What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2022 Las Vegas Raiders (1 Viewer)

I guess I can buy that McDaniels would be dictating the passes before hand if he thinks it would be helpful in getting the Offense on the same page as they learn a new scheme. But man, that's pretty dumb to do if it is really restricted to a high level of degree. Talk about wasting the talent of the players on the field, even more so with the combination of Carr and Adams.

I guess I can buy that McDaniels would be dictating the passes before hand if he thinks it would be helpful in getting the Offense on the same page as they learn a new scheme. But man, that's pretty dumb to do if it is really restricted to a high level of degree. Talk about wasting the talent of the players on the field, even more so with the combination of Carr and Adams.
It is curious to me in so many ways. Carr has shown the ability to read defenses, adjust and call audibles. Gruden's system wasn't exactly a simple system either.
I need to catch the replay so I only caught the end of the 4th and OT. It seemed to me like Carr made a couple of audibles.... so how does that match up to this report?

If there is one thing I know about this team is that McDaniels knows offense... I am confident they will figure it out.

My biggest fear outside of the Oline was the age of our big add to defense in Jones. When you add someone at his age there is always a significant chance that their play will drop off significantly. Reports from the dual practices of Maxx and Chandler dominating things made me feel like that fear was not warranted but these two games makes it look like that is going to be a huge issue. He hasn't been a factor. I realize that when I was watching, the defense has played like 1,425 snaps in a row but he visibly had nothing in the tank. My biggest gripe was why would you have him in at that point? Take him out. A fresh pair of legs is better to chase around a quick midget than an old man that can't breathe. You know Maxx will still be giving it his all and being a force but give the old man a break. I would have much rather seen Cle, Bower or Koonce out there. I realize he was the big acquisition and he has the big name but he is also like 54 years old and hasn't looked fresh even when he was fresh.

My biggest fear outside of the Oline was the age of our big add to defense in Jones. When you add someone at his age there is always a significant chance that their play will drop off significantly. Reports from the dual practices of Maxx and Chandler dominating things made me feel like that fear was not warranted but these two games makes it look like that is going to be a huge issue. He hasn't been a factor. I realize that when I was watching, the defense has played like 1,425 snaps in a row but he visibly had nothing in the tank. My biggest gripe was why would you have him in at that point? Take him out. A fresh pair of legs is better to chase around a quick midget than an old man that can't breathe. You know Maxx will still be giving it his all and being a force but give the old man a break. I would have much rather seen Cle, Bower or Koonce out there. I realize he was the big acquisition and he has the big name but he is also like 54 years old and hasn't looked fresh even when he was fresh.
I think Maxx was double or triple teamed on 157 plays and no one really stepped up to take advantage.

I like Roc Ya Sin, he seems like a good player but Maxx misses Yannick. There had to be a better rush end option in free agency than Jones. Didn't like it at the time, may like it a bit if he has another multi sack game in him (or even a one sack game in him) but those games are few and far between at this stage of his career.

Since 2020 5 sacks in one game and 6.5 sacks in 21 other games. They will be lucky to even get the 4.6 sack pace the latter #s represent RoS.

Not from a Fantasy POV but...up 20, you have a nuclear weapon at WR, defenses do not fear Renfrow, I'm sorry. I like Hunter and he needs to be a part of the offense to balance things out but you have a nuclear weapon and he got 2 catches all day vs a questionable defense.

McDaniels or Carr, who is to blame on this?

This is very interesting in many ways...

Josh McDaniels controlling Derek Carr’s passes?​

September 18, 2022
by Steve DelVecchio

Derek Carr did not play particularly well in the Las Vegas Raiders’ loss to the Los Angeles Chargers last week, but Josh McDaniels may have been more to blame for that than you would think.

Vic Tafur of The Athletic said this week that one of the biggest adjustments Carr has had to make under McDaniels is not having the freedom to read defenses and changes plays at the line of scrimmage, which the quarterback did under Jon Gruden. As Tafur describes it, Carr’s passes are going where McDaniels wants them to go at the moment.

Carr admitted as much this week when reflecting on his performance against the Chargers in Week 1.

“There were decisions I made in the game last week that happened before the ball was snapped,” Carr said. “I already knew where the ball was going, and we threw it there, we moved on. Whether it’s a touchdown, complete — whatever, it didn’t matter. You just move on to the next one.”

