field and Reggie locks him into a long term deal.

I don't mean to knock Carr or Musgrave, but I do think that I'd like to see the TEs involved more.

Few thoughts watching the game:

It's absurd how good Cooper is already. Ridiculous.

I loved the screen to Helu, but loved it even more when I watched the game tonight. The team ran a rollout, with a screen to the same side, which seems odd, if you think about it. Browns were all over it, and Helu, instead of following the normal screen pattern, zigged back to the middle of the field, and Carr hit him for a 12 yard gain. I think it was a designed adjustment, and a pretty slick play. Screens are a massive part of the game, and if you make an obvious one, and everyone sells out covering it, you can have a potentially big play the other side. I hope we see that again.

Aldo did some nice things, just not as a pass rusher. Held up against the run, and made a decent play on a rollout.

Receivers let Carr down in the first half. None of Carr's incompletions were his fault in that half.

Once Mack learns to set up his pass rush, he'll be scary. His speed to power is so insane, OTs have to be wary of the bull rush. If he can get them cheating to the speed rush, he'll make some guys look silly with the bull rush.

Love Amari returning punts.

Young team with young-type penalties. Frustrating, but growing pains, hopefully.

I'm not sure if Latavius is best in the Eagle-style misdirections shotgun running plays. I think I prefer him in straight ahead runs, power blocking, let him find a crease, and accelerate. I'm willing to change my mind, but so far, that's what I think.

Speaking of Eagles, when we getting taste of the no-huddle we were promised?

Nice write up Mass. A couple of related comments:

- On the screen to Helu, I think it was solely an adjustment on the fly made by Helu and recognized by Carr. Immediately after the play they showed Carr pointing to the side of his helmet as a sign to say to Helu that it was a smart move or great heads up play on his part. Either way, a positive result that at in years past would have been a burnt down, or hell even a turnover!

- I'm not sold on the idea of having Cooper returning punts yet.

- I think the no-huddle will come. Seems that the Raiders are building their in-game playbook week over week on both sides of the ball. And an argument could be made that they are a full game back from where they initially planned to be heading into week 4 given that Carr missed half a game, and the Bengals controlled that first game basically from the start.

Are people seriously asking JDR if Sunday at Chicago is a trap game...for the Raiders?!?!?!?!?!

When is the last time that happened?

I'm not a fan of Cooper returning punts. I don't like any real important players in that role unless they are an absolute dynamic return man.

ICON211 said:
I'm not a fan of Cooper returning punts. I don't like any real important players in that role unless they are an absolute dynamic return man.
I agree with that. Cooper is the real deal. He does not need to be returning punts.

I was impressed with Cooper in the first two games but after seeing him live in Cleveland, I am more impressed. He gets a lot of separation. CBs have to respect his speed and have to also deal with his running skills with the ball in his hands. So far, Cooper instead of White has been a no brainer.

I have no problems with Cooper returning punts. Tim Brown did it and he came out ok. And there are some other marquee WR's who return punts too. Don't need to put him in bubble wrap. The man is a football player. Geeez..you guys....

I'm interested to see if TJ Carrie continues to man the strong safety spot, until JDR figures out it out. He did a good job against the Browns.

Very tough loss. The end of the last drive drove me nuts. You can't play to kick a FG with that much time left when your defense is not very good.

My wife delivered another Raiders fan late Saturday night so I didn't see the game....anyone got a summary? Did Carr regress or hold steady? What happened to Lat Murray?

Very tough loss. The end of the last drive drove me nuts. You can't play to kick a FG with that much time left when your defense is not very good.
It wasn't the last drive but the 3rd and short call that I didn't like. The Raiders lined up in a power run formation on a short yardage down. It sure looked like they had single coverage on Coop on the right side. A play action pass would have likely been a conversion and possibly a TD. The worst case scenario is an incomplete and you still kick the field goal.

I get why the took that approach... even it they fail on the conversion they keep the clock running. But that completely ignores the realities of the defense. Sure enough they let the Bears drive down the field for the winning FG.

Last edited by a moderator:
My wife delivered another Raiders fan late Saturday night so I didn't see the game....anyone got a summary? Did Carr regress or hold steady? What happened to Lat Murray?
Lost to the dumpster fire that is Chicago... if I could go back in time, screw investing in Apple or getting rich through sports bets, I am cutting the power to the house during Super Bowl XVIII. I would have then grown up as a Steelers fan like my friends...

Defense gave up too many big plays. I actually think the defense played ok, but for some reason they can't get off the field on 3rd and 4th down. If they could have held them on 4th and 5 the Raiders would be 3-1. Murray had a horrible game. Had a pass slip through his hands that led to an INT. And had a key fumble towards the end of the game that gave the Bears great field position. I think the offense as a whole regressed a little this week. Other than Murray, I think they played well enough to beat the Bears though. The defense needs to figure out how to get off the field on 3rd down. But can we really complain for being 2-2 after 4 weeks?

It wasn't the last drive but the 3rd and short call that I didn't like. The Raiders lined up in a power run formation on a short yardage down. It sure looked like they had single coverage on Coop on the right side. A play action pass would have likely been a conversion and possibly a TD. The worst case scenario is an incomplete and you still kick the field goal.

I get why the took that approach... even it they fail on the conversion they keep the clock running. But that completely ignores the realities of the defense. Sure enough they let the Bears drive down the field for the winning FG.
Exactly, the end of the last drive. Once they got within field goal range the play calling was that of just playing to kick the field goal and there was too much time left for that. I could see playing that way if making the field goal put them up more than three, but not when a Bears field goal beats you.

