What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2020 MLB Spring Training (3 Viewers)

if you’re serious, check the baseball thread, cake league draft has started.
I am serious, I have a draft kicking off in about a week and my fantasy baseball knowledge is not on par with my fantasy football acumen.  And that's not saying much.

Yankees fans will find this hard to believe, but Stanton is hurt and will most likely miss the start of the season.  :shocker:

TheIronSheik said:
Yankees fans will find this hard to believe, but Stanton is hurt and will most likely miss the start of the season.  :shocker:
Could you imagine what this and the Severino injury would do to a normal team.  For the Yanks they'll just shrug it off and sign someone else for millions.

Great job Baseball.

How do you possibly get hurt taking casual BP and lazily shagging fly balls in the first week of spring training? It's insanity.

Pretty clear that the guy takes absolutely no care of himself and just swings as hard as he can (usually missing if the game is within reach) until he gets a booboo that allows him to take a 4 week vacation.

Scumbag

Could you imagine what this and the Severino injury would do to a normal team.  For the Yanks they'll just shrug it off and sign someone else for millions.

Great job Baseball.
I'm sorry, you're wrong.  The Yankees have no advantages over smaller market teams in teams of being able to spend more money.  These two injuries have crushed the Yankees chance to compete, just like it would have any other team. 🙄

Great job Baseball.
Who are they gonna sign in spring training for millions?

As it is non millionaire Clint Frazier will replace Stanton, non- millionaire Jordan Montgomery will replace Paxton, and non millionaire Jonathon Loaisaga will replace Severino.

How do you possibly get hurt taking casual BP and lazily shagging fly balls in the first week of spring training? It's insanity.

Pretty clear that the guy takes absolutely no care of himself and just swings as hard as he can (usually missing if the game is within reach) until he gets a booboo that allows him to take a 4 week vacation.

Scumbag
roids

Last edited by a moderator:
What's taking so long on the Red Sox investigation?

Also, I keep hearing a lot of talk about how they didn't find anything with them.  That seems odd.  Interested to see what comes out of this.  Honestly, I can't believe MLB waited this long.  Right now, everyone is playing baseball and the chatter has died down significantly.  That's all going to change once the Red Sox report comes out.  Regardless of the results.

MLB should've had that thing come out the day before ST.  I think they messed up big time here.  

Notice how the scandal talk has all but died down now that ball is being played.

I think we'll get one more spike of talk when the season first starts and Astros start getting plunked or they start the season off really good or really bad.  Then people will pretty much move on.  

Also, I saw that Jose Bautista is still trying to find a team.  I always liked him, but it might be time to hang it up, Jose.  

Is Matt Harvey done at this point?  I would've thought a team or two would've signed him to a contract just to take a look on the cheap.  I mean, honestly, I'd be happy if the Astros or the Phils took a look at him.   Same with Collin McHugh.

I feel like these are good low cost fliers to take a gamble on.

Is Matt Harvey done at this point?  I would've thought a team or two would've signed him to a contract just to take a look on the cheap.  I mean, honestly, I'd be happy if the Astros or the Phils took a look at him.   Same with Collin McHugh.

Harvey has been a low cost flier the last couple of years.  He isn't flying very high anymore....

My guess is he's been offered to take a flier on by a few teams but his inflated sense of his abilities have him believing he deserves much more. 

My guess is he's been offered to take a flier on by a few teams but his inflated sense of his abilities have him believing he deserves much more. 
I mean, at some point you either have to take one of those smaller contracts or just retire.  I would think he'd at least want to try to prove himself one last time.  But who knows.  Maybe he's burnt out.  It's a shame.  Dude was a beast for a couple of years.  

I think at this point, most teams are hoping to infill within their system, but there should be action nearer season start

harvey has been brutal for 4 years.  i’d prefer hunter harvey at this point.

I mean, at some point you either have to take one of those smaller contracts or just retire.  I would think he'd at least want to try to prove himself one last time.  But who knows.  Maybe he's burnt out.  It's a shame.  Dude was a beast for a couple of years.  
The Royals ruined him. 

harvey has been brutal for 4 years.  i’d prefer hunter harvey at this point.
Agreed.  He hasn't been great.  But he's been decent enough to eat innings and, who knows, maybe rediscover himself a little.  I'm not asking for him to be deGrom or Cole, but I still think Harvey could be an effective bullpen guy.

