What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*--* 2016 Seattle Seahawks Thread *--* (1 Viewer)

3-1

Random thoughts...

• Two weeks of looking dominant. Super cool. 
  • Seeing Sherman getting burned on multiple plays by Brandon Marshall worried me, but I was glad to see it. Getting humbled affects different people in different ways. Sherman strikes me as the type of guy that pushes himself in those scenarios. He has a passion to be great and will only work harder. That said, how impressive is to see the guy bounce back with two picks? The first interception was nearly the same play that he got smoked on earlier (back shoulder throw). You can see him peeking over his inside shoulder trying to locate the ball on both plays. First time he was late looking and he lost sight of Marshall. Second go round his timing was perfect and it was like he knew the play so well that he was rewarded for it. Knowing the play is coming can only be credited to film study. Its apparent he's putting in the time.
  • Glad to see Earl Thomas bounce back and make some plays. He got to that ball quickly on the diving interception. 
  • Glad to see Shead make plays as well. I wonder how it affects the ego having him flip sides of the field with Sherman. They never did that with Maxwell or Browner. Never. 
  • Watching Bilal Powell repeatedly burn the linebackers on third and long was tough to watch. Was glad to see KJ Wright adjust late in the game and finally take that away.
  • Where was Lockett in the offense? I get that he's been hurt, but if that's the case why even have him return punts. Having returned a few punts myself and I can say with certainty that those are the plays where I felt more likely to take a huge hit and potentially get injured. 
  • Can't say it enough. Having Russell be our QB is too cool. 
  • Another week of having Chrisine Michael hit the hole with velocity. Guy is very quick. That said, not sure how long it will be when it comes to trust. I have a tough time not thinking that he's a ten-cent head with multi-million dollar athleticism. 
  • Not sure why I keep obsessing on a thought, but I would love to see this defense lead the league in fewest points given up for five straight years. I don't know if any other NFL team has ever had a run like that. I have my doubts. Watching the 49ers get two late cheap scores and having it happen against yesterday was annoying. Speaking of that play. If Avril's hand hits the forearm of Fitzpatrick chopping down, how does the ball go forward? It can only be if the QB's arm was pushing the ball forward. How is this not an easy physics problem in the eyes of the replay guys? Speaking of replay, that was absolutely a catch and fumble early in the game. I have some thoughts about what the NFL should do with regard to the catch rule. Perhaps I'll write it all down at some point. 
  • Another week with no bad long snaps. So hoping this doesn't cost the team later on. Wish I could just forget about it. 
  • Yes, I realize perhaps no one is reading any of this. I just feel the need to jot down my thoughts. 
  • I didn't notice that Reed was out until the second half. I didn't see names enough to notice who was making plays at the line of scrimmage. Can only assume it was Rubin and Tony McD. Forte was a non-factor all game long. the entire defensive line continues to do a great job in their gap discipline. Football is a total team game, and I don't think it shows up quite so much as in run defense. Guys have to be willing to sacrifice themselves in order to allow someone else to make the play. This team contains on the edges so well. It's always up to someone to take on the tackle on the outside. NFL offensive tackles are so massive that it's a no brainer that putting yourself in that position means you won't make the play, but you have to have faith that your team mate will. My gut tells that its Pete Carroll that should get credit for this more than anyone else. It just feels like the entire defense plays for one another. 
  • I don't know the snap counts, but it felt like Lane was in the game nearly every snap. I don't remember seeing Morgan at all. 
  • WTF with Marsh making another play, but getting called for the personal foul going head to head on the QB? Again the QB lowers his head so that Marsh has no chance. Feel bad for that guy after watching him get that lame face mask earlier this season. Hope he continues to ball out. Credit will follow.
  • Another week, another fabulous catch by Baldwin. This time he got knocked into next week. In our house any player that gets hit like that is immediately "Batman". If you don't get it, watch this clip. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GPRscxQZs8E
  • A year ago when Jimmy Graham got hurt I immediately told the wife that I wouldn't be surprised to see the offense improve, and it did. Not so sure I would say that this year. guy is making a lot of special plays over the top. And another thing about Graham. Anyone think there's still a weirdness in the air from back in the day when Graham was in New Orleans for a January 2014 playoff game? Remember the 'I'm Jimmy!" war of words that Graham had with the Seattle linebackers before the Seahawks curb stomped the Saints at the cLink?
  • Paul Richardson with a sweet athletic grab down the left sideline. McEvoy wtih a long TD. How nice is it to have 5 viable targets at WR? I wonder if the Jets DBs just let McEvoy go. No way they'll throw it to that guy...
  • I wish someone else would tell me they repeatedly see Bradley Sowell false start and get away with it. I'm imagining it now, or he's the quickest off the ball BY FAR on most snaps. 
  • Richardson, Wilkerson, and Williams are perhaps the best trio of defensive linemen in the NFL. Too bad they have problems in the back end of their defense. Rookie LB Darron Lee and S Calvin Pryor had rough days yesterday. 
  • An offensive lineman named Winters? I hope I'm not the only one that saw that and immediately thought... any relation to Frankie "bag of doughnuts" Winters? His headbutt directed at Bennett was stupid stupid stupid ***. Was glad to see Avril quickly bear hug Bennett to keep him from getting the reactionary flag. 
  • Two weeks from now Julio "300 yard game" Jones comes to Seattle. Wonder if Sherman will follow him? Got my doubts. We'll probably see a lot of Earl Thomas shading that side of the field more than anything else. Earl rarely gets beat deep. 
Until two weeks from now...

Last edited by a moderator:
Hooper31 said:
3-1

Random thoughts...

