What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2016 New York Jets: Kotite-like (1 Viewer)

I have faith in Mac so I am ok with sitting tight and taking the BPA. I also think Fitz is coming back, so even just developing Petty and a later round QB behind him is fine with me.

I guess a second round pick and a (decent) player for Wilkerson would be the lowest I'd be happy with. Even with that though I'd rather just let him play out this last season and take a comp pick in the future. We're built to win now, may as well put ourselves in the best position to do that. The Pats are still the class of the division but 4 games without Brady could get them off to a slow start.
Good point - the Brady suspension does change things a little.....more reason to just keep Fitz/Mo and make one more run.  

ive heard rumors that the Fitz situation is a big head fake to the league...parameters are done and they are just sitting on it so teams think they are desperate for a QB going into the draft.....I'm not sure I buy it but it would be masterful.  Mac has that place sealed down like Fort Knox.  

Good point - the Brady suspension does change things a little.....more reason to just keep Fitz/Mo and make one more run.  

ive heard rumors that the Fitz situation is a big head fake to the league...parameters are done and they are just sitting on it so teams think they are desperate for a QB going into the draft.....I'm not sure I buy it but it would be masterful.  Mac has that place sealed down like Fort Knox.  
That would be kind of interesting if true.

Less than a week fellas and the Jets are as mysterious as ever.....you dont know what the heck is going on.  Mac obviously running a much tighter ship than Rex re leaks.

Stalemate with Fitz but he's everywhere in NY with teammates...

Stalemate with Mo - and he's nowhere to be seen

Most of the immediate holes filled but many long term holes remain

What do you guys think happens?  

I think Mo is as good as gone....they ae dying for cap space and picks and dealing Mo accomplishes both - problem is that I am now convinced they wont get a 1st rder for him.  I an see a 2d and a 4th or using him as a trade up trip to move up the board (Cleveland?)......they then sign Fitz and possibly draft a young QB in the 1st or 2d.  I think Mac would like a QB ear;y but not married to it.....I hope they dont deal any of their picks to move up.  If they have decided Mo is done, I disagree but so be it....I just hope they only deal Mo in a move up and none of their other picks.  

Let's here some thoughts on how this will play out....
I guess they will probably sign Fitzpatrick unless he decides he would rather retire or play for the Calgary Stampeders. It seems either he signs with the Jets for less than what Chase Daniel is getting to stand on the sidelines in street clothes or he will not be in the NFL this season. 

Paxton Lynch may never amount to anything. He was in a simple offense in college. The Jets have two guys like that already in Smith and Petty. The quarterback from Oregon might be a better pick in round 2 or 3.

At 20, the Jets should take the best pass rusher or cornerback available.

so much smoke today, some reports that they dont like lynch and they want coleman. all i know is we do not need a wr at this time.

Report: Jets souring on QB Paxton Lynch
4/28/2016 7:58:38 AM
Memphis quarterback Paxton Lynch is the player most commonly linked to the Jets in mock drafts but Rich Cimini of ESPN New York reports he believes it will no longer happen.
Cimini says he has received late information on Lynch, and gets the sense the organization has concerns about his maturity and ability to adjust to a pro-style offense.
If the Jets use one of their six picks on a quarterback, it could be Penn State's Christian Hackenberg. Cimini hears the Jets like him.

I think the Jets are making a smart move. I think the guy has loads of talent but he strikes me as a guy that won't put in the work necessary to be a franchise QB at the NFL level whereas Wentz and Goff will.

so much smoke today, some reports that they dont like lynch and they want coleman. all i know is we do not need a wr at this time.
Coleman would be a terrible pick (and I do think he's talented). However, they spent a second on Devin Smith just last season and injuries (and Fitzpatrick's weak arm) held him back, but he still has potential.

Coleman would be a terrible pick (and I do think he's talented). However, they spent a second on Devin Smith just last season and injuries (and Fitzpatrick's weak arm) held him back, but he still has potential.
Still think Dorial Green-Beckham was the guy for Fitz. All those huge targets.

Last edited by a moderator:
It's the big day!!!

Man I hate that Devin Smith pick....reeks of yet another 2d rd bust....Jets should just trade away their 2d rd pick every yr...besides David Harris I cant remember a good one in the last 10 yrs.  

A WR certainly wouldnt be a big need at this point but I am expecting anything as Mac is a pure BAP guy....it could be any position....although I would lose my mind if it is another DL!  

Unless there is a curve ball Mo is likely a Jet for 2016 which is not a bad thing.....take one more run with a big time DL and the team has a ton of $ in the off season next yr...maybe he signs then.  

I do think there is a chance they go after the Penn St QB in the 2d rd...I hear good things about him.  Wouldnt be bad to have 2 developing QBs with upside for once!  

Another DL would not sadden me because I always say you can never have enough good ones. I say the same thing about defensive backs. 

