What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2023-24 NBA (Playoffs!) Thread: end of bench player on Knicks roster feeling self-conscious about not having crippling, season-ending injury (64 Viewers)

He won't be, but Murray really should be suspended for a game. Threw a towel and a heat pack on the floor. Made the money sign gesture toward the ref - same thing that got Gobert ejected a while back. He was acting like a big giant baby all game
I’m trying to be objective here, and I really think he needs to be suspended. How can you as the NBA set a precedence that a player can do those three egregious things and not miss time?

He should have been ejected last night (which frankly resolves the situation more cleanly) but with no punishment something needs to happen.

He won't be, but Murray really should be suspended for a game. Threw a towel and a heat pack on the floor. Made the money sign gesture toward the ref - same thing that got Gobert ejected a while back. He was acting like a big giant baby all game
I’m trying to be objective here, and I really think he needs to be suspended. How can you as the NBA set a precedence that a player can do those three egregious things and not miss time?

He should have been ejected last night (which frankly resolves the situation more cleanly) but with no punishment something needs to happen.

Yeah, ejecting him last night would have been the right play.

Not that it matters….

“Fo, Fo, Fo (, Fo) “

- Moses Malone

Last edited:
Maybe the NBA will surprise us

My brother is a massive Knicks fan so I'm rooting for them.....but man last night was just weird from an officiating standpoint. The Brunson foul being overturned....the phantom kick.....the missed moving screen on Divncenzo and then him getting the benefit of that same call at the end by flopping....just odd.

Any ONE of those calls could MAYBE be seen as a flukey mistake...but all of them together just smells bad. It really does.

I’m a Pacers fan. It really sucks, but it’s not fishy. It’s just that 3 questionable/bad calls all went against Indy in a short period that happened to be at the end of a close game. Chalk it up to officials making calls they shouldn’t be making, calls going in the home team’s favor, and a bad review rule and move on.

The officiating was what it was and the Pacers didn’t adjust, much like Denver didn’t adjust. Switch the officiating crews last night and the games may both had looked different. Brunson kept bulldozing into guys with his elbow extended and head down and getting calls while the crew in the Min/Den game let everything go. Switch it around and those games look different. But Indy just never made an adjustment.

Indy also fouled twice before inbounds leading to technical free throws which is just stupid, so they hurt themselves badly there, especially the one at the end. And with the end of the game playing out the way it did and being so close, that miracle 3 the Knicks hit at the end of the 1st half was just bad luck for Indy.

The bottom line is that the Pacers didn’t play good enough. Haliburton has to be better than 2-6 from the field. A team’s best players have to step up in the playoffs. Brunson did and Haliburton didn’t. If that doesn’t chance, Pacers aren’t going much further regardless.

My brother is a massive Knicks fan so I'm rooting for them.....but man last night was just weird from an officiating standpoint. The Brunson foul being overturned....the phantom kick.....the missed moving screen on Divncenzo and then him getting the benefit of that same call at the end by flopping....just odd.

Any ONE of those calls could MAYBE be seen as a flukey mistake...but all of them together just smells bad. It really does.

I’m a Pacers fan. It really sucks, but it’s not fishy. It’s just that 3 questionable/bad calls all went against Indy in a short period that happened to be at the end of a close game. Chalk it up to officials making calls they shouldn’t be making, calls going in the home team’s favor, and a bad review rule and move on.

The officiating was what it was and the Pacers didn’t adjust, much like Denver didn’t adjust. Switch the officiating crews last night and the games may both had looked different. Brunson kept bulldozing into guys with his elbow extended and head down and getting calls while the crew in the Min/Den game let everything go. Switch it around and those games look different. But Indy just never made an adjustment.

Indy also fouled twice before inbounds leading to technical free throws which is just stupid, so they hurt themselves badly there, especially the one at the end. And with the end of the game playing out the way it did and being so close, that miracle 3 the Knicks hit at the end of the 1st half was just bad luck for Indy.

The bottom line is that the Pacers didn’t play good enough. Haliburton has to be better than 2-6 from the field. A team’s best players have to step up in the playoffs. Brunson did and Haliburton didn’t. If that doesn’t chance, Pacers aren’t going much further regardless.

Great post

Hey guys, be nice. I'm having a tough day.

You won a playoff championship last year! All is good. That should carry you for years.

I've been a Texas Rangers' baseball fan since the late 70s. Like the Nuggets - NO TITLES in my lifetime. But last year, they won the World Series. I don't care what happens this year or next or even 5 years out, I saw the Rangers win the World Series! Never thought I'd see it happen, but it did and I'm still happy about it.