• Two weeks of looking dominant. Super cool. 
  • Seeing Sherman getting burned on multiple plays by Brandon Marshall worried me, but I was glad to see it. Getting humbled affects different people in different ways. Sherman strikes me as the type of guy that pushes himself in those scenarios. He has a passion to be great and will only work harder. That said, how impressive is to see the guy bounce back with two picks? The first interception was nearly the same play that he got smoked on earlier (back shoulder throw). You can see him peeking over his inside shoulder trying to locate the ball on both plays. First time he was late looking and he lost sight of Marshall. Second go round his timing was perfect and it was like he knew the play so well that he was rewarded for it. Knowing the play is coming can only be credited to film study. Its apparent he's putting in the time.
  • Glad to see Earl Thomas bounce back and make some plays. He got to that ball quickly on the diving interception. 
  • Glad to see Shead make plays as well. I wonder how it affects the ego having him flip sides of the field with Sherman. They never did that with Maxwell or Browner. Never. 
  • Watching Bilal Powell repeatedly burn the linebackers on third and long was tough to watch. Was glad to see KJ Wright adjust late in the game and finally take that away.
  • Where was Lockett in the offense? I get that he's been hurt, but if that's the case why even have him return punts. Having returned a few punts myself and I can say with certainty that those are the plays where I felt more likely to take a huge hit and potentially get injured. 
  • Can't say it enough. Having Russell be our QB is too cool. 
  • Another week of having Chrisine Michael hit the hole with velocity. Guy is very quick. That said, not sure how long it will be when it comes to trust. I have a tough time not thinking that he's a ten-cent head with multi-million dollar athleticism. 
  • Not sure why I keep obsessing on a thought, but I would love to see this defense lead the league in fewest points given up for five straight years. I don't know if any other NFL team has ever had a run like that. I have my doubts. Watching the 49ers get two late cheap scores and having it happen against yesterday was annoying. Speaking of that play. If Avril's hand hits the forearm of Fitzpatrick chopping down, how does the ball go forward? It can only be if the QB's arm was pushing the ball forward. How is this not an easy physics problem in the eyes of the replay guys? Speaking of replay, that was absolutely a catch and fumble early in the game. I have some thoughts about what the NFL should do with regard to the catch rule. Perhaps I'll write it all down at some point. 
  • Another week with no bad long snaps. So hoping this doesn't cost the team later on. Wish I could just forget about it. 
  • Yes, I realize perhaps no one is reading any of this. I just feel the need to jot down my thoughts. 
  • I didn't notice that Reed was out until the second half. I didn't see names enough to notice who was making plays at the line of scrimmage. Can only assume it was Rubin and Tony McD. Forte was a non-factor all game long. the entire defensive line continues to do a great job in their gap discipline. Football is a total team game, and I don't think it shows up quite so much as in run defense. Guys have to be willing to sacrifice themselves in order to allow someone else to make the play. This team contains on the edges so well. It's always up to someone to take on the tackle on the outside. NFL offensive tackles are so massive that it's a no brainer that putting yourself in that position means you won't make the play, but you have to have faith that your team mate will. My gut tells that its Pete Carroll that should get credit for this more than anyone else. It just feels like the entire defense plays for one another. 
  • I don't know the snap counts, but it felt like Lane was in the game nearly every snap. I don't remember seeing Morgan at all. 
  • WTF with Marsh making another play, but getting called for the personal foul going head to head on the QB? Again the QB lowers his head so that Marsh has no chance. Feel bad for that guy after watching him get that lame face mask earlier this season. Hope he continues to ball out. Credit will follow.
  • Another week, another fabulous catch by Baldwin. This time he got knocked into next week. In our house any player that gets hit like that is immediately "Batman". If you don't get it, watch this clip. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GPRscxQZs8E
  • A year ago when Jimmy Graham got hurt I immediately told the wife that I wouldn't be surprised to see the offense improve, and it did. Not so sure I would say that this year. guy is making a lot of special plays over the top. And another thing about Graham. Anyone think there's still a weirdness in the air from back in the day when Graham was in New Orleans for a January 2014 playoff game? Remember the 'I'm Jimmy!" war of words that Graham had with the Seattle linebackers before the Seahawks curb stomped the Saints at the cLink?
  • Paul Richardson with a sweet athletic grab down the left sideline. McEvoy wtih a long TD. How nice is it to have 5 viable targets at WR? I wonder if the Jets DBs just let McEvoy go. No way they'll throw it to that guy...
  • I wish someone else would tell me they repeatedly see Bradley Sowell false start and get away with it. I'm imagining it now, or he's the quickest off the ball BY FAR on most snaps. 
  • Richardson, Wilkerson, and Williams are perhaps the best trio of defensive linemen in the NFL. Too bad they have problems in the back end of their defense. Rookie LB Darron Lee and S Calvin Pryor had rough days yesterday. 
  • An offensive lineman named Winters? I hope I'm not the only one that saw that and immediately thought... any relation to Frankie "bag of doughnuts" Winters? His headbutt directed at Bennett was stupid stupid stupid ***. Was glad to see Avril quickly bear hug Bennett to keep him from getting the reactionary flag. 
  • Two weeks from now Julio "300 yard game" Jones comes to Seattle. Wonder if Sherman will follow him? Got my doubts. We'll probably see a lot of Earl Thomas shading that side of the field more than anything else. Earl rarely gets beat deep. 
Until two weeks from now...
Thanks Hoop!

A couple of my thoughts...

Hooper31 said:
I suspect you already know this, but I don't have the same trust issues every other Seahawks fan seems to have with this guy.  I see someone who is significantly quicker and an overall better athlete than most of the people on the field.  I've seen him make one poor decision, a couple of minor nits, and a whole lot of really good stuff.  You don't do that by fluke so I'm happy to turn the running game completely over to him.  That was hard sledding yesterday and he still got 90 total yards and a TD off 23 touches--not bad at all.

