What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2016 New York Jets: Kotite-like (1 Viewer)

Looks like Denver doesn't like Fitzpatrick's asking price either.

According to ESPN's Adam Schefter, the Broncos have checked in on free agent Ryan Fitzpatrick but consider him too expensive.
The Jets have also been reluctant to meet Fitzpatrick's high salary demands. The Broncos added Mark Sanchez to their quarterback mix on Friday but he's just a placeholder. Denver is hoping to land Colin Kaepernick though the 49ers are in no rush to trade him and if they do, Kaepernick has already said his preference is to play for head coach Hue Jackson in Cleveland. Until the Jets or Broncos increase their contract offers, Fitzpatrick will continue to play the waiting game. Mar 13 - 9:50 AM

Bryce petty not an option??
He was more of a project type when he was drafted - but he did have some moments during the preseason. I'd give him a chance to beat out Geno if it comes down to those two during training camp, but I don't see the team not adding a veteran even if it isn't Fitzpatrick.

Supposedly the RGIII's visit went very well, but no word on if they are making an offer.

surprised that the Fitz stand off is taking this long......the longer it goes the less options Fitz has but I wonder at what point the Jets have to give an ultimatum and move on to plan B. Also from what I understand on the Jets updated cap room I dont know how they afford anything over $4-5M without doing some cuts or major restructuring.  

surprised that the Fitz stand off is taking this long......the longer it goes the less options Fitz has but....
Not sure that's even true.

If NY is only offering him backup $ then Fitz has all the time in the world to accept backup $ from some other team. IMO he would likely be the top backup in the NFL and the best backups make $7mil. NY "might be willing" to go as high as $9mil doesn't even sound like they are willing to make that as a concrete offer. More than 2/3rds the league have more than that much cap space left to add depth at QB. A lot of ticking time bomb QB positions around the NFL right now even assuming there won't be any injuries. Who will be ready to start in year one in the draft..... Goff and?

All it would really take is a horrible preseason by RGIII, Keenum, Sanchez, or Geno. Would that shock anyone? Some team would find the money even if they had to structure the deal so most of the cap hit took place next season. For that matter after the nightmare DAL/IND/CIN had to endure playing poor backups last year why wouldn't they want the best backup in the league?

Fitz will have plenty of opportunity to accept backup $ and may end up making much, much more simply by waiting this thing out. There just aren't enough servicable QB's to go around even when everyone is at 100% health and no help coming in the draft.

BoltBacker said:
Not sure that's even true.

If NY is only offering him backup $ then Fitz has all the time in the world to accept backup $ from some other team. IMO he would likely be the top backup in the NFL and the best backups make $7mil. NY "might be willing" to go as high as $9mil doesn't even sound like they are willing to make that as a concrete offer. More than 2/3rds the league have more than that much cap space left to add depth at QB. A lot of ticking time bomb QB positions around the NFL right now even assuming there won't be any injuries. Who will be ready to start in year one in the draft..... Goff and?

All it would really take is a horrible preseason by RGIII, Keenum, Sanchez, or Geno. Would that shock anyone? Some team would find the money even if they had to structure the deal so most of the cap hit took place next season. For that matter after the nightmare DAL/IND/CIN had to endure playing poor backups last year why wouldn't they want the best backup in the league?

Fitz will have plenty of opportunity to accept backup $ and may end up making much, much more simply by waiting this thing out. There just aren't enough servicable QB's to go around even when everyone is at 100% health and no help coming in the draft.
The later it goes the less teams have cap room and it's that much longer that teams have gone through OTAs etc. and developed their schemes and players.

It's surely possible that some one signs him as a backup, but it's also less likely he gets paid big money to be a backup as well.

ETA: How many NFL backup QBs are making $7MM plus. Chase Daniels and who else?

Last edited by a moderator:
The later it goes the less teams have cap room and it's that much longer that teams have gone through OTAs etc. and developed their schemes and players.

It's surely possible that some one signs him as a backup, but it's also less likely he gets paid big money to be a backup as well.