Carr went 22/37 for 295 yards, two touchdowns and three interceptions in the 24-19 loss. While he still went through progressions like any other quarterback, Tafur says McDaniels has designed the offense in a way where Carr’s “options are pretty cut and dried,” at least for now.

Carr has had nothing but positive things to say about McDaniels. He doesn’t seem to mind that he has to earn McDaniels’ trust, but there will certainly be questions about the head coach’s approach if the Raiders don’t look a lot better against the Arizona Cardinals on Sunday.
if true, this makes me cringe. you gotta let Carr have some freedom. it's not like Carr is a rookie. to me, this points towards what you were afraid of when McD was announced. arrogance

Not from a Fantasy POV but...up 20, you have a nuclear weapon at WR, defenses do not fear Renfrow, I'm sorry. I like Hunter and he needs to be a part of the offense to balance things out but you have a nuclear weapon and he got 2 catches all day vs a questionable defense.

Can't it be both?
That's why I listed both of them and agree with you

September 18, 2022
by Steve DelVecchio

Derek Carr did not play particularly well in the Las Vegas Raiders’ loss to the Los Angeles Chargers last week, but Josh McDaniels may have been more to blame for that than you would think.

Vic Tafur of The Athletic said this week that one of the biggest adjustments Carr has had to make under McDaniels is not having the freedom to read defenses and changes plays at the line of scrimmage, which the quarterback did under Jon Gruden. As Tafur describes it, Carr’s passes are going where McDaniels wants them to go at the moment.

Carr admitted as much this week when reflecting on his performance against the Chargers in Week 1.

“There were decisions I made in the game last week that happened before the ball was snapped,” Carr said. “I already knew where the ball was going, and we threw it there, we moved on. Whether it’s a touchdown, complete — whatever, it didn’t matter. You just move on to the next one.”

Carr went 22/37 for 295 yards, two touchdowns and three interceptions in the 24-19 loss. While he still went through progressions like any other quarterback, Tafur says McDaniels has designed the offense in a way where Carr’s “options are pretty cut and dried,” at least for now.

Carr has had nothing but positive things to say about McDaniels. He doesn’t seem to mind that he has to earn McDaniels’ trust, but there will certainly be questions about the head coach’s approach if the Raiders don’t look a lot better against the Arizona Cardinals on Sunday.
Seemed like Carr had freedom yesterday to change plays. I can recall at least two plays on the final drive in OT that he changed the play at the line.

I IDid DC and the offense forget they had a game to finish after halftime? Monumental choke job fellas. Been a pleasure venting and talking Raiders with you gentlemen. But enough is enough for me. I can’t take this seriously anymore. I can’t sit through another mediocre season. I’m too old for this stuff. The defense did the best they could, it will take Carr another 2 years to learn this offense. It’s 2018 all over again
So glad I skipped the game and got a workout in and did yard work. I thought LV would be good and finish 3rd in the AFC W in a tight race. It’s not looking real good at the moment. Looks like this year may get away from the team before they pull it together. I have faith they will pull it together but the learning curve and lack of talent at some positions due to poor personnel moves over the last few years is too much to overcome now.
100% I will say despite what happened the defense played admirably and Graham’s scheme is a refreshing change. But McDaniels offense and the Oline will not be ready this season. DC is a great dude and worth rooting for, but now I personally see why Murray can demand a contract like he did, and Carr takes a discount contracts
still can't process that game. I left for work at halftime. I watched the rest when I got home. I still can't process WtF happened.

McD apparently hates the run game. he should embrace it more.
Not running the ball more was a huge mistake. Jacobs is a good RB. Feed him.

September 18, 2022
by Steve DelVecchio

if true, this makes me cringe. you gotta let Carr have some freedom. it's not like Carr is a rookie. to me, this points towards what you were afraid of when McD was announced. arrogance
Does anyone believe that Brady wasnt allowed to audible at the line and change the play called ? :laugh: THAT would be the day

Likely McDaniels? Just a hunch though. Adams was doubled all game and they did a good job of actually covering him (hence 7 targets... and 2 catches!)

In my mind, its the rest of the offense that needs to open up. No one fears the run game (is that McDaniels or the OL?) and who's a threat outside of Waller? And Carr really has done a poor job of connecting with a frequently open Waller.

