What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2015 Stanley Cup Playoffs: All hail the Blackhawks, mudbutt (1 Viewer)

Clarkson/Horton situation was unique, but wasn't Clarkson's deal worse than Bickell's? Columbus decided they'd rather pay a guy to play than just to sit on IR all year. Leafs got cap relief from it.
sure, but how often do you have a budget conscious team sitting with a high earning, long term injured player on roster that will likely never play again? pretty rare to find the match they did.
no doubt. there's probably not a perfect match out there right now. but $4MM cap hit over 2 years doesn't seem like it would be impossible to move. not easy, but a team like the Sabres could take on that contract if there was something else in it for them.

Clarkson/Horton situation was unique, but wasn't Clarkson's deal worse than Bickell's? Columbus decided they'd rather pay a guy to play than just to sit on IR all year. Leafs got cap relief from it.
sure, but how often do you have a budget conscious team sitting with a high earning, long term injured player on roster that will likely never play again? pretty rare to find the match they did.
no doubt. there's probably not a perfect match out there right now. but $4MM cap hit over 2 years doesn't seem like it would be impossible to move. not easy, but a team like the Sabres could take on that contract if there was something else in it for them.
Send him to Florida?

Kinda surprised they don't replace some of these guys that are so obviously significantly injured to the point that their play suffers
My respect for Bishop skyrocketed after we learned he has a torn groin. Can't imagine how painful it is for Bishop to make a pad save or when there's a mad scramble in front of the net.

He was amazing this series.
I guess I just wonder at what point do you sit a guy who clearly isn't at 100%, or anything close. Seems like hockey more than any other sport sticks with injured guys. Bishop was what, 75%? he couldn't push to one side hard, couldn't get back up quickly. Johnson was just invisible. Oduya couldn't use one of his arms for a couple of games. Is there no one else deserving of a chance when these injuries happen? I get that they want to gut it out, but it sure seems like it's hurting the team, not helping.
Bishop put up a .939 save percentage with the injury, they should tear it before the start of next year too.
I hear ya. But watching him try to move, it was just obvious he couldn't do everything. I mean watch him on Kane's goal last night, he couldn't push at all, just sort of stepped. Maybe he never makes that save, but maybe if Kane doesn't know his limitations, he tries to be a little more perfect.
Bishop is large enough that he doesn't need to move as much as most, but clearly he was mobile enough and the stop on Toews on the back door that clear. in fact, he looked comfortable moving during play in both games 5&6. he had no shot on Kane's goal, nor would any goalie. Garrison gave him the shooter and then checked air. Bishop isn't playing the pass. that chance isn't even created unless Tampa is pressing because they are down late.

he gave them every chance to win in that series and was their best chance to win that series, injury or no injury. Tampa's strength let them down, and that was finish up front. blue line and net were fine.

Kinda surprised they don't replace some of these guys that are so obviously significantly injured to the point that their play suffers
My respect for Bishop skyrocketed after we learned he has a torn groin. Can't imagine how painful it is for Bishop to make a pad save or when there's a mad scramble in front of the net.

I guess I just wonder at what point do you sit a guy who clearly isn't at 100%, or anything close. Seems like hockey more than any other sport sticks with injured guys. Bishop was what, 75%? he couldn't push to one side hard, couldn't get back up quickly. Johnson was just invisible. Oduya couldn't use one of his arms for a couple of games. Is there no one else deserving of a chance when these injuries happen? I get that they want to gut it out, but it sure seems like it's hurting the team, not helping.
Bishop put up a .939 save percentage with the injury, they should tear it before the start of next year too.
I hear ya. But watching him try to move, it was just obvious he couldn't do everything. I mean watch him on Kane's goal last night, he couldn't push at all, just sort of stepped. Maybe he never makes that save, but maybe if Kane doesn't know his limitations, he tries to be a little more perfect.
Bishop is large enough that he doesn't need to move as much as most, but clearly he was mobile enough and the stop on Toews on the back door that clear. in fact, he looked comfortable moving during play in both games 5&6. he had no shot on Kane's goal, nor would any goalie. Garrison gave him the shooter and then checked air. Bishop isn't playing the pass. that chance isn't even created unless Tampa is pressing because they are down late.he gave them every chance to win in that series and was their best chance to win that series, injury or no injury. Tampa's strength let them down, and that was finish up front. blue line and net were fine.
Yea I thought the Bolts played a really good series overall. Hey did everything but score, which sounds dumb, but they had chances and it didn't go in. Way it goes.

For a good portion of the series they were equal or better than Chicago but they ran out of steam and Chicago turned it up.

Send him to Florida?
Florida has their own cap to worry about these days now that their prospects are coming along. no more free for all down there.

