What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2020 MLB Spring Training (4 Viewers)

I thought she was ok, but I was surprised they let her work for the Mets and announce. She had player access for interviews, that’s gotta be a conflict of interest. Also she had a bad Fiers take with a snitches get stitches problem. 
I get the conflict of interest -- makes sense -- but to have it all go down (with both organizations) at the same, smells to me.  Ditch the Mets gig and all's well.  But ESPN, who you know loves to have a woman in the both and point to it, demotes her on top of it?  Seems like there's something more to it, like maybe your latter point.  I'd love to know.

Jessica was let go because she had the nerve to criticize Mike Fiers. 
This.  They made the press release make it sound like it was already in the works but I doubt it.  @shadyridr it did say in the release Cone is a possibility to pair with ARod and maybe Vasgergian (or he might be gone too).

I am generally pretty chauvinist when it comes to female announcers (the lady who does the 9:00 CFB game for espn is particularly bad).  But I don't mind Burke and I loved Jess.  Knows her stuff, not afraid to criticize, and not trying too hard to be either one of the guys or anything else.  Just being herself.

Downs is an interesting prospect, could be 2B option in a year or two. Wong looks like a backup but Catchers mature late so may he'll be a starter down the road. Still hate losing Betts but I like this version of the trade better than the Graterol version  :shrug:

Last edited by a moderator:
Justin Turner is becoming the whiny cry baby of baseball.  Him being mad that players being traded and then having the deals fall through is affecting the lives and families involved.  Shut the hell up.  You guys are making millions of dollars and if this is your biggest complaint, you are in the .000001% of luckiest people on the planet.  People get laid off, fired and much worse.  No one wants to hear how tough it is for you guys to sell your mansion and then have to buy a new mansion in a different city.

Justin Turner is becoming the whiny cry baby of baseball.  Him being mad that players being traded and then having the deals fall through is affecting the lives and families involved.  Shut the hell up.  You guys are making millions of dollars and if this is your biggest complaint, you are in the .000001% of luckiest people on the planet.  People get laid off, fired and much worse.  No one wants to hear how tough it is for you guys to sell your mansion and then have to buy a new mansion in a different city.
The minor leaguers involved aren't millionaires with mansions.

So am I, still doesn’t mean I wouldn’t be upset thinking I’m uprooting my entire life to move somewhere else and then having it not happen. 
But this is the nature of the business.  Complaining that a trade fell through and you have wait a week to move to a new city is not high on the list of "worst things to happen to you at your workplace."  Let's keep a little perspective here.

I still like the trade for LA.  They get Betts, Price and Graterol.

Now will be interesting if they can move Joc and Stripling since the Angels trade is off.

I still like the trade for LA.  They get Betts, Price and Graterol.

Now will be interesting if they can move Joc and Stripling since the Angels trade is off.
I don't get the no Joc trade.  Sounds like the Angels owner was butt hurt that it took so long to finalize.  But it seemed like a good trade for both teams.  If they Dodgers ship Joc somewhere else, the real losers will be the Angels.

I don't get the no Joc trade.  Sounds like the Angels owner was butt hurt that it took so long to finalize.  But it seemed like a good trade for both teams.  If they Dodgers ship Joc somewhere else, the real losers will be the Angels.
Timing overall was weird.  You had the Betts Trade, then the Joc trade, then the arbitration decision on Joc, then the no betts trade, then the betts trade, then the no Joc trade.

Yes.  Some guys.  But not these guys.  These are prospects that are either making decent money, or will be making decent money.  Again, let's keep things in perspective here.  And if they have a problem with it, talk internally.  Don't go to Twitter to try and make it sound like you're being hosed by the man.  

On top of all of this, how many trades have fallen through like this in the last century?  It's not like this happens 100 times a season.  I can't remember another time this happened in the last decade.  In any sport.  It's very rare, even if it has.  So suck it up, buttercup.  Stuff happens.  Life is difficult.  And sometimes things don't work out the way you would like them to.  Get over it.  Life's tough, wear a helmet. 

Yes.  Some guys.  But not these guys.  These are prospects that are either making decent money, or will be making decent money.  Again, let's keep things in perspective here.  And if they have a problem with it, talk internally.  Don't go to Twitter to try and make it sound like you're being hosed by the man.  

On top of all of this, how many trades have fallen through like this in the last century?  It's not like this happens 100 times a season.  I can't remember another time this happened in the last decade.  In any sport.  It's very rare, even if it has.  So suck it up, buttercup.  Stuff happens.  Life is difficult.  And sometimes things don't work out the way you would like them to.  Get over it.  Life's tough, wear a helmet. 
The complaint by Turner doesn't make sense because the players would have been made aware of the trade well before the press anyway. Trade fell apart after a physical. 