Hooper31 said:
  • Not sure why I keep obsessing on a thought, but I would love to see this defense lead the league in fewest points given up for five straight years. I don't know if any other NFL team has ever had a run like that.
I think I recall that the Browns had a run in the 50s similar to this.  But that was a different age, with fewer teams and a hell of a lot less parity than you have today.

Hooper31 said:
  • If Avril's hand hits the forearm of Fitzpatrick chopping down, how does the ball go forward? It can only be if the QB's arm was pushing the ball forward. How is this not an easy physics problem in the eyes of the replay guys? 
It's a very specific "open" or "empty" hand rule.  He still pushed it forward without having direct control of the ball.  I thought it was the right call, just a bad outcome for us.  I do agree with your other statement that there certainly was two feet and a football move; I just didn't know if they were saying he was already going to the ground and therefore needed to maintain control.  Still, the NFL would be wise to clean up these types of inconsistencies.

Hooper31 said:
I see it with him the same way I used to routinely seem to see if with Okung.  I'm actually wondering if this is a Cable coached strategy, like the ref's eye can't disambiguate which movement started first based on the alignment.  I feel like if I move my DVR frame by frame I can tell he's false starting 4 or 5 times a game easy.  And for the record, the fastest off the snap was and will always be Walter Jones...and he made it look effortless.

I think I recall that the Browns had a run in the 50s similar to this.  But that was a different age, with fewer teams and a hell of a lot less parity than you have today.
And no free agency or salary cap, so no issues keeping a great team together.

4-1

Random thoughts...

• I'm huge fan of Bill Parcels. I've heard him speak in several arenas including HOF, interviews, and press conferences. One of his reoccurring themes with regard to player evaluation is "I don't know yet. We'll find out when he gets punched in the face". It's his standard answer when asked to evaluate young players, especially those that are off to a great start in their career. I'm confident he would say the same thing today if asked about Dak Prescott and Zeke Elliott. Sort of a wise man on the mountain saying, "We'll see". It's one of the reasons I love Russell Wilson so much. He's had long strings of success that eventually ended with some gloom. It's not that he fails eventually, but how he responds to failure. It's why I'm not optimistic that things will end well for Cam Newton in Carolina. Cam is facing some adversity, and not handling it well. In the epitome of team games, individual behavior can have big impact on your team mates. You can lift them up, or silently erode the comradeship needed for continued NFL success. With all this in mind, I was disheartened by what I saw yesterday in Richard Sherman. He's had bad days, but that's the first time I watched him allow himself to drown in self pity. He was putting himself above the team in those moments. I guess the positive was that his team mates rallied around him. If ever there was a moment where we got to see the family atmosphere that Pete Carroll has created, that was it. Here's to hoping that Richard will have a solid "tell the truth Monday" in meetings today. 
  • Germain Idefi is a monster. I'm so glad he's our monster. If you're not taking the opportunity to pause and rewind to see some of his run blocks you're missing out. Dude is a keeper.
  • Atlanta had almost no pass rush. Just felt like Russell could drop and fire all day. Or are Sowell and Giliam playing that much better? I'm going with the lack of ATL pass rush for the moment. Also, how nice is it to see Wilson getting rid of the ball so quickly? Let's hope this trend continues. 
  • I still don't believe in Christine Michael. He's too ready to dance around in praise of himself. There's an immature attitude there that I know the coaches see. Makes me wonder just how bad it had to have been during his first go-round with the Seahawks. It's a popular thought among fantasy football players that Rawls has lost his job to Michael. I don't think that's true. We'll see. 
  • How thankful are we for Jimmy Graham now? So weird that a year ago when he got hurt I expected the offense to improve, and it did. I don't have that thought anymore. If Graham was to miss time I think it would hurt the offense immensely. 
  • Watching Russell run hurts at the moment. When he scrambled up in the pocket before launching one downfield over Kearse's head (PI anyone?) I immediately thought he could have run for a long way. Maybe I'm wrong there, but I'm wondering if he's a bit timid at the moment. There were a couple of scrambles to the sideline where he also lacked any acceleration. Watching DE's track him down is a bit scary.
  • If Seattle's season gets derailed by a bad long snap.... I don't know. I don't want to have to worry about that, but it's the reality we live in at the moment. Those extra 4 points could have made a big difference down the stretch. As I'm getting older I'm starting to lean towards the Buddy Ryan kicker attitude. I would rather just not have to deal with them.
  • Looking like Jeff Fischer is headed towards another 9-7 bull#### season. He's never going to live that line down. 
  • Was great to see Cassius Marsh and Jarran Reed get sacks yesterday. The  Reed one was a bit comical as Ryan sort of fell into him. Credit to Reed for getting some push. The Marsh one was the clip you should see if you google "coverage sack". Ryan had ALL KINDS OF TIME before Marsh finally got there. So hoping that Bennett will be fine next week. They're so much more dynamic with both him and Avril on the field at the same time. Throw in a little Clark and its enough to make an offensive coordinator nervous. 
  • Bobby Wagner is making his case to be 1st team all-pro again. 24 tackles in two games? Damn. 
  • How different was it to see Seattle dial up so many blitzes early in the game yesterday. They put some huge hits on Ryan early in the game. Mega-respect to Ryan for taking that beating and rebounding in the third quarter. 
  • In the game thread yesterday I mentioned that I hoped Seattle didn't sit back in zone on that last drive. Elated to see them match up and play straight man allowing the blitz to put some pressure on Ryan. Worked like a charm. Blitzers made Ryan unload the ball quickly and rush throws. Well, until that last throw....
  • Sure, that was PI. Watching the replay over and over it was easy to see, but if you're an NFL referee you don't get that luxury. That said, NFL refs have to choose where to focus and they often focus on DBs heads. If they DB has his head turned around and has located the ball, he's going to get the benefit of the doubt a lot regardless of what guy's hands are doing. That happened yesterday. If you haven't been reading the player's tribune (thanks Derek Jeter) I highly recommend you check it out. Both Sherman and Harris (from DEN) recently posted some excellent reads about playing DB in the NFL.
  • So bummed I'm going to miss the game tonight. I do stats for the high school football team where I teach. Game cancelled this past Friday got rescheduled to this evening. Really wanting to see Carson Palmer in action. Is he the same guy as last year? Hasn't looked like it so far. I guess there's always the DVR. 
  • Final thought. If you haven't seen the episode of A Football Life about Parcells you should check it out. You can't lie to the man in the glass. 
  • Final thought part 2. Wife is into making a pilgrimage with me next August to Canton to watch Kenny Easley head into the HOF. How cool would it be to see my all time favorite player get inducted and hear his speech live? Now I just have to decide that I have the scratch to pay for the trip.  
Until next week. 

