What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2022 Las Vegas Raiders (1 Viewer)

FA QBs aside, how y’all feeling about Will Levis?
Considering that I had to google him….not great. Especially not in the 1st
Yup.
Not good. I see a lot of Josh Allen comparisons and I watched several Kentucky games this year and I don't see it at all.
It's a fine line between Josh Allen and Jay Cutler (or, God forbid, Zach Wilson).

They probably won't keep Carr (we thought the same about Garoppolo last year) so I hope they sign Garoppolo, keep Stidham, and they go draft a big ugly in the middle of the d-line.
Carr released a really nice statement saying goodbye and thanking everyone.

Really? I didn't hear Chad's name mentioned.

Yup.
Not good. I see a lot of Josh Allen comparisons and I watched several Kentucky games this year and I don't see it at all.
It's a fine line between Josh Allen and Jay Cutler (or, God forbid, Zach Wilson).

They probably won't keep Carr (we thought the same about Garoppolo last year) so I hope they sign Garoppolo, keep Stidham, and they go draft a big ugly in the middle of the d-line.

I bet he cried when he typed that post.

Do you guys remember that post from the guy coming in (not a regular) and saying Jacobs was an average RB? :lmao:
Didn’t he say Jacobs and Akers were essentially the same RB? 😂
Yup. The whole argument was based on some obscure "next gen stat" that I never heard of before. End the year and he ends up top rusher in the league on a 6-11 team with a less the good offensive line and the top PFF rated rusher. :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

I searched for it but could not find it.

Just too funny.

Yup.

Sunuva.... that is the thanks I get? Ignored?! Trade the SOB!

Yup.

Does it count that I cried reading it?

Yup.

Does it count that I cried reading it?
That’s just because he didn’t thank you personally for all the years of support

Yup.

Carr = Class act

Yup.

Carr = Class act
Carr has always been a class act and is so easy to be a fan. I have a horrible feeling we are going appreciate and miss Carr more as each year passes. We are entering the most challenging time for most organizations and that is trying to find a top 10 QB. I still think that if the plan is to move on from Carr that moving on from other vets that can provide draft capital is the way to go. Rebuild. Don’t try to reload with so many missing pieces.

Yup.

Carr = Class act
Carr has always been a class act and is so easy to be a fan. I have a horrible feeling we are going appreciate and miss Carr more as each year passes. We are entering the most challenging time for most organizations and that is trying to find a top 10 QB. I still think that if the plan is to move on from Carr that moving on from other vets that can provide draft capital is the way to go. Rebuild. Don’t try to reload with so many missing pieces.
I agree.

He wasn’t Peyton Manning, but he’s better than many of the options out there.

It’ll be interesting to see what LVR does. I am skeptical they roll with Stidham.

Yup.

Carr = Class act
I agree.

He wasn’t Peyton Manning, but he’s better than many of the options out there.

It’ll be interesting to see what LVR does. I am skeptical they roll with Stidham.
Stidham is a one year stop gap at best and a good way to lose games to obtain draft capital during a rebuild.

Derek Carr has had 3 seasons with 4,000 Pass Yards and 10 or fewer INT

These are the only QBs in NFL history with more

Aaron Rodgers (9)
Tom Brady (7)
Peyton Manning (4)

Aaron Rodgers (9)
Tom Brady (7)
Peyton Manning (4)
In the last 9 years, Derek carr leads the league in losses.
defensive ranks since Derek Carr's first season in 2014
Rank
Points per Game 32nd
Yards per Play 30th
Sacks 32nd
Interceptions 32nd
Rush Touchdowns 31st
Pass Touchdowns 31st
4th Down Conv % 31st

hhmmnn... I wonder which one is more likely to be cause and which correlation.

Carr is not a tide that raises all boats like other elite QB's....GREAT guy.....great guy....I like him a ton as a person.....but he just doesn't put you over the top when you need it....like the top shelf guys do....he won't go somewhere and be the missing piece that gets you "over the top"....he's an upgrade to many teams, but not THE difference maker for your franchise.....kinda where R. Wilson is at...