RGIII I guess is more of a place holder than a true backup, I suppose. That's assuming he makes it through the preseason. Not a hater, but based on what we have seen the past two years from him it's really not a given. The CLE situation is far from resolved imo. Those are the only two backups that come anywhere near Fitz in talent since the cap went up.

And nobody is offering Fitz big $ now, so he isn't missing out on big $ either way. I don't see any FA's out there that are going to eat up much cap space. He has nothing to lose at this point by waiting. 

I think a lot of fans just have a dated premise of what QB contracts are moving forward. Better than average backups are ~7mil(Daniels/RGIII) and below average starters are ~18mil(Osweiler/Bradford/Cutler). People act like paying Fitz or Kaep somewhere in between the two is outlandish but it really isn't based on what the market is telling us.

RGIII I guess is more of a place holder than a true backup, I suppose. That's assuming he makes it through the preseason. Not a hater, but based on what we have seen the past two years from him it's really not a given. The CLE situation is far from resolved imo. Those are the only two backups that come anywhere near Fitz in talent since the cap went up.

And nobody is offering Fitz big $ now, so he isn't missing out on big $ either way. I don't see any FA's out there that are going to eat up much cap space. He has nothing to lose at this point by waiting. 

I think a lot of fans just have a dated premise of what QB contracts are moving forward. Better than average backups are ~7mil(Daniels/RGIII) and below average starters are ~18mil(Osweiler/Bradford/Cutler). People act like paying Fitz or Kaep somewhere in between the two is outlandish but it really isn't based on what the market is telling us.
I don't think RGIII was signed as a backup, but his contract is very reasonable (and frankly I'd rather take a chance on him than Fitz).

I agree that Fitzpatrick likely "deserves" more that what the Jets are offering, but as stated many times they just don't have the cap room without making other drastic and perhaps foolish measures. He's within his rights to explore any other options or waiting the market out, but there's risks for him doing that as well.

It's an interesting situation, as I said.

agreed - I dont think $7M per year is backup money.....Fitz was brought in to be a backup last year and was paid 25% of that....i dont see any team giving him $7M to be a backup....Chase is unique in that Bradford is made of glass and Eagles were hot for him....based on the lack of a market i'm not sure anyone is hot for Fitz.....now if he lowers his price to $7M Denver could very well jump back in the mix which would be real competition rather than teams looking for a backup. 

THIS JUST IN: Jets left tackle D'Brickashaw Ferguson is retiring after 10 seasons. (via @RichCimini)

This is not good. I guess they pissed him off enough to walk away. While he's been in steady decline, what's the alternative at this point?

His play was slipping but this is a still a huge hole to fill (with really know way of filling it post free agency)

It's April 8th and the jets have no qb, no left tackle and a pretty low draft pick. At this point, their only option may be to just bend over and let some team take advantage of them in a trade up. 

Ferguson obviously has the right to retire whenever he wants but this really screws the team. He doesn't strike me as a guy who would do this out of spite because they asked him to take a cut. The organization was good to him for a decade

His play was slipping but this is a still a huge hole to fill (with really know way of filling it post free agency)

It's April 8th and the jets have no qb, no left tackle and a pretty low draft pick. At this point, their only option may be to just bend over and let some team take advantage of them in a trade up. 

Ferguson obviously has the right to retire whenever he wants but this really screws the team. He doesn't strike me as a guy who would do this out of spite because they asked him to take a cut. The organization was good to him for a decade

Well, this frees up  $9MM in cap room so now they could pay Fitz, if they want to. Denver is looking to trade Ryan Clady after acquiring Okung so maybe that's a possibility. I'm not sure what the asking price would be.

I don't think it was out of spite, you're probably right about that, but maybe he figured why take more abuse if he has to take a significant pay cut to do so. He apparently was very concerned with the concussion issue and long term effects.

Well, this frees up  $9MM in cap room so now they could pay Fitz, if they want to. Denver is looking to trade Ryan Clady after acquiring Okung so maybe that's a possibility. I'm not sure what the asking price would be.

I don't think it was out of spite, you're probably right about that, but maybe he figured why take more abuse if he has to take a significant pay cut to do so. He apparently was very concerned with the concussion issue and long term effects.
I do remember reading that, and you're right - combined with the pay cut, he probably thought it was a good a time to walk away.