Ifedi has made a big difference on the o-line
I hope so, but I'm super worried about Seattle having to face a team that has decent pass rush from the outside. Sowell and Gilliam are super-suspect IMO. Counted twice yesterday again where it seemed Sowell had a false start, but there was no flag. Maybe he just has a super fast first kick slide? Someone else recently told me that. It just seems surreal that he could be that much faster than everyone else on the field. 

I hope so, but I'm super worried about Seattle having to face a team that has decent pass rush from the outside. Sowell and Gilliam are super-suspect IMO. Counted twice yesterday again where it seemed Sowell had a false start, but there was no flag. Maybe he just has a super fast first kick slide? Someone else recently told me that. It just seems surreal that he could be that much faster than everyone else on the field. 
I agree that Sowell and Gilliam are suspect.  I just hope going forward that the Hawks will continue to look at bringing in better talent for the line via early draft picks or through free agency.  They seem to be content on gambling on project players later in the draft but Ifedi has made a good case for picking o-line earlier.

I agree that Sowell and Gilliam are suspect.  I just hope going forward that the Hawks will continue to look at bringing in better talent for the line via early draft picks or through free agency.  They seem to be content on gambling on project players later in the draft but Ifedi has made a good case for picking o-line earlier.
Have they addressed the O-line in the draft since Carroll and Schneider showed up? I believe they have, but not always successfully. Draft History is an excellent site for those interested in such things. I agree they've gambled a bit on late round picks, but they also invested some draft capitol in the offensive line as well. In the 7 drafts that they've conducted they used 3 first rounders and 2 second rounders trying to address the O-line. For me the question will be one of investing in their own picks in terms of a second contract. They choose not to for Okung, Carpenter, Giacomini, Sweezy, Unger... What's going to happen going forward? I bet they continue with more of the same behavior. New England seems to do the same thing and they're also continuing to find repetitive success. 

1 Germain Ifedi G Texas A&M
3 Rees Odhiambo G Boise State
7 Joey Hunt C Texas Christian

4 Terry Poole G San Diego State
4 Mark Glowinski G West Virginia
6 Kristjan Sokoli DT Buffalo

2 Justin Britt T Missouri
6 Garrett Scott T Marshall

7 Ryan Seymour G Vanderbilt
7 Bowie

7 J R Sweezy DE North Carolina State

1 James Carpenter T Alabama
2 John Moffitt G Wisconsin

1 Russell Okung T Oklahoma State

The guy is a hack, who argued for Matt Flynn even after the 2012 season. He has some decent info, but his opinions are horrible.
The advanced stats stuff I find very intriguing.  Everyone has been wrong about personnel--I remember thinking Baldwin would be a flash in the pan after his rookie season because we didn't have anyone else to throw to.

4-1-1

Random thoughts...

• Oh hell yes, and oh hell no. All in a few minutes. How surreal was that? We had a gang of friends over to watch the game. Three of them were in their cars ready to head out when the wife ran downstairs to let them know Catanzaro missed the kick. One was already driving away. So how do we "feel" about this outcome. I feel great mostly because I watched the Carroll and Arians press conferences. Such a contrast. Regardless of game outcomes Pete Carroll cares about his players. Not so sure that's true about Arians. I would choose to play for Pete if I had the choice. 
  • Watching people complete losing their #### about the Bobby Wagner leap over the center was sad. Was it a penalty. Immediately I thought it wasn't because I know that "leaping" involves coming down a player. That didn't happen. However, several fans in the game thread assumed that Chris Collinsworth knew what he was talking about. He didn't. Go figure. 
  • Thank you, Kelcie McCray for making that last tackle. 
  • I think Johnson scored a TD on his next to last carry. Lucky that didn't get challenged. 
  • I haven't watched the all-22 film of this game, but I'm thinking that the Seattle WRs weren't getting anywhere close to open in the minuscule amount of time that Wilson before getting walloped. Who's to blame? Not sure, but on a related note I have doubts about a few of those holding calls. Also related, the thought of George Fant protecting a hobbled Russell Wilson's blindside is a scary notion. Trial by fire next week in the Bayou?
  • Cliff Avril and Bobby Wagner? Absolute complete studs. Nothing more to say there. 
  • Where did this Eliott kid come from? Glad he showed up on special teams last night. And McEvoy? Damn. How often does a WR bull rush a guy into a blocked punt. That was too cool. 
  • David Johnson is the truth. Not looking forward to many years more of dealing with that guy. He gets lots of comparisons to other RBs from the past. I see OJ or Dickerson. Tall and upright, but still manages to learn forward at the right time. 
  • I keep saying it over and over in game threads, but when it turns to crunch time I repeatedly think that I'm glad Russell Wilson is the QB in Seattle. Never had that thought with Dave Krieg or Matt Hassellbeck. Such a different feeling of confidence. I can't help but think it just permeates the huddle. Are we surprised that they started to move the ball last night when it was absolutely necessary? Not at all. 
  • How weird will it be to see Seattle and New Orleans light up the scoreboard next week? Could totally happen. I have vivid memories of seeing Brees in a Rose Bowl against the Huskies. Was blown away by his tight and accurate spiral that day. Walked away convinced he was a sure fire starting NFL QB that day. New Orleans DBs are the suck. Nothing compared to Pat Pederson and his Zona crew. 
  • Earl Thomas showed up big time again. Too early to start planning that HOF speech? He, Sherman, and Wilson are all on target. Perhaps a few others if the teams keeps winning and stats get piled up. 
  • Vannett sighting. Wish he would have caught that ball. The drops this year are starting to be a reoccurring problem as opposed to an aberration across the entire WR corps.
  • Blitzes blitzes blitzes. Wondering who is making this call. Is it Richard? Is it Carroll? I don't mean at the moment in the game. That has to be Richard. I mean during the week when they're installing the game plan. At the end of the season when we look back I'm fairly certain that Wagner and Wright will both have posted career sack numbers. 
  • Haush-money has to be dying inside today. In my experience when an NFL kicker loses confidence it happens quickly and its never pretty. A guy has to have a support structure around him to get that back. If there's a team where that's going to happen, its likely a Pete Carroll team. I expect them to rally around him. We'll see. 
  • Anyone else just waiting for Lockett to shock an opponent with a return TD? It has to just happen. Right?
Until next week...

The loss yesterday kinda sucked but they have to travel so much this year, so I expected them to lose at least one game they probably shouldn't.  I actually thought the Jets would beat them, so I was pretty happy they got out of there with a win. 

Schedule still has two east coast trips (Pats and Bucs) and also a trip to Green Bay.  That's not easy, and they get Panthers, Bills, and Eagles at home.  They also have already played at Rams and Cards, so that is a huge advantage rolling into the second half.  Beat the Bills this week, get to 5-2-1 and then the schedule lays out to finish maybe 11-4-1.  They aren't gonna beat the Pats and will probably split the Packers/Bucs, which would be fine IMO. 

The defense is amazing.  Saints nickle and dimed them to death and held the ball pretty much the whole game.  The goalline stands show the D-line even without Bennett is the best unit they've had since Jacob Green, Jeff Bryant, and Joe Nash.  Shead has improved IMO, he's becoming more dependable and with Chancellor out McCray has really done a nice job at SS. 

The officiating was not favorable yesterday but 11 penalties is awful, the team just lacks discipline at times.  Wilson not being able to run has changed the dynamic of the offense and Bevell has not really done a great job getting playmakers in the mix early in the game.  Lockett being hurt has not helped either, but it seems like they are throwing the ball too much and the playaction pass is not working. 

Christine Michael is not a smart football player, we already knew this, but he makes way too many errors in protection and formation alignment.  He's a really good RB but there is a reason this guy hasn't gotten a legit opportunity until now, he's a ####### moron.  Prosise looks good in the passing game but I think Rawls returning will give them a boost because I think Rawls is a good football player on top of being a fine RB. 

All in all 4-2-1 is fine, they can never beat the Rams at their place and they are going to lose a couple of these long road trip games.  The Rams aren't winning this division and Carson Palmer looks like poop, Matheau is dead, and the Cards look like just an ok team.  I expect them to rebound but I still think the Seahawks go at least 10-5-1, and that's gonna be enough to win the division.  11-4-1 is probably the 2 seed in the NFC and that's considering Dallas or the Vikings can maintain their starts which I doubt. 

Sorry I haven't posted much this year, I don't really get into NFL anymore until baseball is over.  :hey:

Glad to see Doc D posting in the thread. Appreciate that you bring a blunt objective perspective. Know you rub some folks the wrong way in the FFA from time to time, but it's almost always people being internet trolls or basically stupid. You just don't suffer fools. I respect that. 

Been a rough week for me personally, hence I didn't share my random thoughts yet. Don't want to get into the details, but being a high school teacher can be emotionally tough from time to time. This week was one of those times. Multiple cases of kids being in bad situations that just hurts my heart. Two suicidal. Another self destructive. A fourth just ready to give up on graduating from high school. Mine is not to reason why... Well, actually I can't keep myself from reasoning why. I care, so it continues to drive me bananas. Doing what I can to help, but too often its easy to feel helpless. Major frustration with that. Here's something that will make feel better...

4-2-1

Random thoughts...

