What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2016 Survivor Pool Discussion (1 Viewer)

I kinda like Baltimore in a week where there are very few locks if any. Oakland has to travel across the country and their defense is a mess. 
That's not a bad pick. I like Baltimore at home vs Cleveland week 10. Oakland is a weird team to figure out. 2 weeks ago people were advocating picking them to beat Atlanta at home, and now we are talking about them losing to Baltimore on the road (IMO Atlanta > Baltimore). Baltimore probably wins that game. Not a bad game to use them if you've got better options for week 10 (AZ, GB, TB)

hmmm... Interesting... only thing I don't like is it's at Chicago, and divisional game. If I make it to week 14 I'd probably take them at home vs Chicago. I could get over the divisional aspect if it was not on the road, but this is playing with fire
The Bears have won 1 of their last 11 home games.  I'm a huge Bears fan and I haven't seen much to prove to me that the Bears will win this weeks game.  The defense is going to have to play much better and the offense needs to score which they are very bad at.

I know it's not a lock but this has to be one of the top 5 picks this week.

The Bears have won 1 of their last 11 home games.  I'm a huge Bears fan and I haven't seen much to prove to me that the Bears will win this weeks game.  The defense is going to have to play much better and the offense needs to score which they are very bad at.

I know it's not a lock but this has to be one of the top 5 picks this week.
DET is the 7th most popular pick at 2.2% of users this week if you click the link in my OP.
56.6% chance of winning the game. 

My initial plan had HOU in this spot.  Extra rest after a Thursday night game vs TEN.

They're coming home after a bad loss to NE so should be motivated but not sure how loss of JJ affects team.

But HOU gave up 3 rushing TD's against NE (including the QB) and TEN can run (including the QB).

Thoughts?

I also like CIN over MIA. Aside from the spread, you get it over with Thurs night.

I can't bring myself to trust WAS over CLE which prob means it will be a blowout for WAS.

Miami is such a crap shoot when you pick them. At least we survived... so many in my league picked Arizona and got burned. 

Onto Week 4!! A tough one...

Los Angeles at Arizona: Arizona coming off of a disappointing loss and hosting one of the worst teams in the league. The only down side is it's a divisional game
I hate picking divisional games, but I think I'm leaning toward this one. You have to imagine Arz will bounce back in a big way.

DET is the 7th most popular pick at 2.2% of users this week if you click the link in my OP.
56.6% chance of winning the game. 
1. Division

2. Road

3. Lions D is featuring 3rd string LBs and their top 2 DEs are probably out in Ansah and Taylor. This same D allowed 31 first half points before GB threw it into cruise control.

4. It's the Lions

What's not to love?  :lmao:  They may win but there is nnnnnoooooo way I'm going there.

I hate picking divisional games, but I think I'm leaning toward this one. You have to imagine Arz will bounce back in a big way.
They lost to the Rams at home last year after being heavily favored. Granted that was a different Rams team but still... 

My initial plan had HOU in this spot.  Extra rest after a Thursday night game vs TEN.

They're coming home after a bad loss to NE so should be motivated but not sure how loss of JJ affects team.

But HOU gave up 3 rushing TD's against NE (including the QB) and TEN can run (including the QB).

Thoughts?

I also like CIN over MIA. Aside from the spread, you get it over with Thurs night.

I can't bring myself to trust WAS over CLE which prob means it will be a blowout for WAS.
Houston Tennessee to me is just a mess I don't want to touch.Two bad-ish teams going at it. No JJ Watt so what is the pressure going to be like? TEN can run, as you said. I can see picking Houston to bounce back with extra rest and motivation to avoid another embarrassment. For me, like I said above in one of my posts... I am less confident about that as I am about Washington.

This is a tough week

Last edited by a moderator:
Cincinnati homer here, and I'm going to hold my breath and pick the Bengals.

Dalton in particular has a terrible record in prime time, but these Thursday night games are hardly special occasions anymore.  The Bengals have lost a lot of talent on both sides of the ball to free agency, and the absence of Eifert is huge.

Bottom line, I'm banking on the return of Burfict.  He's a dirty playing nutcase, but his aggression elevates the entire defense.  The Bengals pass rush has been feeble this season, but Burfict's return should generate a spark.