Some choice RFAs out there this summer:

Silfverberg (ANA)

D.Hamilton (BOS)

Saad (CHI)

Nyquist (DET)

J.Schultz (EDM)

Huberdeau (FLA)

Toffoli (LAK)

M.Jones (LAK)

Granlund (MIN)

Galchenyuk (MTL)

C.Wilson (NSH)

C.Smith (NSH)

Larsson (NJD)
A.Lee (NYI)

B.Nelson (NYI)

Stepan (NYR)

Stone (OTT)

Zibanejad (OTT)

Tarasenko (STL)

Kadri (TOR)

Kuznetsov (WAS)

Holtby (WAS)

Yea I thought the Bolts played a really good series overall. Hey did everything but score, which sounds dumb, but they had chances and it didn't go in. Way it goes.

For a good portion of the series they were equal or better than Chicago but they ran out of steam and Chicago turned it up.
I know this feeling

Early odds to win the Cup next year

Chicago Blackhawks 7/1
New York Rangers 8/1
Anaheim Ducks 10/1
St. Louis Blues 12/1
Tampa Bay Lightning 12/1
Los Angeles Kings 14/1
Minnesota Wild 14/1
Montreal Canadiens 14/1
Pittsburgh Penguins 14/1
Boston Bruins 16/1
Nashville Predators 16/1
Washington Capitals 18/1
New York Islanders 22/1
Winnipeg Jets 25/1
Columbus Blue Jackets 33/1
Detroit Red Wings 33/1
Edmonton Oilers 33/1
Calgary Flames 40/1
San Jose Sharks 40/1
Vancouver Canucks 40/1
Ottawa Senators 50/1
Colorado Avalanche 66/1
Dallas Stars 66/1
New Jersey Devils 66/1
Philadelphia Flyers 66/1
Toronto Maple Leafs 66/1
Florida Panthers 75/1
Buffalo Sabres 100/1
Carolina Hurricanes 100/1
Arizona Coyotes 100/1

Early odds to win the Cup next year

Chicago Blackhawks 7/1

New York Rangers 8/1

Anaheim Ducks 10/1

St. Louis Blues 12/1

Tampa Bay Lightning 12/1

Los Angeles Kings 14/1

Minnesota Wild 14/1

Montreal Canadiens 14/1

Pittsburgh Penguins 14/1

Boston Bruins 16/1

Nashville Predators 16/1

Washington Capitals 18/1

New York Islanders 22/1

Winnipeg Jets 25/1

Columbus Blue Jackets 33/1

Detroit Red Wings 33/1

Edmonton Oilers 33/1

Calgary Flames 40/1

San Jose Sharks 40/1

Vancouver Canucks 40/1

Ottawa Senators 50/1

Colorado Avalanche 66/1

Dallas Stars 66/1

New Jersey Devils 66/1

Philadelphia Flyers 66/1

Toronto Maple Leafs 66/1

Florida Panthers 75/1

Buffalo Sabres 100/1

Carolina Hurricanes 100/1

Arizona Coyotes 100/1
Way too early for this. Hawks 7-1? I bet them at +500 in the conference final. :lol:

Congrats Rud, .
Lol is this a new thing I missed?
I thought it was pretty well known that after the Sabres he's a Blackhawk fan from his years in Chicago.
yeah, I'm still a Sabres fan above all else. But, I've lived in Chicago for the past 16 years, which is just about the same length of time I lived in Buffalo for. My wife is from here, my daughter was born here, and the home I bought is within walking distance of the United Center. 10 years ago, nobody I knew in this city even cared about or followed the NHL or the Hawks, so it was pretty easy to ignore them. But, as they started to turn into the monster they are, it was hard not to get sucked in. I used to celebrate the wins, but not really get upset over any losses so I was pretty clearly not a fan. But, over the years, I've bought in a bit more. I'm not a die hard Hawks fan like some here, but I probably care more about hockey than most so I'm going to appreciate a dynasty being formed right in my backyard. Tough not to love this team. Also helps that the Sabres are a non-factor right now, so I don't have to worry about many conflicts.
:no: I was still a season ticket holder then. I had season tickets from 1994-2006. :bag:

Of course, you might not have known me then.

Last edited by a moderator:
:no: I was still a season ticket holder then. I had season tickets from 1994-2006. :bag:

Of course, you might not have known me then.
those were some rough years.

I'm an idiot for not buying seasons back around the same time that Chet did.
Really rough years. It was still a lot of fun, though. I guess my first season having tickets was actually 93-94, because it was still the old Stadium, which was a blast. That's when they used to sell the Blue Line newspaper out front, too, which was basically just satirical criticism of old man Wirtz. They were lean years but a great time anyway.

Bill Brasky said:
Thorn said:
Bill Brasky said:
Thorn said:
fightingillini said:
Thorn said:

Bishop is large enough that he doesn't need to move as much as most, but clearly he was mobile enough and the stop on Toews on the back door that clear. in fact, he looked comfortable moving during play in both games 5&6. he had no shot on Kane's goal, nor would any goalie. Garrison gave him the shooter and then checked air. Bishop isn't playing the pass. that chance isn't even created unless Tampa is pressing because they are down late.

he gave them every chance to win in that series and was their best chance to win that series, injury or no injury. Tampa's strength let them down, and that was finish up front. blue line and net were fine.
Oh I agree that leaving Bishop in was the right call. I just think generally it's surprising how much teams let guys that are hurt continue playing in the playoffs, and I think there are lots of times when it is the wrong call.

