What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2020 MLB Spring Training (9 Viewers)

I’m a Braves fan, my team wasn’t there. I’m also a baseball fan. 

Stripping titles isn’t dumb in baseball. History matters in baseball. 
I know you’re a Braves fan. Your team didn’t win. 

Since the 1800’s, baseball has been filled with cheating scandals, teams throwing games, betting scandals, steroid eras, juiced balls, corked bats...

Of all the sports in the world, baseball is pretty much the one that is fairly ok with not caring about what history thinks. And stripping titles is 100% stupid. Get over it. 

Last edited by a moderator:
They’re not stripping titles. That’s dumb. They won. You can’t rewrite history. 

Honestly, get over it. All of this crying and moaning is getting old. Your team lost. Boo boo.  Cheat better next year.
Fixed

I know your a Braves fan. Your team didn’t win. 

Since the 1800’s, baseball has been filled with cheating scandals, teams throwing games, betting scandals, steroid eras, juiced balls, corked bats...

Of all the sports in the world, baseball is pretty much the one that is fairly ok with not caring about what history thinks. And stripping titles is 100% stupid. Get over it. 
:loco:

ETA:  I would also like to see games be more of an event.  This would help increase interest for the regular season.  I think most people agree that the regular season is too long and gets to be boring.  Teams just playing out the string.  My idea is to only have games on the weekends.  Either Fri-Sat-Sun or Fri-Sat-Sun-Mon or Th-Fri-Sat-Sun. 

You get 3 or 4 game series with special Thursday night or Monday night marquee games.  Teams can minimize starting rotations so that pitching is better.  You play around 90-100 games ( I haven't really looked at how many games this would cut off).  Games have more meaning and you get more of special atmosphere because they are only on the weekends (like football). 
There’s practically no chance they’ll ever decrease to 90-100 games. They’re all about the money. 

Also if you did this it would mess with historical records. Would 2000 hits get you in the Hall of Fame instead of 3000, for example. 

I actually like this. It would stop teams from tanking so much and allow more cities to enjoy meaningful baseball games later into the summer. 
Sounds interesting to me as well.

To me, baseball is broken not because of length of game. Or balls in play. 

Baseball is broken because a third of the teams are trying to win every year. One third are tanking. And the other 3rd don’t know which way to go.

So 2/3 of your fan base has a team that is either not trying to win on purpose or are in the middle. Its no wonder people don’t watch or go to the games. Fans have to have hope.

Sounds interesting to me as well.

To me, baseball is broken not because of length of game. Or balls in play. 

Baseball is broken because a third of the teams are trying to win every year. One third are tanking. And the other 3rd don’t know which way to go.

So 2/3 of your fan base has a team that is either not trying to win on purpose or are in the middle. Its no wonder people don’t watch or go to the games. Fans have to have hope.
A 95 loss team isn't going to contend for the post-season no matter how much it's expanded and diluted.

If this is the problem you're trying to solve, a salary floor would be a more direct approach.

My father was involved in many of the “new” pro sports leagues (like ABA,WHA, WTT...) I always thought it was a matter of time before pro sports became more like pro wrestling and becoming entertainment and not a game. Even in the ABA they would “trade” (move) players around to get better attendance-especially if the player was from the local region.

actually no.
Uh, yes. Jeter Downs had a 2 million dollar signing bonus. That’s not including his salary. Or future salary. 

And Turner clarifies his point saying “no one cares who reports trades first.” Actually, those guys’ get paid based on things like that. So why is Turner trying to hurt the families of the reporters? 

I woke up in the middle of the night to hear a guy on WFAN I’d never heard before by the name of Sal Licata. He said when you take into account sign stealing, PEDs, gambling managers, pitchers doctoring balls, etc. that basically the whole history of baseball is tainted. He was ripping Yankee fans complaining about the Astros and then listed a bunch of players on PEDs on the 2009 Yankees. 

It was refreshing to hear that perspective from someone up there. 

I woke up in the middle of the night to hear a guy on WFAN I’d never heard before by the name of Sal Licata. He said when you take into account sign stealing, PEDs, gambling managers, pitchers doctoring balls, etc. that basically the whole history of baseball is tainted. He was ripping Yankee fans complaining about the Astros and then listed a bunch of players on PEDs on the 2009 Yankees. 

It was refreshing to hear that perspective from someone up there. 
That's pretty much what I said last night.  Wait.  Am I Sal Licata?  I've never seen the two of us in the same room together.  

