What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2021: Which NFL franchise is currently the most dysfunctional? (1 Viewer)

Which NFL Team gets your vote as the #4 dysfunctional organization?

• New York Jets

Votes: 31 14.5%
  • Washington Football Team

Votes: 26 12.1%
  • Detroit Lions

Votes: 44 20.6%
  • Cleveland Browns

Votes: 3 1.4%
  • Houston Texans

Votes: 11 5.1%
  • Dallas Cowboys

Votes: 16 7.5%
  • Jacksonville Jaguars

Votes: 33 15.4%
  • Cincinnati Bengals

Votes: 17 7.9%
  • Chicago Bears

Votes: 24 11.2%
  • Other Team (please post which team)

Votes: 9 4.2%

• Total voters
The Washington Post reported that Dan Snyder tried to interfere with attorney Beth Wilkinson's investigation of the accusations levied toward the Washington owner.

This isn't particularly surprising news given Snyder's track record, but it only adds to the atrocity of what is going on with the Washington Football Team. The report alleges that Snyder's lawyers tried to prevent Wilkinson from contacting the accuser and offered additional money beyond the original settlement to the accuser in order to not talk about her experiences.

SOURCE: ProFootballTalk

Dec 14, 2021, 6:40 PM ET

It's hard to believe, but HOU and JAX are actually somehow more dysfunctional than the WFT.  Most of the WFT drama is off the field these days.  HOU and JAX are a complete mess at every level.

This is a phenomenal Twitter thread cataloging Snyder’s countless transgressions. I think a lot of people don’t realize the scumbag practices he used to make his money in the first place. This also serves as a sort of mic drop in the discussion of the NFL’s worst owner. 
Today's Washington Post article details how Dan Snyder hired Beth Wilkinson to conduct an "objective" investigation into the Washington front office toxic culture, and then within days started impeding her investigation using lawyers, private investigators, bribes and worse. His henchment tracked down people Wilkinson wanted to talk to, followed them, watched their houses, contacted their families, and generally intimidated the hell out of them.

Then, when it seemed like Wilkinson's investigation results were going to be made public, Snyder somehow got the NFL to take it over and completely bury the results.

The NFL is afraid of him. That's the only reason I can figure they allowed him to borrow money to buy out his minority owners, and the only reason I can figure they've covered this up for him. He'll sue anyone, anywhere, for any reason he dreams up, and he never lets up. He's so paranoid that he sued a media outlet in India, then used that legal proceeding to somehow convince US courts to allow him to go on fishing expeditions of US people. All because he thinks there's a worldwide conspiracy to make him look bad.

From that thread:

July 24, 1999: I just bought the team and fired Charley Casserly, who would go on to win Sporting News executive of the year. I replace him with Vinny Cerrato, a failed actor with limited football experience.

Cerrato was in the 49er front office with IIRC then GM Carmen "Wiseguy Lawyer" Policy and of all people Dwight Clark who was always several scotches deep in the bag. They were horrid. I dunno how Cerrato ever got another job. Must be because he is greasy like Carmen Policy.

I feel like the Lions leading this poll (& I know the polling data is old) is wrong on so many levels.

Now, if you wanna say they’re the biggest losers in North America team sports, that I can get on board with.

But they’re not dysfunctional (maybe semantics & my definition is too narrow.) They’re not the scourge of the NFL, the embarrassing uncle who gets over-served on holidays. Their players aren’t criminals or divas. It’s the graveyard of coaching - no Lions HC has had a subsequent NFL HC job. 

They are perfectly normal. They actually have a pretty decent work culture. No weird acting coaches or GMs. Patricia was toxic, got rid of him.

However, they ARE incredibly inept. Across generations and through changing regimes, they never get it right. No matter what they try, everything the Fords touch turns into poo.

But it is normal color normal smelling normal texture poo.

...for the moment.  One playoff victory in 60+ years with one common denominator: the last name of the person owning the franchise.

Until either one of those two things change, it's SOL.
Is Dan Gilbert a football fan?

Of course we all know we’re more likely to colonize Mara than the Fords are to selling the team.

The House Committee on Oversight and Reform has called for the NFL to release all documents pertaining to the Washington Football Team investigation.

This news comes in response to a Washington Post report from Tuesday that alleged Football Team owner Dan Snyder tried to prevent attorney Beth Wilkinson from gathering evidence. Many have called for the league to release evidence to the public, but NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell may be more inclined to listen to a government committee. Congress began their own investigation into the Football Team after the emails that got Jon Gruden fired were released.

SOURCE: ProFootballTalk

Dec 14, 2021, 8:12 PM ET

Jaguars fired coach Urban Meyer. 