I agree, great guy and I love how committed he has been to this team but the reality is that the reason why I have been so passionate about supporting him is that I fear the same. It is so hard to find a decent QB. Carr has been- through various HC/OC's and systems, a top 12 QB. Some years better and some years not so much. The disappointment of this year was expectations. Bringing Adams on board and McD seen as a great offensive mind and play caller along with Waller and Renfrow with a great RB to keep an effective ground game and then he has one of his lesser years. Was it getting use to the new system? Was it not a good fit for the system? Was it not having Waller and Renfrow for most of the year? Was is subpar Oline play? Was it poor gameplanning/playcalling? Most likely a little of all of that I guess. The one thing it wasn't was the poor defense. Yes, the poor defenses have been the reason why we have sucked the last 9 years but you can't blame the defense for the lower level of play this year. So, I get it. I understand. I said before this year it was his make or break year that there would be no where to hide- whether deservingly or no, if he did not flourish this year. I think we will get phone calls from several teams. I think Carr will be looking for a team he can win with. He may end up vetoing a trade that gets the Raiders a better off from say a Texans kind of team and push his trade to a team like the Jets. Depending on the team, he could have great success and if chances roll like they normally do in trying to find a QB- we will watch that and wonder what would have happened if we kept him.

So, what do we do? Bring in a vet? Draft a rookie? Both? I dunno. I don't get excited about pretty much any vet that people talk about. Brady is too old. Jimmy G and Brissett are back up QB quality. Stidham looks to be a quality backup system guy. Draft a guy? Chances are we get that wrong. I fear what we will enter in and not just for next year but man... I don't want to live through another decade of a ever changing QB room of guys like Mirer, Tuiasosopo, Walter, Brooks, McCown, Russell, Culpepper, Gradkowski, Frye, Campbell, Boller, Palmer, Pryor, McGloin and Flynn before we get another QB that is good and we have for more than a rental.

Here is a thought though. I am on record as not wanting any part of Brady but let's say we went and got him. First point, he has a way of swaying players to come and play with his team. Does that attract some vets at bargain prices on top of no income tax Nevada? Let's say he signs for the $11 million TB is paying him now. We get a trade for Carr and then go on spending spree and bring in a lot of guys that fill the holes. McD actually doesn't suck and just needed a year to get the system in etc. Wouldn't there be a kind of poetry for Brady to come to Vegas and win a SB to end his career? Starting his career with a BS call that launched a dynasty and ending it with that same team.

Here is a thought though. I am on record as not wanting any part of Brady but let's say we went and got him. First point, he has a way of swaying players to come and play with his team. Does that attract some vets at bargain prices on top of no income tax Nevada? Let's say he signs for the $11 million TB is paying him now. We get a trade for Carr and then go on spending spree and bring in a lot of guys that fill the holes. McD actually doesn't suck and just needed a year to get the system in etc. Wouldn't there be a kind of poetry for Brady to come to Vegas and win a SB to end his career? Starting his career with a BS call that launched a dynasty and ending it with that same team.
Brady seems like he was kind of unpleasant to play with this year.

I dunno - maybe it was frustration with Leftwich more than his teammates, but he sure did dress down some of his receivers on the sidelines this year.

What am I missing? It sounds as though everyone just assumes the Raiders are going to able to trade Carr. Isn’t having to cut him the most likely situation?
There must be a lot of tampering and back room dealing going on, because they basically have 3 days after the Super Bowl to either cut him or pay him $40.4 million.
I know there’s suitors for Carr obviously, but what team wants to carry that contract? And why would a disgruntled Carr want to work with the Raiders and waive his no trade clause and put his new team at a disadvantage by giving up pick(s) to get him.
If it’s truly never been about the money for Carr I’d think it would be wise for him to force the Raiders to cut him then he’s free to go and play where he wants at a contract not as rich as the one now, but I’d bet it would be close or comparable. Am I wrong here?

What am I missing? It sounds as though everyone just assumes the Raiders are going to able to trade Carr. Isn’t having to cut him the most likely situation?
There must be a lot of tampering and back room dealing going on, because they basically have 3 days after the Super Bowl to either cut him or pay him $40.4 million.
I know there’s suitors for Carr obviously, but what team wants to carry that contract? And why would a disgruntled Carr want to work with the Raiders and waive his no trade clause and put his new team at a disadvantage by giving up pick(s) to get him.
If it’s truly never been about the money for Carr I’d think it would be wise for him to force the Raiders to cut him then he’s free to go and play where he wants at a contract not as rich as the one now, but I’d bet it would be close or comparable. Am I wrong here?
You are spot on.

I can't really take issue with anything you said. Could the Raiders not cut him then he's stuck in limbo? That wouldn't seem to be likely. Does he not want to risk taking less money than the current contract? Based on reports he does seem to be working with the Raiders on a trade destination. Are the reports wrong? Lots of questions that I don't have answers to. Why did the Commanders trade picks to the Colts for Wentz when they knew the Colts were moving on from him? The only thing I can say is.....things don't always work out rationally when it comes to QB moves.