• I'm nothing more than a week to week Seahawk fan. I guess I've got a lot of experience. I'm over 30 years of watching every play from every game. It doesn't happen often that I see something that jumps out to me as "egregious", but the two pick plays in the Saints game were something I noticed immediately. We had a large crowd of friends over to watch the game. Its not often that I hit the rewind button on the DVR to see a play again when we have a crowd, but I did on both of those plays. I'll do that a lot when its only the wife and myself. Ugh. Who wants to be the guy that whines about penalties? I don't. It's going to happen to all teams from time to time. I don't have a problem that Seattle has been leading the league in penalties called against them because I understand that their probability of a flag isn't independant from play to play. I think they get more flags because of how they play. However, after a sample size of 50 games my guess is that the flags thrown against the other team should be fairly independent. The oddity that the other team's are the polar opposite (fewest flags) is just too rare to be a statistical oddity. 1/32 * 1/31 is about 1 in a thousand. WTF?
  • Immobile Russell isn't a fun Russell to watch. 
  • I'm not surprised to see that the rest of the fantasy world is starting to see Christine Michael for what he is and what he isn't. A few seem to not want to see the truth in what  the beat writers are all reporting. That the coaching staff is hopeful that Rawls returns and gives them the healthy version they saw a year ago. This repeated commentary say a lot about Michael IMO. 
  • Britt playing well at center is a positive. Gilliam embarrassing himself at RT is a negative. Fant surviving a full game at LT is a positive. Had a rough start last week, but seemed to improve during the game. Saw one guy over a field gulls speculate about Fant moving to RT if Sowell becomes suddenly healthy. I will continue to give a Cable the benefit of the doubt. I think he's earned it. The past two years we've watched the same doom and gloom scenario improve during the season. Won't be surprised to see it happen again. I think as long as Schneider is the GM we'll have this situation. I doubt he invests any money into the O-line as an overall salary cap strategy. 
  • No problem with the final play call against the Saints. Dang close to a winning TD. How different would the narrative be if Wilson doesn't put that ball about 12 inches too long?
  • Wagner and Wright both deserving of the pro bowl. Did anyone else think about that play in the super bowl when Gronk burned Wright down the right sideline? KJ won this week. 
  • Rubin and McDaniel getting some props last week was cool. I think those guys play a huge part of keeping Seattle among the league leaders in run defense. The work they do is selfless. Easy to overlook what they do as the LOB and BWagz get all the attention. Speaking of props, Avril getting defensive player of the month was well deserved. 
  • Rex Ryan and the Bills come to town on Monday night. Completely expect Seattle to destroy the Bills. Just can't see it any other way. No way that they allow Shady McCoy to go off. They don't have threats on the outside. Nope. Not going to happen. TMobile gets hit early and often. Turnovers have to happen. Graham and Baldwin get the ball a bunch. Either Richardson, Lockett, or Kearse get one over the top. Maybe two. Feels like a blowout. Meh, maybe I'm a blind homer after all. 
  • No way Gus Bradley survives when this season is over. Watched his team lay down last Sunday. Can't help but wonder if he ends up back in Seattle. Maybe he joins Quinn in Atlanta? Players loved Bradley. They played hard for him. He'll have a job in the NFL for a long time. Perplexes me what's going on in JAX. Is he building a solid roster that will win for someone else? I think that's what happened in SF with Harbaugh. Nolan and Singletary built a monster that Harbaugh won with. Then Harbaugh left before it fell apart. 
Until next week...

So is this the week to take the Hawks +7.5?  I'm not confident Seattle can roll into Foxboro and get the win due to the way the Patriots have been playing, but in the 84 games Wilson has played in, they've only lost by more than 7 twice.  Once was by 10 and once was by 11.   And they were both week two road match ups in seasons where the Seahawks took a while to get rolling.  Having Kam back doesn't hurt either.  The +7.5 looks like money but Tom Brady scares me.   

And now that I've managed to collect my thoughts, the Seahawks will likely get their doors blown off.  :ph34r: :angry:

So is this the week to take the Hawks +7.5?  I'm not confident Seattle can roll into Foxboro and get the win due to the way the Patriots have been playing, but in the 84 games Wilson has played in, they've only lost by more than 7 twice.  Once was by 10 and once was by 11.   And they were both week two road match ups in seasons where the Seahawks took a while to get rolling.  Having Kam back doesn't hurt either.  The +7.5 looks like money but Tom Brady scares me.   

And now that I've managed to collect my thoughts, the Seahawks will likely get their doors blown off.  :ph34r: :angry:
Wish I had some better advice, but who knows? I wouldn't want to bet against Wilson or Brady. 

5-2-1

Random thoughts...

• Are people still stuck in the idea that Wilson needs to scramble to be effective? Time and time again he shows us he can destroy from the pocket. 
  • Blow out didn't happen. Heck, they nearly lost. Tyrod looked awesome. Not sure why, but I always feel bad for Bills fans. Perhaps dates back to the four straight super bowl losses. Sort of same feeling I have for Browns fans. Looking back over the past thirty years makes me think that the NFL really doesn't change that much from year to year. I guess that's built in human instinctive bias at work. We're programmed to expect symmetry in our randomness, but that's not the way random really works. 
  • Interesting though experiment. If all 32 teams in the NFL were of equal strength and each game was decided by a random coin flip, what do you think the season records would look like after 16 weeks? Out wired symmetry would tell us that everyone finishes 8-8, but that's not what's going to happen. We can really expect one team to finish with 12 or 13 wins and another team to finish with 3 or 4 wins. That's with both teams being of equal strength. It's called a binominal distribution. If you head to the following link and put n=15 and p=0.5 you can see what I'm referring to: http://homepage.divms.uiowa.edu/~mbognar/applets/bin.html
  • Another year and here we are seeing some folks complain about the play calling. Bevel is such an easy target. I think he takes what defenses give him. The running game was non-existent last week, but it may have been by design. They averaged over 10 yards per attempt throwing the ball. That's unreal, and doesn't factor in the pass interference calls as well. I won't be surprised to see them run the ball effectively again at some point this season. We'll see.
  • Speaking of running the ball, sounds like we'll get a heavy dose of Prosise this week as opposed to Michael. Michael has shown us that he has the explosiveness to be an NFL running back, but I keep going back to what the coaches say. I keep thinking that he's got to be immature, or perhaps just not that smart. There's some aspect of his personality that we don't get to see. How great would it be to sit down and talk to the guy for an hour and find out for ourselves?
  • I have mad respect for Brady and Belichick. Brady for the way he goes about his work. Belichick for his consistency over such a long time. He doesn't worry about what other's think in the slightest. I fully agree with him when it comes to replay. He's been saying for years that coaches should be able to challenge everything. What's the difference between challenging a catch and a flag?
  • And another thing about flags, pass interference rule should change. Make it 15 yards and not a spot foul. High schools and colleges have had it right for so long. So stupid that there can be a 50+ yard penalty. Such a lame bail out for teams that are getting beat and getting desperate at the end of regulation. 
  • Not sure what to think of the George Fant experiment at LT. At times he's dominating. At other's he's lost. Such a bizarre story. If Sowell comes back, do they stick with Fant? Watching the break down of his play over at Fieldgulls (link to Fant grades) is tough to take. How does a guy that athletic miss cut blocks on the back side of runs? 
  • Kam returns. Wonder how he gets used in covering Gronk. He and KJ Wright might be in for a long night. Sprinkle in some Lane there as well. 
  • Its been interesting seeing how Seattle has adjusted their base defense from week to week. Making more sense why they let Bruce Irvin go. The SAM linebacker in the Seahawk defense has turned into a weekly wildcard depending on who they play. Against run heavy teams we're seeing the more traditional Mike Morgan, KPL,  and Brock Coyle. Against the pass heavy teams that's been Lane lining up as the nickel corner nearly every down. Like a reed we will bend with the prevailing wind. 
  • This is a cool graphic for old Seahawk fans like me. https://twitter.com/fbgchase/status/797437047145373696
    So easy to see the Knox, Holmgren, and Carroll eras pop off the screen. Also, makes me realize what a horrible 20 years we suffered through. 
Until next week...