Agreed.  He hasn't been great.  But he's been decent enough to eat innings and, who knows, maybe rediscover himself a little.  I'm not asking for him to be deGrom or Cole, but I still think Harvey could be an effective bullpen guy.
Problem is Harvey doesn't think of himself as a bullpen guy and probably never will at this point. It's beneath him. 

you’re wrong.  he hasn’t been decent enough.  take a look.

Problem is Harvey doesn't think of himself as a bullpen guy and probably never will at this point. It's beneath him. 
I know he thinks that now.  But I'm saying at a point, you either have to face reality or retire.  I would think he might just give the bullpen a shot in hopes that he could work his game out.  I said last year he should have pitched out of the bullpen for his own good.  Go out, throw to 3 batters and shut them down.  You can build back confidence and you can be deceiving.  And by that I mean, you could leverage a starting spot with decent money based on how you look out of the bullpen.

I think he's still got something left in the tank, but it's definitely up to him as to if he wants to keep going.

you’re wrong.  he hasn’t been decent enough.  take a look.
I've seen him.  The things is, the league is filled with guys who come out of the bullpen and are below average as far as MLB pitcher levels.  So I'm not expecting him to be awesome.  But whoever your team is, think about who they call out of the bullpen in the middle innings.  I'm willing to bet that half of them aren't that reliable.  And that's without even knowing your team.  I think he could easily be that guy or better.  And for cheap.

I've seen him.  The things is, the league is filled with guys who come out of the bullpen and are below average as far as MLB pitcher levels.  So I'm not expecting him to be awesome.  But whoever your team is, think about who they call out of the bullpen in the middle innings.  I'm willing to bet that half of them aren't that reliable.  And that's without even knowing your team.  I think he could easily be that guy or better.  And for cheap.
His attitude and cost would be prohibitive. You can use an under control player for much cheaper than the 3mill Harvey will want, plus incentives.  His deal would be something like Wacha’s i guess.

Lol @ Bauer giving away his pitches today as if he was in the pen. Good schtick! 
I'm not sure I understand what he's trying to prove here.  He got everyone out while telling them the pitches.  If anything, he's making his case weaker.

But, along a similar note, my buddy in high school who was also a pitcher used to do something like this every so often.  In the middle of a game, he'd start yelling to the catcher what he was going to throw each pitch.  And for the first two batters, he throw what he said.  But then for the next inning or two, he'd yell "CURVEBALL!", then throw a heater.  And start mixing up telling the truth or lying.  I remember one opposing coach yelling at the umpire to to "tell that kid to shut the hell up on the mound."  

I love that Trevor Bauer has been the loudest about cheating, not just with the Astros, but with pitchers using foreign substances to improve their spin rate. He claims that 70% of pitchers are using something illegal.  But when Passan looked into his numbers, he noticed that Bauer went from 120th in spin rate, to 2nd last year.  And when asked if he used a foreign substance to help his spin rate, he declined to answer, only saying that 70% of the pitcher do it.

So, let's examine that.  He's basically using the same excuse that the Astros used: Everyone's doing it.  If that's true, then why are all of these pitchers so mad about batters cheating?  I mean this is hilarious to me.  This would imply that 70% of all pitches are thrown illegally.  That's mind blowing.  

I love that Trevor Bauer has been the loudest about cheating, not just with the Astros, but with pitchers using foreign substances to improve their spin rate. He claims that 70% of pitchers are using something illegal.  But when Passan looked into his numbers, he noticed that Bauer went from 120th in spin rate, to 2nd last year.  And when asked if he used a foreign substance to help his spin rate, he declined to answer, only saying that 70% of the pitcher do it.

So, let's examine that.  He's basically using the same excuse that the Astros used: Everyone's doing it.  If that's true, then why are all of these pitchers so mad about batters cheating?  I mean this is hilarious to me.  This would imply that 70% of all pitches are thrown illegally.  That's mind blowing.  
So stealing signs using cameras is just leveling the playing field?  hahhaha

Users who are viewing this thread