Last edited:
I can't really take issue with anything you said. Could the Raiders not cut him then he's stuck in limbo? That wouldn't seem to be likely. Does he not want to risk taking less money than the current contract? Based on reports he does seem to be working with the Raiders on a trade destination. Are the reports wrong? Lots of questions that I don't have answers to. Why did the Commanders trade picks to the Colts for Wentz when they knew the Colts were moving on from him? The only thing I can say is.....things don't always work out rationally when it comes to QB moves.
Wentz had half the cap hit Carr has.

All I know is that no trade clause gives Carr lots of power. If by some miracle they strike a deal, it probably won’t be the best deal for the Raiders because DC has the final say where he wants to go, and every GM knows that. Basically they’ll have to accept the best lowball offer to a destination of Carr’s approval or cut him.

Aaron Rodgers (9)
Tom Brady (7)
Peyton Manning (4)
In the last 9 years, Derek carr leads the league in losses.
defensive ranks since Derek Carr's first season in 2014
Rank
Points per Game 32nd
Yards per Play 30th
Sacks 32nd
Interceptions 32nd
Rush Touchdowns 31st
Pass Touchdowns 31st
4th Down Conv % 31st

hhmmnn... I wonder which one is more likely to be cause and which correlation.
we know. we know. :sigh:

you're not wrong. but money changes people. carr emphatically said he'd rather retire than play for another team. now he has a burning fire to win a championship somewhere else.

the smart thing for any team interested in him, would be to make the raiders cut him and then sign him for 20M or even less. but teams are desperate. just look at the donkeys.

the smart thing for carr to do, is to sign with the raiders and then allow a trade to an approved destination. then he gets his money AND goes to where he wants.

and if anyone thinks that there aren't back room dealings and players recruiting each other etc, they're fooling themselves.

The Athletic's Zak Keefer believes the Colts won't trade for Derek Carr this offseason.​

Keefer has been adamant that the Colts would not once again break the bank for a castoff quarterback in their desperate search for a viable starting signal caller. Carr, who was sent home by the Raiders before Week 17, has a no-trade clause and $40.4 million in guarantees that trigger on February 15, meaning the Raiders would have to deal Carr before that date. The Colts likely won't head into the 2023 season with Matt Ryan under center, but it doesn't seem Carr, 32 in March, will be next up in the depressing Colts quarterback carousel.

The Athletic's Zak Keefer believes the Colts won't trade for Derek Carr this offseason.​

Keefer has been adamant that the Colts would not once again break the bank for a castoff quarterback in their desperate search for a viable starting signal caller. Carr, who was sent home by the Raiders before Week 17, has a no-trade clause and $40.4 million in guarantees that trigger on February 15, meaning the Raiders would have to deal Carr before that date. The Colts likely won't head into the 2023 season with Matt Ryan under center, but it doesn't seem Carr, 32 in March, will be next up in the depressing Colts quarterback carousel.
I don’t think carr would want to play for that crack pot, pill popping owner.

Maybe the Raiders should resign him. Who do they have behind him, Stidham?

After 9 years of working for Mark Davis, it might be refreshing 🤣

One thing you are missing is what tampering is and is not. A team who owns the rights to a player (or coach for that matter) can talk to anyone that want to at any time about that player. That is their right. The Raiders talking to teams now about trading Carr is not tampering. Tampering would be the Raiders going and talking to Brady right now about signing with them as a free agent because he is under contract with another team or Brady coming to the Raiders and saying "Hey, trade me" or "Hey, sign me when I am a FA" because he is under contract with the Bucs. The only way that can happen is if he gets permission from the Bucs to go talk to other teams about making a trade (I have never heard of a team granting permission to talk about FA early).

Another is what David Carr has said, who is the ultimate insider on this, which seemed to indicate strongly that Carr was open to being traded but he just wanted a good situation mentioning the ownership and coaching situation but I am also sure that means having a decent team in place too. This will hurt his trade value as it narrows the list of buyers whom may want to play hard ball hoping that they can sign him on the FA market.... then again, if he goes on the FA market, they may lose out on him and then be stuck going after a guy like Jimmy G as a consolation prize which no team wants to do.

Carr was open to team friendly contract but he also took market rates so he has never gone the Brady route of "my wife makes more than me anyway (well... at least use to) and I get paid a ton from sponsorships, here, pay me far below market value and invest that in the team". I think he will want to keep a market value contract. $40 for what everyone should agree is an above average QB is not a lot in comparison and a number only going to go up.