Kraft... said:
Downs is an interesting prospect, could be 2B option in a year or two. Wong looks like a backup but Catchers mature late so may he'll be a starter down the road. Still hate losing Betts but I like this version of the trade better than the Graterol version  :shrug:
not me - Downs could end up a good'un, but i was looking fwd to a decade of a sane Fernando Rodney closing games for us.

Manfred needed to throw the book at the Astros.  He went modest and it didn’t make anyone happy - this season is going to be a #### show. 

The players who engaged in the cheating should have "had a nice season."
I don't disagree with that at all.  In fact, I said I thought that was a terrible decision.  But much like a court of law, they decided to give them immunity in order to get all of the details of the cheating.  But once they gave immunity to the players, they had limited options on punishments.  They gave the maximum fine allowed.  And they banned two people for a year, which is the second longest ban ever handed down.  I mean, I guess you could have banned them for 2 or 3 years, but is that really more damaging?  All in all, Manfred threw the book at them as much as he could. 

That would affect a lot of other teams than the Astros. Lot of roster turnover in 3 years. 
Another reason this wasn't done.  Ban a full team.  Plus all of the other players who were on the team.  Then maybe all of the Red Sox.  And any other team.  Banning players would have led to baseball being hurt.   Cutting off their nose to spite their face.

Another reason this wasn't done.  Ban a full team.  Plus all of the other players who were on the team.  Then maybe all of the Red Sox.  And any other team.  Banning players would have led to baseball being hurt.   Cutting off their nose to spite their face.
No punishment will ever be enough for some...

No punishment will ever be enough for some...
I don't really have a ton of interest one way or another, the whole story is kinda indicative of how pathetic MLB is as a whole. I think you still get some kind of suspension if you're caught taking PEDs right? But cheating to influence your success rate in this way doesn't warrant any punishment on the player side? What exactly has this done to deter this kind of behavior in the future on the players' part?

I don't really have a ton of interest one way or another, the whole story is kinda indicative of how pathetic MLB is as a whole. I think you still get some kind of suspension if you're caught taking PEDs right? But cheating to influence your success rate in this way doesn't warrant any punishment on the player side? What exactly has this done to deter this kind of behavior in the future on the players' part?
There were concerns that the players association would appeal each suspension dragging the process out even longer.  I also think that to an extent the players used the Nuremberg defense.  Hinch never told the players to stop doing it and Luhnow buried the memo from MLB threatening severe penalties.  The players could claim they were simply following orders or at least were never told it was against the rules. 

My Mariners fresh off their big off season deal - resigning Marco Gonzalez! Can you feel the excitement. Plenty of room aboard the band wagon.

The slogan for this season will be “At least we don’t cheat!”

Strip the title for starters and then any awards as well. That alone would have stopped me from chirping.  
They’re not stripping titles. That’s dumb. They won. You can’t rewrite history. 

Honestly, get over it. All of this crying and moaning is getting old. Your team lost. Boo boo. Be better next year. 

They’re not stripping titles. That’s dumb. They won. You can’t rewrite history. 

Honestly, get over it. All of this crying and moaning is getting old. Your team lost. Boo boo. Be better next year. 
I’m a Braves fan, my team wasn’t there. I’m also a baseball fan. 

Stripping titles isn’t dumb in baseball. History matters in baseball. 

I actually like this. It would stop teams from tanking so much and allow more cities to enjoy meaningful baseball games later into the summer. 
I am not so sure.  I don't really think it would stop that much tanking.  There would still be bad teams that don't have any shot so it wouldn't stop them.  There are aspects that are interesting. 

I think adding teams should mean that the better teams get a greater advantage and having all three games at home fulfills that.  I might rather have two teams get byes and then have 1 division winner (worse record) and three wild card teams.  So only 6 playoff teams (one more than now).  That leads to two best of 3 series as the "wild card round". 

Then the two winner's of those series have to start the next day as the potential 4th game in a row.  This gives the top 2 division winners and advantage of planning their pitching rotation while the wild card winners will have to make due based on how quick they won their series.  I know TV will probably have some say in this schedule but condensing it somewhat to give a rotation advantage to the best two teams seems like a good thing to do to me. 

I think there are possibilities here to make it more interesting while not stripping the regular season of too much meaning.

ETA:  I would also like to see games be more of an event.  This would help increase interest for the regular season.  I think most people agree that the regular season is too long and gets to be boring.  Teams just playing out the string.  My idea is to only have games on the weekends.  Either Fri-Sat-Sun or Fri-Sat-Sun-Mon or Th-Fri-Sat-Sun. 

You get 3 or 4 game series with special Thursday night or Monday night marquee games.  Teams can minimize starting rotations so that pitching is better.  You play around 90-100 games ( I haven't really looked at how many games this would cut off).  Games have more meaning and you get more of special atmosphere because they are only on the weekends (like football). 

I know it is a drastic idea but I think it would increase fan popularity. 

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread