What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2023-24 NBA (Playoffs!) Thread: end of bench player on Knicks roster feeling self-conscious about not having crippling, season-ending injury (24 Viewers)

Great step forward for Orlando this year. Their future is bright. Nice win for the Cavs as well. Look back through the series—through the first 4 games—Jarrett Allen was their best player—-and they beat a solid Orlando team without arguably their second/third best player. I think that if Allen is healthy—I think the Celtics win in 6 games—with 2-3 of those games being very well contested. If Allen misses some time—I’d predict Boston in 5.
I thought Cleveland would take a game even without Allen. Will be interesting to see the availability of Allen and Porzingis as this series progresses. Nice win for the Cavs- but probably just a bump in the road for the Celts.

Just finished Celtics game....well I didn't really watch the last 5 minutes, but these guys just don't seem to care about playing great all the time for some reason. Sure you aren't going to shoot great every game, but you don't have to play half-assed defense at the same time.

Hey y'all, just checking in. Did I miss anything?

Remember when the Celtics got throttled by Miami and everybody went bananas because ZOMG! it's happening again? Yeah, second verse, same as the first. Celtics in 5 now.

It isn't the loss it is the way they lose. I don't think I have ever seen a team this talented lose focus this much, especially in the playoffs.

I get that but.....if you lose by 1 or by 20 does it really matter? The Celtics flushed their crappy game against Miami in a hurry and obliterated the Heat. They'll do that again against Cleveland. IMO.

Just finished Celtics game....well I didn't really watch the last 5 minutes, but these guys just don't seem to care about playing great all the time for some reason. Sure you aren't going to shoot great every game, but you don't have to play half-assed defense at the same time.
I think Coach Joe bears a lot of the blame for this

I feel like it is similar to what Stevens went through toward the end of his tenure. They listen to and respect Mazzulla but he can't really push or motivate them. I think Udoka was different in that regard, but we only had 1 season of him.

I feel like it is similar to what Stevens went through toward the end of his tenure. They listen to and respect Mazzulla but he can't really push or motivate them. I think Udoka was different in that regard, but we only had 1 season of him.

He has an arrogance that just doesn't work for me

The guy has the highest winning percentage ever for an NBA coach.

Amazing what happens when you're allowed to mostly guard SGA and Dort can't just tackle Luka all game.

Holmgren is fantastic at the rim. Dude overshadowed by Wemby but daaaaaang man he is good there on D.

OKC as a whole hitting the offensive glass is crazy. You can tell they are a very young team because they just hammer it with reckless abandon all night.

At the end of the day, Dallas shot the ball unsustainably well. But then Irving wasn't able to get a bucket either. If Dallas shoots their normal percentage (OKC right around theirs), it's down to the wire. Yay shooting luck!

The guy has the highest winning percentage ever for an NBA coach.

!

Also gotta point out how terrible the announcers were. Not like biased or boo they hate my team, but actually bad at their job. Some facts they should know:

1. OKC has a player named Giddey. Dallas has a player named Gafford. Neither team has a player named Gaffney.
2. Dallas has Gafford, who wears #21 and is 6'10" and bald and wears a headband.
3. Dallas also has P.J. Washington, who wears #25, is somewhat skinny, and has a lot of tattoos. He is not nicknamed Gaffney.
4. OKC has two players named Jalen/Jaylin Williams. Dallas has P.J. Washington. Neither team has a player named Wilson. And Dallas did not play 40 minutes of a guy names Williams. Again, those guys play for OKC.

There were a bunch of other blunders. Like Hubie Brown is too old and Dave Pasch was horrible.

Last edited:
Also gotta point out how terrible the announcers were. Not like biased or boo they hate my team, but actually bad at their job. Some facts they should know:

1. OKC has a player named Giddey. Dallas has a player named Gafford. Neither team has a player named Gaffney.
2. Dallas has Gafford, who wears #21 and is 6'10" and bald and wears a headband.
3. Dallas also has P.J. Washington, who wears #25, is somewhat skinny, and has a lot of tattoos. He is not nicknamed Gaffney.
4. OKC has two players named Jalen/Jaylin Williams. Dallas has P.J. Washington. Neither team has a player named Wilson. And Dallas did not play 40 minutes of a guy names Williams. Again, those guys place for OKC.

There were a bunch of other blunders. Like Hubie Brown is too old and Dave Pasch was horrible.
Man, I wish I could have stayed up to watch that game. Especially after my disgust at Boston's weekly egg-laying ceremony.

My body is shutting down at 9:30 pm every night and then waking me up at like 5:30 am. Yay getting old!!

They are gonna hire Bud, no doubt.

Round and round we go
Yep, Budenholzer it is!
Terrible. I like Bud, but teams never learn it seems.
Mike Budenholzer is a damn good head coach.

On offense the Suns need to change their shot selection and you can guarantee Bud will have some blue tape squares on the court for practices. They just have to get more threes.

