What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2018 Sleepers, Midseason Callups and Breakouts... (1 Viewer)

If Mondesi can figure out how to get on base against major league pitching, he has fantasy value.

His ranking as a prospect always came from his performance relative to the age of his competition.  That stops mattering after a while and he'll be 23 next month.
Escobar has a .550 OPS. 

Everything you just said is static. 

I like the Tim Anderson comp for Mondesi. Whether that's worth having on your roster likely depends on league scoring/format, category needs, etc...

Teoscar just "liked" one of my tweets, so I think he's my favourite Jay ever now.
Teoscar played one inning with the Astros last season and is getting a world series ring before today's game (apparently on unanimous vote by the players), I thought the rings were fairly limited. What am I missing here?

Teoscar played one inning with the Astros last season and is getting a world series ring before today's game (apparently on unanimous vote by the players), I thought the rings were fairly limited. What am I missing here?
The Giants gave Dan Uggla a ring in 2014 when he went 0 for 12 with 2 errors in 4 games.

I just bought in on Kyle Tucker.  How long do I have to wait for this shiny new toy?  It seems like a call up is coming very soon.  

Last edited by a moderator:
Format specific, but post hyper Keon Broxton got the call with Cain going to the DL.  With steals so hard to come by he may be worth a shot for some.

Zach Eflin’s 5 starts in June flying completely under the radar

June 5 @ CHC: 7.2 IP, 8 H, 1 R, 1 BB, 2 K

June 10 vs. MIL: 6 IP, 3 H, 2 R, 1 BB, 9 K

June 16 @ MIL: 5 IP, 3 H, 1 R, 1 BB, 6 K

June 22 @ WAS: 5 IP, 6 H, 2 R, 1 BB, 5 K

tonight vs. NYY: 7 IP, 4H, 0R, 2 BB, 6K

Javy Baez looks like a breakout. A lot of fantasy pundits think Baez is overrated, but the cream always rises to the top.
Seriously, he’s ahead of Machado, Albies, and Turner in roto. 

He’s a better real life player, but he’s pretty much been a fantasy stud. Even for a Cub, he’s underrated in fantasty circles. 

To me, Dereck Rodriguez is becoming a fascinating study. MLB caliber stuff while raised by a HOF father that happened to play catcher. Obviously they could be polar opposites, but if they’re wired the same way and he learned from his father on how to study the game. The battery stuff, how to pitch opponents, exploit weaknesses. It’s not foolproof, but it’s hard to think that it’s a hinderance

Zach Eflin’s 5 starts in June flying completely under the radar

June 5 @ CHC: 7.2 IP, 8 H, 1 R, 1 BB, 2 K

June 10 vs. MIL: 6 IP, 3 H, 2 R, 1 BB, 9 K

June 16 @ MIL: 5 IP, 3 H, 1 R, 1 BB, 6 K

June 22 @ WAS: 5 IP, 6 H, 2 R, 1 BB, 5 K

tonight vs. NYY: 7 IP, 4H, 0R, 2 BB, 6K
I streamed him for his last start and am thinking I may need to hold him for a bit. He had the third best FIP among starters for June I read as well, so the peripherals back it up. Plus there was a Fangraphs article on him at the start of June talking about his offseason changes and finally being healthy.

I don't think he'll keep this pace up but he might he a top 30-40ish guy going forward. 

Northern Voice said:
I'm holding strong on Nick Pivetta too (dem K's), buying in on Phillies pitchers... What could go wrong!?!? :oldunsure:
Completely in on Pivetta. His 11.9% swStrike rate easily supports his K/9 jump.

3.39 xFIP and almost all of his bad ERA luck can be traced to a couple blow up starts. 

guru_007 said:
Kyle Tucker just called up by the Astros.  I took a few flyers on him.  
I had a few shares, but let them go, thinking he wouldn't get called up until much later.