I still like Mackensie Alexander at pick 20.

wow if true - stubborn dude!

ESPN's Adam Schefter reported Thursday that free agent Ryan Fitzpatrick has told people he would "rather not play football" than play for the Jets at their latest contract offer.
It's believed Gang Green offered Fitzpatrick a deal worth $7-8 million annually, while FitzMagic has demanded a contract worth upwards of $16 million per year. Fitzpatrick feels low balled and disrespected by the Jets, who want to retain him but are restricted by the salary cap. They could lessen their cap restrictions by trading franchise-tagged Muhammad Wilkerson this weekend.

No idea what to expect for the next few days. I trust the new regime so far so hopefully they can add some good players.

As for fitz....you're worth what the market will pay. Nobody is coming to the table with a better offer so that's what you're worth.  Just because other franchises are willing to badly over pay any qb with a pulse doesn't mean we have to. 

While this jets roster is built to be competitive with fitz at the helm next year it's in no way a serious contender.  I'd rather win 7 games with geno or hoyer under center than lose wilkerson, pay fitz and win MAYBE 10 games.(and that's beyond generous considering mo would be gone and fitz and others are likely to regress)

Fitz showed his true colors last December against buffalo. Hes the best option for next year but not at the cost of our best player.

ESPN's Adam Schefter reported Thursday that free agent Ryan Fitzpatrick has told people he would "rather not play football" than play for the Jets at their latest contract offer.
It's believed Gang Green offered Fitzpatrick a deal worth $7-8 million annually, while FitzMagic has demanded a contract worth upwards of $16 million per year. Fitzpatrick feels low balled and disrespected by the Jets, who want to retain him but are restricted by the salary cap. They could lessen their cap restrictions by trading franchise-tagged Muhammad Wilkerson this weekend.
With 1580 SAT's and a Harvard school of economics education I would doubt he ever has to put himself in harms way again and will live pretty comfortably. 

He may just NEED the NFL less than most athletes, and that may be baked into his asking price.

Man I hate that Devin Smith pick....reeks of yet another 2d rd bust....Jets should just trade away their 2d rd pick every yr...besides David Harris I cant remember a good one in the last 10 yrs.  
So if they go WR does that reflect they are giving up Smith being much of a contributor, or just insulating themselves from the big Marshall drop-off? Seems crazy to push Smith that far down the roster when he had injuries last year and they don't even really know what he can do.

$16 mil per year?!?! Are you kidding me? What a joke. This dude has made a ton of money being a journeyman and is still mediocre. 

Good luck in retirement Fitz or as someone's back-up for $3-4m.  Next season will be tough with that schedule no matter who is the QB. I'm ok with drafting Lynch or even signing Hoyer. Let the best QB win the competition in camp whether it's Petty, Geno (ugh), or the new guy.  The Jets are set up with lots of cap room in 2017. Just add some good young players in the draft.

Bradford is the most overpaid player in the league. I'd pay Fitz more than Bradford, but Fitz wanting $16 mil is pure insanity. 
But it's a new(higher) salary cap, and players get paid accordingly.

Based on the last year where should these players salaries get slotted based on performance: Bradford/Osweiler/Fitz/RGIII/Daneil?

You can't just shake your fist, stamp your feet and say, "Well these damn kids are ALL getting overpaid and they should get off my lawn! It's not fair and PHI has RUINED the entire QB market by blah blah blah....". Well, you can't do that unless you are the host of the Audible Podcast at FBG's.

Yeah, I knew that Bradford contract was going to be trouble. He's just as mediocre as Fitzpatrick plus he's made of glass. Just a horrendous contract by Philly and it really kind of screwed us.

Its right up there with Al Davis giving Asamougha QB money and totally ####### us over in all future Revis negotiations.

I admit that I dont know much about Lee but 7 yrs in a row on defense in an offensive league is driving me nuts!   Not a big fan of the pick...talk me down!

Yeah, I can't say I know anything about him either, but at first glance, its a strange one. Apparently they're gonna play him as an ILB and he's REALLY small for that spot. Obviously he's fast but was he asked to cover much at OSU? I honestly don't know. Not a lot of experience either.

1 pick isn't gonna make or break this draft though. Gotta get 2 starters tomorrow.

I liked the pick a lot. Need to have more speed at LB especially facing athletic TEs and RBs that are good receivers out of the backfield. 

Even with Revis and other decent CBs shutting down outside WRs, the Jets have been getting killed by slot receivers, receiving RBs, and runs outside the edge. We needed speed and someone with cover ability in the middle of the field. He will be a major weapon for Bowles. It's the perfect scheme for him. He's not going to be a traditional 3-4 ILB.