He's also a stickler for protecting the rim on defense first, which immediately improves the math on that side of the court. Rotations and playoff adjustments? Well, every coach has weaknesses, but Phoenix could do much, much worse than Coach Bud.

4. OKC has two players named Jalen/Jaylin Williams. Dallas has P.J. Washington. Neither team has a player named Wilson. And Dallas did not play 40 minutes of a guy names Williams. Again, those guys place for OKC.

Man, I wish I could have stayed up to watch that game. Especially after my disgust at Boston's weekly egg-laying ceremony.

My body is shutting down at 9:30 pm every night and then waking me up at like 5:30 am. Yay getting old!!
I'm not ashamed to say my flight landed after 11pm, i stayed on airplane mode, and I watched in one hour, skipping commercials, halftime, and free throws, when i woke up today. LOL.

Round and round we go
Yep, Budenholzer it is!

On offense the Suns need to change their shot selection and you can guarantee Bud will have some blue tape squares on the court for practices. They just have to get more threes.

He's also a stickler for protecting the rim on defense first, which immediately improves the math on that side of the court. Rotations and playoff adjustments? Well, every coach has weaknesses, but Phoenix could do much, much worse than Coach Bud.
I agree with the last sentence, but he can stickle all he want, it won't change the personnel which is not well equipped to protect the rim. Vogel is big on rim protection too.

Round and round we go
Yep, Budenholzer it is!

I agree with the last sentence, but he can stickle all he want, it won't change the personnel which is not well equipped to protect the rim. Vogel is big on rim protection too.
Not too many options on what to do with the personnel either. Ishbia is going to be lighting quite the pile of money on fire in the desert.

Round and round we go
Yep, Budenholzer it is!

Not too many options on what to do with the personnel either. Ishbia is going to be lighting quite the pile of money on fire in the desert.
All they have to do is find a rim protector who won't kill them on offense who will sign on a minimum deal, no big deal.

team shoots 1 - 29 from three

"this team just doesn't care. the coach sucks."

or, hear me out, threes weren't falling and when that happens you lose by a lot of points
Boston shot 8/35, but more importantly gave up 13/28. If they were playing HORSE I could see your point. But shot selection and defensive intensity/pressure can influence both of those numbers and that is what I and others are referring to.

Wonder why Minnesota hasn't suffered a similar fate in any of its 6 games despite playing objectively superior teams to Miami and Cleveland?

Couldn't be defensive effort/execution and shot selection could it?

Are you actually watching the games?

or, hear me out, threes weren't falling and when that happens you lose by a lot of points
Boston shot 8/35, but more importantly gave up 13/28. If they were playing HORSE I could see your point. But shot selection and defensive intensity/pressure can influence both of those numbers and that is what I and others are referring to.

Wonder why Minnesota hasn't suffered a similar fate in any of its 6 games despite playing objectively superior teams to Miami and Cleveland?

Yeah. seems like most every win/loss is being boiled down to 3 point shooting

There are more than a few other ways to win/lose a game

they should add a four point line take that to the bank bromigos

they should add a four point line take that to the bank bromigos
I like the idea of taking away the corner 3

Players actually having to move and not just stand in the corner

Suns are paying Bud over 10M a year. Incredible. Going from Vogel to him. Starting to think Ishbia doesn’t get it.

Carlisle fined $35k. It should have been $78k.
😄

If Carlisle wanted to get calls, he should have whipped his head back and / or fallen to the ground.
Live footage:

😄 Same hair style. Interesting.

Has anyone ever seen Carlisle and Carrey in the same place at the same time?

it's the going overboard over ONE game that's too much.

teams have letdowns. shots don't fall. guys are tired, don't feel it on a given night. don't read so much in to it, you'll be better for it.

For folks that don’t watch Boston all the time, last night was just one of those nights that they have every once in a while. Giving credit to CLE, the Cavs played tough on defense, fought for rebounds, and made a ton of tough shots. They got hot from three (they were over 50% before the scrubs came in). And at one point, the C’s bricked like 20 three pointers in a row. It happens. Another came Boston will make 20+ threes and win by 30. Pretty easy to see better outcomes for them when games have more normal outcomes.

For folks that don’t watch Boston all the time, last night was just one of those nights that they have every once in a while. Giving credit to CLE, the Cavs played tough on defense, fought for rebounds, and made a ton of tough shots. They got hot from three (they were over 50% before the scrubs came in). And at one point, the C’s bricked like 20 three pointers in a row. It happens. Another came Boston will make 20+ threes and win by 30. Pretty easy to see better outcomes for them when games have more normal outcomes.
Maybe some better, more active defense would have helped

Maybe some better, more active defense would have helped
They had multiple defensive possessions when Cleveland made a long distance, borderline desperation three that went in as the shot clock expired. Where things really went wrong was Boston missing a shot and the Cavs getting a rebound and pushing up court for an easy basket. I thought Boston’s half court defense was decent but their transition defense was abhorrent. They won’t win many games the way they play with a -5 3P differential.

Users who are viewing this thread