What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2022-23 NBA Thread: “you’ll never let me down like the Heat did”, Miami fan says to giant pile of cocaine (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.
So Miami, Atlanta and Washington are 7th, 8th and 10th in the East. Would they all be in the play in or does one automatically get in for winning the Southeast division?

So Miami, Atlanta and Washington are 7th, 8th and 10th in the East. Would they all be in the play in or does one automatically get in for winning the Southeast division?

If a division can't produce a top 6 in a conference then they should just be relegated to G league.

On a more serious note, I expect at least one of these teams should pass the Nets.

IIRC, the league switched to seedings based solely on record back in 2015. I don’t believe they went back to higher seeds for division winners or any special provisions for the play-in tourney.

Having watched almost every Boston game this season, I have observed that they look tired and sometimes just plain slow these days. I have harped that they were playing some guys too many minutes as the season progressed, and that may be catching up to them. Quickly at 55 minutes played last night had more bounce in his step than most of the C's did in the first quarter. Boston guys lately have been beaten off the dribble in half court sets. On multiple occasions, on Boston's made baskets, they were very lax in getting back on defense and gave up uncontested layups. By 2OT against the Knicks, all the Celtics shots were short, they had no action, had very little ball movement, and just looked drained. Anyone else come to a similar conclusion?

I get it, it was a long game, but they are at it again tonight against the Cavs with some heavy minutes from last night (JT 49, JB 47, Al 46, Grant 44, Smart 39, White 32). Don't see how they have much shot at beating Cleveland.
Neither did I. Not gonna hit this same game parlay.

Celtics go length of court the miss tough layup, two free throws, and a tip in all in the final second of regulation to settle for OT.

Ja
Have any of you guys/gals been hearing about Ja possibly getting up to a 50 game suspension from the league? I saw some stuff on facebook about it—but it all seemed to come from clickbait type of sources. Now—I’m seeing it in these second tier sports sites like fansided…etc. The premise is that because Ja had the gun with him in Denver—that he most likely brought it with him on the team plane. Apparently a member of Reddit says that this is where the league can step in and impose a big punishment—because the CBA has a clause that firearms can’t be brought on any travels involving any NBA related business. I’m still not sure if this is clickbait type stuff or if it’s legit—and was wondering if you guys had heard anything.

I saw somebody clip out a page from the CBA that basically says that there are no firearms allowed near or during any NBA-related event. I would doubt a 50 game ban, but once you include the Pacers' staffer incident where somebody in Ja's car pointed a laser, potentially from a gun, leaving the game, I think this could really end up with a significant suspension.

I said it a few days ago, and I still stand by it, this is giving me Hernandez vibes (again, other than that whole murdering a small handful of people - big caveat).

Something that is getting lost in a lot of the discussion surrounding Ja - there are a lot of people say that Ja is surrounding himself with bad people. From all the stories that have come out, it isn't Ja's crew doing the dumb **** and he's just there for it, it is Ja being the bad guy. It is not his circumstance that is getting him in trouble, it is directly and 100% his own actions. It's been a while since I can remember an NBA player with this much off-court controversy - there have been plenty of worse incidents (Miles Bridges, as an example), but not four concerning stories that hit in less than a couple weeks.

And correct me if I am wrong, but Ja doesn't really have gang/hood type connections and history, right?
Not that I'm aware of. But if you wanted to get into the gang life, Memphis is probably one of the easier NBA cities to get into that lifestyle.
A rapper got shot there last year buying cookies. Ja needs to lay back.

Memphis is losing patience rapidly with Ja's "wannabe gangster" stunts. We're now getting into nearly half a dozen incidents in the last year or two..... all from a private school kid trying to be something he's just not.

At this point I'm actually hoping Powerade pulls the deal. It wouldn't surprise me if Nike put the Ja1 launch on hold... but sadly we're so close that the shoes have been made.
2 months ago my ticket-buddies and I were discussing adding a 4th ticket and trying to move up from our spot (8 rows off court) due in large part to Ja's part in the team's momentum. If this keeps up I may pull out altogether.
Many keep saying things like this, but I think it's a very real possibility that this IS who Ja Morant is. What is that old expression? When someone shows you who they are, believe them.

Celtics come up short in OT against CLE. Last three games, they blew 28, 14, and 15 point leads. Short handed tonight with Tatum, Horford, and RWilliams out. Still, had 5 chances to make a basket in the last second of regulation and missed all of them.

- Pritchard layup fell off rim
- Grant Williams miss tip in from 6 inches but fouled
- Grant Williams missed free throw
- Grant Williams missed free throw
- Marcus Smart missed tip in from 6 inches.

Last edited:
Celtics come up short in OT against CLE. Last three games, they blew 28, 14, and 15 point leads. Short handed tonight with Tatum, Horford, and RWilliams out. Still, had four chances to make a basket in the last second of regulation and missed all of them.
Was busy tonight and just looked at the box score. Boston's OT record is really poor.