And this series ain't over! You got a puncher's chance, though Minnesota looks unbeatable right now.

You won a playoff championship last year! All is good. That should carry you for years.

I've been a Texas Rangers' baseball fan since the late 70s. Like the Nuggets - NO TITLES in my lifetime. But last year, they won the World Series. I don't care what happens this year or next or even 5 years out, I saw the Rangers win the World Series! Never thought I'd see it happen, but it did and I'm still happy about it.

And this series ain't over! You got a puncher's chance, though Minnesota looks unbeatable right now.
29 home teams have gone down 0-2... 5 teams came back. Most notably the 60-something Lakers in the year that West won finals MVP while losing the finals and the 94 Rockets that ended up winning the title.

A well-reasoned and measured post??

You're aware this is the FFA NBA thread, right?

Last edited:
i am glad that our wolves are doing so well and as an added bonus the unsavory philadelphia crowd is now off burning cars for reasons other than basketball so we dont have to hear about whatever that overrated embid guy is up to for a while which is nice take that to the bank bromigos

i would like to point out that there were a lotta lotta haters in here when minny acquired gobert and all of you should probably write him handwritten letters of apology and admit how dumb you are right now take that to the bank brochachos

Absolutely. I never thought it would work and I didn't think they had better than 30 percent chance in this series before it started. They are really good and despite being a very good defensive team they are still fun to watch.

defense wins championships a lesson that i wish the bucks had not eschewed before this season take that to the bank brochacho

i would like to point out that there were a lotta lotta haters in here when minny acquired gobert and all of you should probably write him handwritten letters of apology and admit how dumb you are right now take that to the bank brochachos
Tim Connelly is on track to prove a lot of us - basically everyone in the world other than Frosty - wrong right now. My only postseason allegiance this year is to whatever team has the best chance to beat Boston and I'm on the verge of flipping from a Nuggets fan to a Wolves fan, though I'm not writing off the Thunder either.

Gobert was great last night

• Thanks
Reactions: SWC
Dammit, there's totally an opening here for a "Gobert had a baby and it was Jamal Murray" joke here but I'm not funny enough to make it.

Good point. Celtics fans have been relishing that one championship since the 80s for quite a while now.

A well-reasoned and measured post??

You're aware this is the FFA NBA thread, right?

That it came from me should increase the incredulity.

I watch/know about basketball just enough to allow me to make dangerously irresponsible hot takes but not nearly enough to make fully informed and reasoned assessments.

Me making a logical reasonable post is like the year my buddy convinced me to join his long running really hardcore MLB fantasy league despite me assuring him I was so out of the loop I could name a few stars, couldn’t even begin to GUESS the top fantasy players at each position or what strategy to use. So of course I won the league and was never invited back.

Absolutely. I never thought it would work and I didn't think they had better than 30 percent chance in this series before it started. They are really good and despite being a very good defensive team they are still fun to watch.
They still way way overpaid. It has worked out so far for sure, but they still owe a 2025, 2027, and 2029 first rounder to Utah, with a swap thrown in 2026

Dammit, there's totally an opening here for a "Gobert had a baby and it was Jamal Murray" joke here but I'm not funny enough to make it.
its good you realize that you arent very funny take that to the bank brophermigo ps this is a joke

They still way way overpaid. It has worked out so far for sure, but they still owe a 2025, 2027, and 2029 first rounder to Utah, with a swap thrown in 2026
Yep, there can be two mutually inclusive concepts here - Gobert has been great and I'm happy the Wolves got him but they still overpaid.

That might be true, but if it leads to a title like the Jrue Holiday overpay then who cares. I think the Lakers would be better off if they never traded for Anthony Davis, but they got a title so I can't argue it.

Tim Legler had a quote today that said something like Murray was 3-18, I'm not surprised he missed Davis with the heat pack.
He's gotta be suspended, right? Even someone like yourself can agree with that?
I think he should be, but I don't think he will be.

29 home teams have gone down 0-2... 5 teams came back. Most notably the 60-something Lakers in the year that West won finals MVP while losing the finals and the 94 Rockets that ended up winning the title.

Don't ever underestimate the heart of a champion!!!

I know we butt heads a lot, I hope that it is just a run of the mill bad day and nothing serious.
I had to pay like $150 to watch the Nuggets get murdered. It's been pretty serious.

It happens. On the bright side 150 dollars seems pretty cheap to see a home playoff game for a defending champ.
I just looked, my tickets were $90/each - first row of the upper deck. I have a half season ticket package so I get first priority on my seats for half of the playoff games at season ticket holder price, which is roughly half of what prices were for everybody else. If they were to make the finals, the ticket prices are ~$375/each.

