What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Official 2016 Stanley Cup Playoffs thread : Pens raise the cup for 4th time in franchise history*** (1 Viewer)

Conn Smythe was probably close. Lots of good candidates on this team. I think Murray lost some votes because Jones was better.  I would have given it to Kessel but no problem with Crosby winning. 

Amazing to me that Daley got the first handoff. Crazy how bad he was in Chicago, but found new life quickly in Pittsburgh. 

So many guys on this team that have bounced around a lot lately. Bonino, Hagelin, Daley, etc. nice job by Rutherford putting together a pretty deep group where Kessel is playing on the 3rd line. 

Feels like Pens should be in the Finals almost every year with the talent they have. Would love to see a Pens/Blackhawks series. 

Congrats to to the Sharks. Never thought they had this kind of run in them. They just didn't have enough depth to beat another superior team. Those old guys probably wore down a bit too. 

Couture/Pavelski/Burns/Vlasic is a pretty strong core, and Jones proved himself as a big game goalie for sure. 

Last edited by a moderator:
NHL players have some really hot wives, Kessel looks like he has a nice piece.  Crosby's boyfriend also cute if you're into that sort of thing. 

Have to wonder how differently this game goes if Jones doesn't give up that uncharacteristically weak goal to Dumoulin. Once again, the Sharks were fighting uphill almost the entire game.

NHL players have some really hot wives, Kessel looks like he has a nice piece.  Crosby's boyfriend also cute if you're into that sort of thing. 
It looks like Hags and Bonino also did pretty well.
I did Pistons and Red Wings post-game press interviews for a season and saw all the tail around for both sports.  Hockey players had all 9's+ waiting for them, NBA guys had more chicks per dude standing by but it was a mixed bag of hot chicks, whores, and some baby's mamas that were pretty terrible. 

Pens Report ‏@pensreport  7h7 hours ago

Sid gave the Cup to Daley 1st for his contribution to tm, all his years w/o a Cup, & BC Daley's ailing mother wanted to see him w/ it. #Pens

Matt Murray didn't win the Conn Smythe?  Did I miss something?  Crosby was meh, Kessel or Bonino were more deserving maybe.

Nice job by Sharks fans booing Bettman with great fervor.  :thumbup:  
I think Kessel should have won it but have no problem with Crosby.  If you think his play was meh during the playoffs you weren't watching very close.

Matt Murray was exceptional, especially for a rookie, but he was greatly benefited by a fantastic defensive effort throughout the playoffs.

Congrats Pens fans.  

And even though it wasn't my team... teams...... no, team, Rangers all the way, all fun aside, there is still something totally perfectly cool about the cup ceremony no matter who raises it.  Even if it is Crosby.  

I think Kessel should have won it but have no problem with Crosby.  If you think his play was meh during the playoffs you weren't watching very close.

Matt Murray was exceptional, especially for a rookie, but he was greatly benefited by a fantastic defensive effort throughout the playoffs.
The Penguins played some of the best team defense that I have seen in quite a while.  The Sharks before this series were very good on offense and were great on the power play.  But they couldn't get 20 or so shots on goal against PIT.  Pretty hard to win when you're only getting 20 or so shots on net, with very few being good chances.  If it weren't for Jones, SJ would have been swept.

Pens were clearly the better team.  Congrats to them.

Congrats to the Pens and their fans.  Clearly the better team in all 6 games, particularly the last 3.  San Jose stole two games and would have needed to steal four.  Bad odds.

If the Conn Smythe was based solely on the SCF performance, I thought Letang deserved it.  He shut down Thornton along with everyone else he was out against.  That being said, my respect for Crosby went up miles this series with his defensive play.  In general, I thought the story of this Finals was the defensive play by both teams, but especially Pittsburgh.  Sharks offense is driven by (1) Thornton on the side boards and (2) Burns getting pucks through from the point; Pittsburgh shut both of those down in impressive fashion.  The Sharks simply could not find any holes in the Pittsburgh D and if there were holes, they became microscopic as the series wore on.  On the other hand, Sullivan couldn't get the Crosby line on the ice fast enough whenever Polak was on the ice.  And the Sharks struggled with the HBK line...miles better than the Sharks' 3rd line.  Two clear advantages that likely provided the one- or two-goal differences per game over the course of the series.

I won't speak for other Pens fans, but for me, it was truly a pleasure watching the team this year.  Watching the formation of a Champion.  From a very mediocre team in the fall, to the team they became, via the many-times-mentioned coaching change and personnel moves.  This team was so different than years past.  Many of us grew tired of their act, their hissy fits in the playoffs, their meltdown during so many years.  This year was just so different, and a very welcomed change.  As a Pens fan, I can see how others would hate the team in years past for these and more reasons.  If I wasn't a fan, I would have too.  But this team showed so much heart.  Their giving up their bodies, limiting so many would be shots, their "nameless" guys coming through, their speed, their skill, and most importantly, their leadership.  It was so nice to see them, namely Sid, lead the team.  That many-times-seen clip where Thornton whacked his head and cross checked him just showed how he plays now, and anyone that doubted his drive, and his role as a Captain should have no doubts in their mind now.  Just a fun, fun year.  A very worthy Championship team for any fan.

Here's to you Pen fans you had the better team. 

Great run by the Sharks they will be back next year. 

Go Sharks 2017!!!