MOAR MANUFACTURED DRAMA!!!@!@!@;@

Nothing I dislike more in sports
That's why I'm glad Spring Training is officially here.  The offseason is fun to an extent, but after a while it's just the same old back and forth.  I'm ready to start watching a baseball game every night again.

Of course you’re in favor. Allowing the Astros to pick their playoff team helps insure they play a team whose signs they already know.
I actually didn't see the part about teams picking.  Just the expanded playoffs.  It sounds like it might be gimmicky, but it could also be fun.  I think it would be worth exploring.  The fact the players and owners seem to be on board gives it some more gravitas.  

But even if they don't do the Selection Show part, I'm all for adding 4 more teams to the postseason.  

Anybody know anything about spring practice schedules? I found one website but not sure how legit it is. We usually go to a few spring games but I am off Friday and want to take the boy to watch some BP. Looking for the Phillies or Pirates. 

There’s practically no chance they’ll ever decrease to 90-100 games. They’re all about the money. 

Also if you did this it would mess with historical records. Would 2000 hits get you in the Hall of Fame instead of 3000, for example. 
I totally agree there is no chance they would ever do that but I think it would make the game better and bring fans back into the sport. 

I totally agree there is no chance they would ever do that but I think it would make the game better and bring fans back into the sport. 
I would actually hate for them to shorten the season.  I love that there is a game almost every night of the summer.  

Uh, yes. Jeter Downs had a 2 million dollar signing bonus. That’s not including his salary. Or future salary. 

And Turner clarifies his point saying “no one cares who reports trades first.” Actually, those guys’ get paid based on things like that. So why is Turner trying to hurt the families of the reporters? 
The vast majority of minor leaguers dont get large bonuses and play for less than minimum wage.   Do some research.  

I would actually hate for them to shorten the season.  I love that there is a game almost every night of the summer.  
I do too but people that actually like the nuances of the game are going away.  Baseball is actually about the mental/physical grind of playing every day.  It is a game that rewards perseverance.  It is a game that is based on failure and how you come back from failing more often than succeeding.  Unfortunately the game is also changing to be an all (homerun) or nothing (strikeout) event.  Nobody cares about basehits and moving runners or playing defense.  Throw 100 mph and hit 450' home runs.  It is already ruining the game to some respect. 

This change would alter the game drastically however his is becoming a short attention span society.  Baseball season is too long for them and they cannot handle it.  Make it where every series is an event and where you get marquee matchups every game and more people will come back to it.  It will never happen this way but it would be interesting to try it. 

I do too but people that actually like the nuances of the game are going away.  Baseball is actually about the mental/physical grind of playing every day.  It is a game that rewards perseverance.  It is a game that is based on failure and how you come back from failing more often than succeeding.  Unfortunately the game is also changing to be an all (homerun) or nothing (strikeout) event.  Nobody cares about basehits and moving runners or playing defense.  Throw 100 mph and hit 450' home runs.  It is already ruining the game to some respect. 

This change would alter the game drastically however his is becoming a short attention span society.  Baseball season is too long for them and they cannot handle it.  Make it where every series is an event and where you get marquee matchups every game and more people will come back to it.  It will never happen this way but it would be interesting to try it. 
I understand what you're saying, but don't believe the ant-PR that baseball has been getting the last decade.  While it's true that nationwide viewership is down for TV, local markets are booming and teams are doing very well.  I'd hate to see them make drastic changes to the game in hopes of winning over the Twitter crowd.  Luckily, MLB more than any other sport has consistently told the critics to go pound sand.  It's almost like they know the threats of people boycotting or leaving the sport don't mean anything to them.  They're like the cranky old man yelling at the kids to turn down their rap music.  

How about this for a cool change that I thought up...

If there’s a WS game 7 you take a 2-3 day break and play it at a predetermined neutral site. This would let you get rest and a marquee pitching matchup and could be like the super bowl. Set up the schedule so it would fall on a Sunday. 

2-2-1-1 schedule for the first 6 games. 

If there’s a WS game 7 you take a 2-3 day break and play it at a predetermined neutral site. This would let you get rest and a marquee pitching matchup and could be like the super bowl. Set up the schedule so it would fall on a Sunday. 

Sounds awesome on paper.  But I think it fall apart when you think that the game would be played in early November.  Plus, if you move it to a neutral site, no home field advantage.  And I don't think people would travel for it like the SB.  It would seem like a slight to the home fan base.

You Astros guys haven’t killed baseball enough already?