I admit that I dont know much about Lee but 7 yrs in a row on defense in an offensive league is driving me nuts!   Not a big fan of the pick...talk me down!
It is fine. They need more speed on defense. The Jets could take a defender in the first round the next 38 years and it wouldn't bother me

Slept on it and had dreams of Gronk and RBs that have been running free for years all of a sudden being covered by a speedy LB,,,,,I am ok with it now....it makes sense and fills a need with a good athlete.  His small size scares me a bit but read and watched a lot of good things on him.  Many mocks had him going to Atlanta at 17

My frustration is with the lack of focus on the offense in the 1st rd over the yrs.....I think the defense has been playoff worthy for a long time now and looking at the offense it has been completely ignored in the 1st rd for almost a decade now....they go after offense in the 2d and 3rd rd the last few yrs and we've seen how that has worked out!  they finally have a decent offense but it is really old......I guess it will be addressed in the 2d/3rd rds....again.  

Where do you want Mac to go in the 2d/3rd?  I'd be happy with OL, OL....need to rebuild that line!  

My frustration is with the lack of focus on the offense in the 1st rd over the yrs.....
Obviously they'll need a QB (still think Fitz eventually comes on board) but outside of that, the o-line is all that really immediately needs to be addresses on offense. Marshall, Decker, Smith, Tompkins, Enunwa, Amaro, Forte, Powell and Robinson matches up well with any collection of skill players in the league.

If Hunter Henry falls to them in the second (he may not) I would be on board with adding him offensively, but OT and G needs to be addressed sooner rather than later.

I went to high school with Darron Lee. Pretty cool seeing someone you used to hang out with get drafted in the 1st round. 

If Hunter Henry falls to them in the second (he may not) I would be on board with adding him offensively, but OT and G needs to be addressed sooner rather than later.
At this point I do think TE is a big need....Amaro was shaky his rookie yr and missing an entire season makes the position a big question mark.  A solid TE would give this team another weapon thats been missing for years.  

Rumors are that MAc really likes the Penn St QB....if they draft him does that spell the end for Fitz or Geno?  Can they realistically carry 4 QBs?  

At this point I do think TE is a big need....Amaro was shaky his rookie yr and missing an entire season makes the position a big question mark.  A solid TE would give this team another weapon thats been missing for years.  

Rumors are that MAc really likes the Penn St QB....if they draft him does that spell the end for Fitz or Geno?  Can they realistically carry 4 QBs?  
During the season?, probably not. However if they take Hackenberg, even if they don't have Fitzpatrick signed they will need to bring a veteran like Hoyer into camp. I'm not sure Hackenberg is quite NFL ready, which would mean going into the season with only Geno as an option. I think Geno would be the odd man out unless he looked really good in camp - then maybe they release "Hoyer" or even Petty.

I am okay with them taking Hackenberg but he might be picked by the time the Jets are up. Jacoby Brissett or Vernon Adams are a couple other QBs worth consideration. 

The Jets will take an offensive lineman or two. I just hope they take ones from pro style offenses.

One of the more knowledgeable ppl I follow on Twitter had Lee Mocked to the Jets and opened me up to the possibilities...

Jeff-LJ-Lloyd ‏@Jeff_LJ_Lloyd  Apr 11
With Clady now in fold I believe my current #1 #Jets target is back to Darron Lee although not sure he sees 20
Like others said, he was mocked a lot, even By Pat Kirwin to go earlier - Also saw that Matt Miller was high on him... 

Bowles is pretty desperate to add speed to that D after being ripped up way too often....

I was kinda giddy for Paxton....  Couldn't wait to change my Avatar to the "Anonymous" Giff that looks like Lynch!!!

Matt Waldman has Cardale Jones as his #2 QB in the draft - With Hack and Cook still in the mix, I'm still kinda hoping to see a QB.

But, yeah, the OL needs help.... 

One of the more knowledgeable ppl I follow on Twitter had Lee Mocked to the Jets and opened me up to the possibilities...

Jeff-LJ-Lloyd ‏@Jeff_LJ_Lloyd  Apr 11
With Clady now in fold I believe my current #1 #Jets target is back to Darron Lee although not sure he sees 20
Like others said, he was mocked a lot, even By Pat Kirwin to go earlier - Also saw that Matt Miller was high on him... 

Bowles is pretty desperate to add speed to that D after being ripped up way too often....

I was kinda giddy for Paxton....  Couldn't wait to change my Avatar to the "Anonymous" Giff that looks like Lynch!!!

Matt Waldman has Cardale Jones as his #2 QB in the draft - With Hack and Cook still in the mix, I'm still kinda hoping to see a QB.

But, yeah, the OL needs help.... 
Jones would be interesting.

Jet boards pretty hard on the QB.....I havent seen a lot of him but im of the belief that QB is so important that you draft one every yr......Chan made a journeyman like Fitz look all pro so why not!  When HAck had good coaching and a decent OL he was an uber prospect....in Chan we trust to develop either him and/or Petty....I dont have a problem with it.  Plus it gives more pressure on Fitz...in or out buddy!  