It was a risk worth taking. In draft news, I would love to see Mackensie Alexander fall to 20. He has top notch ability. I expect him to be better than Antonio Cromartie was at his peak value. I know some will say, "Ahh, the Jets have enough cornerbacks." Yeah, but you need four good ones these days. Revis is very good but aging, Williams is okay and Skrine is alright. The others are all bit players and injury risks.

The Jets began their era of respectability when they drafted Brick and Mangold.....I would have no issue with them going OL 1st 2 rds again.  The line is that important and it's been ignored far too long....Clady is a nice band aid but it's time to fix it long term.  

I am getting a feeling that Wilkerson will be dealt by draft day....I think they'll land a late 1st for him....maybe that will break the stalemate with Fitz.....at some point they need to set a drop dead date and move on.  

I am not opposed to tackles or centers in the first round as a general rule but if that guy is not an instant starter, then I don't really like it.

LOL.. NOW throw Geno in there VS those Beasts and Judge away...

I'm so Jealous of Tennessee - that 1 game 2 years ago that we beat them, lose that game and everything they have is ours!!!!

Also another reason why you play Geno last year and not a Placeholder journeyman... Either Geno sucks like ppl say and you get a better draft pick for one of these QB's or.... hey Maybe he looks better, gets to T-Off on that pansy schedule last year and we actually develop a QB....

Gonna be another year of missed playoffs, Treading water, praying for a QB... IMO, whoever plays QB.

Again, Screw it, sign Fitzpatrick for whatever the #### he wants and let all the beard fans be happy at least.

Either way - the NYJ QB this year is going to get Hell Rained upon him from fans who wonder why he can't win VS Super Bowl Contenders... 

My Plan - Sign Fitz - let Smart Guy start VS that top heavy early schedule - let ppl see the Truth, then see if Geno can be a savior off the bench to wrap up the season....  Then back to square 1.

I'd certainly be open to drafting another QB this year - Just gonna be tricky to see how many QBs they can Roster - Might be another reason why they shy from Fitz - If they feel anything for Geno/Petty then Fitz leaves no room for another QB - Also may be why they are waiting.

LOL.. NOW throw Geno in there VS those Beasts and Judge away...
If he had any hope of being a good NFL QB we'd still find that out whether or not they lost far more games this season. It's a very tough schedule overall for sure but only KC, SEA and ARI have great defenses and frankly SEA's isn't as intimidating as it was a few seasons ago.

At this point I'm a little intrigued by them grabbing Paxton Lynch (I grabbed him for them in the group mock on this board). He was consider to be the best QB in this class at one point and with the Rams moving up he could be there for them at 20.

I kind of agree that this could be a lost season - looking at the schedule a 2-4 start or worse looks realistic - so I'm ok with letting Fitzpatrick retire at this point and taking a look at Geno (who I have no faith in, but willing to give him one last chance), Lynch or even Petty. Eventually we need to solve the QB issues and taking a shotgun approach with three youngsters isn't the worst thing the team could do. It's just a shame that their offensive and defensive core is mostly aging vets though.

Also another reason why you play Geno last year and not a Placeholder journeyman...
You do realize that this was their plan all along correct?

Geno got his jaw busted and the team played well with Fitzpatrick who was having a career year (albeit against a soft schedule). The guy set the team TD record and the team finished 10-6 and should have been a playoff team. Let's not act like last season was any kind of disaster just because they couldn't get your boy on the field to finally decide if he's the future or not (because the odds are strong that he's not).

Let's also not forget how poorly Geno played at the end of the one game where he did get to play - a bad loss which ended up being a huge part of the reason the team ultimately missed the playoffs. In that game Geno once again showed what a bonehead he is and how he can not handle the mental aspects of this game. He's physically gifted and I would have loved to have landed a franchise QB in Round 2 - but I have serious doubts that once he's gone we're going to regret letting him go while he lights up the league in another uniform.

If he had any hope of being a good NFL QB we'd still find that out whether or not they lost far more games this season. It's a very tough schedule overall for sure but only KC, SEA and ARI have great defenses and frankly SEA's isn't as intimidating as it was a few seasons ago.