Cincinnati homer here, and I'm going to hold my breath and pick the Bengals.

Dalton in particular has a terrible record in prime time, but these Thursday night games are hardly special occasions anymore.  The Bengals have lost a lot of talent on both sides of the ball to free agency, and the absence of Eifert is huge.

Bottom line, I'm banking on the return of Burfict.  He's a dirty playing nutcase, but his aggression elevates the entire defense.  The Bengals pass rush has been feeble this season, but Burfict's return should generate a spark.
Wow I remember this with the bengals being historically terrible prime time. Since the Dolphins are involved I'm avoiding at all costs. 

Pretty sure I'm rolling with Washington this week

Pick who you want but that scares me as much as Miamis unreliability

Point is, it can and did happen just a yr ago so be careful
True but believe it or not, the Rams had a better O and D for that game than they do now.  Cards are coming off an embarrassing loss and can't afford to lose this Division game.

True but believe it or not, the Rams had a better O and D for that game than they do now.  Cards are coming off an embarrassing loss and can't afford to lose this Division game.
I agree. I'm just very gun shy. Don't get me wrong, I'm not entirely confident on any pick this week. 

I hate this week.

AZ at home sounds great, but AZ has looked more bad than good for a LONG time now, going back to last season.  It's as strong a pick as there is on the board, tho.  

I kind of like DET against CHI, but that's the 2nd road game in a row, vs. a divisional opponent.  There are probably a bunch of gamblers in Vegas taking that home dog to win outright.  Can't do that. 

NEP at home vs. BUF.  I know BUF just won a nice game at home, but I still think they are a dumpster fire, and I think the Cardinals are on the way down.  This might be a nice against the grain pick, if you are hoping for a bloodbath in AZ.  Kind of warming up to this pick.  It is a divisional game, and will be Tony G or Jacoby, but that's not as scary cas it once was, is it?

CIN gets the Dophins at home, who should have lost at home by 2 field goals to the Browns.  Fins without Misi and Pouncey as well.  But it's one of those ugly Thursday games, and CIN gets CLE two more times this year. 

WAS  at home vs. CLE will be hot, but not as hot as it would have been after everyone took Miami and had the #### scared out of them.  

It's week 4, and we are due for a bloodbath.  I'm really going to be thinking about this a lot.

Oh hey, the big pool I enter does a week 5 pool every year, there'll be as few thousand people in it.  PM for details.  100 bucks.

This is a great time to pick the Lions.  The Bears are a mess and the Lions can pass all over them.  I don't think there are too many other times I would pick the Lions so this is a great place for them.  The next time they play the Bears they'll be at home so that could be good too but the Bears will most likely be healthier.
I was thinking the same thing when I took the Lions vs the Titans. Good thing it's a double elimination pool.

Picked CIN and advanced in my main pool but forgot I was doing another new charity one this year and forgot to enter them.  This is where my pics diverge I guess, now need to pick another winner for Sunday. Don't want to take WAS or ARI though as that's where the majority of the other entries are and I want to root against them.

Picked CIN and advanced in my main pool but forgot I was doing another new charity one this year and forgot to enter them.  This is where my pics diverge I guess, now need to pick another winner for Sunday. Don't want to take WAS or ARI though as that's where the majority of the other entries are and I want to root against them.
I was in this situation as well, but I just went with Washington because this is the last game you can pick them on. I've done pretty well getting by with crappy teams:
Houston, Carolina (my only good team used), Miami, now Washington. I am saving AZ. If you're looking for an out of the box pick take Detroit or Dallas... 

I thought CIN wouldn't be a massive play, but 1,000 of the 4,000 left in my pool took them.

I have WAS this week as well, and feel pretty good about it really.  

Hate to say it... What am I saying everyone likes when they're right... But Arizona and New England were definitely not good games to pick. Hope you guys leaning that way changed them. 

Survived with washington... Onto week 5...

Stuck with HOU so through on both.  Stupid Browns and their turnovers, let WAS off the hook.

I had the Packers penciled in for week 5 at the beginning of the season.

Playing off a bye and they get the Giants after MNF against a tough D.