Interesting stuff in this Shams report. Apparently the Grizzlies had a players only meeting where Steven Adams spoke up and addressed the team about how they need to be more disciplined on the road and avoid going out/being distracted. Shams claims that the Grizzlies players basically knew that this concern was directed primarily at Ja. This meeting allegedly occurred just a few hours before Ja went to the club and brandished the gun. If this is true—it sounds to me like his teammates knew that he was working his way down a reckless path.

Celtics come up short in OT against CLE. Last three games, they blew 28, 14, and 15 point leads. Short handed tonight with Tatum, Horford, and RWilliams out. Still, had four chances to make a basket in the last second of regulation and missed all of them.
Was busy tonight and just looked at the box score. Boston's OT record is really poor.

One of many indicators of tired legs

Memphis is losing patience rapidly with Ja's "wannabe gangster" stunts. We're now getting into nearly half a dozen incidents in the last year or two..... all from a private school kid trying to be something he's just not.

At this point I'm actually hoping Powerade pulls the deal. It wouldn't surprise me if Nike put the Ja1 launch on hold... but sadly we're so close that the shoes have been made.
2 months ago my ticket-buddies and I were discussing adding a 4th ticket and trying to move up from our spot (8 rows off court) due in large part to Ja's part in the team's momentum. If this keeps up I may pull out altogether.
Many keep saying things like this, but I think it's a very real possibility that this IS who Ja Morant is. What is that old expression? When someone shows you who they are, believe them.
I think their point was the he was raised in a middle class family.

"I'mma make 'em both" :lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao:
Had to search twitter for what this was about....put on your clown shoes Grant. Good grief.

So they had 2 FTs and a tip in to win it? Horrendous loss. Glad they are getting this garbage out of their system now.

Can we stop with the Ja was a private school kid thing? 1) it doesn't matter 2) he went to a public school
Agreed that private/public doesn't matter, but the fact remains that he was raised in a stable, two-parent, suburban home, so it's not like he's a kid who grew up in the "hood" who needs to "get out." Like Shannon Sharpe said, he's hustling backwards...

Something that is getting lost in a lot of the discussion surrounding Ja - there are a lot of people say that Ja is surrounding himself with bad people. From all the stories that have come out, it isn't Ja's crew doing the dumb **** and he's just there for it, it is Ja being the bad guy. It is not his circumstance that is getting him in trouble, it is directly and 100% his own actions. It's been a while since I can remember an NBA player with this much off-court controversy - there have been plenty of worse incidents (Miles Bridges, as an example), but not four concerning stories that hit in less than a couple weeks.

I think it's all of them feeding off each other. From The Athletic ...

"It was not the only recent demerit on the Morant file. As The Athletic first reported, acquaintances of Morant aggressively confronted members of the Pacers traveling party near the team’s bus in the loading area of FedExForum, and later someone in a slow-moving SUV — which Morant was riding in — trained a red laser on them. The league investigated the incident.

In that same game, an acquaintance of Morant’s named Davonte Pack wandered to half court while verbally sparring with Pacers players and was ejected by game officials. Pack was subsequently banned from Grizzlies games for a year."

Can we stop with the Ja was a private school kid thing? 1) it doesn't matter 2) he went to a public school
Agreed that private/public doesn't matter, but the fact remains that he was raised in a stable, two-parent, suburban home, so it's not like he's a kid who grew up in the "hood" who needs to "get out." Like Shannon Sharpe said, he's hustling backwards...
I mean, this "suburb" that he grew up in has a household median income of 31K. This isn't some wealthy suburban neighborhood

Ja
Have any of you guys/gals been hearing about Ja possibly getting up to a 50 game suspension from the league? I saw some stuff on facebook about it—but it all seemed to come from clickbait type of sources. Now—I’m seeing it in these second tier sports sites like fansided…etc. The premise is that because Ja had the gun with him in Denver—that he most likely brought it with him on the team plane. Apparently a member of Reddit says that this is where the league can step in and impose a big punishment—because the CBA has a clause that firearms can’t be brought on any travels involving any NBA related business. I’m still not sure if this is clickbait type stuff or if it’s legit—and was wondering if you guys had heard anything.

I saw somebody clip out a page from the CBA that basically says that there are no firearms allowed near or during any NBA-related event. I would doubt a 50 game ban, but once you include the Pacers' staffer incident where somebody in Ja's car pointed a laser, potentially from a gun, leaving the game, I think this could really end up with a significant suspension.

I said it a few days ago, and I still stand by it, this is giving me Hernandez vibes (again, other than that whole murdering a small handful of people - big caveat).

And correct me if I am wrong, but Ja doesn't really have gang/hood type connections and history, right?
Not that I'm aware of. But if you wanted to get into the gang life, Memphis is probably one of the easier NBA cities to get into that lifestyle.
100%. Had properties there ….

"I'mma make 'em both" :lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao:
Had to search twitter for what this was about....put on your clown shoes Grant. Good grief.

