What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2020 MLB Spring Training (7 Viewers)

Epic game. If the Yankees win, it's going to be really hard for the Astros to come back. If the Astros win, it's a tough loss for NY and they used a ton of bullpen innings.

Wow, make up call there. That wasn't close and the catcher had to really reach out and get it. If you call a foul tip, you can't just make up for it and call a 3rd strike on a pitch clearly outside. No ump gives a pitcher an outside pitch when the catchers lined up outside and still reaches more.

Oh well, going to bed. No idea how long this will last.

You can’t review a foul tip. 

Reason #382 baseball is behind the times
LOL, how about the make up call on the next pitch? Terrible call with 2 guys on. If you make a mistake, it happens, but damn that was a big call, especially now.

LOL, how about the make up call on the next pitch? Terrible call with 2 guys on. If you make a mistake, it happens, but damn that was a big call, especially now.
Does he deserve 4 strikes???? 

Lol 

suck it yankees. 

Well see you in NY with Gerri’s Cole

Does he deserve 4 strikes???? 

Lol 

suck it yankees. 

Well see you in NY with Gerri’s Cole
LOL, so sensitive. Ump misses the foul tip call. The call's made and over. It was a terrible 3rd strike call. Please don't act like it wasn't.

LOL, so sensitive. Ump misses the foul tip call. The call's made and over. It was a terrible 3rd strike call. Please don't act like it wasn't.
It was, the Bergman call an inning or two earlier was terrible too but that wasn’t with 2 outs IIRC

It was clearly a make-up call.  So what?  The guy struck out on the pitch before, CLEARLY.  Didn't even deserve to have that pitch so him arguing about it when he KNEW he had just bull####ted to keep the at bat alive was the bush leaguest bush league garbage in bushville.

Last edited by a moderator:
I noticed that this entire postseason (and this is for everyone, not a single team), when a pitch is outside of the box, whether it be a little or a lot, and the umpire calls it a strike, almost every single announcer says something like, "That's a good pitch.  Painted the corner."  

If they are not allowed to say an ump made a bad call, that's dumb on MLB's part.  Hometown announcers say it all the time.  We can all see the pitch was outside the box.  Why are they pretending it's a good strike call?  I hate that.  You don't have to demean the ump, but we can acknowledge it's a missed call.  We don't need Muhammad Saeed al-Sahhaf up in the booth trying to convince us otherwise.

Was last night's game really "epic"?  I keep seeing that headline and outlets talking about that "epic ALCS game 2."  I mean, it was good.  But I'm not sure it was anywhere near epic.

Also, if your game is ending at 1am, it's dumb.  Not epic.  

MLB - Did you see that epic game last night?
3/4 of baseball fans - I saw the first 3 innings.  Then I went to bed.  Saw the highlights this morning.

Was last night's game really "epic"?  I keep seeing that headline and outlets talking about that "epic ALCS game 2."  I mean, it was good.  But I'm not sure it was anywhere near epic.

3/4 of baseball fans - I saw the first 3 innings.  Then I went to bed.  Saw the highlights this morning.
I think it was pretty epic. The Astros really had to have it and somehow pulled it out.  It was also a finish that I’m sure Manfred loved although yes way too late at night. 

Just wish baseball would get with the times and embrace technology as much as possible. At the very least for playoff games only. I can see you wouldn’t want regular season games dragging on for 4-5 hours every night. 

I mean how many people who aren’t fans of the teams or gamblers saw that ending? Insane. 

It was, the Bergman call an inning or two earlier was terrible too but that wasn’t with 2 outs IIRC
There were quite a few bad calls. Close, but usually if a catcher is setup outside and still reaches for it you don’t call a strike unless you are making up for it. I don’t like when that happens. There are plenty of bad calls. Kind of like New Orleans crying about the PI call last year and everyone ignoring the OL holding and another OL hands to the face on that same play or Goff getting face-masked and having to settle for 3 instead of 1st and goal at the 1. Mistakes happen but trying to make up for one of the mistakes and not all (with automation) is bad and it sure seemed like that’s what the ump did. 

I think it was pretty epic. The Astros really had to have it and somehow pulled it out.  It was also a finish that I’m sure Manfred loved although yes way too late at night. 

Just wish baseball would get with the times and embrace technology as much as possible. At the very least for playoff games only. I can see you wouldn’t want regular season games dragging on for 4-5 hours every night. 
But what made it "epic"?  And maybe I'm splitting hairs here, but it was good.  And it was a great finish.  But I feel like "epic" implies it was one of the greatest games played.  Like,  Game 5 of the 2017 WS was an epic game.  One for the ages.  But the game was tied in the 5th inning and then nothing really happened until the walk off homerun in the 11th.  

I mean how many people who aren’t fans of the teams or gamblers saw that ending? Insane. 
I was about to go to sleep and then it was over. Still ridiculously late. My son loves the Yankees and aside from maybe a Friday or Saturday night game if he doesn’t have a tournament, game 3 at 3pm is the only one he’ll be able to watch. You don’t grow young fans if they can’t watch games.

You can argue it was a bad strike call. But he shouldn’t. 
If anyone should, it’s the catcher who knows it wasn’t a strike and knows of a few pitches just like that that weren’t called at a pivotal moment. Yes, I do know he should have been already out but it’s not reviewable and it was one of many mistakes. 

