What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2015 Oakland Raiders Thread (1 Viewer)

I think we feel like we don't know what to make of this team.

The defense should improve and the offense will likely regress (we can't expect 30+ points every week). Cooper and Murray should be in most fantasy starting lineups, Carr is a matchup play and Sebass is a roll of the dice on any given week.

For FF you can't be looking forward to 4 games vs. the Broncos and Chiefs defenses - not sure where they land on the schedule.

I tell you what, the one thing that was dramatically different this week was Carr throwing downfield. Not sure who in that building decided to open it up (Carr? Musgrave? JDR?), but if that philosophy continues, this team can put up some fantasy points on days when Carr limits interceptions. Cooper and Crabtree looked like a high-end NFL WR tandem this week.

I think we feel like we don't know what to make of this team.

The defense should improve and the offense will likely regress (we can't expect 30+ points every week). Cooper and Murray should be in most fantasy starting lineups, Carr is a matchup play and Sebass is a roll of the dice on any given week.
This is pretty much where I'm at, no idea what to expect any given week. I think the only given is that Cooper will see a lot of targets and he has the talent to produce. I'm less certain on Murray because they seem to lack a firm commitment to the running game.

Man, I was not excited about having crab in dynasty at all, but he's gettin lots of targets.....looks like he could really be a viable fantasy option going forward.

Just watched the game. Offense looked pretty good! Carr was quick with his decisions and the run game looked pretty decent. I hope to see more of it

D wasn't as bad as I first thought. Pass rush was bad and we can't cover well, especially TE's. Man alive, start all TE's playing the raiders. The d line. Needs to step it up to help our corners and LB's in coverage.

If they weren't traveling back east, I'd like the chances of a win. But they don't go east well, at all.

Funny what a difference a week makes.

Some Rams fans were euphoric after week 1, despondent week 2. The Raiders merely reversed the order. Doom and gloom after an especially uncompetitive week 1, hope after a great clutch win against a supposedly good team week 2.

To take the next step, the Raiders have to play better on the road. Was reminded of a stat on the post-Thurs. night game show, long time LA sportscaster Jim Hill's Fifth Quarter, with the articulate Terrell Davis - they are 1-19 in their last 20 away games. They had some high profile busts at the top of the draft for a few years (Russell, DHB, etc.), especially when Al Davis was getting his speed freak on. But Reggie has absolutely nailed the past two high draft picks. In the case of the Rams, adding a few potential All Pro talents to the nucleus and core of the team in the past two drafts (Donald, Gurley) could similarly help turn things around, or at least provides some hope.

Crabtree is playing well, like he has regained some burst and explosiveness. Maybe he is just playing harder, some players disappear if they aren't involved early/often.

ALAMEDA – The Raiders haven’t achieved the desired run-pass balance they’re seeking, but are showing signs of being capable.

A big reason: the offensive line.

The group up front is fresh off a standout performance in the team’s win over the Baltimore Ravens and looks to carry that into Cleveland on Sunday. But despite some outside praise, the Raiders (1-1) aren’t overhyping their line play after two games.

“They’re doing a nice job up to this point, but we all know we can be better,” offensive coordinator Bill Musgrave said.

Mike Tice, the team’s offensive line coach, offered a similar review, but he was very pleased with the team’s effort against the Ravens.

The only sack registered on Derek Carr came when he stepped out of bounds on a scramble just shy of the line of scrimmage. Tice got slightly annoyed when he saw that on the stat sheet after thinking the Raiders had gone 46 pass plays without a sack.

“I could figure out when the sack happened,” he said.

The Raiders have allowed pressure on only 16 of their 93 pass plays and their pass blocking is rated the fifth-most efficient in the league, according to Pro Football Focus. That’s as important as keeping sacks to a minimum.

“We chart hits, we chart pressures,” Tice said. “Of course we chart sacks, but the hits are sometimes worse than the sacks. We don’t want to quarterback to get hit.”

That’s something that hasn’t happened much to Carr this year. Of course, he suffered his hand injury and was hit on a scramble in the season opener, but he’s only been hit four other times after not taking any sacks in the preseason.

One was a late hit that drew a 15-yard penalty on the game-winning drive against Baltimore and another came when he stood in the pocket to deliver the deep throw on Amari Cooper’s 68-yard touchdown.

“I think the group is getting better every day, putting in the work and the communication, all that that goes with it,” coach Jack Del Rio said. “There’s still some things pre-snap-wise that we want to clean up. They’re doing a great job communicating, identifying, getting the point right and executing together. It gives us a chance. There are still some things we know we need to clean up, and we will. But it was a good second week.”

Only three teams have run the ball fewer times than the Raiders’ 35 attempts, but their efficiency on the grounds suggests they can and should use the ground game more. They are tied for fifth at 4.6 yards per carry and Tice said they were efficient on 11 of their 18 runs on Sunday.

“We’ll take that,” he said.

Cleveland has allowed the most rushing yards through two games this season, giving up 160 yards per game. That should give Musgrave reason to put the ball in the hands of Latavius Murray more after he’s had just 26 carries in two games.