All the talk about teams waiting for Carr to be cut goes out the window as soon as there are two teams/owners who show interest. Just need one team to up the ante from waiting to making an offer, and boom. Trade.

It's like two hefty guys standing equally away from the last slice of cake at a family dinner. Neither want to admit they want it, but they are certain the other guy wants it. And then before you know it you have a good ol' fashion fisticuff for a slice of chocolate cake.

All the talk about teams waiting for Carr to be cut goes out the window as soon as there are two teams/owners who show interest. Just need one team to up the ante from waiting to making an offer, and boom. Trade.

It's like two hefty guys standing equally away from the last slice of cake at a family dinner. Neither want to admit they want it, but they are certain the other guy wants it. And then before you know it you have a good ol' fashion fisticuff for a slice of chocolate cake.
Mmmmmmm..... Cake.

Not much to argue with here.

I will say that I am not 100% sold on the notion that Carr is disgruntled and, being that he has been such a good guy I wouldn't be 100% shocked if he worked with the Raiders to facilitate a trade. But you made the key point that, regardless of the money, why would Carr hurt his new team by making them forfeit draft capital?

IMO, by far the likeliest outcome is Carr is waived before his contract becomes guaranteed.

However if we play out this brain exercise, under the assumption that Carr will try to force the Raiders to cut him, it now becomes a very high stakes game of chicken.

It is fair to suggest Carr holds all the cards but the Raiders are in a rebuild no matter what so why give away Carr when his cap space will be spent no matter where he is? It's not like the Raiders are just going to pocket $40 mil, and that money saved on Carr will go to mid tier FAs that aren't going to make them suddenly competitive in the West.

So, again I'm talking about high stakes chicken here, give the money to Carr let him know he'll make $40 million to sit on the bench and get his shot at being a FA in 2024. It's easy for us to say we'd take $40 mil to do nothing but that probably isn't how guys like Carr are wired. IMO he wants to be on the field starting at QB somewhere. I doubt he wants to be on television every week sitting on the bench with announcers talking about the awkwardness of the whole situation. In this game of chicken Carr now has to consider how much shine will come off his star after a year of no film and wonder if he's facing the "prove it" contract phase of his career. For the Raiders it gives them a, slightly better alibi to suck for Caleb in 2024.

Again, he'll most likely be off the team before next season but we were all certain about Garoppolo not being a Niner in 2022 too.

Carr’s a QB, and a very competent one at that. This league does crazy, weird stuff to acquire QBs.
That factor alone (and no other stats, or contract status, or guaranteed money, or teams just waiting for him to be cut) makes me believe a trade WILL happen. I’m likely too optimistic though :)

Last edited:
Carr’s a QB, and a very competent one at that. This league does crazy, weird stuff to acquire QBs.
That factor alone (and no other stats, or contract status, or guaranteed money, or teams just waiting for him to be cut) makes me believe a trade WILL happen. I’m likely too optimistic though :)
The Raiders could start the rebuild by trading away Waller and Adams to try force Carr to accept a trade. If Carr still doesn’t want to accept a trade, keep him on the roster and use him as the stop gap QB while addressing the many holes on the team. Draft BPA over and over, including taking a shot at a QB where it makes sense.

The Raiders could start the rebuild by trading away Waller and Adams to try force Carr to accept a trade. If Carr still doesn’t want to accept a trade, keep him on the roster and use him as the stop gap QB while addressing the many holes on the team. Draft BPA over and over, including taking a shot at a QB where it makes sense.
its not the worst idea. I’d hate to lose Adam’s, but he‘ll never be More valuable than right now. Trade Waller regardless. Maybe get a 2nd for him?

its not the worst idea. I’d hate to lose Adam’s, but he‘ll never be More valuable than right now. Trade Waller regardless. Maybe get a 2nd for him?
If they start trading guys like Waller & Adams I hope they also dish #7 this year for 2024 picks so they can load up and get Caleb Williams.

I think what they are going to try to do is go after Brady trying to keep the offense largely intact expect maybe trying to upgrade the right side of the line- then invest heavy on defense through the FA and the draft. I don't think Davis will have the patience to break it down to rebuild. Failing Brady then I do think their fallback will be Jimmy G. I don't want Brady but with Brady at leas there is hope that he can hold off Father time one more year. Jimmy G just sucks.

Let's say they sign Brady. QB is done. Let's say he goes for about $12 million which is what the Bucs have him at now. About $19 million in cap space currently. A pre-june 1 trade of Carr frees up $29 million so $49 (the change adds up to another million roughly). Minus $12 for Brady = $37 in cap space. I don't see any obvious cuts that would generate meaningful cap space.

