What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2017 Raiders - how's the 2018 draft looking? (1 Viewer)

What do you guys think about Lynch's prospects this week? Was the game before the bye week a harbinger of good things to come or are we expecting the team to back off the run game like it did early in the season?

Pats have stayed in Colorado following the Donkey game and continuing to train at elevation. We're at sea level. I remember last year that both us and the Texans were completely out of gas towards the end of the game. Just another thing to add to the bad feelings...

Pats have stayed in Colorado following the Donkey game and continuing to train at elevation. We're at sea level. I remember last year that both us and the Texans were completely out of gas towards the end of the game. Just another thing to add to the bad feelings...
I find that weird as well. After all, they spent the whole week staying on the East coast to prep for Miami. That seemed to work out, as cruddy as we played.

Why not do more prep at high altitudes in prep for this game? Limiter masks aren't really the same thing.

The Raiders can keep this game competitive if  1) they don't turn the ball over and  2) win the special teams play. (Winning the special teams play is Billichik's secret sauce. They got 24 pts last week due in large part to special teams play.)

They can win the game if they do 1 and 2 and turn the Pats over a couple of times and the offense shows up.

I expect a very high scoring game. Brady and Gronk (or their TEs group) are gonna carve up the defense. 

FreshiZ said:
Saw an article about this. Basically said you need 6-9 weeks at elevation to acclimatize and what pats are doing could actually be detrimental. With 6-9 weeks prep the next best thing is to travel 1-2 days before the game 

Saw an article about this. Basically said you need 6-9 weeks at elevation to acclimatize and what pats are doing could actually be detrimental. With 6-9 weeks prep the next best thing is to travel 1-2 days before the game 
I can only speak from my own experience but I would fly from sea level to Colorado and the very 1st day start hiking up to 12,000ft for some powder lines. 1st day there would be a noticeable headache but after one week of abusing my body with alcohol and physical exertion I could do that same hike no problem (nice to be young). Definitely would acclimate with one week's time.

Honestly none of it matters, the only chance we have is to get some miracle pick 6 and have the Pats drop some key balls. Brady can just sit there and dink and dunk us to death, we don't currently have the skilled players or defensive scheme to stop them, not to mention no pass rush. I would feel so much better if Conley was in there. Our D line needs to play to their full potential+.

Is Obi playing? I'd like to just see them stick him on Gronk and see what he can do. That's why we got him so let's throw him into the fire and see what he's got.

I cant believe Gruden would rather go to Tampa than to the Raiders ...wtf

Pewter Report’s Scott Reynolds believes there’s "interest on both sides" between the Bucs and Jon Gruden.

Gruden has been broadcasting with ESPN since getting fired from Tampa in 2008. He’s turned down multiple offers from teams, but hasn’t ruled out a return to coaching. With Dirk Koetter on the hot seat, it’s possible the Bucs reunite with Gruden after the season. Tampa has a franchise quarterback in Jameis Winston and a playoff-caliber roster. There are behind-the-scene rumors the Bucs are the job Gruden wants.

Pewter Report’s Scott Reynolds believes there’s "interest on both sides" between the Bucs and Jon Gruden.

Gruden has been broadcasting with ESPN since getting fired from Tampa in 2008. He’s turned down multiple offers from teams, but hasn’t ruled out a return to coaching. With Dirk Koetter on the hot seat, it’s possible the Bucs reunite with Gruden after the season. Tampa has a franchise quarterback in Jameis Winston and a playoff-caliber roster. There are behind-the-scene rumors the Bucs are the job Gruden wants.
Location?

He lives in Fl so that may be one thing. Also the Raiders are moving to Vegas in 2 years. Maybe he doesn't want to take over and then in one year have to deal with moving a team to Vegas and maybe he hates Vegas and wouldn't want to live there. We sure could use him though...

I had the score about right when the Raiders played the Ravens but the teams wrong. So I'll just say 49-20 for somebody today. :D

I was afraid the gameplan would be to sit back and get picked apart all day by Brady and bring no pressure.  Looks like that is what they decided on.

The difference between wins and losses is turnovers. 3 Raiders can't even fall on a fumble and the Pats make a miracle interception. Who wants it more? It's pretty obvious.

Somebody please put Roberts on the bench and keep him there! The 2017 version of the Raiders is garbage! The Pats are beatable this year.

I thought i was buying low on carr and crabtree when i traded for them a couple of weeks ago...turns out i should have just stuck with whatever qb was on the waiver wire.  

Bruno2 said:
Somebody please put Roberts on the bench and keep him there! The 2017 version of the Raiders is garbage! The Pats are beatable this year.
Amen. Raiders had a chance to get back into the thick of things and fell on their face. 