Kemp has done very well on O and D. Springer in a lull but recently a WS MVP, Marwyn deserves some starts when Correa comes back, Reddick only flashes top shelf, but his salary will keep him starting most games, and Marisnick is phenomenal on defense and so cute. Gattis owns the DH.

I'm sure they'll give Tucker the playing time he deserves, tho. I see Marisnick and Kemp back to AAA, I guess, but a lukewarm start could send Tucker back down if it lasts a couple of weeks.

It's a good time for experimental call ups. Minor league is about to go on break, majors have 9 more days. Give them a cameo and if it doesnt stick then send them back to the minors when the pros go on break. 

Either Toles or Verdugo is probably on their way to the left coast right now.  I rolled the dice on Toles in Pie waivers last night because I'm sure the actual call-up would get picked by someone with greater priority tonight.  Verdugo had been running hot, but didn't play this weekend.  It's probably wrong, but I used that as my tiebreaker.  Unless a trade is imminent I doubt trade talks will play a factor - both are probably on the table anyway.

Either Toles or Verdugo is probably on their way to the left coast right now.  I rolled the dice on Toles in Pie waivers last night because I'm sure the actual call-up would get picked by someone with greater priority tonight.  Verdugo had been running hot, but didn't play this weekend.  It's probably wrong, but I used that as my tiebreaker.  Unless a trade is imminent I doubt trade talks will play a factor - both are probably on the table anyway.
Toles is in San Diego and should be activated before the game.  The LA OF is pretty crowded though.  His best chance at playing time is via a deadline trade.

Nick Williams is worth a mention now. Kapler has stuck with him for some reason and he’s starting to bust out. Probably worth adding in standard mix leagues now. 

If you need steals, and everyone does, get Manny Margot (26% owned in Yahoo and CBS).  

He was hurt then horrible but he has a .360 OBP with some pop over the last month. Only two steals, but one was tonight, and he’s one of the fastest players in baseball.  I think 20 second half steals is within reason if he continues to hit. 

Ideally the Padres want him to lead off, and with his onbase skills, you’d think that might come soon. 

He was a guy I thought would break out this year, just took awhile. 

If you need steals, and everyone does, get Manny Margot (26% owned in Yahoo and CBS).  

He was hurt then horrible but he has a .360 OBP with some pop over the last month. Only two steals, but one was tonight, and he’s one of the fastest players in baseball.  I think 20 second half steals is within reason if he continues to hit. 

Ideally the Padres want him to lead off, and with his onbase skills, you’d think that might come soon. 

He was a guy I thought would break out this year, just took awhile. 
You can't make this #### up:

AJ Cassavell‏Verified account @AJCassavell 22m22 minutes ago

Oh no. Manny Margot is exiting the game after an all-out dive on Cesar Hernandez's liner. He went full extension and appeared to have injured his left wrist.
:kicksrock:

@HellToupee wanted me to look at Garrett Hampson.  So I looked at his scouting report before the game because I had heard of him, but I wanted to be more familiar in-person.  Hampson doubled in his first at bat and then in his second AB, hit a ball hard between SS/3B which the SS fielded, and I said "safe" as the SS gathered the ball.  This is a true speed guy, legit speed.  So I was with friends and I said, he's down to second guaranteed.  1st pitch, he stole second.  He then stole 3rd, fast.  Hit tool looked good, he struck out in his last at bat but I thought he looked like a future ML, but Rodgers will have SS so he'll need a position. 
Hampson is debuting tonight and hitting 7th

Northern Voice said:
Lemaiheu is a free agent after the season, so there is an opening there for him, though I assume he's 3rd in the middle infield pecking order behind Story and Rodgers, if they want to move one of them off short. 
Hampson has also played some CF in the minors, so he could be a super-utility guy or even a full-time OF.

Crazy trade idea that won't happen: Hampson to the Brewers for Freddy Peralta. Milwaukee is desperate for MI and Peralta  seems to like pitching at altitude.

Hampson has also played some CF in the minors, so he could be a super-utility guy or even a full-time OF.