I think if he opens up Waller, or a second WR becomes a threat, or they get a running game, then Adams goes off. But it becomes hard when there's "2" to your 1-2 punch. It's just odd to me, they have enough talent but everything has been painfully hard.

September 18, 2022
by Steve DelVecchio

Does anyone believe that Brady wasnt allowed to audible at the line and change the play called ? :laugh: THAT would be the day
Tafur is a pretty good source but it doesn't sound right.... plus, it appeared Carr was making audibles at the line so I don't know.

I am not worried about the offense. I seem to remember NE having a tendency to starting slow like on a yearly basis even with Brady. We saw what it can be in the first half of the Cards game. There is enough 'good' we have seen to be optimistic.

But that defense... if Jones is spent and is not a factor this season that takes us from a legit contender to a bubble playoff team. I only saw the end to the 4th and the OT game along with game 1 but in what I have seen, I saw no reason to think Jones is going to be a difference maker. Not having a real pass rusher opposite of Crosby will just not be enough to compete against the best teams and put us in a position to lose games we should win like the Cards game.

I never would’ve guessed in a million years that Renfrow would have TWO fumbles in a game, and one that cost us the game in OT. Craziness

September 18, 2022
by Steve DelVecchio

Does anyone believe the Carr = Brady? If not, what is the point of the question?

September 18, 2022
by Steve DelVecchio

Does anyone believe the Carr = Brady? If not, what is the point of the question?

Eh, his point that Carr has experience with and is more than capable of making audibles is WAY more relevant than your 'gotcha' that Carr isn't Brady.

Raiders have traded for OT Justin Hurron from the Patriots. Flipping a 6th rounder for a 7th rounder in exchange. 2 years left on his rookie contract, and clearly known by the new regime in LV.

Patriots: C+​

This isn't exactly an earth-shattering move and the Patriots are pretty deep at offensive tackle. On top of starters Trent Brown and Isaiah Wynn, the club has Yodny Cajuste as the main swing tackle on the active roster. Marcus Cannon, Kody Russey, and Bill Murray are also a trio of offensive linemen currently on the practice squad. With that in mind, they move up a round on Day 3 of the 2024 draft while not eating away too much at their depth.

This move also frees up a roster spot that will likely be used for defensive tackle Daniel Ekuale, who is eligible to return from his two-game suspension.

Raiders: B-​

As for the Raiders, they receive a developmental tackle that the coaching staff and front office are extremely familiar with thanks to their ties to New England. Not only is McDaniels now in Las Vegas, but he also brought offensive line coach Carmen Bricillo with him. Bricillo held that same title during his final season on Bill Belichick's staff and has worked with Herron throughout his entire career. So, they know exactly what kind of player they are getting in this trade, while also not losing too much in terms of draft capital as late Day 3 picks are largely a dart throw anyways.

Herron also has two more years left on his rookie contract, so they'll be able to bring him along for quite a while.

Raiders' Justin Herron: Headed to Raiders after trade​

Rotowire 2 HRS AGO
New England traded Herron along with a 2024 seventh-round pick to Las Vegas on Wednesday in exchange for a 2024 sixth-round pick, Mike Reiss of ESPN.com reports.
The 2020 sixth-rounder out of Wake Forest made his way back onto the Patriots' 53-man roster in a depth capacity ahead of the 2022 season, but the Raiders, who have one of the league's worst offensive lines, saw fit to trade for him after they saw Derek Carr sacked seven times over the first two weeks of the new campaign. It's not immediately clear where Herron fits in Las Vegas' offense -- at 6-foot-5, 305 lbs. with 33.5-inch arms, he's very small for a tackle -- but the Raiders can use all the help they can get at the offensive point of attack.