This had become the only possible outcome to the most disastrous NFL head-coaching stint in recent memory. The die was cast in Week 4, when Meyer made the legendarily selfish decision to skip the team flight home following a wrenching Thursday night loss in Cincinnati to party in his home state, getting caught on candid camera pathetically cavorting with a woman who was not his wife. Predictably hubristic in his first taste of the big leagues, Meyer was unpredictably completely overmatched, getting worse — far worse — as the season wore on and losing his locker room in real time. The Jags were averaging nine points over their past seven games, historically bad output. Meyer's golden goose No. 1 overall pick Trevor Lawrence had totaled one touchdown in his past six starts, seeming overwhelmed on the field and embarrassed off of it. Lawrence — as well as his 52 teammates — had been put in the unacceptable position of continually having to answer for his head coach's foibles, both on and off the field. The situation was not tenable, least of all because Meyer seemed to have no clue what it took to win NFL football games. He committed the cardinal sin of turning his franchise into a laughingstock. This will undoubtedly be Meyer's final NFL job. The question becomes whether he will return to the college sidelines or retreat to the warm cocoon of television. 

RELATED: 

Jacksonville Jaguars

SOURCE: Adam Schefter on Twitter 

Dec 16, 2021, 12:40 AM ET

Jaguars named OC Darrell Bevell interim head coach. 

Aside from the fact that his offense is averaging nine points over its past seven contests, Bevell was the most sensible choice to take the reins following Thursday morning's news dump that Urban Meyer had been relieved of his duties as Jaguars head coach after only 13 games. It is the second time in two years Bevell has served as an interim head coach after earning the "honor" in Detroit last year, as well. Although he has never served as a head coach at any level, Bevell has a decade plus of coordinating experience, and unlike Meyer, will keep himself out of the news and presumably not have the entire roster turn against him in only a matter of days. With Meyer's tyrannical hand out of the team's affairs, perhaps Bevell might actually coax some improvement out of an undermanned but hardly talentless offense. If nothing else, it will be addition by subtraction, with Meyer's black cloud being removed and allowing players like Trevor Lawrence to just focus on their game for the final four weeks of the season. 

SOURCE: Adam Schefter on Twitter 

Dec 16, 2021, 12:56 AM ET
The Jaguars make the right decision here in an effort to reduce the level of dysfunctional traits they were exhibiting.

Still WFT by a country mile. Or did people miss the revelation that Snyder sent out his hit squad of goon lawyers to dissuade people from giving testimony in the investigation into the team culture.

It would be tough to be a fan of a team he owns.

The 2022 edition of this poll will be published later in February - I am thinking that the Dolphins should be added as a choice.

ESPN's Chris Mortensen reports the NFL will investigate "the specific allegations that Brian Flores has made concerning Dolphins owner Stephen Ross offering him $100,000 per-loss incentives in 2019."

Mort added that the league will also investigate other potential rules violations but he did not clarify what those would be. The allegations stem from a lawsuit Flores filed that alleges Ross offer him money to lose games in 2019, gaining the Dolphins a better draft pick. The lawsuit also claims that teams use racist hiring practices when looking for head coaches. In a text exchange with Bill Belichick, the New England coach seemingly reveals that Brian Daboll had already secured the Giants' head coaching job before Flores had even interviewed. Flores also claims that Denver execs, including John Elway, showed up to their interview an hour late and intoxicated. Both incidents could be what Mort is referencing. Expect a lengthy battle in court and in the eye of public opinion between Flores and the league.

RELATED: 

Brian Flores

SOURCE: Chris Mortensen on Twitter

Feb 2, 2022, 7:18 PM ET

Dolphins owner has issued an official statement calling former coach Brian Flores' allegations "false, malicious and defamatory."  

In addition to Flores' charges of racism, he has alleged Ross offered him $100,000 per game to intentionally lose in 2019 and tried to strong arm him into a rule-breaking meeting with a free agent quarterback — believed to be Tom Brady — in 2020. "With regard to the allegations being made by Brian Flores, I am a man of honor and integrity and cannot let them stand without responding,” Ross said late Wednesday. “I take great personal exception to these malicious attacks, and the truth must be known." Ross and the NFL sound like they are digging in for war, though the league is believed to be readying an investigation into Flores' tanking allegation. At least at first blush, Flores doesn't seem to be running low on evidence. Ross could be in a fight for his survival as Dolphins owner. 

SOURCE: Miami Herald 

Feb 3, 2022, 12:33 AM ET

Responding to a sexual harassment allegation brought on Wednesday by a former Washington cheerleader and marketing manager, Commanders owner Dan Snyder said "the allegations leveled against me personally ... are outright lies."

Eager to continue to bury the past, the Commanders will continue to attempt to ignore these stories beyond organizational change. "I apologize again today for this conduct, and fully support the people who have been victimized and have come forward to tell their stories," the statement reads. Tiffani Johnston, who spoke Wednesday, accused Snyder of placing his hand on her thigh under the table and pushing her aggressively toward his limo while asking her to ride with him. The only thing that thwarted it, per her story, was an attorney intervention. As long as the league continues to be behind him, it's unlikely that Snyder will face any real punishment. 

SOURCE: John Keim on Twitter

Feb 3, 2022, 2:04 PM ET

It's like every time an NFL franchise does something to win this poll Washington says "hold my beer". I'll see your tanking and tampering allegations and raise you a Congressional investigation.

Users who are viewing this thread