At this point I'm a little intrigued by them grabbing Paxton Lynch (I grabbed him for them in the group mock on this board). He was consider to be the best QB in this class at one point and with the Rams moving up he could be there for them at 20.

I kind of agree that this could be a lost season - looking at the schedule a 2-4 start or worse looks realistic - so I'm ok with letting Fitzpatrick retire at this point and taking a look at Geno (who I have no faith in, but willing to give him one last chance), Lynch or even Petty. Eventually we need to solve the QB issues and taking a shotgun approach with three youngsters isn't the worst thing the team could do. It's just a shame that their offensive and defensive core is mostly aging vets though.

Agree that we could find out - but, IMO that means last year was pretty much a waste of time... And THAT was one of the points made by ppl who were labeled Geno fans!!!!!    It wasn't that I was 100% confident in Geno - it's just that every damn move the organization made since drafting him was WRONG.... 

I'm a Fan of Finding and Developing an NFL QB Period - Geno is and was just another hopeful project. But, ppl spin that as they see fit. 

Lynch is "my Guy" this year - before I read or followed anything I said Blake Bortles... and I was high on Bortles..

Then I googled it and saw all the Comps....

And NO he shouldn't start Right away - But, again #### it because worst case scenario won't be anywhere near the entire #### Storm Geno was thrown into.

While being a developing project - at least Lynch will be in a good QB system with decent weapons...

Unless the OL just doesn't jell and sacks add up, then get him the hell out of there. ONE thing I give Fitz a ton of credit for is just throwing the ball up fast and Praying well.

You do realize that this was their plan all along correct?

Geno got his jaw busted and the team played well with Fitzpatrick who was having a career year (albeit against a soft schedule). The guy set the team TD record and the team finished 10-6 and should have been a playoff team. Let's not act like last season was any kind of disaster just because they couldn't get your boy on the field to finally decide if he's the future or not (because the odds are strong that he's not).

Let's also not forget how poorly Geno played at the end of the one game where he did get to play - a bad loss which ended up being a huge part of the reason the team ultimately missed the playoffs. In that game Geno once again showed what a bonehead he is and how he can not handle the mental aspects of this game. He's physically gifted and I would have loved to have landed a franchise QB in Round 2 - but I have serious doubts that once he's gone we're going to regret letting him go while he lights up the league in another uniform.

LOL @ "Your Boy"....

Just Develop a freaking QB !!!!!!!   

LOL @ "Your Boy"....

Just Develop a freaking QB !!!!!!!   
It's not an insult and you have been a big supporter/defender right from the get go. You've also made him your avatar twice. It's hardly a stretch to conclude you're a fan.

It's hard to call last season "a waste of time". I realize that finding and developing a quarterback is very important. Establishing a winning culture and getting your fanbase excited is also important. This team finished 10-6 and entertained us - I'm not going to apologize for that and Bowles or Mac shouldn't either.

It's not an insult and you have been a big supporter/defender right from the get go. You've also made him your avatar twice. It's hardly a stretch to conclude you're a fan.

It's hard to call last season "a waste of time". I realize that finding and developing a quarterback is very important. Establishing a winning culture and getting your fanbase excited is also important. This team finished 10-6 and entertained us - I'm not going to apologize for that and Bowles or Mac shouldn't either.

Oh Brother....IF they Drafted Paxton Lynch - I'm all for it, Avatar and all... 

And EVEN THEN,  if they got rid of Brandon Marshall, Decker was hurt and they resigned the now retired Harvin, plus Spadola and Stephen Hill... Then gave the project the most convoluted WCO system that takes Vets years to master plus relies on good Route running WRs for the project to make a proper / Quicker read...... and threw him out on the field Game 1...   I promise, 2 years later I'd most likely defend Paxton Lynch and want to see more while questioning ppl who think they can write the book on his career...

My Liking Geno in College and having hope to see him properly developed Transcends to Most developing QB's in the NFL for me...

That said, I don't forsee any Jet QB going thru that same ridiculous Hell Geno was forced into.

I'm all for drafting and finally developing a franchise QB.  We haven't had 1 for a long long long time.  The "problem" though is that, as sad as it is to say for a non-playoff team with a tough schedule in 2016, we are in win now mode.  Our offensive skill players are the best they've ever been, but are all also on the downslope of their careers.  Our defensive core is aging (Revis and Harris namely)/won't be able to be held together much longer (Mo).  With all of the positive steps the Jets took last year, it's hard to want to take a step back and throw a Geno or rookie into the game to see if they're capable of playing - while the rest of the core of the team gets a year older and a year closer to leaving/retiring.  We're in a very purgatorial position right now - but why would we expect anything else?  We're "#######" Jets fans after all!

I'm all for drafting and finally developing a franchise QB.  We haven't had 1 for a long long long time.  The "problem" though is that, as sad as it is to say for a non-playoff team with a tough schedule in 2016, we are in win now mode.  Our offensive skill players are the best they've ever been, but are all also on the downslope of their careers.  Our defensive core is aging (Revis and Harris namely)/won't be able to be held together much longer (Mo).  With all of the positive steps the Jets took last year, it's hard to want to take a step back and throw a Geno or rookie into the game to see if they're capable of playing - while the rest of the core of the team gets a year older and a year closer to leaving/retiring.  We're in a very purgatorial position right now - but why would we expect anything else?  We're "#######" Jets fans after all!

AT LEAST we have a GM/HC even OC to believe in..... At the end of the Tanny Reign I felt the same way but, without any of that....

I'm also not a big believer in closing Windows - Especially when said window doesn't involve a real Super Bowl contender or losing a HOF QB!!! 

String Good drafts together and the window always stays open....  Other than QB, you simply look at all those Bad Jet drafts and see why they never got over the hump.

Hopefully they get something for Mo, find a QB and BAM, the window is cracked again with a solid string of Macc Drafts!!

Good stuff here today

The schedule just confirmed what I was thinking - it is going to be a very tough year for the Jets.....I think Mac sees this and that is why he is holding so tough on Fitz.....the Jets should be 100% focused on getting younger and developing a QB/team that can take the AFC East when Brady is done in 3-4 yrs.  Trying to make a push for the playoffs is a waste....draft a another QB to go with Geno/Petty and try to develop a QB....I really hope they are looking long term so we are not an old team with no QB when Brady is done.  

QB/OL focus for 2016....but there needs to be more focus on getting younger...watching Forte, Marshall, Clady will be fun but ultimately I just dont see this team as a Super Bowl contender and after 40 yrs of being a fan thats all I want...this schedule will make it damn near impossible.  Develop and get younger...please Mac!    

Also - while out at lunch I was thinking - do ppl even remember the Oakland game for what it was or did it become the Icing on The Hate Geno cake?

1st off...  Nick Freaking Mangold was out......   so, Geno comes in cold mid drive - Throws a strike to Kerely for FG range. Jets 3-0

Oak Marches down for an Easy TD  7-3

Jets 3 and out..... OAK Marches for another easy TD  14-3.... 

Jets 3 and out... OAK Marches down for an easy TD... 21-3

OAK Defense was home, for real and playing great VS a cold QB - JETS DEFENSE WAS COMPLETELY MIA

If the Jets came to this game with a Defense like ppl thought they had then they give the QB a chance instead of making the Offense 1 dimensional and Jets RBs rushed for under 30 yards... ALL GAME!!!!!

OAK gets the ball to start the 2nd half and Taiwan Jones scampers for a 60 yard TD where Jet D whiffs about 5 times and this guy almost gets half his career yards on 1 play making the Jets D look Silly.......28-3 GENO STINKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!   C'mon Man!!!

The fact that Geno put up some TD and made the game close enough to think the end mattered so much is what blows me away.

The selective memory Kills me.....   

Believe me.... Ryan Fitzpatrick was not winning this game - He won early games when the D was lights out was a huge plus in Takeaways... He was probably lucky to get injured early...  

Also - while out at lunch I was thinking - do ppl even remember the Oakland game for what it was or did it become the Icing on The Hate Geno cake?

1st off...  Nick Freaking Mangold was out......   so, Geno comes in cold mid drive - Throws a strike to Kerely for FG range. Jets 3-0

Oak Marches down for an Easy TD  7-3

Jets 3 and out..... OAK Marches for another easy TD  14-3.... 