NFL Draft Profile from two years ago... Hopefully a couple years of NFL eating/lifting have improved his strength issues.
Player Bio

Herron was a stalwart on the Demon Deacons' offensive line for three seasons, but a torn left ACL suffered in the 2018 opener ended his campaign. He returned as a starter and team captain in 2019, earning a Senior Bowl invite. He started all 12 games at right tackle as a redshirt freshman and then lined up as the team's left tackle in 12 of 13 games during the 2016 season. The former Bullis High School three-sport star (and trumpet player in the jazz band) became an All-ACC player as a junior, earning third-team honors.
Overview
Herron is flexible and athletic with the foot quickness to compete in a camp as a zone-blocking guard. However, he's often in a state of flux and having to fight for survival due to suspect hand usage and body control. He may not have enough play strength to withstand NFL defensive tackles in one-on-one situations, but he does have intriguing athletic traits and may be looked at as a developmental prospect.
Strengths
  • Athletic bloodlines with father/uncles who were college hoopers
  • Plays with loose hips and plus agility
  • Sweet feet to jump rushers quickly or mirror with patience
  • Very little hesitation to transition and slide back inside for counters
  • Might have athleticism to do more than is asked of him
  • Gives ground to get ground on tough backside run angles
  • Gets to second-level block with proper pad level
  • Adequate reactive movement for adjustments in space or recoveries
Weaknesses
  • Accuracy and placement of his hands is problematic
  • Fails to consistently land inside hands and strike point runs high
  • Opponents get into his frame too easily
  • Suspect core strength to stay connected to in-line blocks
  • Lacks redirect power to rock edge pressures off their path
  • Below-average body control forced him into scramble mode frequently
  • Benefited from plenty of backside squeeze to wall-off block
  • Needs to improve overall play strength

Patriots: C+​

This isn't exactly an earth-shattering move and the Patriots are pretty deep at offensive tackle. On top of starters Trent Brown and Isaiah Wynn, the club has Yodny Cajuste as the main swing tackle on the active roster. Marcus Cannon, Kody Russey, and Bill Murray are also a trio of offensive linemen currently on the practice squad. With that in mind, they move up a round on Day 3 of the 2024 draft while not eating away too much at their depth.

This move also frees up a roster spot that will likely be used for defensive tackle Daniel Ekuale, who is eligible to return from his two-game suspension.

Raiders: B-​

As for the Raiders, they receive a developmental tackle that the coaching staff and front office are extremely familiar with thanks to their ties to New England. Not only is McDaniels now in Las Vegas, but he also brought offensive line coach Carmen Bricillo with him. Bricillo held that same title during his final season on Bill Belichick's staff and has worked with Herron throughout his entire career. So, they know exactly what kind of player they are getting in this trade, while also not losing too much in terms of draft capital as late Day 3 picks are largely a dart throw anyways.

Herron also has two more years left on his rookie contract, so they'll be able to bring him along for quite a while.

Raiders' Justin Herron: Headed to Raiders after trade​

Rotowire 2 HRS AGO
New England traded Herron along with a 2024 seventh-round pick to Las Vegas on Wednesday in exchange for a 2024 sixth-round pick, Mike Reiss of ESPN.com reports.
The 2020 sixth-rounder out of Wake Forest made his way back onto the Patriots' 53-man roster in a depth capacity ahead of the 2022 season, but the Raiders, who have one of the league's worst offensive lines, saw fit to trade for him after they saw Derek Carr sacked seven times over the first two weeks of the new campaign. It's not immediately clear where Herron fits in Las Vegas' offense -- at 6-foot-5, 305 lbs. with 33.5-inch arms, he's very small for a tackle -- but the Raiders can use all the help they can get at the offensive point of attack.

NFL Draft Profile from two years ago... Hopefully a couple years of NFL eating/lifting have improved his strength issues.
Player Bio

Herron was a stalwart on the Demon Deacons' offensive line for three seasons, but a torn left ACL suffered in the 2018 opener ended his campaign. He returned as a starter and team captain in 2019, earning a Senior Bowl invite. He started all 12 games at right tackle as a redshirt freshman and then lined up as the team's left tackle in 12 of 13 games during the 2016 season. The former Bullis High School three-sport star (and trumpet player in the jazz band) became an All-ACC player as a junior, earning third-team honors.
Overview
Herron is flexible and athletic with the foot quickness to compete in a camp as a zone-blocking guard. However, he's often in a state of flux and having to fight for survival due to suspect hand usage and body control. He may not have enough play strength to withstand NFL defensive tackles in one-on-one situations, but he does have intriguing athletic traits and may be looked at as a developmental prospect.
Strengths
  • Athletic bloodlines with father/uncles who were college hoopers
  • Plays with loose hips and plus agility
  • Sweet feet to jump rushers quickly or mirror with patience
  • Very little hesitation to transition and slide back inside for counters
  • Might have athleticism to do more than is asked of him
  • Gives ground to get ground on tough backside run angles
  • Gets to second-level block with proper pad level
  • Adequate reactive movement for adjustments in space or recoveries
Weaknesses
  • Accuracy and placement of his hands is problematic
  • Fails to consistently land inside hands and strike point runs high
  • Opponents get into his frame too easily
  • Suspect core strength to stay connected to in-line blocks
  • Lacks redirect power to rock edge pressures off their path
  • Below-average body control forced him into scramble mode frequently
  • Benefited from plenty of backside squeeze to wall-off block
  • Needs to improve overall play strength
I am all for it. I have no idea about him but our staff knows him. We didn't give up much and honestly, just having more bodies makes me more comfortable as we were light on just body count let alone quality. With us just dropping to the 7th from the 6th, let's give it a go.

