What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2017 Raiders - how's the 2018 draft looking? (1 Viewer)

Some truth to this for sure, but I've watched every game and I think most people would agree that the drops, play calling and player usage just as much to blame, probably more so.
I agree that the offense has take a slight step back but I have thought all season long that the defense has had a big reason why the offense wasn't doing as good this season. The defense just can't get of the field. How is the offense suppose to put points on the board when they are constantly losing the time of possession battle because the defense is on the field a lot.

krsone21 said:
I agree that the offense has take a slight step back but I have thought all season long that the defense has had a big reason why the offense wasn't doing as good this season. The defense just can't get of the field. How is the offense suppose to put points on the board when they are constantly losing the time of possession battle because the defense is on the field a lot.
I don't think the struggles on D are impacting the O much.    The O looks ragged and out of synch.   The oline has struggled.   Carr was not right even before the injury.  Both sides of the ball have looked out of sorts for most games.  

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't think the struggles on D are impacting the O much.    The O looks ragged and out of synch.   The oline has struggled.   Carr was not right even before the injury.  Both sides of the ball have looked out of sorts for most games.  
We will just have to agree to disagree Doc. Has the offense had problems of its own, you bet. But the defense has done little to do it's part to help the offense.

Stompin' Tom Connors said:
When a team fires a coach, you do not need to hear from players up in arms against it -- instead, everyone needs to take ownership and their part of making the necessary changes to get on the right side of the W/L tally. It's one thing for Irvin and others to be upset about the firing of a coach they liked. It's another to not accept the fact that changes need to be made, and that winning needs to come before everything.
Good thots. And my chance to add Irvin is an idiot. If he and the rest of the D had done their jobs even remotely well, Norton would still have his job. But they haven't so he doesn't. There's not a single player on that D that can look in the mirror and say they've played to up to expectations. Consequently, their leader gets the boot because it's easier to fire a coach than 25 players.

Guys I hope get cut next offseason:

Del Rio + rest of coaches

Irvin

Nelson

Smith

Lynch

Roberts
Just shows how hard this gig is, and how quickly things change. I think these 3 guys were pretty well received by most on this board. Smith, especially, is the biggest and quickest change from "yes, we signed a top CB!" To "this guy stinks". 

Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't Smith n Amerson best suited to Man coverage and have been playing zone the majority of the time

Dunno why we resigned Roberts once we Signedd CP. Has CP be in on returning duty?

Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't Smith n Amerson best suited to Man coverage and have been playing zone the majority of the time

Dunno why we resigned Roberts once we Signedd CP. Has CP be in on returning duty?
The Raiders ran a Cover 3 type defense under Norton, while Pagano ran a man-press scheme in San Diego. In my opinion Smith is more suited for a man-press scheme. Him and Amerson were both playing in the wrong scheme if you ask me. 

Guys I hope get cut next offseason:

Del Rio + rest of coaches

Irvin

Nelson

Smith

Lynch

Roberts
Lynch and Roberts have to go.   The Raiders need a true WR3 and have for years.   I neve understood why a true slot WR has not been added.   We need all the players on D at least until an upgrade is found.   

Despite the victory today, this is not a playoff caliber team. The defense looked a much better in the first half but that was just an illusion, likely due to the horrendous play from Lynch. Siemian shredded the defense for 149 yds and 2TDs in slightly over a quarter. So the change in DC is just a bandaid. The bigger issue is a lack of talent.

I found some irony in the fact that the offensive seemed to appear much more efficient without Crabtree and Cooper.

So our best offensive game plan is to fight the other team, get key players ejected, and get the fugly win?

:shrug:

I’m ok with it.

Just win, baby.

:boxing:

If Crabtree isnt suspended will he wear his chain next week? If so, the corner should tear it off the first play and send him to the locker room.

The remaining scheduld

• Giants
  • @ Chiefs
  •  Cowboys
  • @ Eagles
  • @ Chargers
All teams have competent QBs that can take advantage of the defense. At best I see an 8-8 finish, but that requires winning at KC. I do not give them much chance of beating the Eagles or Chargers if their QBs remain healthy. 

Cooper, Talib, and whoever it was on the Raiders to get flagged for pushing the ref will be suspended at least a game. Though wouldn’t surprise me one iota if Goodell was completely inconsistent and surprise us all with a novel and idiotic punishment enforcement.

Agree that Smith and Nelson are liabilities next year. Though Nelson had mostly an awesome game today. 

Lynch needs to stay. I’ve been spouting on him all year, how he hasn’t lost a step. How anyone could have actually watched him in a game and said he isn’t running with the same violence was surprising to me. It’s undeniable at this point.

Lynch may not have much tread left but we could sure use anything he has left next year.

Signing for just another 1 year incentive-laden deal is going to be hard, but not sure if he will get offered longer term contracts elsewhere. Not tons of leverage there.

The remaining scheduld

• Giants
  • @ Chiefs
  •  Cowboys
  • @ Eagles
  • @ Chargers
All teams have competent QBs that can take advantage of the defense. At best I see an 8-8 finish, but that requires winning at KC. I do not give them much chance of beating the Eagles or Chargers if their QBs remain healthy. 
I could easily argue for a 4-1 finish.

I could easily argue for a 4-1 finish.
We can all agree that the Eagles will dominant the Raiders.  I think the Chargers beat the Raiders as well.  I see finishing 3-2 at best since the Raiders, Chiefs, and Cowboys all seem about equal to me.  I will not be surprised at any outcome of those games. 

I can't put my finger on it, but Carr just doesn't seem right to me. I don't know if he's struggling with injuries or what, on the deep ball to Holton, it looked like he threw it from his hip. And it had a lot of air under it. That should have been a TD. He definitely doesn't look as comfortable and confident in the pocket like he did last year. I'm guessing it a combination of not trusting his Oline and not being in command in Dowlings offense. Whatever is going on, it seems like a season-long issue that's not going away. 

I can't put my finger on it, but Carr just doesn't seem right to me. I don't know if he's struggling with injuries or what, on the deep ball to Holton, it looked like he threw it from his hip. And it had a lot of air under it. That should have been a TD. He definitely doesn't look as comfortable and confident in the pocket like he did last year. I'm guessing it a combination of not trusting his Oline and not being in command in Dowlings offense. Whatever is going on, it seems like a season-long issue that's not going away. 
Yeah, he is missing some pretty easy throws.  Had a couple wide open guys down the sideline that he wasn't even close on.  Put the ball a solid 5 yards over their head on 20 yard passes.

Just doesn't look as confident as last year.  Wonder if some of it has to do with locker room dissention.  Nobody would ever admit this to be the case, but his body language looks almost apologetic after a bad throw.  Seems like he's pressing.   Last year he seemed to have a confident, quiet swagger.  Gone this year.

Amazing they are still in contention.  I can't remember a team doing such a 180 as KC has done in the last 6 games. Everyone knew Alex Smith was playing over his head, but sheesh.   Battling with the Chargers for the division at this point unless KC somehow manages to turn it around quickly. 

Agree, I've called this out before too -- something in his throws does not look right. Spot on about too much air in some of the balls, many look wobbly instead of those crisp strikes we used to see last year.

While I think the O-line play isn't as solid as it was last year, I really think Carr's back fracture is still an issue in terms of not having full range of motion or potentially still some pain that is limiting. Maybe he needs to work on improving his mechanics overall and in relation to how he pushed through this injury. But it's clear he isn't throwing the same balls he was. 

The division is definitely there for the taking and at least we get the home game we lost to the Pats back week 17 vs the Chargers.

Giants are terrible, Chiefs are collapsing, Cowboys are very beatable without Zeke, Phili is Phili barring a miracle that's an L and SD is good but not special also very beatable.
This feels more like perception than any tangible evidence to support your optimism. We saw yesterday that the Raider defense can make any semi competent QB look like an all pro. Siemian throw for 149 yds and 2TDs in a little over a quarter yesterday. This is the same player that looked completely lost prior to getting benched. The next 5 opponents have better QBs then Siemian. Much better QBs. 

The Giants game is their best opportunity for a win. But how confident would you feel if Crabtree gets suspended (as he should) and Cooper misses next week? 

I love your optimism but I just do not see it grounded in anything I see on the field. 

This feels more like perception than any tangible evidence to support your optimism. We saw yesterday that the Raider defense can make any semi competent QB look like an all pro. Siemian throw for 149 yds and 2TDs in a little over a quarter yesterday. This is the same player that looked completely lost prior to getting benched. The next 5 opponents have better QBs then Siemian. Much better QBs. 

The Giants game is their best opportunity for a win. But how confident would you feel if Crabtree gets suspended (as he should) and Cooper misses next week? 

I love your optimism but I just do not see it grounded in anything I see on the field. 
I didn't predict 4-1, I said I could make an argument for 4-1.

All four of those teams are mediocre to terrible right now.  The Raiders can beat mediocre to terrible teams.

The Raiders can beat mediocre to terrible teams.
Will always support the optimistic hope, but hard to forget that we've also lost to some mediocre/terrible teams, such as Baltimore, Washington, and Miami.

No game is an easy game for this team, and I unfortunately see 1-4 as way more likely than 4-1.

Will always support the optimistic hope, but hard to forget that we've also lost to some mediocre/terrible teams, such as Baltimore, Washington, and Miami.

No game is an easy game for this team, and I unfortunately see 1-4 as way more likely than 4-1.
Oakland beat Miami.  Lost to Buffalo though.

2 games for Crabtree and Talib.  Seems way too harsh given Ramsey and AJ Green weren't suspended.  Crabtree got his chain and helmet ripped off and punched without his helmet on after trying to get away from the fight.  I could have lived with 1, but two is just not fair.

2 games for Crabtree and Talib.  Seems way too harsh given Ramsey and AJ Green weren't suspended.  Crabtree got his chain and helmet ripped off and punched without his helmet on after trying to get away from the fight.  I could have lived with 1, but two is just not fair.
I'd think Crabtree has a chance to get it knocked down to 1. 

He also instigated the whole thing yesterday by punching Chris Harris in the gut on the first play of the game.

Now, this is not to absolve Talib of any blame. As a longtime Broncos fan, I think Talib is a punk and wouldn't give a crap if he got hit by a bus tonight, but let's not act like Crabtree was the good guy here. Both guys acted like toolish thugs and earned their 2 games. 

Agree 100%. On the plus side sounds like my Giants have a shot at winning a stinker of a game now, if Cooper is out. Figures I have that bum on my fantasy squad.

My question: WTH does he need to wear jewlery on the football field? Save the fricken fashion fir after the game princess, and worry more about catching the stinking ball.

I see necklaces on a few players. Why does the league allow it?

talib has done it before and said he will do it again 

and howdoes Shane Rey not get punished at all?

2 games seems odd to me as well.  I'd imagine there were a number of factors that played into it.  Haven't heard of either player appealing the suspensions yet though.

I wasn't able to catch the game and have only seen clips of the altercation.  Why did Gabe get ejected?

2 games seems odd to me as well.  I'd imagine there were a number of factors that played into it.  Haven't heard of either player appealing the suspensions yet though.

I wasn't able to catch the game and have only seen clips of the altercation.  Why did Gabe get ejected?
"pushed" a ref

Cooper, Talib, and whoever it was on the Raiders to get flagged for pushing the ref will be suspended at least a game. Though wouldn’t surprise me one iota if Goodell was completely inconsistent and surprise us all with a novel and idiotic punishment enforcement.

2 games for Crabtree and Talib.  Seems way too harsh given Ramsey and AJ Green weren't suspended

2 games seems odd to me as well. 
knew the punishments meted out wouldn't make sense.

BTW, what is with Crabtree that makes him such a target of defending CBs? First the disrespect that Sherman threw his way in SF, now Talib targeting him as well.

I don't necessarily see Crabs talking tons of smack on the field, though of course that's possible. Everything I've read about him since he came to the Raiders has largely been positive -- good ethic, seems to say the right thing in pressers and take a higher ground, etc. Whenever he's taken to Twitter, it's invariably in response to shade that was being thrown his way.

Some of the quotes he had from both the Sherman feud and the first Talib chain-snatching incident:

"I don't get into talking about these guys. I concentrate on football. It's my life. I don't have too much to prove when it comes to talking on TV."

"When I win, it's no hoorah. I ain't yelling. You know what I'm saying? I'm used to it. But like I said, I'm getting (tired) talking about these guys. I concentrate on football."

"I play football. I don't get up in anybody's space doing all that extra cut blocking. I could've cut him. I could've hurt him, but I'm playing football. I don't like that man."

"You aren't tough. You aren't defending anybody up like that. You're acting. You're snatching chains up on the field. What do you accomplish? Are you hard? Are you tough? Does that make you tough? You're snatching chains in front of the police and take off running. That was childish man."

Seems pretty level-headed, the opposite of loudmouthed and brash. Strange that he has been such a focus given what I see (perhaps erroneously?) as a pretty mellow and soft-spoken guy.

Some guys just rub people the wrong way I guess. I was just a kid but I remember Lynn Swann being a pretty mellow, soft-spoken guy. But for whatever reason George Atkinson could not stand him. Even to this day he still calls him "soft" lol.

Lets review for a sec....Talib: poked a guy in the eye , tore a chain off an opponent not once but twice and if IRC spit in the face of an opponent. Sounds like a guy that has issues commanding his space with authority...Weird cuz he is talented and SEEMS to play well. This all in the last 2 years or so. Is he breaking down and in need of diversion? 

Playoff/Wild card picture:

AFC Division Leaders
1. Pittsburgh (9-2) 
2. New England (9-2) 
3. Tennessee (7-4) 
4. Kansas City (6-5)      

AFC Wild-Card Picture
5. Jacksonville (7-4)
6. Baltimore (6-5)
7. Buffalo (6-5)
8. Cincinnati (5-6)
9. Los Angeles Chargers (5-6) 
10. Oakland (5-6) 

If the Raiders win out they are division champs. If they go 4-1 losing to the Eagles they will likely win the division. If they loose 2 games I think they are toast because 3 teams ahead of them (Bills, Ravens, Chargers) will have won H2H matchups. 

My prediction is 2-3, with wins over the Giants and the Chargers in a semi-"home" game, with losses to the Chiefs and Eagles on the road, and dropping a game against the Cowboys because we are losing the games we should win this year.

Hoping I'm wrong.

You know your defense is bad when teams choose the week they play you to see what they have in their back up QBs. Two weeks in a row now....

Bruno2 said:
You know your defense is bad when teams choose the week they play you to see what they have in their back up QBs. Two weeks in a row now....
In away games to boot, or is that the strategy to avoid home fan wrath?

For the life of me, I can not figure out why the Raiders called timeout before the half coming off their own goal line.  There is a minute left, you got the first down at like the 13, be happy and get to the half.  Very lucky that did not result in points for the Giants.

Users who are viewing this thread