Jets 3 and out... OAK Marches down for an easy TD... 21-3

OAK Defense was home, for real and playing great VS a cold QB - JETS DEFENSE WAS COMPLETELY MIA

If the Jets came to this game with a Defense like ppl thought they had then they give the QB a chance instead of making the Offense 1 dimensional and Jets RBs rushed for under 30 yards... ALL GAME!!!!!

OAK gets the ball to start the 2nd half and Taiwan Jones scampers for a 60 yard TD where Jet D whiffs about 5 times and this guy almost gets half his career yards on 1 play making the Jets D look Silly.......28-3 GENO STINKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!   C'mon Man!!!

The fact that Geno put up some TD and made the game close enough to think the end mattered so much is what blows me away.

The selective memory Kills me.....   

Believe me.... Ryan Fitzpatrick was not winning this game - He won early games when the D was lights out was a huge plus in Takeaways... He was probably lucky to get injured early...  
I didn't say Geno was the only reason they lost the game. He actually played fairly decent for the most part, but showed his shortcomings when the game was on the line.

Did you watch the last quarter? He showed no game awareness or clock management skills at all. The defense was really bad in that game, but he blew their chance to pull it out at the end. That's my point. He lacks the mental fortitude to be successful imo. He is still making rookie mistake in his THIRD season.

To me Fitzpatrick had his limitations but he knew the offense and the team responded to him. When watching him play, I always felt the team had a chance. When watching Geno play I'm always waiting for him to make the play that gives the game away (and he seldom let me down). With that said, I also wouldn't shed any tears if Fitz isn't a Jet next season. I do realize he was often bailed out by Marshall and Decker and his weak arm limits what this offense can really be. In my hearth I think on some level he "deserves" another shot but my head tells me that this season would be a disappointment and then we truly did waste a season.

Like I said. I'd be willing to give Geno one last chance, but I wouldn't blame the staff or GM if they felt it would be a waste of time to do so.

My preferences for the QB position this season:

1. Draft a rookie: Goff would be great if the Wilkerson trade to SF rumors are true. Lynch would be my second choice (assuming Wentz goes at 1). Any QB taken later than Lynch and I wouldn't fee all that great about it. If we don't get a round 1 quarterback I'd be ok with passing altogether.

2. Trade for Mike Glennon. If they can send a 4th or 5th round pick I'd like to see him get an audition with this team. He looked good to me as a rookie in TB. League sources seem to think he has a chance.

3. Give Fitzpatrick another shot if he's willing to come down on his contract demands. I doubt he can replicate what he did last season, but sometimes a journeyman finds his way late in his career (i.e. Rich Gannon). As long as they don't tie themselves to him past this season, I'll be glad to hope he has some more magic left in him.

4. Let Geno have one more shot. When he inevitably fails, let Petty gain some experience during the last quarter of the season and see option 1 above for next season.

5. Bring some other scrub journeyman like Josh McCown or Brian Hoyer in and let him compete with Geno in camp.

My preference is to Draft Lynch..... I'd even use Wilkerson to move up...

At that point, Since I NEVER favor starting Project QB's I'd throw Geno to the wolves of that killer schedule....

I'd prefer to throw Fitz to those wolves and let Lynch see how a Smart Veteran prepares and how he handles getting mangled by good D's and the NY Media...

But, Geno will do......  No matter what my Avatar is, I'm always 100% about Developing players properly..... If there was an Avatar for that, I'd use it...lol

I'd then wish Geno the best, he'll get a shot somewhere.

I sort of remember that Oakland game.  I remember the defense totally wetting the bed and I think geno had 1 absolutely horrible brain fart in the 4th quarter (did he take a really bad sack to kill a drive? For some reason that sticks out to me)

No desire to bring in someone like hoyer. None. 