It has been a head scratcher for most of us on lack of movement with the line. Hopefully he provides stability on the right side. Both Munford and Elemanuer have not fared well and I saw that the line is graded out as 31st in the NFL after two games.

I am all for it. I have no idea about him but our staff knows him. We didn't give up much and honestly, just having more bodies makes me more comfortable as we were light on just body count let alone quality. With us just dropping to the 7th from the 6th, let's give it a go.

It has been a head scratcher for most of us on lack of movement with the line. Hopefully he provides stability on the right side. Both Munford and Elemanuer have not fared well and I saw that the line is graded out as 31st in the NFL after two games.

At least we're not last.

At least we're not last.
Commitment to Excellence has turned into At Least We Aren't Last

C James, WR Renfrow, DT Nicols, LB Perryman, and S Moehrig all missed practice today. Tomorrow's practice will be big if seeing if we get any of them back for Sunday

C James, WR Renfrow, DT Nicols, LB Perryman, and S Moehrig all missed practice today. Tomorrow's practice will be big if seeing if we get any of them back for Sunday
Renfrow is in concussion protocol. Unlikely to have him back I would think. Hopefully James clears it this week.

Never got any real info on Perryman or Moehrigs injuries.

No idea what is going on with Nichols.

Carlson has been money, especially if you get more points for long FGs. If Renfrow doesn't fumble, he would've had another attempt.

James returned to practice today.
Renfrow, Perryman and Moehrig were out.
Did not see an update on Nicols, either way.

Was just musing over in the Kareem Hunt thread and it dawned on me that Hunt is perhaps Jacobs best comp in the league. Both of them need to be in bellcow roles before their teeth get too long.

Gotta be honest, I'm still not over it. Last week was one of the most difficult losses I can remember from the last decade. I honestly can't think of a game I was more vested in watching that hurt more to lose.

I don't know that I can watch them again this season.

I'm considering becoming a Lions fan. Think about that. Choosing to root for the Lions because it hurts to much to root for the Raiders.

Never been a McDaniels fan.- He is not a players coach, and failed previously, predict will be fired by game #9. Solely benefited by Belichik's influence - cannot be trusted alone. Can you say Eric Bieniemy- enjoy Vegas.

Never been a McDaniels fan.- He is not a players coach, and failed previously, predict will be fired by game #9. Solely benefited by Belichik's influence - cannot be trusted alone. Can you say Eric Bieniemy- enjoy Vegas.
No way. McDaniels deserves to be here for two years and Davis will give him a fair shot. Let’s see if he can build a team.

Gotta be honest, I'm still not over it. Last week was one of the most difficult losses I can remember from the last decade. I honestly can't think of a game I was more vested in watching that hurt more to lose.

I'm considering becoming a Lions fan. Think about that. Choosing to root for the Lions because it hurts to much to root for the Raiders.
The Browns have always been my second team but after Watson, I can’t root for them. My brother is an Eagles fan so I pay attention to them more than any other team after the Raiders. Hurts is fun to watch too. I can’t just become a full-blown Philly fan and quit the Raiders though. I’m also not giving up on the Raiders now that Gruden is gone. There is lots to fix after that debacle and it’s going to take a couple of years to right the ship.

What pains me is seeing Mack and Cooper continue to have solid careers after Gruden gave them away for nothing in return.