Will be keeping an eye on the game tonight.

Other options:

NE @ CLE - Brady smash

CAR vs TB - Cam?

PIT vs NYJ - PIT O is rolling

There's a risk with every team in the NFL.  Cardinals seemed like a good pick and sucked too.  Oh well, I last one more week than last year.
Rule #1 - No road games

Rule #2 - No divisional games

Loins violated both, Cardinals violated one, Patriots violated one. I mean, sure...there's times you're going to have to break one when there's no other options available.

I'm meh on #2 and have already picked a couple divisional games this season.

Whats it worth to you in points?  If best spread is a divisional game at -10, how much of a difference with the second best to make you pick it? 3 points? 7 points?

I'm meh on #2 and have already picked a couple divisional games this season.

Whats it worth to you in points?  If best spread is a divisional game at -10, how much of a difference with the second best to make you pick it? 3 points? 7 points?
I don't just look at the spread, but the % of public money on the favorite.  If it is north of about 65%, AVOID.

Week 5

NE at CLE: (-10.5) After crapping the bed at home vs Buffalo you can bet they're going to give it to Cleveland. Brady back, he's hungry I'm sure. Most popular pick of the week. Looking over the rest of the season, New England has LA and @SF on the schedule as the most attractive picks, but there are several other teams with good matchups those weeks too. New England is losing it's "future pick value" and I think this is the week to pick them... even though everyone else is too. The good advice is to take the safe bet this week and live to fight another day 

PIT vs NYJ:  (-7) PIT looks awesome. The Jets are a little banged up at WR. I can't see the Jets sticking with the Steelers on this one.  The only reason I think you take this game is you want to be different and save NE, but like I said above NE doesn't have a whole lot to save for. PIT is @ CLE when NE is @ SF Week 11, so maybe that's the game you save NE for and use PIT here. You can also use PIT next week hosting Miami... if people want to bet against Miami... I may take this pick to save NE but I think there's a greater chance the Jets upset the Steelers than the Browns upsetting the Pats

GB vs NYG: (-7) GB does not look great, neither does NYG. Opposing teams have lit up the GB passing defense. I can't see GB losing this one having an extra week, meanwhile the Giants have one less day to prepare. I have GB penciled in hosting CHI or @TEN so I will pass on using them.

MIN vs HOU: (-6.5) Kind of running out of games to pick MIN for unless you like them vs some weaker divisional opponents. This could be a good one to nab. MIN looks good. Their defense is excellent, especially their rushing defense. I could see people going against the obvious choices to take MIN this week

Those are the only games I see as pick-able this week. Others are just asking for a loss... 

Hawkeye21 said:
There's a risk with every team in the NFL.  Cardinals seemed like a good pick and sucked too.  Oh well, I last one more week than last year.
Of course there's risk, it's the NFL but these pools are all about mitigating risk with sound reasoning at that point in time. Sorry man, but for all the reasons already stated, Detroit was not a good pick.

You mention Arizona, another divisional game. Arizona lost to the Rams last year too when they were playing great ball. These teams can change coaches and philosophies but it doesn't matter. The vets on these teams may have played against each other 16 times in their careers which neutralizes the normal player to player advantage better teams may have.

I could go on and on about road winning %s, NFC vs AFC games etc..etc...and it all matters in risk mitigation.

I'm curious what you got about NFC vs. AFC?
Without doing the leg work for actual stats, I have noticed the tendencies for heavy dogs playing on the road AND out of conference to lose more often. It makes sense since a lot of the tie breakers surround divisional play and same conference winning percentage. Winning the non conference games is naturally less emphasized and the players play like it IMO. You can also take away a lot of the rivalry factor and player familiarity when teams play so infrequently. I could be completely wrong but the theory has worked for me in survivor leagues. :pickle:

So, I'm looking to get a leg up, and avoid using NE this week.

Possibilities:

OAK at home vs. SD.  Divisional game.  Yes.  But OAK has offense crusing right along, and SD has lost Keenan, Manti, Verrett, and Woodhead.  Woodhead, in particular, has been a Raider Killer.  

SF at home vs. AZ.  AZ is reeling, and Palmer is out.  Contrarian pick.  