No confidence in this season at all. I think we had some career years last year that won't be replicated and I have a bad feeling theyre gonna trade Wilkerson. Can't believe it had come to this. Dude should be a jet for life and they somehow screwed it up

I sort of remember that Oakland game.  I remember the defense totally wetting the bed and I think geno had 1 absolutely horrible brain fart in the 4th quarter (did he take a really bad sack to kill a drive? For some reason that sticks out to me)
He ran towards the sideline and just stopped before going out of bounds - literally just stopped and stood there frozen. He was then tackled (sacked) in bounds letting valuable time slip away. He then also failed to get a snap off before the two minute warning (despite having time) wasting more clock time. He fell apart with the game on the line.

I have a bad feeling theyre gonna trade Wilkerson. Can't believe it had come to this. Dude should be a jet for life and they somehow screwed it up
This is a weird situation. They seem to favor keeping Richardson, who is also a stud but not as impactful (in my eyes) as Wilkerson. Ricardson also has shown to be a character risk. I really can't see why this defense wouldn't be built around Wilkerson. He's more valuable than Revis at this point.a

i will be upset if they get anyone out there who is available other than fitzpatrick. guy almost led us to the playoffs and any qb out there will have to learn the playbook and has already been cast away by many teams this offseason. you sign forte and still have marshall but want a qb who will waste your season. like the gm last year, this year he is making me mad.

Less than a week fellas and the Jets are as mysterious as ever.....you dont know what the heck is going on.  Mac obviously running a much tighter ship than Rex re leaks.

Stalemate with Fitz but he's everywhere in NY with teammates...

Stalemate with Mo - and he's nowhere to be seen

Most of the immediate holes filled but many long term holes remain

What do you guys think happens?  

I think Mo is as good as gone....they ae dying for cap space and picks and dealing Mo accomplishes both - problem is that I am now convinced they wont get a 1st rder for him.  I an see a 2d and a 4th or using him as a trade up trip to move up the board (Cleveland?)......they then sign Fitz and possibly draft a young QB in the 1st or 2d.  I think Mac would like a QB ear;y but not married to it.....I hope they dont deal any of their picks to move up.  If they have decided Mo is done, I disagree but so be it....I just hope they only deal Mo in a move up and none of their other picks.  

Let's here some thoughts on how this will play out....

Let's here some thoughts on how this will play out....
Like you I'm against moving Wilkerson, but at this point I'd be surprised if it didn't happen. It does make some sense since they don't believe they can sign him long term. I've seen talk of moving up to pick 7 in a trade with San Fran and I would be ok with that. I'm really starting to warm up to the idea of adding Paxton Lynch and at this point he isn't dropping to pick 20. I don't think that precludes bringing back Fitzpatrick for a season or two. At this point I am thinking the two sides will reach an amicable solution - he obviously wants to be back (like you said he's everywhere with teammates recently).

An outside pass rusher is a necessity in the draft, especially if they do move Wilkerson.

I could live with a move up to #7 for Lynch.....as long as it is just the #20 and Mo.  

2d and 3rd rder should be a OT and pass rusher....I am hoping Maulden can giv e some pass rush help as well.  

With the extra $ they sign Fitz for 2 yrs...cut Geno and let Petty be the backup....risky?  who cares!  I love the idea of developing 2 QBs while Fitz plays.  I'd be happy if this happened!  

Clock is ticking.....gotta figure if there was serious interest in Mo it would leak at this point.....the interested team would need to have a deal in place with Mo before making a trade. Lack of any info is not encouraging....what's the least you guys would take on him?  I wouldnt go lower than a 2d and 4th this yr...other then that just keep him and get the likely 3rd rder in 2017.  

I know there is a lot of buzz on Pax but with MAc being such a BAP GM I just dont think it's going to happen.....in the end they probably stay put and grab the top player that falls rather than fill a position of need.....anyones guess but getting excited.  This is a big draft for the team.  

I have faith in Mac so I am ok with sitting tight and taking the BPA. I also think Fitz is coming back, so even just developing Petty and a later round QB behind him is fine with me.

I guess a second round pick and a (decent) player for Wilkerson would be the lowest I'd be happy with. Even with that though I'd rather just let him play out this last season and take a comp pick in the future. We're built to win now, may as well put ourselves in the best position to do that. The Pats are still the class of the division but 4 games without Brady could get them off to a slow start.

Users who are viewing this thread