As a Nuggets fan, the more I have seen of the replay, the more I believe Murray will get a game. Someone (even one of his guys) could have been seriously hurt if they stepped or tripped on that. I initially thought that he was just trying to throw it to a trainer and overshot them, but it is clear what his intent was there. But I have to admit that I loved the post above that said Minn. would probably appeal it because they WANT Murray playing. :lmao:

I think Denver went cheap with their bench this year hoping Braun would make that leap, He shows flashes, but his outside shot in the playoffs has not been good and his defense has not been great. They miss Green and Brown and the rebounding and defensive intensity they brought. Denver is going to need to invest some $$ in the off-season to bring in some 2nd tier veteran, bench guys.

I know we butt heads a lot, I hope that it is just a run of the mill bad day and nothing serious.
I had to pay like $150 to watch the Nuggets get murdered. It's been pretty serious.

It happens. On the bright side 150 dollars seems pretty cheap to see a home playoff game for a defending champ.
I just looked, my tickets were $90/each - first row of the upper deck. I have a half season ticket package so I get first priority on my seats for half of the playoff games at season ticket holder price, which is roughly half of what prices were for everybody else. If they were to make the finals, the ticket prices are ~$375/each.

That is still pretty good. I remember going to the conference finals in 05 vs Miami and the tickets were 125 dollars each and we were way up in the nose bleed.

As a Nuggets fan, the more I have seen of the replay, the more I believe Murray will get a game. Someone (even one of his guys) could have been seriously hurt if they stepped or tripped on that. I initially thought that he was just trying to throw it to a trainer and overshot them, but it is clear what his intent was there. But I have to admit that I loved the post above that said Minn. would probably appeal it because they WANT Murray playing. :lmao:

I think Denver went cheap with their bench this year hoping Braun would make that leap, He shows flashes, but his outside shot in the playoffs has not been good and his defense has not been great. They miss Green and Brown and the rebounding and defensive intensity they brought. Denver is going to need to invest some $$ in the off-season to bring in some 2nd tier veteran, bench guys.
not really a question of cheapness (for once), but they really had no way to spend on anyone else last offseason. and will be about the same this offseason.

Mazzulla said on a radio interview that KP's injury is "definitely better than we thought." He didn't give a timeline for when he will return, but mentioned KP has been working hard, doing everything the training staff has thrown at him, and doing everything he can to get back quickly. Could be something, could be nothing, could be pure coach speak and diversion. At least there haven't been negative reports coming out.

Tyrese Haliburton was 2-6 for 8 pts and a -12 +/-

that and Indiana was -9 in the 4th quarter. might have something to do with why they lost. or it was a moving screen call in the 4th quarter. take your pick.

I have a completely different take on the bench - I think Braun was generally a little better this year than last offensively. He improved his ball handling and looked more comfortable in traffic and much more comfortable shooting jumpers. Defensively, he looked a little tentative and less impactful for the first 2/3 of the season but looked great in the last third. He didn't make a leap, but he looked improved to me. Watson was obviously a revelation defensively and was overall a much better player than anticipated this season.

I don't think the team missed anything from Jeff Green on the court, he's well respected, but constantly under performed. As much as I love BB, I don't think they missed him at all in the regular season but they are missing him tremendously in the post season as Reggie Jackson is a ****ing joke and nobody is flipping defense into offense and pushing the fast break like BB was last year. I think Braun and Watson are at the same level as a player to Brown, but neither can play PG effectively.

With the way the Nuggets are playing with low intensity and looking slow and unathletic, I think playing the two young athletes (Braun and Watson) who love to push pace and make turnovers easy buckets might be a good choice. Instead we get Reggie Jackson and Justin Holiday who have been terrible (other than Holiday's first decent night shooting last night) the whole post season. I think Watson and Braun getting dicked around with minutes and role has also negatively affected their production - seems like Malone is quick to pull those guys with mistakes but is happy to let Holiday and Jackson just be bad without the occasional mental mistakes of the young guys. It's just so frustrating to me watching old ****ty vets play because they can execute a system but to no positive outcome over higher variance young guys (Julian Strawther is another guy I would rather see over Jackson or Holiday) that might actually make things better.

Dallas was probably the most brazen in terms of the ignore Giddey approach during the regular season, I am really interested to see how this series plays out and who adjusts first. I’d like to think coaching is a huge advantage for the Thunder but we’ll see. Feels like 7 games.

Users who are viewing this thread