GA OLB seems to be a solid pass rushing pick.....guess no OL but decent draft at this point IMO.  

I don't have a problem with Hack in the 2nd.  Mac had him highly rated and we grabbed a good OLB in the 3rd.  Hack was considered by some prior to last season to be the best QB in this draft class and he projects as a QB who can make all the throws who quite possibly  may be the first guy on the Jets who can do that since Testaverde (Favre as well but that was 1 year rental)  which is mind blowing.  At this point BPA is the right strategy although would like to see some OL prospects the rest of this draft.  

I'm happy with this draft. I don't know that Hackenberg can be a franchise QB, but the team has to keep trying until they find one. He's a physical specimen at least who played outstanding as a freshman.

The rest of the draft they found some good players at need positions. The defense should be even better than last season, and we have hopefully found a QB of the future and will bring Fitz back aboard soon.

The Jets signed Jalin Marshall from Ohio State. He was thought to be 3rd or 4th round material before the draft.

http://nypost.com/2016/04/30/inside-christian-hackenbergs-exhaustive-nfl-prep-hes-a-slam-dunk/

Great article on Hack.... 

I'm All-In for Hack but, again, like the last  guy, I tend to 1) Have patience and 2) Tell a story that some see as "excuses" for performance issues - based on wrong systems and surrounding talent.. 

So Forgive me when I laugh at ppl who will use excuses for their New Savior but, Killed Geno because he was supposed to light the world on fire even thrown into a crap system well before time.... Hackenberg's College Career was basically "Geno'd"

EVERYONE knows Hack needs time even though he played in a pro offense well.... EVERYONE knew Geno needed Bench time coming from Mars.

But, I'll be here giving opinions on the Jets offense and how they develop QB's more than trying to close a book on a guy's career or declare him the next Rodgers before it's time..

Wow - Must Watch this...

Never heard of this Analyst but, great job of seeing the Good when most of the results and stats ppl judge on are bad....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xUh7Tia8pWM

Interesting stuff, especially for someone like me who never played football beyond pee wee and doesn't really have any idea about mechanics or reads or anything of that nature.

The beginning part on the Temple game came off a little bit "excuse-y" to me. I'm all for seeing beyond the stats, but it seemed odd to spend 8 minutes breaking down what turned out to be an incompletion (whether it was intentionally overthrown or not) That being said, the lack of quality O-line play was pretty obvious.

I really liked the part of about his shotgun footwork though. Even as a total layperson, its pretty obvious that nobody is going to have success when they just stand flat footed and then release the ball with their front foot pointed directly at the sideline. And to me, that seems like something that could easily be cleaned up.

I think the fact that he still went to (and stayed at) Penn State with everything that happened (the scandal and O'Brien abandoning him after 1 year) speaks to his character. It probably cost him quite a bit of college success and millions of dollars, but I think it shows something positive about him as a person.

Draft is done so we now start the clock on the Fitz deadline.....I really dont know what he's doing at this point.  He literally has no other starting options or teams offering what the Jets are offering....he needs to get over it and sign.  The market has spoken....he can take a 1-2 yr deal with the Jets...make $8M per yr....be the starting QB of a playoff run or be a back up or retire....I would have no problem for the Jets to make a deadline at this point and move on.  He's getting some bad advice...if he signs I assume Geno is gone.  

As for the other big story - Mo is still a Jet.....on the plus side they will have an awesome DL again next yr...plus a lot more cap room next yr to make a deal if his price falls....but what if there is no deal?  Are they able to franchise him again or is it a one and done?  Also if he walks everywhere I read assume they'll get a 3rd rd comp pick...but my understanding is it would be in the 2018 draft and thats only if they dont replace him - that correct?  More incentive to sign him long term....

Well, with ALL the QB's still there I leaned OL... But...Let's Gooooo
You're absolutely dying to make another second-round QB pick your avatar, aren't you? 

This is shtick, dammit. This is shtick!  

Watched Hack's video with Gruden last pm...I must say it is a must watch for Jet fans....this kid has uber potential.  It's clear the awful team and coaching last 2 yrs hurt him big time....give him a year to get his skills down and I think he is a possible franchise QB....However under no circumstances should he see the field before game 10 at least...and then only if it's a lost season.  Even if they hav to start Geno and have a throw away year...it will be tempting but I hope they resist the urge...I'm very excited to see what this kid can do - if he's the real deal he'll be on the upswing just as Brady is riding off into the sunset....1-2 bad yrs to get some blue chip picks the next few drafts (thinking OL and playmakers on O) is not the end of the world if they are developing a solid QB finally - get the other positions younger and faster - then Jets could be ready to make a move when the Pats come back to Earth.  

Users who are viewing this thread