Congrats pens fans! Awesome playoffs and was totally pulling for you guys. Played HS hockey with Cullen and excited the cup may be coming back here again 10 years after the first time he brought it back.

Lot of teams probably could win with Kessel on their third line. Not to mention Hagelin and Bonino.
Just shy of 18 min a night and top PP time is top line usage for a winger.  Line "numbers" don't mean jack.  Their "3rd" line was the top line all postseason regardless.  But he probably doesn't high five right in the lockeroom and likes hot dogs, so he sucks.

Kessel has 23 goals and 20 assists in 46 career playoff games. Put up 15 points (9 goals) in 15 playoff games with Boston, yet somehow those guys trash him the most.

Just shy of 18 min a night and top PP time is top line usage for a winger.  Line "numbers" don't mean jack.  Their "3rd" line was the top line all postseason regardless.  But he probably doesn't high five right in the lockeroom and likes hot dogs, so he sucks.
You're right, calling it a "third line" on a team like the Penguins is meaningless, but that's also kind of the point. When you can afford to have Crosby, Malkin and Kessel all skating on different units ... no matter who is alongside ... how do you effectively combat that? Kessel never had that luxury in Boston or Toronto.

How is it that Kessel wasn't picked for the World Cup team?

For the record, I thought Kessel probably should have gotten the Conn Smythe.
He had the stats, and played great, but Crosby was lights out in all facets of the game.  I would have been happy with either. Those saying Murray, I'm not so sure they understand the game or watch it.  I'd put him at about 5th deserving, behind the two already mentioned, Letang, and Bonino.

On the SCF:

17. After Game 2, Marc-Edouard Vlasic said the Pittsburgh Penguins altered their usual style of play specifically for the San Jose Sharks.

“They are coming at us to block shots more than they usually do,” he said.

Pittsburgh averaged 13 per game during the regular season. That average is up to 21 in the Final, including 38 in Game 3. Penguins players privately admitted Vlasic was right, that the coaches asked them to do less “fronting” and aggressively attack the points.

“So much of their offence comes from there,” one said. Those players added the Sharks look to pass from low in the offensive zone towards the blue line, and their coaches wished to disrupt that.

18. That’s one reason Joe Pavelski struggled to produce, since he’s one of the best tip-in artists in the NHL.

Another is Pittsburgh’s swarm, wreaking havoc on San Jose’s cycle game. The Sharks like to get in deep and slow the game down, but the Penguins won’t let that happen. It was an adjustment on the defensive end, too. Roman Polak noted the Penguins are a little different in that when they forecheck, they don’t hit you as often. So, if you turn/brace for contact, they outnumber you and go for the puck. Polak said you have to move it before the pack gets to the next man.

Pittsburgh's D was spectacular.

I had less of a problem with Crosby than I originally thought I would. The Sharks basically had no one who could check that unit, no matter who they threw out there. Which usually included Roman Polak -- who made me want to douse my eyes in gasoline trying to watch him this series.

But that circles back to my original point. How do you match up to that kind of depth spread across the lineup? Kudos to the Pens for managing to pull all of that together and get them playing that way consistently. It was impressive.

Just ask Steve Simmons. :lol:  

I had less of a problem with Crosby than I originally thought I would. The Sharks basically had no one who could check that unit, no matter who they threw out there. Which usually included Roman Polak -- who made me want to douse my eyes in gasoline trying to watch him this series.
Pittsburgh exposed San Jose's lack of blue-liner speed and a guy like Polak whose on the 3rd pairing for a reason was particularly exposed.  For the most part, Polak wasn't put out there against Crosby's line, but rather Sullivan put Crosby's line out there against him, especially in the games where Pittsburgh had last change.  There were times in San Jose where DeBoer would put him out there on a faceoff against the Crosby line...rarely, as usually it was the Braun/Vlasic pairing...but that the number of times was greater than zero was a head scratcher.

I was hoping DeBoer would have simply stuck with the top 2 pairings for the entire 3rd period.

Pittsburgh exposed San Jose's lack of blue-liner speed and a guy like Polak whose on the 3rd pairing for a reason was particularly exposed.  For the most part, Polak wasn't put out there against Crosby's line, but rather Sullivan put Crosby's line out there against him, especially in the games where Pittsburgh had last change.  There were times in San Jose where DeBoer would put him out there on a faceoff against the Crosby line...rarely, as usually it was the Braun/Vlasic pairing...but that the number of times was greater than zero was a head scratcher.

I was hoping DeBoer would have simply stuck with the top 2 pairings for the entire 3rd period.
Dillon was a pylon.  Martin also appeared to hit retirement right in front of our eyes that series, wow was he bad.

Dillon was a pylon.  Martin also appeared to hit retirement right in front of our eyes that series, wow was he bad.
The Dillon/Polak pairing had Sharks fans pulling their hair out.  Martin had the luxury of Burns covering for him, plus Burns had probably his best series defensively against Pittsburgh*.  People forget how often he turned the puck over in his own zone in the earlier rounds.  Racking up goals and assists tends to mask those mistakes.

* When he wasn't losing his stick :game1loss:

Pittsburgh has a history of getting their multi-championship-winning star players via games of chance.

Terry Bradshaw - won on a coin toss due to tying records with the Chicago Bears the previous season.

Sidney Crosby - won in the ping pong ball lottery, due to the lockout the year before.

Users who are viewing this thread