Q's playoff record with the Hawks:

33-0-0 when carrying a lead into the third

42-14 in games 4-7

:shock:

Can any other coach approach those numbers?

42-14 in games 4-7

Scotty Bowman was 70-28 in the playoffs with Montreal. 5 Cups in 8 years.

For comparison, Quenneville is 73-44 in the playoffs with Chicago. 3 Cups in 7 years.

Last edited by a moderator:
Bill Brasky said:
Thorn said:
Bill Brasky said:
Thorn said:
fightingillini said:
Thorn said:

Oh I agree that leaving Bishop in was the right call. I just think generally it's surprising how much teams let guys that are hurt continue playing in the playoffs, and I think there are lots of times when it is the wrong call.
I can see that. though hindsight is highly beneficial. in this case I think you have to let Tyler Johnson try. he's leading the playoffs in goals and clearly their best player during the run. you could argue that they should try and plug a talented Drouin into a scoring role, though I'd say he should have been in the lineup over a guy like Morrow all along. then again, Drouin did get that opportunity and did nothing with it so that is moot in hindsight as well.

unless you have another really good option, I can't fault anyone with playing a good player when hurt. and to have that option is rare.

it's really tough to throw a player into the fire late in the postseason as an injury replacement. they often haven't played much in a while and it's got to be crazy how much intensity and pressure there is.

it's really tough to throw a player into the fire late in the postseason as an injury replacement. they often haven't played much in a while and it's got to be crazy how much intensity and pressure there is.
True - look at how the Blackhawks struggled filling in on D after losing Rosival.

42-14 in games 4-7

Scotty Bowman was 70-28 in the playoffs with Montreal.
Anyone else?

:lol:
Glen Sather was 89-37 in the playoffs. Won 4 Cups in 11 years with the Oilers.
The 33-0-0 record with leads going into the third is insane IMO. Can't believe anyone has a better or similar record.

of the

And a 75% win rate in late series games is also very impressive. Neither Sather's nor Bowman's win % is as high, but their records are for all playoff games.

42-14 in games 4-7

Scotty Bowman was 70-28 in the playoffs with Montreal.
Anyone else?

:lol:
Glen Sather was 89-37 in the playoffs. Won 4 Cups in 11 years with the Oilers.
The 33-0-0 record with leads going into the third is insane IMO. Can't believe anyone has a better or similar record.

of the

And a 75% win rate in late series games is also very impressive. Neither Sather's nor Bowman's win % is as high, but their records are for all playoff games.
I can't believe they didn't lose at least one of those shootouts.

From 1997 to 2002 Detroit won 3 Cups with a 61-29 playoff record (12-2 in finals)

From 2010 to 2015 Chicago won 3 cups with a 63-36 playoff record (12-7 in finals)

Probably can draw quite a few comparisons between the two teams, but these numbers were close enough for me to be interested in similarities.

Hope they can find some way to keep Vermette. Going to be an interesting offseason.

Now I need to let my liver take a break for awhile. At least until Saturday.
there's probably little chance they can. he's going to get paid by someone. he won his Cup so not much reason to take a huge discount to be a 3rd line player here when he can have a bigger role somewhere else.they need to move Sharp, and hopefully Bickell too.
doubt they can move Bickell and between Sharp and Oduya one has to be moved/let walk. they are pinched pretty good and Saad is going to command a nice deal so it wouldn't be surprising to see him get poached.
tough to say never when we've seen contracts like Gomez, Clarkson, and Horton get dealt.Pretty sure Oduya is gone.

Their top-11 players under contract are going to count $61.8MM against the cap next year.

Kane, Toews, Sharp, Hossa, Bickell, Versteeg, and Shaw at F.

Seabrook, Keith, Hjalmarsson at D

Crawford in goal.

Sharp ($5.9MM) and Bickell ($4.0MM) and Versteeg ($2.2MM) would be the best candidates to get rid of. They may have to consider trading Seabrook too since he's going to be a UFA next year.
I'd heard some rumors at the end of the regular season and early in the playoffs about Crawford being traded. Does anybody think he gets dealt now that he's won a second Stanley Cup with the Hawks? I think the common opinion of him is similar to Chris Osgood. Decent goalie, but benefits from playing behind a great D. Crawford's got a $6 mill cap hit. Any chance they deal him and roll with Darling as the starter next season?

From 1997 to 2002 Detroit won 3 Cups with a 61-29 playoff record (12-2 in finals)

From 2010 to 2015 Chicago won 3 cups with a 63-36 playoff record (12-7 in finals)

Probably can draw quite a few comparisons between the two teams, but these numbers were close enough for me to be interested in similarities.
Not a dynasty until you beat the Flyers.

The single most impressive thing about what the Hawks have done is doing it under a hard salary cap IMO.

Users who are viewing this thread