FA class that they will likely look to resign
Jacobs
Perryman
Hollins
Ya-Sin
Johnson
Harmon
Stidham
Moreau
Eluemunor
Abdullah
Billings
Bower
Farley
Tillery
Restricted FA
Teamer
Horsted
Bolton
Also... likely will not seek to resign
Ferrell
Averett
Parker
Cole
Brown
Rochell
Jenkins
Kiser
Sydney

Jacobs, Perryman and Holllins will cost more than what we had them at this year. If we did, just those three will eat up a chunk of that $39 million.

Looking over the defensive FA class, I didn't see any MUST HAVE guys that would make the impact we need for sure. We have a lot of needs too so we can't chew up all the money in a big FA signing like Jones last year. We will need to go after several players.

There are a lot of twists and turns to shape things up but at this point, I am not optimistic.

NFL Rookie Watch
@NFLRookieWatxh
Raiders GM Dave Ziegler was reportedly “intrigued” by Anthony Richardson throughout this past college football season. The Las Vegas Raiders currently hold the seventh overall pick in the NFL Draft View attachment 3404
Ugh

One year starting experience? Check

Losing record? Check

Low accuracy? Check

Flashy, irrelevant metrics like being able to throw the ball a mile from knees? Check

Yeah, that seems like a very Raiders reach. Guess we'll find out if the ghost Al Davis is still calling the shots.

NFL Rookie Watch
@NFLRookieWatxh
Raiders GM Dave Ziegler was reportedly “intrigued” by Anthony Richardson throughout this past college football season. The Las Vegas Raiders currently hold the seventh overall pick in the NFL Draft View attachment 3404
Ugh

One year starting experience? Check

Losing record? Check

Low accuracy? Check

Flashy, irrelevant metrics like being able to throw the ball a mile from knees? Check

Yeah, that seems like a very Raiders reach. Guess we'll find out if the ghost Al Davis is still calling the shots.

Totally get and agree with your concerns. And I'm not vouching for Richardson (yet). But man o man is his highlight reel impressive. Dude is an absolute specimen in terms of physical traits for the modern NFL QB position... Anthony Richardson 2022 Florida Highlights

That said, the problem (as you allude to) is his lowlight reel. And possibly, based on those lowlights, the most important physical trait of all, which is the organ between his ears. There are some at least yellow, if not red, flags. I've heard nothing about his character, work ethic or intelligence. I'd be curious to hear how he's perceived along those fronts by his coaches, teammates, etc.

I don't see how you can do much worse than carr at qb
I'm on board with moving on from Carr, but not hastily. You eanna go with Mike White? Gardner Minshew? Heck,.what about Lamar Jackson? Is he going to provide RoI on whatever it costs to acquire and keep him?

The only current potential FA who makes any kind of sense is Garoppolo. And if he wasn't so frail I would be 100% on board. Then again if he weren't so frail Trey Lance wouldn't be a 49er.

Your comment is outrageous enough it becomes difficult to take anything that follows that comment seriously. I get the premise but, you could absolutely and unquestionably do worse than Carr.
carr is the worst because you get the worst of both worlds. no top 10 pick and no chance at a championship or even a playoff win. you also have to invest so heavily on building an offense around him, that the defense is a sad mess.

if you bring in a guy who's cheap because he sucks. then you can build up your team and end up with a high enough pick in the 1st round that you can draft your stud franchise qb with a talented team already built up around him.

the chiefs had a good offense before mahomes and qb didn't seem to be a problem. they still went and took a chance at something better. they ended up getting a super bowl.

seattle had a qb they won a super bowl with and they decided to move on. I don't think anybody would say they made the wrong move at this point.

I'd say ride with stidham and maybe find a qb to try developing in the later rounds if none of the studs fall to you in the 1st round. if stidham sucks, then you probably have a good pick next year and can use the extra money to build up the team. if stidham is mediocre, you still have extra money to build up the team. if stidham is good, you still have extra money to build up the team.

with carr you already know exactly what you're getting. it ain't a super bowl, or a good enough draft pick to replace him with. you get endless excuses for why it's not his fault and people can always make a good argument for that, or for why it's worse to replace him. worse than what? not winning anyway? watching the offense score 0 points against garbage defenses? go an entire first or second half without scoring?
nice to see other people finally coming around to my point of view. ride with stidham and build the team up until you find the right solution at qb.

also hold onto car until someone offers up a 1st round pick. accept nothing less! it's worth the guaranteed money he's owed if you get a solid starter at any position with the pick.

Users who are viewing this thread