I thought Oak was better then advertised and picked a bold upset pick vs cinci in which they got crushed.
I then picked against them weeks 2 and 3.

Then got back on the train and went with them week 4.

This team is killing my pickem league every single week. I guess I'll just pick against them for you guys.

Cold Dead Hands said:
Toomuchnv said:
Lost to the dumpster fire that is Chicago... if I could go back in time, screw investing in Apple or getting rich through sports bets, I am cutting the power to the house during Super Bowl XVIII. I would have then grown up as a Steelers fan like my friends...
I think the Bears are outside of the dumpster fire classification. They aren't good, but they have looked pretty scrappy and are well coached. So maybe they just suck now instead of being a total train wreck like last season.

Cutler coming back was a surprise I think, they have been competitive in the 2 games where has has fully played and been healthy, plus they desperately needed that win and just came off a bad loss on the road. Trap game for Oak. I really thought Carr would have another TD in the 2nd half.

Toomuchnv said:
Congratulations on your newest family addition. :yes:

Carr was fine. Lat Murray fumbled the game away. Still should have won that game with an aggressive set of play calls that were too content to kick a FG when one more first down would have salted the game. And you don't need to know how predictable prevent defenses work inside two minutes and only up a point. Bears are a bad team. We aren't a playoff team despite all the lofty optimism we hear from the fan base lately. But we are going to snipe some better teams than us down the line so it should al even out.

Pretty quite in this thread for the day before a huge divisional game against the most hated rival.

Last week's loss really took the wind out of our sails, eh?

I'm just hoping that the Raiders are within one score near the end of the 4th quarter.

It will be interesting to see how the oline holds up vs this defense. It will also be interesting to see how Carr reacts if the oline isn't up to the task. If the Raiders can't take advantage of the Bronco's injury depleted oline the Raiders will not be able to keep up.

Really out played Den all day. Too bad Jano blew 2 on his day - been clutch so long. D was strong today. Hated to see us blow that with effort Woodson put in. Run game sucked again - O needs to focus on 3Cs- Carr, Coop,Crab

A lack of a run game is limiting the offense. Carr just isn't at a point where they can rely solely on throwing the ball to win. What the hell happened to Murray the past two weeks?

Two impressions from the game:

There was something wrong with Seabass. On his first FG attempt he got no height on the kick allowing it to be blocked. On the KO after the Raider's TD his kick didn't even make it to the goal line. Is he on the party wagon again?

One very simple adjustment that Carr can make is to vary his count more. They need to work on this and improve his inflection when calling the cadence =>>> think Aaron Rodgers. He only did this once and it drew an offsides call against DEN. His cadence was pretty predictable which allowed the DEN pass rush to get a great jump, and did no favors for the oline. Maybe they are keeping the cadence simple because they are worried the oline will jump. :loco:

I know it's a game we'll look back and think we should have maybe won, especially if we surprise and contend for a wild card. But honestly, I saw so many good things to be happy about, I'm not mad about the loss. Denver is just the better team, especially their defense which is tops in the league. There is no shame IMO. It's games like this that build teams rather than destroy them. I think Jack's got us heading on a positive track.

I know it's a game we'll look back and think we should have maybe won, especially if we surprise and contend for a wild card. But honestly, I saw so many good things to be happy about, I'm not mad about the loss. Denver is just the better team, especially their defense which is tops in the league. There is no shame IMO. It's games like this that build teams rather than destroy them. I think Jack's got us heading on a positive track.
While I agree with this thinking, I also think Denver is overrated. Their D has carried them this season with a handful of huge plays. It would not surprise me at all if Denver were to lose 3 in a row. The Denver O is horrid. This was a game that Oakland should have won. It does not matter this season though. The Raiders are taking steps in the right direction but are not ready to compete with playoff teams.

What do we do when Charles Woodsen retires? He's gotta be the only thing holding that secondary together. I think the last couple of years we've been doing a good job of creating best player available as we had holes everywhere but I think it's time to start drafting DB's. We are legit contenders for the division next year.

FreshiZ said:
What do we do when Charles Woodsen retires? He's gotta be the only thing holding that secondary together. I think the last couple of years we've been doing a good job of creating best player available as we had holes everywhere but I think it's time to start drafting DB's. We are legit contenders for the division next year.
We sign Eric Weddle and draft a future stud to groom.

FreshiZ said:
We sign Eric Weddle and draft a future stud to groom.
I'll bet they move Taiwan Jones back to Safety. haha

Page 8! That's where I found our thread. Bummer.

My main man Shelby Harris promoted to active roster, as Autry and Tuck both out--Tuck probably done as a Raider.

Today: Don't let Woodhead beat you, and send the farm at Rivers. I think we win.

Don't forget about our little problem with covering TE's...I'm very concerned with Woodhead/Gates/Green and Allen on the outside against Hayden. If our boys don't get pressure and actual sacks and hits on Rivers, this could be a long day. Murray and the Oline need to get the ground game going early also to keep the D rested and the ball out of Rivers hands.

Wow what a half. I have to give Jack and the staff a lot of credit. Very impressive performance coming off the bye shows they put in good work.

Imagine how much worse the raiders could be winning if they stop rotating in those loser RBs in. Murray should be in at least 60% of the time as he is basically the only back with positive rushing yards each time.

Man, they young. So young. Even their old guys are young.

That pass to Walford was gorgeous. Carr still is far from perfect, but it's time to get on board, and be thankful.

Mack needs to get going, and the coaches need to mix it up. This Seattle defense where you just line up because your players are better--no. A little scheming would be nice. Honestly, the offense is carrying the defense.

Users who are viewing this thread