Sounds awesome on paper.  But I think it fall apart when you think that the game would be played in early November.  Plus, if you move it to a neutral site, no home field advantage.  And I don't think people would travel for it like the SB.  It would seem like a slight to the home fan base.
Cole vs. Strasburg in Miami this past year for example. 

How awesome would that be?

I don't think it would work because of the home field advantage aspect.  Part of the excitement of the game 7 is the home crowd.  One team earned that advantage and wants to keep it.  Ballpark nuances also play a factor.  It's not like football where every playing field is the same.  Each home field has it's advantages/disadvantages.  Most teams somewhat build based on their home parks.  Taking it to a neutral site would have some affect on this advantage as well. 

I see Trevor Bauer is complaining to Manfred about the new playoff format.  He doesn't like it.  Well, good news, Trevor, as a Cincinnati Red you won't have to worry about how the playoffs work.  

I don't think it would work because of the home field advantage aspect.  Part of the excitement of the game 7 is the home crowd.  One team earned that advantage and wants to keep it.  Ballpark nuances also play a factor.  It's not like football where every playing field is the same.  Each home field has it's advantages/disadvantages.  Most teams somewhat build based on their home parks.  Taking it to a neutral site would have some affect on this advantage as well. 
The two leagues play mostly within their league and even play by different rules. HFA makes sense for all series up to the WS, where it doesn’t make a lot of sense. 

Look how football does it. Super Bowl is neutral. Look how football is killing all the other sports. 

Remember when they gave the advantage to the league that won the All Star game? What a joke that was. MLB has done some super dumb stuff over the years. 

The two leagues play mostly within their league and even play by different rules. HFA makes sense for all series up to the WS, where it doesn’t make a lot of sense. 

Look how football does it. Super Bowl is neutral. Look how football is killing all the other sports

Remember when they gave the advantage to the league that won the All Star game? What a joke that was. MLB has done some super dumb stuff over the years. 
Football killing other sports has nothing at all to do with having a neutral site for the Super Bowl.  Football dominates other sports because there are minimal games bunched on basically one day where everyone can focus on the games that are much more meaningful than one game out of 162.  Each game is an event.  No other sport is like that due to the quantity of games played. 

The leagues don't play by different rules, they play by different lineup requirements.  I know that is splitting hairs but the rules of the game are the same.  They could also go to head to head records or records vs common opponents for the HFA if you had worry that the team with the best 162 game schedule didn't earn the HFA.   Personally I think the sample of 162 games gives a better representation of the better team and the team that deserves HFA. 

Just can't admit when you are wrong.  It's what we love about your Sheik!
I have no problem admitting when I'm wrong.  I do it all the time.  But in this case, I'm not wrong.  This whole thing started when I said that Turner was an idiot for complaining about the trades falling through because it was ruining families.  I said it was a bad look for millionaires to be complaining about having to sell one mansion on short notice to buy another.  People said minor leaguers don't make millions.  I said not all, but the ones in this trade do.  Then we got off on a tangent about how a lot of minor leaguers don't make a lot of money.  That was never the argument.  

Nope. Maybe 20k people there. 
I'm a HUGE baseball fan, but if my team isn't in the playoffs, I might not watch a single game of the postseason.  And I'm sure I'm in the majority with that statement.  

Let alone, take off work, pay for a flight and hotel THEN pay for a ticket to a game where I don't like any of the teams.

C’mon guys. 

That’s a dream matchup. A few days of build up like the Super Bowl gets and it’s going to be a sellout with lots of positive national attention on a sport that desperately needs it
A "few days" of build up is tough to plan ahead for.  For the Super Bowl, fans of teams at least have two weeks to plan for airfare, travel, time off work, somebody to watch kids, etc. Airlines/airports put in place plans for extra flights to the host city.

Maybe one-third of World Series matchups go seven games.  Nobody will want to commit to anything until game 7 is a certainty, and then it will just be chaos that few people will want to deal with.

I just heard FIFA has stripped every single winner of every World Cup because it turns out players weren't actually hurt and were actually flopping to get calls.  

This sports cheating scandal seems to be widening.  

Roenike named managed of the Sox. Gonna be weird if he’s named in the investigation. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Another big story dropped on the Athletic. Guys on WFAN just railing on the Astros when the dude the story is about (Beltran) has been with NY 4 out of 5 years. Just have to laugh at this. 

Joe and Evan are the biggest homer idiots I’ve ever had the pleasure of listening to. 

Users who are viewing this thread