The Browns have always been my second team but after Watson, I can’t root for them. My brother is an Eagles fan so I pay attention to them more than any other team after the Raiders. Hurts is fun to watch too. I can’t just become a full-blown Philly fan and quit the Raiders though. I’m also not giving up on the Raiders now that Gruden is gone. There is lots to fix after that debacle and it’s going to take a couple of years to right the ship.

What pains me is seeing Mack and Cooper continue to have solid careers after Gruden gave them away for nothing in return.
I'm always going to be a Raider fan of course but this just hurts. It's my own fault really. I am happy they signed McDaniels, Graham, Ziegler etc. Thrilled they brought in Davante. My problem is even with the signings I knew this was still not going to be a competitive roster in 2022. The team is simply too thin at too many positions to go up against the likes of the Chargers and Chiefs (let alone the Bills). I should have kept my expectations but as we got closer to week one I started to buy into the hype even though I knew I shouldn't have. There is no shame in losing to the Bolts, they are a very good team but Arizona? No. I let myself be caught off guard for that one.

TRIGGER WARNING!!!:
Honestly, I blame @Chadstroma way to go Chad, you crushed my soul before week 3. Hope your happy.

Hope is a fragile thing. last week was truly awful.

I saw this team getting around 8 wins. They **** the bed with the OL. Bad. And so far, mcD isn’t overwhelming me with his play calling. We’ll see. But anything is better than Gruden.

Five reasons for optimism, and pessimism, after Raiders’ slow start​

Raiders can’t afford another loss when they travel to play Titans on Sunday​

By Case Keefer (contact)
Friday, Sept. 23, 2022 | 2 a.m.

No one with the Raiders is panicking.

The franchise’s most anticipated season in recent memory hasn’t gotten off to the start they anticipated with back-to-back-losses, but there are 15 games left to play and ample opportunities to make a push for the playoffs.

“I think it's important for us to be consistent and try to learn from the things we haven't done well,” Raiders coach Josh McDaniels said. “Whether we won or lost, there's going to be a lot of lessons to learn. Nobody plays a perfect football game, that's almost impossible to think of. We have the same urgency that we've had. We know what we have to do better and what we're trying to accomplish here.”

Not everyone is as calm and collected as McDaniels, especially after witnessing the biggest blown lead in the history of the franchise (20-0) in last week’s 29-23 loss to the Cardinals at Allegiant Stadium. Fans are despondent and even star receiver Davante Adams admitted to “all different levels of frustration.”

“We’ve got to figure it out, and the urgency is definitely there right now,” Adams said. “There’s a lot that went into why we didn’t win that football game this past week.”
The Raiders will need to figure it out in time for their Week 3 kickoff at 10 a.m. Sunday on the road against the Tennessee Titans. The big question is if they’ll be able to pull it off, so let’s investigate.

Here are five reasons to be hopeful for the Raiders’ chances, and five reasons why not to be, as a way to take inventory of where the team stands through two weeks.

Reason for Optimism:
The AFC West might not be quite as daunting as advertised anymore.
The Chiefs might be slightly better expected so far — showing little to no ill effects out of losing star receiver Tyreek Hill in a 2-0 start — but the Broncos are unquestionably worse. The Raiders would almost surely be 2-0 if they started with the Broncos’ schedule. The Chargers are also formidable, but the Raiders played them close in a 24-19 Week 1 loss despite a -3 turnover margin and Los Angeles is now dealing with a rib cartilage injury to quarterback Justin Herbert that may linger all season.

Reason for Pessimism: The injuries are already piling up.
Las Vegas is shorthanded going into Week 3, especially on defense. They’ve lost four starters in cornerback Anthony Averett (who’s on injured reserve with a thumb injury), defensive tackle Bilal Nichols (shoulder), linebacker Denzel Perryman (ankle) and safety Tre’von Moehrig (hip). McDaniels praised the Raiders’ depth going into the season, and now it’s time to find out whether those were hollow words or not.

Reason for Optimism: Both quarterback Derek Carr and coach Josh McDaniels promise they’re already “very comfortable” with each other.
That’s the company line at practice this week, and they do have some evidence to back it up. Carr was electric and looked right at home in a 20-0 first half against the Cardinals last week, and also settled in nicely for several drives against the Chargers. He hasn’t put it together for four quarters in the same game yet this season, but there’s no loss of confidence from either coach/playcaller or quarterback that such sustained success is coming.