Crazy trade idea that won't happen: Hampson to the Brewers for Freddy Peralta. Milwaukee is desperate for MI and Peralta  seems to like pitching at altitude.
They had him play some OF in AAA

The Royals traded for OF Brian Goodwin and will presumably give him regular playing time.  Goodwin was a  mid-top 100 prospect a few years ago but is now 27 and was never able to break through in Washington. 

He's probably not going to be a star but if he offers some power/speed potential.  He had 14 HR/6 SB in part time play last year.

Ervin Santana will make his first appearance of the season on Wednesday.   I wouldn't start him until he's fully stretched out but he's a worth a pickup if his owner needed the DL slot for somebody else.

The Royals traded for OF Brian Goodwin and will presumably give him regular playing time.  Goodwin was a  mid-top 100 prospect a few years ago but is now 27 and was never able to break through in Washington. 

He's probably not going to be a star but if he offers some power/speed potential.  He had 14 HR/6 SB in part time play last year.
Goodwin is a solid fantasty play imo 

Gotta think Eloy is going to get the call soon, he has just dominated every level of the minors.  White Sox don't have to worry about service time at this point, so that should make no difference.  Might as well bring him up next week and see what he can do, White Sox should be fun to watch sometime next year if they get all these ####ty Garcias off the field. 

Gotta think Eloy is going to get the call soon, he has just dominated every level of the minors.  White Sox don't have to worry about service time at this point, so that should make no difference.  Might as well bring him up next week and see what he can do, White Sox should be fun to watch sometime next year if they get all these ####ty Garcias off the field. 
I enjoyed watching them last night...

Lourdes Gurriel Jr. appears to be breaking out. 9 straight multi hit games and two home runs last night. Jays infield is even more crowded with the Drury acquisition and Lourdes (and all of them really), isn't a super strong fielder anywhere but he sure looks like he can hit at the MLB level. 

Doctor Detroit said:
Was thinking the same thing. Snagged him last night the only league I could.

AA game review

5/12

Bowie Baysox (Orioles) v Hartford Yard Goats (Stones)

So I went to see Brendan Rodgers, but there were a lot of other prospects in this game.

Rodgers pooped his pants his first at bat but I was right on top of the Hartford on-deck circle and reminded Rodgers that I named my fantasy team after him (I really did).  He responded with a 105+mph rope to RC field that three-hopped the wall, a ball that probably would have been a triple with his speed had he not hit it so hard.  In his 4th at bat he hit a laser down the LF line that I thought was going foul, but it stayed fair because he hit it so ####### hard. 

In the field Rodgers made a slick play in the 3rd or forth sliding to his glove side, got up and fired out a pretty fast runner for Bowie. 

Rodgers is a top 10 prospect for a reason, he should be the SS in Denver next year. 

Others of note:

@HellToupee wanted me to look at Garrett Hampson.  So I looked at his scouting report before the game because I had heard of him, but I wanted to be more familiar in-person.  Hampson doubled in his first at bat and then in his second AB, hit a ball hard between SS/3B which the SS fielded, and I said "safe" as the SS gathered the ball.  This is a true speed guy, legit speed.  So I was with friends and I said, he's down to second guaranteed.  1st pitch, he stole second.  He then stole 3rd, fast.  Hit tool looked good, he struck out in his last at bat but I thought he looked like a future ML, but Rodgers will have SS so he'll need a position. 
I can't see story moving after this season he is having.  Only option i can think of, and it posses me off to think it,  is if Colorado can't sign nolan and trade him.  Otherwise, one of those two you mentioned are going to be blocked (i dont think dj will be back next year).

He's not a sleeper or a breakout but Eugenio Suarez is basically store brand Anthony Rendon and I feel like no one ever talks about him.
I’d call him a break through to elite status. He broke out last year and I thought we’d see similar production, 25 homers and a OPS north of 800. 

Well he has 26 homers and a .970 OPS in 95 games and the batted ball data says this is not s fluke. 

I traded for him in our dynasty league last year (forget who I traded away but it wasn’t much) because I badly needed a 3Bman. This spring I was still looking for a 3Bman because of the threat of Senzel, not knowing if he was gonna be able to repeat a top 15 3Bman year, and because he never showed the kind of upside he had. 

He hasn’t sneaked up on us like Jose Ramirez has, but holy #### is this guy good. He just turned 27 and is the #5 3Bman in roto (this is with both Machado and Baez ahead of him by a whisker). 

I think he’s a top 5 3Bman now with only Ramirez and Arenado ahead of him if Manny is gonna be a SS. Bregman is there too but who would have thought before the year Suarez would be right there with those guys? Pretty cool. 

I’d call him a break through to elite status. He broke out last year and I thought we’d see similar production, 25 homers and a OPS north of 800. 

Well he has 26 homers and a .970 OPS in 95 games and the batted ball data says this is not s fluke. 

I traded for him in our dynasty league last year (forget who I traded away but it wasn’t much) because I badly needed a 3Bman. This spring I was still looking for a 3Bman because of the threat of Senzel, not knowing if he was gonna be able to repeat a top 15 3Bman year, and because he never showed the kind of upside he had. 

He hasn’t sneaked up on us like Jose Ramirez has, but holy #### is this guy good. He just turned 27 and is the #5 3Bman in roto (this is with both Machado and Baez ahead of him by a whisker). 

I think he’s a top 5 3Bman now with only Ramirez and Arenado ahead of him if Manny is gonna be a SS. Bregman is there too but who would have thought before the year Suarez would be right there with those guys? Pretty cool. 
I’ve said it before, but dropped him in two leagues when he got plunked and broke his hand. Little did I know he was a freak of nature and would be back in like 15 days instead of 6-8 weeks. My heart basically weeps every time he puts up numbers. 

I’ve said it before, but dropped him in two leagues when he got plunked and broke his hand. Little did I know he was a freak of nature and would be back in like 15 days instead of 6-8 weeks. My heart basically weeps every time he puts up numbers. 
I almost traded him a month ago in a deal that brought back a current top 10 prospect. While the deal was being hashed out he hit four homers, and the other owner said, “I probably wouldn’t trade him if I were you.” 

Good advice, he looks like a top 10 3Bman for awhile and I can’t say I saw it coming. I got him in a trade where the other guy offered him to me, I just hit accept. Just luck because I didn’t have a starting 3Bman/CIFer at the time. 

As a bonus, he’s locked into an affordable long term deal so he will be in Cincy for sure which helps his numbers. 

Danny Jansen called up, with Solarte out supposedly Martin will be playing 3B leaving some C PT for Jansen. He can't be any worse than some of the catching dreck some of us are throwing out there every day :shrug:  

Danny Jansen called up, with Solarte out supposedly Martin will be playing 3B leaving some C PT for Jansen. He can't be any worse than some of the catching dreck some of us are throwing out there every day :shrug:  
He's hit very consistently for the last two years through A+/AA/AAA. I'm excited to see him. 

Sean Reid-Foley up on Monday as well, he hasn't been as consistent as Jansen, and you sure don't want to count on the Jays for wins in fantasy, but he has great stuff (if only average command), he'll be interesting to watch. 

Edit - with Reid-Foley and Borucki the next two Jays scheduled starters, Jansen is expected behind the plate for both since he knows them from the minors. 

Taylor Ward got the call and started tonight at 3B for the Angels. He’s doubled and walked in his first two at bats. 

Former first round catcher who has only played 3B this year at AA and AAA. He has extra base power, will steal bases (18 in 102 games this year), and most importantly...is catcher eligible this year. 

Probably a good pickup in keepers and dynasty to watch while filling in as a off day C through this year. Beyond that, we’ll see. 

In redrafts if you’re in a deep league, or in any 2 catcher league, he’s probably a must add based on the dearth of production from the C position. 

Users who are viewing this thread