“I wouldn’t expect those numbers or those statistics to remain at those levels over time,” Musgrave said. “It’s just a two-game sample size up to this point.

“I think everybody has to focus on the running back to try to stop the run because you don’t want to die that slow death of getting it run down your throat, which would be the ideal way to do it.”

* Mychal Rivera has just four catches for 19 yards, and fellow tight ends Clive Walford (two catches, five yards) and Lee Smith (one catch, six yards) haven’t been featured heavily in the offense yet.

“We’d like to see more touches for everybody, but especially the tight ends,” Musgrave said.

Walford, the team’s third-round pick, was expected to seize a solid role, but the depth of the wide receiver group and his absence for most of training camp stalled that. Musgrave said he’s making up for his lost time but still isn’t 100 percent up to speed.

“He’s making progress and getting into football shape after missing, really, the entirety of training camp,” Musgrave said.

* Defensive tackle Justin Ellis (ankle) and defensive end Benson Mayowa (knee) are out this week and fullback Jamize Olawale (ankle) is questionable. Safety Charles Woodson (shoulder) and defensive end Justin Tuck (knee) are both probable. Ellis worked out on the side field during Friday’s brief session.

* Carr won a fan vote and was named the Castrol Edge Clutch Performer of the Week for his performance in the come-from-behind win over the Ravens. He completed 30 of 46 passes for a career-high 351 yards and the game-winning touchdown with 26 seconds to go.

I like that bit about the tight ends.

Cooper and Crabtree are the entire passing game, and even if a Butler emerges as an option, I really think a rhythm, controlled passing game is what this team is best suited for. I would love to see Helu out there as well.

I like that bit about the tight ends.

Cooper and Crabtree are the entire passing game, and even if a Butler emerges as an option, I really think a rhythm, controlled passing game is what this team is best suited for. I would love to see Helu out there as well.
Didn't they trade Butler to the Cowboys?

Murray is the clear #3 option in the passing game but I really hope Walford emerges as the season progresses. I don't have much faith in Holmes (he takes forever to get up to speed) or Streater at this point. Not sure about this Seth Roberts kid.

I think Mass meant Seth Roberts and I am very high on that kid. If we can't get the TE's involved more, we can at least open up more opportunity for Seth.

DocHolliday said:
Vision6 said:
Stompin said:
These are the kinds of games that we should win.

And in my experience, the games we always lose.
This is a tough game for the Raiders. Away in the E time zone is always trouble. Facing a solid D will test this young O. Should be close.
True about Raiders propensity to deflate when traveling East, but hey -- they are a WC team, and need to find the right schedule/rhythm/preparation to overcome that like any traveling team. Too much of an excuse over the years, IMHO.

Streater inactive. I'm fine with that. Dude hasn't looked the same since his return.

Guess we'll get to see more of Roberts and Holmes.

Loving the way Carr is looking downfield more as his initial read. That is huge. Cooper is so very much the real deal it's laughable that there was even a debate as to who should be the first receiver drafted. Offensive line really struggling in the run game but they are also pretty darn good protecting Carr and that should be the priority.

Now let's see e defense step up.

Penalties piling up again, it's a shame because they are keeping the Browns around when they look like the much better team so far.

Looking very good in spite of themselves. But they have left a lot of yards on the field, they are making it more difficult than it should be.

Loving Carr's poise so far. The double pump/check (it wasn't a fake) followed by the sideline completion to Roberts (I think) on the sideline that got them into the red zone on that TD before the half was so very poised and heady. Could he have really turned the corner? It definitely looks like it for the last 6 quarters.

Most impressive in my opinion was that goal line stand that limited Cleveland to a FG, when Crowell had it set up at the one yard line, first and goal. Shades of the Raider badasses era defense.

Most impressive in my opinion was that goal line stand that limited Cleveland to a FG, when Crowell had it set up at the one yard line, first and goal. Shades of the Raider badasses era defense.
Totally agree. I know it's "just the Browns" but it's been "just the Raiders" for a decade so it's nice to see the defense to finally show up regardless of the opponent.

The Raiders totally deserve to be in this situation. I am kind of glad the Browns just scored with 6:30 left in the 4th, I want to see if they can nut up and grind out the clock. They may ####it up and lose but if they want to be ore than mediocre they need to stop letting teams hang around.

Kind of pissed that the Raiders still don't know how to step on the juggular. On the last completed pass downfield, Mack didn't even attempt a rush, instead just shadowdancing with the tackle, and then jogging downfield after the receiver. I'm sure he was tired, but no old school Raider does that with the game on the line in the late 4th quarter.

Kind of pissed that the Raiders still don't know how to step on the juggular. On the last completed pass downfield, Mack didn't even attempt a rush, instead just shadowdancing with the tackle, and then jogging downfield after the receiver. I'm sure he was tired, but no old school Raider does that with the game on the line in the late 4th quarter.
I'm not pissed at all. The Raiders won a road game and are 2-1.