Reason for Pessimism: It sure doesn’t look like Carr is fully comfortable in McDaniels’ offense yet.
With the aforementioned exceptions, Carr doesn’t appear to be playing as freely and aggressively as he did at his best during winning stretches the last two seasons. He’s looked too mechanical, hesitant even as he’s tried to execute an offense that’s still new to him. There’s precedent to Carr struggling in a complex, foreign offense. Perhaps his worst season since his rookie year came in 2018 when Jon Gruden first took over the franchise. It’s not a perfect parallel because the Raiders have far more talent around him now, but there’s no disputing it sometimes takes quarterbacks extra time to adjust to new systems.

Reason for Optimism: Maxx Crosby continues to play like one of the best defensive players in the league.
The fourth-year edge rusher is right back at the top of the league in pressures where he spent all last season. He ranked third in the NFL with 12 pressures — behind only Myles Garrett and Micah Parsons with 13 apiece – through two weeks according to Pro Football Focus. He’s the undisputed leader of a defense that was respectable a year ago under coordinator Gus Bradley and now could take a leap and become one of the better in the league with coordinator Patrick Graham’s direction.

Reason for Pessimism: Maxx Crosby has only one sack.
The expectation coming into the year was that Crosby’s gaudy pressure numbers from last year (he had 107 total) would start to translate into more sacks (he had 11 last year) this season. That hasn’t happened yet. He brought down Kyler Murray once early in the loss to the Cardinals, but saw the quarterback slip out of his arms or hands on multiple other occasions. A pair of those near-sacks could have all but ended the game and secured victory for the Raiders. Crosby is playing too well not to get paid off for his pass-rushing success sooner or later, but it must be a frustrating trend for him to keep pushing that expectation back.

Reason for Optimism: Raiders may have hit on offseason trade acquisition Rock Ya-Sin at cornerback.
The former Indianapolis Colt cornerback — acquired in a swap for edge rusher Yannick Ngakoue — played every single snap of the Cardinals’ loss, and largely made the most of them. He led the league in Week 2 with three passes defensed, and allowed only one reception for 10 yards on six pass attempts thrown his way, per Pro Football Reference. It’s possible the Raiders acquired the 26-year old Ya-Sin at the perfect time, right as he enters his prime.

Reason for Pessimism: Raiders may have missed on offseason free-agent acquisition Chandler Jones at edge rusher.
It’s possible the Raiders acquired the 32-year-old Jones at an inopportune time, right as the 11-year veteran hits the downside of his career. It’s too early to say definitively, but Jones hasn’t made much of a difference through two weeks. He’s logged four pressures and no sacks. There’s still time to turn it around, but the longer Jones goes without tapping into the skills that have made him an All-Pro in the past, the more his three-year, $51 million deal begins to look like a risky investment.

Reason for Optimism: Las Vegas was in a much more dire situation last year and still navigated its way into the playoffs.
Sitting at 6-7 on the season after a 48-9 blowout loss to the Chiefs last December, the Raiders had below a 5% chance to reach the postseason according to all publicly available projection models. Las Vegas then of course reeled off four straight wins to earn a playoff game at Cincinnati. Even the most pessimistic systems still have Las Vegas around 25% to make the playoffs this year. There are a lot of games left; Las Vegas has fought back from worse.

Reason for Pessimism: It’s rare for a team to bounce back from an 0-2 start to reach the playoffs.
The NFL’s expanded 14-team playoff presumably makes it easier to rebound from an 0-2 start to get into the postseason, but it hasn’t happened yet. No team that started 0-2 in the last two years under the current format reached the postseason. Going back the last 20 years, only 9.6% of teams that started 0-2 reached the playoffs according to ESPN. The playoff rate falls all the way to 1% with an 0-3 start, speaking to the importance of Sunday’s game. The best thing the Raiders can do to provide their fanbase with optimism, and kill off the pessimism, is win at Tennessee.

Unless a Nate Hackett situation starts cropping up in Las Vegas I won't complain about McDaniels this season. It's a matter of expectations and the realistic expectation is to keep installing the system and filling the locker room with more talent and depth. And to stop signing fossils who can no longer compete to perform key roles. Wins and losses be damned this year.

Users who are viewing this thread