I really hope next year, whoever the coaches are, put a little focus on defense. And I think Reggie gets way too much credit. Yeah he drafted no-brainer like Mack and Carr but he has really missed with his 2nd round draft picks. And the FAs he's brought in on defense have pretty much bombed.

Last edited by a moderator:
I really hope next year, whoever the coaches are, put a little focus on defense. And I think Reggie gets way too much credit. Yeah he drafted no-brainer like Mack and Carr but he has really missed with his 2nd round draft picks. And the FAs he's brought in on defense have pretty much bombed.
They have 88 yards passing against the worst pass defense in the league...

They have 88 yards passing against the worst pass defense in the league...
My point exactly! This defense is historically bad. How can a team not have one freaking interception by week 10? Christ! Every now and then you gotta get lucky and get one off a deflection or something. Just mind boggling. I'd be worried they would lose if they were playing the Browns next week.

A few random thoughts of the 3 quarters of football I watched.

• This was not the same team that beat KC a few weeks ago.
  • Bad bounce on the deep ball to Holton resulted in the the INT.  Made Carr's first half stat line worse then what it was. 
  • Lynch was running great, and they needed to stick with him.
  • This week Richard was the better back than Washington.  
  • Roberts had a great trifecta in the first half;  Bad drop, false start penalty, and the redzone fumble.
  • They need to tape a football to Roberts hand, and then tape the same arm to his body for a full week.  No excuses on that fumble.  Redzone, got the first down already. Time on the clock, and timeouts to use. Take the tackle and protect the ball. 
  • Not sure I saw the push-off call along the sidelines on Cooper.  
  • The line seemed to be blocking well in the run game. 
  • The Cooks TD when he got behind Obi, was 50% on Obi for seemingly understanding his role in that coverage, and 50% on Nelson for not getting over to cover. 
  • Why not involve Cooks Cook more? (edited because I'm an idiot)
  • The play call on the 4-1 was bland, boring, predictable, and used the 5th best runner on the team. 
Not sure there are better options readily available at the moment for a new HC, OC, or DC.  But man... this is getting tiring. 

• Bad bounce on the deep ball to Holton resulted in the the INT.  Made Carr's first half stat line worse then what it was. 
  • Roberts had a great trifecta in the first half;  Bad drop, false start penalty, and the redzone fumble.
  • They need to tape a football to Roberts hand, and then tape the same arm to his body for a full week.  No excuses on that fumble.  Redzone, got the first down already. Time on the clock, and timeouts to use. Take the tackle and protect the ball. 
  • The Cooks TD when he got behind Obi, was 50% on Obi for seemingly understanding his role in that coverage, and 50% on Nelson for not getting over to cover. 
  • Why not involve Cooks more? 
  • The play call on the 4-1 was bland, boring, predictable, and used the 5th best runner on the team. 
Not sure there are better options readily available at the moment for a new HC, OC, or DC.  But man... this is getting tiring. 
Then they need to cut the tape above the Roberts line.

• Why not involve Cooks more? 
6/148/1 is plenty involved in my eyes.

I had a feeling that I would not want to watch this game.  So happy that I didn't.   It is shame that the Raiders didn't take advantage of a weak AFC this season.   Looks like it will be the same old Pats or Steelers in the SB.   Lots of obvious issues like no depth at WR and an awful D.   

My point exactly! This defense is historically bad. How can a team not have one freaking interception by week 10? Christ! Every now and then you gotta get lucky and get one off a deflection or something. Just mind boggling. I'd be worried they would lose if they were playing the Browns next week.
To rub a little salt in the wound.

Austin Gayle‏ 
@AustinGayle_PFF
Ex-#Raiders CB DJ Hayden ranks 29th in passer rating allowed (72.6) among CBs with 101+ coverage snaps this season, 40 spots above any OAK cornerback.

It is most definitely coaching and scheme. :X

The play call on the 4-1 was bland, boring, predictable, and used the 5th best runner on the team.
That's a GREAT point. If that was Downing's personnel as well as call, he needs to go--now. He's obviously in way over his head. Can't come up with a good game plan during the week (in this case he had two weeks) and he can't make the most simple call during the game.

huh?  my comment was in reference to the Patriots game.  Cook when 2/36 on 5 targets.  But only had one target in the first half.
One of you is talk about the NE WR and one of you is talking about TE OAK. 

Cooks != Cook

What an abomination. Why we aren't making changes -- any changes -- right now is unfathomable. 

Mark Davis, put down the f'n cheetos you were munching in the box during the game, get off your Lord-Farquaad-looking-haircut-butt and lay down the law. 

Reggie, why aren't you up in arms about the product we are putting on the field?

We are entirely uncompetitive.

What really hurts is KC has lost four of five and Denver has lost six in a row and the Raiders are still two games back.

Raider Nation should be happy that there is still playoff hope this season but it will have to come from winning the division.

What really hurts is KC has lost four of five and Denver has lost six in a row and the Raiders are still two games back.

Raider Nation should be happy that there is still playoff hope this season but it will have to come from winning the division.
Being in the playoff run is lipstick on the pig.  I'd rather not having a road playoff game only to get destroyed.  

Making the playoffs at this point is the worst thing that could happen as that would almost ensure that Del Rio keeps his job. 

Running game was working, especially with Lynch. Why didn't they just punish the Patriots all game, tire them out, and shorten the game? Just look at the first series of the game versus the second series...Even when they fell behind, they still should have ran it down their throats. Lynch looks good and he's best in the second half when the defense wears down. I don't get it.

OC needs to go. And the wide receivers need to catch the freaking ball.

Running game was working, especially with Lynch. Why didn't they just punish the Patriots all game, tire them out, and shorten the game? Just look at the first series of the game versus the second series...Even when they fell behind, they still should have ran it down their throats. Lynch looks good and he's best in the second half when the defense wears down. I don't get it.

The team is a mess.  For years, we could not truly evaluate the coaching staff since there was a lack of talent.  Now, while the talent level is not elite, there is still enough talent to be competitive and winning a suddenly weak AFC W.  A new OC and DC is a must.  I am still on the fence about JDR.  Reggie seemed like he was turning things around but then I really look at the roster and am not so sure.  Just how much talent has Reggie brought to the team?  Where is the WR depth?  Why don't the Raiders have a slot WR?  Where is the D?  The secondary is getting worse instead of better. 

The team is a mess.  For years, we could not truly evaluate the coaching staff since there was a lack of talent.  Now, while the talent level is not elite, there is still enough talent to be competitive and winning a suddenly weak AFC W.  A new OC and DC is a must.  I am still on the fence about JDR.  Reggie seemed like he was turning things around but then I really look at the roster and am not so sure.  Just how much talent has Reggie brought to the team?  Where is the WR depth?  Why don't the Raiders have a slot WR?  Where is the D?  The secondary is getting worse instead of better. 
This is what I've been saying as well. It's clear by now coaching changes need to be made but I hope Davis is holding Reggie accountable as well. Hayden, Ward, Conley, Watson and Calhoun all early round picks not playing or wearing the Silver & Black. Other than KO, Hudson and Crabtree (maybe Cook) no FAs are dominating let alone quality starters. I'm not calling for Reggie's head (yet) but there isn't as much talent on this team as some think. 

I have been watching this carefully through out the season since I bought into the hype. I now think some of his lack of usage is due to coaching and some of it is due to Lynch pulling himself out. I saw him signal to the sidelines to be subbed out multiple times yesterday. Generally after two concecutive runs. 

As far as the team goes, this is an failure from top to bottom. Everyone shares in the blame. Who is playing at, or above their expected level? Even Carr has been very disappointing this year. Sure his stats would look better if the damn WRs could catch the ball, but he has thrown some INTs and very poor passes at times in several lot of games.

This is a lost season. It is definitely time to move on from Norton. It wouldn’t surprise to see Dowling dismissed as well. Tice seems like a better for what JDR wants from the offense. Vance Joseph seems like he is one and done in Denver. He may be a good fit as a DC. He seems to have a good reputation throughout the league in that regard.

Looking ahead, the priority needs are another DLineman that can generate a sustained pass rush, a CB, and a dynamic RB. Not necessarily in that orde.

I have been watching this carefully through out the season since I bought into the hype. I now think some of his lack of usage is due to coaching and some of it is due to Lynch pulling himself out. I saw him signal to the sidelines to be subbed out multiple times yesterday. Generally after two concecutive runs. 

As far as the team goes, this is an failure from top to bottom. Everyone shares in the blame. Who is playing at, or above their expected level? Even Carr has been very disappointing this year. Sure his stats would look better if the damn WRs could catch the ball, but he has thrown some INTs and very poor passes at times in several lot of games.

This is a lost season. It is definitely time to move on from Norton. It wouldn’t surprise to see Dowling dismissed as well. Tice seems like a better for what JDR wants from the offense. Vance Joseph seems like he is one and done in Denver. He may be a good fit as a DC. He seems to have a good reputation throughout the league in that regard.

Looking ahead, the priority needs are another DLineman that can generate a sustained pass rush, a CB, and a dynamic RB. Not necessarily in that orde.
That does seem to be the case, but I have no idea why.  He was a DC for one year and the Dolphins D was just meh.  For some reason the Broncos needed to move on from Wade so he could come in and be HC and run the defense.  Not working out too well for them.

Maybe Joseph’s reputation isn’t merited, but the former coaches and GMs on Sirius have heaped praise on him in the past. To be clear, I am certainly not advocating his hire. Just a name that popped into my head. As long as Norton goes I will be behind whoever they hire.

Users who are viewing this thread