Prosise is such a HUGE improvement over Michael.  As a former WR he brings a different dimension to the offense, you can line him up anywhere and call any play.  I LOVE IT!!!!

Prosise is such a HUGE improvement over Michael.  As a former WR he brings a different dimension to the offense, you can line him up anywhere and call any play.  I LOVE IT!!!!
:goodposting:

My only concern with Prosise is pass pro. If he and Rawls are going to be an effective combo that MUST improve. 

6-2-1 and I'm not sure they should have that record.  Are they 6-2-1 good?  Absolutely, this is the most confidence I've had in this team in three years.  But they've had some luck, they were better tonight but they could have easily lost the Falcons, Bills, and Cards game so I feel fortunate. 

I'm not at all afraid of the Cowboys, or any other NFC team.  I really thought they'd lose tonight, was really hoping they'd just battle and get close.  But they should have won that game by 14+, so I'm impressed. 

GO SEAHAWKS!! :banned:

Also as I said in the game thread, I love going for two there.  Pats 2 point play is gonna be better than almost anyone's, you go up 9 and the game is yours.  At home, no but on the road, #### yeah you do that.  That's why I love Pete, he goes for it in the face of what everyone else would do. 

They looked great tonight. Defense was bend, but not break. Offense had a good running game and hit the deep passes. All of this without really using Jimmy.

proninja said:
Seahawks have been good for too long for their coach/execs to win any awards. 
Sad, but true. Amazes me that Schneider hasn't won GM of the year after continually crushing the draft and also finding undrafted FA that are making plays on this team. 

Looked awesome today. Injuries all over the place though, Earl, Fant, Prosise, Pope. Brutal.

Earl in particular with the Hammy is no bueno. 

Typical loss today, saw it coming a mile away.

Panthers, Rams, Cards at home

Packers and Niners on the road

Need to win 4 to get a bye which is doable. 

7-3-1

Random thoughts...

• Oh my. Things have been bad with the offensive line before, but they might be taking the term "offensive" to new heights. I guess that's to be expected to some degree when you start three rookies and have your hands down best lineman (Britt) not playing. Making matters worse they seemed to be toying with the idea of playing both Sowell and Gilliam having them compete for the RT job. Ugh and some other choice words come to mind. For the time being I'm still stuck in the "In Cable we trust" camp. He's earned the benefit of the doubt. If you would have told me a year ago that Britt was going to be the MVP of this line I wouldn't have believed you.
  • Extra O-line thought. I think Hunt grades out better than Ifedi. Did anyone else see Ifedi wiff on the stunt? Way too much of the pressure in this game came directly through that LG position. 
  • Rawls went nowhere rather quickly. Couple of times he just looked so jacked up that he tackled himself and lost his balance. Still hopeful there as well. I think he'll be fine, but I have to wonder why we saw Farmer late in the game. Rawls just needed a series off? Did it have to be so late in the game? Would have preferred if it were one or two possessions earlier. 
  • Defense continues to play lights out when I don't expect it. After allowing TB to ramble down the field methodically the first two possessions they pitched a shut out. Probably not a lot of folks saw that coming.
  • I still believe in Russell. How could anyone think that up until that last INT that Seattle had a better than average shot at winning that game? Was his inaccuracy due to being swamped super fast via the porous O-line? Let's just say that was it and move on. 
  • Clark keeps impressing, but he and Avril didn't log a sack. Sure, Clark got the safety on what would have been a sack, but Avril sure disappeared for stretches of the game. They miss Mike Bennett something fierce. Perhaps my expectations aren't exactly fair. 
  • Three weeks ago if someone told you that Seattle was going to split the last two road games I don't think anyone would have debated that much. It just didn't work out like we thought it would. As always, no team is usually as good or bad as the typical hyperbole would seem to indicate. 
  • I think starting fast next week will be super important. Cam Newton is emotionally a pouting child. He nearly put together a late comeback on the Raiders, but that's a defense that lacks the killer instinct we're used to in Seattle. I don't think they let up off the gas if they get Carolina down early. 
  • Super disappointing that we have yet to see a game impacted by a Lockett punt or kick return. That just has to happen at some point? Right? He looked plenty quick on that jet sweep. 
  • Surprised to not see more all out blitzes this week. Richard doesn't want to call them early in the game. Wagner and Wright will likely be hitting Newton some next week if the trend we saw earlier in the season continues. I doubt they just sit back in their zones like they did against TB. 
  • I think Kearse might be earning his way to the bench. The percent of targets that are turning into positive yardage continues to frustrate. 
  • Another primetime game next Sunday. If I recall correctly they're going to be wearing the bright all green uniforms. Not sure my eyes are going to be able to take that. At least it will afford talking heads on TV a lot of comedy material. 
Until next week. 