IND at home vs CHI.  CHI is without Cutler, can they score enough on the road.  CHI cannot rush the passer well, this matchup looks good.  

GB has NYG at home.  I dunno.  GB has many games left I like.  

Possibilities:

OAK at home vs. SD.  Divisional game.  Yes.  But OAK has offense crusing right along, and SD has lost Keenan, Manti, Verrett, and Woodhead.  Woodhead, in particular, has been a Raider Killer.  

IND at home vs CHI.  CHI is without Cutler, can they score enough on the road.  CHI cannot rush the passer well, this matchup looks good.  

Why not Minn at home vs Hou?  If Eli and Cam can't get it going against this defense I don't see Osweiler doing it either.

Very good call, there.
I don't trust GB this week.  Eli historically has done well at Lambeau and the Packers pass defense has been terrible these first few weeks.  Plus with all the Odell drama this week I could see him and Eli going off this week.

I don't trust GB this week.  Eli historically has done well at Lambeau and the Packers pass defense has been terrible these first few weeks.  Plus with all the Odell drama this week I could see him and Eli going off this week.
Yeah, man, this game smells to me too.  

I'm gonna wait for GB to lose one they should win, then use them next home game, lol.  

Possibilities:

Every single one of ur picks almost seem like coin flips. I'll be too much of a nervous reck picking them 

Every single one of ur picks almost seem like coin flips. I'll be too much of a nervous reck picking them 
I feel ya.

Thing about Survivor is you have to, at some point, zig when everyone zags, or you get knocked out.

Pick some toss ups now, or later in the year.  

Played 3 games at Lambeau, last one was 4.5 years ago...

NFC Championship (1/20/08)

Giants 23 - Pack 20

New York Giants

Att

Cmp

Yds

YPA

TD

Int

Lg

Sack

Loss

Rate

Eli Manning

12/26/10

Pack 45 - Giants 17

New York Giants

Att

Cmp

Yds

YPA

TD

Int

Lg

Sack

Loss

Rate

Eli Manning

85t

NFC Division Playoff (1/15/12)

Giants 37 - Pack 20

New York Giants

Att

Cmp

Yds

YPA

TD

Int

Lg

Sack

Loss

Rate

Eli Manning

66t

You have me second guessing my pick though. I liked that GB is coming off the bye while NYG is coming off MNF with turmoil. Had to send in my pick last night though so that ship has sailed.

Played 3 games at Lambeau, last one was 4.5 years ago...

NFC Championship (1/20/08)

Giants 23 - Pack 20

New York Giants

Att

Cmp

Yds

YPA

TD

Int

Lg

Sack

Loss

Rate

Eli Manning

12/26/10

Pack 45 - Giants 17

New York Giants

Att

Cmp

Yds

YPA

TD

Int

Lg

Sack

Loss

Rate

Eli Manning

85t

NFC Division Playoff (1/15/12)

Giants 37 - Pack 20

New York Giants

Att

Cmp

Yds

YPA

TD

Int

Lg

Sack

Loss

Rate

Eli Manning

66t

You have me second guessing my pick though. I liked that GB is coming off the bye while NYG is coming off MNF with turmoil. Had to send in my pick last night though so that ship has sailed.
Strange I thought Eli was better than that...I guess that divisional playoff is fresh in my mind.  GB is probably a fine pick and it's great they are coming off a bye.  As a Packer fan I just hate all the negative attention Odell is getting.  I don't want him to have any more motivation to torch a depleted secondary which the Packers have without Shields.

Strange I thought Eli was better than that...I guess that divisional playoff is fresh in my mind.  GB is probably a fine pick and it's great they are coming off a bye.  As a Packer fan I just hate all the negative attention Odell is getting.  I don't want him to have any more motivation to torch a depleted secondary which the Packers have without Shields.
I'm banking on external turmoil = motivation (I'm going to kick their a$$es) but internal turmoil = distraction (why should I play for these a$$es?)

We'll see.

I have two slots left in my big contest.

Took OAK and IND.  

NE is a big play, no doubt, but if I advance, I have advantage over every other team that took NE early.  

No guts, no glory.

Go Cleveland.

Users who are viewing this thread