I was about to go to sleep and then it was over. Still ridiculously late. My son loves the Yankees and aside from maybe a Friday or Saturday night game if he doesn’t have a tournament, game 3 at 3pm is the only one he’ll be able to watch. You don’t grow young fans if they can’t watch games.
I've been saying this same thing for 20+ years.  MLB wonders why kids aren't watching as much as they used to and it's because they have to go to bed by the 2nd inning.  MLB is too focused on the now (advertiser's money for prime time slots) instead of the future (the kids who aren't watching baseball and will grow up to be non-fans.)

I've been saying this same thing for 20+ years.  MLB wonders why kids aren't watching as much as they used to and it's because they have to go to bed by the 2nd inning.  MLB is too focused on the now (advertiser's money for prime time slots) instead of the future (the kids who aren't watching baseball and will grow up to be non-fans.)
I have to agree on that. I think a lot of kids would have to be 15-16 before they stayed up that late to watch that game. Would they even care by that point? 

If anyone should, it’s the catcher who knows it wasn’t a strike and knows of a few pitches just like that that weren’t called at a pivotal moment. Yes, I do know he should have been already out but it’s not reviewable and it was one of many mistakes. 
But there are always missed calls on close pitches.  I honestly believe that in baseball, especially, there are not a lot of make up calls.  In fact, I believe there are more grudge calls than make up calls.  An ump calls a pitch a strike that's out of the zone and the batter says something smart to him?  If I'm a pitcher, I throw a pitch to the same spot, but slightly more out of the strike zone because there's a good chance that ump will call it a strike just because he's trying to make a point.

But what made it "epic"?  And maybe I'm splitting hairs here, but it was good.  And it was a great finish.  But I feel like "epic" implies it was one of the greatest games played.  Like,  Game 5 of the 2017 WS was an epic game.  One for the ages.  But the game was tied in the 5th inning and then nothing really happened until the walk off homerun in the 11th.  
Do you have a better word for what it was? 

I think the fact it was a walk off and the way Correa stood there and admired it and then did the can you hear me thing, and then the jump shot at the end made it epic. In a game the Astros had to have. 

And I think lots happened in those innings where no one scored. Great pitching and defense on both sides. If Correa doesn’t make that defensive play and the Astros bullpen faltered there’s no epic finish like we had. 

Do you have a better word for what it was? 

I think the fact it was a walk off and the way Correa stood there and admired it and then did the can you hear me thing, and then the jump shot at the end made it epic. In a game the Astros had to have. 

And I think lots happened in those innings where no one scored. Great pitching and defense on both sides. If Correa doesn’t make that defensive play and the Astros bullpen faltered there’s no epic finish like we had. 
It was a good game.

Yeah, definitely hard to grow the fan base with kids that way.  And the usual arguments are that if they start any earlier, people working on the West Coast won't be able to watch from the beginning, which holds less water on the weekends.  But I guess ratings and advertising revenue are better if they don't have to compete with Redskins-Dolphins or whatever other crap games were on yesterday afternoon.

Yeah, definitely hard to grow the fan base with kids that way.  And the usual arguments are that if they start any earlier, people working on the West Coast won't be able to watch from the beginning, which holds less water on the weekends.  But I guess ratings and advertising revenue are better if they don't have to compete with Redskins-Dolphins or whatever other crap games were on yesterday afternoon.
3/4 of the US lives in the Central and Eastern time zones.  So it's a dumb argument by them to begin with.

I’m hearing there’s a good chance for a lot of rain in NY on Wednesday. So maybe game 4 gets rained out. Both teams were probably scrambling to find a starting pitcher so not sure who it would help or hurt. 

I have to agree on that. I think a lot of kids would have to be 15-16 before they stayed up that late to watch that game. Would they even care by that point? 
Game lasted 4:49 minutes.  All the playoff games have been pushing 4 hours as well.  After 11 I just have a hard time staying interested.

I noticed that this entire postseason (and this is for everyone, not a single team), when a pitch is outside of the box, whether it be a little or a lot, and the umpire calls it a strike, almost every single announcer says something like, "That's a good pitch.  Painted the corner."  

If they are not allowed to say an ump made a bad call, that's dumb on MLB's part.  Hometown announcers say it all the time.  We can all see the pitch was outside the box.  Why are they pretending it's a good strike call?  I hate that.  You don't have to demean the ump, but we can acknowledge it's a missed call.  We don't need Muhammad Saeed al-Sahhaf up in the booth trying to convince us otherwise.
The announcers said that both the missed foul tip and the called strike 3 were bad calls.

Last edited by a moderator:
Close, but usually if a catcher is setup outside and still reaches for it 
What I don't get is why these catchers ALL set up extreme outside or inside. What happens is the umpire then sets up inside or outside right over the catchers shoulder.

So those catchers are basically removing about half of the plate from the umpire's eyes. Just set up over the plate and use your glove to set the target inside or outside. And dang near every catcher does this.

In these days of analytics, why don't they catch this simple fix?

The announcers said that both the missed foul tip and the called strike 3 were bad calls.
I'm not saying they weren't bad calls.  But what I'm saying is sometimes an ump just makes a bad call.  I don't think they are doing it as a make up call, although obviously I can't be positive.  But I don't think professional MLB umpires give a lot of "make up calls."  

Users who are viewing this thread