Earl Thomas with a cracked shin bone and the inability to express himself on Twiiter. 

Rawls looks amazing, too bad Prosise is injured because this offense is at full speed right now.  Lockett healthy, Graham healthy, Wilson healthy, O-line getting good at run blocking.  Not pass blocking, but if Wilson is healthy they can deal with that. 

Earl Thomas with a cracked shin bone and the inability to express himself on Twiiter. 

Rawls looks amazing, too bad Prosise is injured because this offense is at full speed right now.  Lockett healthy, Graham healthy, Wilson healthy, O-line getting good at run blocking.  Not pass blocking, but if Wilson is healthy they can deal with that. 
I've got no problem with Thomas tweet. He's an emotional guy. It's that emotion that makes him great. 

Agreed Rawls looks great. Has that passion we need in the backfield. 

I've got no problem with Thomas tweet. He's an emotional guy. It's that emotion that makes him great.
Stay off Twitter when you are in your weakest moment.  I understand what he wrote but it's better saved for another day and it's a huge downer on the team and fanbase.  Plus he needs further tests and evaluation, it's not like he tore his Achilles, ACL, MCL, and PCL on the same play.  Broken bones heal for mortals, they'll heal for Earl too. 

Agreed Rawls looks great. Has that passion we need in the backfield. 
He looked awesome, but again he's really gotta stop seeking contact (at least the way he's doing it).  He was in the concussion protocol (and passed to get back in) but didn't have much of a role because of the blowout.  If he keeps doing what he's doing I don't think he'll last long and we'll be in real trouble for the playoffs.  Hopefully Prosise can get back quickly.

8-3-1

Random thoughts...

• Another dominating performance by our Seahawks, or another dismal one from Carolina? Oh, how the mighty fall. Are we shocked? I'm sure not. The line that continually comes to mind with regard to Cam Newton is "Hubris before the fall". He's a petulant child. An enormous and athletic one, but still an immature child that doesn't know what it means to put others on his team before himself. F the whole tie fiasco. That's just a tiny symptom of a much larger problem. Looking back it appears Nolan Nawrocki was the only one brave enough to say "Does not spin a tight spiral. Very disingenuous—has a fake smile, comes off as very scripted and has a selfish, me-first makeup." How right was he? He got destroyed by the rest of the media for that write up. Kudos to you Nolan to calling it like you saw it. Regardless, that's a team in trouble. They just got lit up by an offense that struggles badly on the offensive line. 
  • Another week of nobody calling for Darrell Bevell's head. Much like Tom Cable I think he's earned the benefit of the doubt on a weekly basis.
  • Yes, watching Rawls explode through some holes and having a big game was super-cool, but how fun are his press conferences? That's a guy that straight up loves his job. He's passionate about it. The perfect Marshawn Lynch replacement? I think so. Will he stay healthy? We sure hope so. 
  • Finally a solid game from Jermaine Kearse. How sure were we that he was about to get called for offensive PI again last week?
  • Pro Football Focus. Big fan. Love the work they do in grading players. Wish I had a full subscription to their service, but I only get to see some of their grades via twitter. They let a ton of information go for free if you look, but not all of it. Bradley Sowell was their lowest graded player in the entire NFL last week. The whole league. Worst of 32*53=1696 players. Okay, there were some teams with a bye, but still... At some point they have to make a decision at RT. My gut says they hope that Gilliam will respond well to being benched for a week. 
  • Speaking of PFF, KJ Wright got lots of love this past week. Highest graded Seahawk by PFF. Sparking quite a bit of pro-bowl vote support for our lesser known quality LB. I thought Wright outplayed Wagner last year. Can't say that I think he's doing it again, but I don't have a problem tipping my cap to the man and acknowledging his continued great play. 
  • Anyone else noticing that Jarran Reed might be a bit of a trouble maker? I hope it doesn't cross over into that "dirty player" label. The center from TB claimed he spit in his face, and several times this year it seems that Reed is the guy that's in the middle of extra post-play activities. I guess the thing that concerns me is that he's the guy with the "wasn't me" hands in the air look that generally indicates that it certainly was him. We'll see. 
  • The Earl Thomas broken leg is bad, like, really bad. My wife is crushed. Earl is easily her favorite player. I feel bad for the guy. He's sort of like the anti-Cam Newton type player that every loves. He plays with selfless passion. I don't think the team will miss him as much as the hyperbole we hear from the talking heads on TV. Sure, they will miss him, but I think Steven Terrill is a solid player that could be starting for other teams. When I say "really bad" I mean that I feel bad for the guy. I bet he totally avoids the spotlight. Its going to kill him watching his brothers compete and he can't help. 
  • Looking forward to watching the NFL Timline episode off my DVR that recorded this week. 1984 seen as a savior season for the NFL. That's the time period where I feel in love with the NFL. Our Seahawks were legit contenders. Wonder whether they will merit any portion of the story. Hoping so. 
Until next week. 

8-4-1

Random thoughts:

That's the worst game they've played since Carroll became coach and they were awful in all phases of the game. 

They'll probably win their last three games and be the second seed, but that performance today doesn't happen to a championship team.  That was just downright gross. 

That's the worst game they've played since Carroll became coach and they were awful in all phases of the game. 
Okay, not that I'm properly logged in...

Turned to my wife and said this exact same thing today. That said, I believe strongly in variability. It exists in all things around us. Was bound to happen at some time. 

Users who are viewing this thread