I'm not pissed at all. The Raiders won a road game and are 2-1.
On a 1 OClock start in the eastern time zone no less!!

We can work on the jugular next time

Thrilled to be 2-1. Pissed that JDR passed up a 55-yard attempt which effectively would have ended the game. That's playing to not lose. Janikowski can make that kick in his sleep, and of course the Browns drove right back down the field anyway.

Just watched the game. Offense looked pretty good! Carr was quick with his decisions and the run game looked pretty decent. I hope to see more of it

D wasn't as bad as I first thought. Pass rush was bad and we can't cover well, especially TE's. Man alive, start all TE's playing the raiders. The d line. Needs to step it up to help our corners and LB's in coverage.

If they weren't traveling back east, I'd like the chances of a win. But they don't go east well, at all.
if only i picked up the unknown dude. lol martellus bennett next :unsure:

d looked much better.

really glad they ran the ball as much as they did. the bears are beatable. dare to dream of 3-1?

it's nice to shake off some of this horrid stench that has been on the team for the last 13 years :pickle:

It appears that Carr is turning the corner so far during his 2nd season....hopefully he can put the YPA discussion to rest once and far all. Next weeks game in Chicago appears to be winnable with a Clausen-led offense to deal with. A 3-1 start would be big for this teams confidence.

@JoshDubowAP: #Raiders open as 2 pt favorite in Chi. Only other time since 05 they were favored on road was -2 9/16/12 at Mia. Oak llost 35-13 ht @pfref

Carr is leaning on the two WRs too much. Whether that's him or Musgrave, I don't pretend to know, but Raiders need to diversify.

Helu, Rivera, Murray, Walford, anyone else that doesn't spell their last name Reece. I'm done with Reece's routine. One amazing play surrounded by drops, and mistakes. Olawale is a better blocker, and everyone else can catch the ball better than him. So incredibly overrated. And no one was a bigger Reece guy than me.

Back-to-back road games for any Raider team is tough, and that line (-2) sounds about right. Will the young team start celebrating, and come out flat next week? It's easy to imagine the Raiders getting beat in Chicago, based on what we have seen the last 10 years. It will be a nice statement by the staff if they can get a decisive victory next week.

Carr is leaning on the two WRs too much. Whether that's him or Musgrave, I don't pretend to know, but Raiders need to diversify.

Helu, Rivera, Murray, Walford, anyone else that doesn't spell their last name Reece. I'm done with Reece's routine. One amazing play surrounded by drops, and mistakes. Olawale is a better blocker, and everyone else can catch the ball better than him. So incredibly overrated. And no one was a bigger Reece guy than me.

Back-to-back road games for any Raider team is tough, and that line (-2) sounds about right. Will the young team start celebrating, and come out flat next week? It's easy to imagine the Raiders getting beat in Chicago, based on what we have seen the last 10 years. It will be a nice statement by the staff if they can get a decisive victory next week.
Carr has only targeted Crabtree/Cooper on 53% of his throws (64 of 121 passes). Compare that to Aaron Rodgers who nobody questions is one of the top 2 QB's in the league: He has targeted Cobb/Adams on 54% of his throws (29 of 54 passes). To say that he isn't diversifying enough just seems like an odd statement considering his 2 TD passes went to neither Coop or Crabtree and his diversification is slightly better than one of the top QB's in the league in GB.

I think the fact that Carr is throwing towards Cooper and Crabtree even against Joe Haden shows his confidence in their abilities. Also, it is a catch 22....if he diversifies to the lesser talented TE's, WR's and RB's and his YPA drops then complaints show up on these boards about that.

/Shrug I am just happy to see we appear to have a QB we can rely on now and for the next 10 years hopefully. If he can continue to grow and become a top 10 QB, Oakland will be a better attraction for free agents, etc...

Who would have thought after that horrific season opener 3-1 would be staring Oakland in the face as a very real possibility?

Last edited by a moderator:
Very happy with Carr's showing thus far. He showed some nice touch in the Browns game, great pocket presence and has command of the huddle. WR also appears to be a position of strength now, and the oline had been playing great. But we shouldn't put the cart before the horse. Yes, they have an opportunity to go 3-1 but the defense is going to really limit the team's upside. They used more LB blitzes to generate a pass rush, but this exposes the poor secondary play. Lot's of shoot outs in the near future with no outcome a certainty.

Very happy with the win yesterday.

The good:

-Two great games in a row from Carr. He looks like he is really making strides and I am very happy he is throwing the ball down the field.

-Cooper is the real deal.

-The running game got on track and Murray looked awesome.

-Offensive line is playing very well.

-The defense played better and got pressure on the QB.

The bad:

-Too many penalties.

-Have to close out the game better. Up 20-3 in the second half and 27-10 in the fourth no way Cleveland should be able to be in position to be driving for a game tying TD.

On to Chicago. I can't believe 3-1 is a possibility. Huge trap game with Denver the following week. This is a big week for the coaching staff to see if they can keep the team focused.

Users who are viewing this thread