So they had 2 FTs and a tip in to win it? Horrendous loss. Glad they are getting this garbage out of their system now.
As I mentioned when it happened, Pritchard missed a layup that hung on the rim and fell off, Grant had a tip in from 6 inches that fell out (but was called a push in the back), Grant missed 2 FT's, and Smart missed a tip in from 6 inches. All in the final second of regulation. I have been watching basketball for almost 50 years and never saw a team miss 5 gimme opportunities in literally 1 second of play.

Are there no laws in Colorado related to being intoxicated and waving a gun around in a strip club? That seems against the law-y to me.
It’s frowned upon.

As Jalen Rose said, this guy is going to waive a gun at the wrong time and never see another basketball again. Kid is on the precipice of his career going one of two ways. The NBA has an obligation to wake him up before he never wakes up again. Just unfathomably stupid the stuff he's doing while on the cusp of super stardom that will set his family up for generations with wealth.

Just unfathomably stupid the stuff he's doing while on the cusp of super stardom that will set his family up for generations with wealth.
No doubt it is incredibly stupid.

However, by the end of this season he will have made 40 million in salary and over 10 million in endorsements. That is generational wealth right there

Just unfathomably stupid the stuff he's doing while on the cusp of super stardom that will set his family up for generations with wealth.

However, by the end of this season he will have made 40 million in salary and over 10 million in endorsements. That is generational wealth right there

Not really. When you figure taxes, fees for agents, lawyers etc and if he is making dumb decisions with guns then he probably hasn't been smart with his money he will be lucky if he has 20 percent.of that.

Not if he treats that windfall with the reckless carelessness that he is displaying currently. See Walker, Antoine and countless others.

I want no part of the Warriors in the playoffs but can't escape they've not been able to win on the road at all this season so far. They've got like the 3rd or 4th worst road mark in the league.

Schroeder has made some really tough shots tonight. Troy Brown with some big 3s. Ugly but entertaining game. Lakers with the W on Pau Gasol night. Moves them on the good side of the playin line for now.

Another "side note" for the Grizzlies game tonight (at Lakers).

The Lakers are retiring Pau Gasol's jersey tonight. Classy dude, great player.
i totally agree about pau gasol and its too bad its the lakers that are retiring it he also played for the bucks for three games and it would be better if the bucks retired it take that to the bank brohans

And regarding all this Ja stuff I wanna post a clip from Twitter for those who haven't seen it.

Carmelo telling the story of a man-to-man convo he had with David Stern early in his career that I found absolutely fascinating to think about...
He is actually a fairly good analog to where Ja is currently. Similar status as a player and some similar just simply dumb decisions. That era of Nuggets team was full of guys that had some interesting off court stuff that weren't necessarily bad guys but had some serious red flags (JR Smith, Marcus Camby, Kenyon Martin, Iverson, Julius Hodge, Chris Anderson) that probably weren't helping Melo make the right decisions.

Part of the reason I think the NBA might be a little heavy handed with Ja is they have spent a lot of time/effort/money to rebrand their players to be more marketable to white America. They don't want one of their highest profile players (Ja has the #6 best selling jersey this season) to give those same middle-aged white people flashbacks to the saggy shorts era of the NBA where they start using words like "thug" as replacement for the N-word.

Giddey had his best game of the season last night against the Warriors. Jalen Williams and SGA have sort of dominated the narrative around the Thunder this season, but Giddey has been up and down in a way that had people concerned. Kinda similar to Scottie Barnes, the progression just hasn’t been at the pace that was expected after last year. He’ll be fine long-term but it was nice to see him play well in a game that clearly mattered to OKC. I think the little mini-tank right after the ASB is over, they probably won’t make the play-in, so I’m expecting them to go for it rest of the way.

Jesus FN Christ (last played Jan 2). Guy's been in the league for 4 seasons. Played a total of 114 (!!!!!!!!) regular season games

Zion Williamson (hamstring) is "not close" to returning, per ESPN's Brian Windhorst.​

It has been over two months since Zion suited up for the Pelicans, and it may be a while longer. Previous reports suggested that Zion would miss multiple weeks after the All-Star break, but Windhorst's report makes Zion's chances of helping out fantasy managers this season very slim. Trey Murphy should continue to start for a Pelicans team that is slowly falling out of the playoff picture.

Thug is not a racist term for black people.

It is used for people who embrace, celebrate and at least pretend to engage in a culture of violence, particularly gang violence. This term can be used for any race, including whites, Asians and Hispanics. Unfortunately, a high percentage of people assigned that label are black but that term is hardly exclusive to black people. The principal that correlation is not causation applies here. Just because you see a lot of young black people called thugs doesn't mean that word is racist in itself. I'd call Aaron Hernandez a thug and he was Puerto Rican-Italian. I've called Bill Laimbeer a thug for how he played the game with an intent to injure players. Being a thug has nothing to do with color of skin.

Sorry, just because people don't like being called something doesn't mean we redefine the word to make it taboo. At least we shouldn't do that.

By definition, it's not a racist term, but it has absolutely become a stand-in for a different word.

And as a society we constantly redefine words to make them taboo. This isn't a new development in our language. Once the connotation changes, we often abandon the use of that word.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread