What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2023-24 NBA (Playoffs!) Thread: Lakers blame refs for blowing 20-point lead (15 Viewers)

On a side note, I just went down the Wemby rabbit-hole for a bit. Kid is getting better as the season goes along.

Does he have a case for DPOY as a rookie? He's leading the league in blocks by a wide margin and is #4 in DefRtg, #3 in DefReb%, #6 in DefBox+/- & #10 in DefWS. I guess maybe Gobert is his strongest competition but the Timberwolves have several guys in the top 20 in those categories meaning he is benefitting from being the anchor of a great defensive team where Wemby is basically doing these things on his own.
There's certainly a case, but last I checked there were experts arguing Holmgren over Wemby for ROTY, so I won't hold my breath for DPOY.
I don't think there is much merit to Holmgren's case.

Wemby's knock is his team's record. The T-Wolves are the best defensive team and Gobert is their best defensive player.

I looked up the odds and Gobert is the clear favorite with Wemby at #2 and Jarrett Allen @ a close 3rd (some sites have them even). Holmgren's odds are substantially behind those two in 4th.

On a side note, I just went down the Wemby rabbit-hole for a bit. Kid is getting better as the season goes along.

Does he have a case for DPOY as a rookie? He's leading the league in blocks by a wide margin and is #4 in DefRtg, #3 in DefReb%, #6 in DefBox+/- & #10 in DefWS. I guess maybe Gobert is his strongest competition but the Timberwolves have several guys in the top 20 in those categories meaning he is benefitting from being the anchor of a great defensive team where Wemby is basically doing these things on his own.
There's certainly a case, but last I checked there were experts arguing Holmgren over Wemby for ROTY, so I won't hold my breath for DPOY.

Wemby's knock is his team's record. The T-Wolves are the best defensive team and Gobert is their best defensive player.

I looked up the odds and Gobert is the clear favorite with Wemby at #2 and Jarrett Allen @ a close 3rd (some sites have them even). Holmgren's odds are substantially behind those two in 4th.
I think he was saying rookie of year is Holmgren's, not defensive player of the year

Meh, my expertise is centered around regurgitating weird stats I find online, running various way too detailed NBA related drafts in the offseason, throwing out fake/unrealistic Lakers trade ideas, and mastering all things related to the In Season Tournament. This is the lull in my posting season. Plus the Celtics are good and Lakers are bad, so I can’t get too excited about the season right now.
The Spurs have a winning record against every NBA team, except the Lakers. Enjoy it, while you can.
I like that stat and it sent me on a quick trip

Lakers have a winning record against every NBA team except...Boston
Boston has winning record against every NBA team except...San Antonio

Round and round they go

Caught up to the Mavs game. That sucks. Dallas is better than that team. Played pretty meh and still should have won.

Cavs have a better record overall

Easy now, he knows more than of us.
I'm fine to make this a running joke forever, but it's starting to feel like sour grapes or just purposefully being a jerk to me. I know you're god's gift to basketball analysis and it's frustrating to so consistently have many others in this thread, but you gotta get over it.

Or, if y'all would all prefer, I'll just not join like some of our other most knowledgeable folks and I'll try to keep an eye out for the fun drafts. But the constant personal attacks are not ok. I try pretty hard to be kind and to share knowledge, and you're equally as consistently a jerk.

Just let me know if you'd like to get over it, or if you'd like me to stop posting. Your call.

So you are okay with joke, but not okay with it? I would guess more than half my posts in here are jokes.

I don't claim to be the most knowledgeable basketball person in here or any where. I have admitted I get things wrong all the time, I believe I even said I was wrong more than I was right when you threw your little tantrum last week.

Grow some thicker skin. Otherwise same time and place next week?
i tried to say this nicely with the model railroad thing but let me be more clear you are being a jerk stop it hes a good contributor to the thread take that to the bank brohan

Sorry you feel that way, but I never said anything mean to him until he got all mad about me saying we all get more things wrong than we get correct and he went on his condescending tantrum about how much smarter he is than all of us.
Not exactly. He gave his credentials and you took it upon yourself to try and knock him down a peg.

That's what happens in this thread and the FFA in general. Anyone dares stick their neck out and here comes the Robespierres of the world to try and chop their heads off
the... Rob Espierres??

i don't know about all this but every time i see him play there are moments that seem impossible and he's 14 years old. frightening to think how good he can get if he stays healthy.

I’m surprised Anthony Davis isn’t higher in that DPOY conversation.

Caught up to the Mavs game. That sucks. Dallas is better than that team. Played pretty meh and still should have won.

I'm fine to make this a running joke forever, but it's starting to feel like sour grapes or just purposefully being a jerk to me. I know you're god's gift to basketball analysis and it's frustrating to so consistently have many others in this thread, but you gotta get over it.

Or, if y'all would all prefer, I'll just not join like some of our other most knowledgeable folks and I'll try to keep an eye out for the fun drafts. But the constant personal attacks are not ok. I try pretty hard to be kind and to share knowledge, and you're equally as consistently a jerk.

Just let me know if you'd like to get over it, or if you'd like me to stop posting. Your call.

So you are okay with joke, but not okay with it? I would guess more than half my posts in here are jokes.

I don't claim to be the most knowledgeable basketball person in here or any where. I have admitted I get things wrong all the time, I believe I even said I was wrong more than I was right when you threw your little tantrum last week.

i tried to say this nicely with the model railroad thing but let me be more clear you are being a jerk stop it hes a good contributor to the thread take that to the bank brohan

Sorry you feel that way, but I never said anything mean to him until he got all mad about me saying we all get more things wrong than we get correct and he went on his condescending tantrum about how much smarter he is than all of us.
Not exactly. He gave his credentials and you took it upon yourself to try and knock him down a peg.

That's what happens in this thread and the FFA in general. Anyone dares stick their neck out and here comes the Robespierres of the world to try and chop their heads off
the... Rob Espierres??
He's the Spanish speaking gentleman, the one we all call Kurt.

the... Rob Espierres??
He's the Spanish speaking gentleman, the one we all call Kurt.
oh, i know him. fantastic hair on that fella. no product in it, either.

Records of Top 9 teams (by record) vs. the other Top 8 teams:

OKC - 12-5 (5 games remaining . . . H: MIL - A: BOS, MIL, NOP, NYK)
BOS - 10-5 (7 games remaining . . . H: MIL, NYK, OKC - A: CLE, DEN, MIL, NOP)
MIL - 9-6 (7 games remaining . . . H: BOS, LAC, OKC - A: BOS, LAC, NOP, OKC)
MIN - 10-7 (7 games remaining . . . H: CLE, DEN, LAC - A: CLE, DEN, DEN, LAC)
NOP 9-8 (5 games remaining . . . H: BOS, CLE, LAC, MIL, OKC)
DEN - 7-9 (7 games remaining . . . H: BOS, CLE, MIN, MIN, NYK - A: LAC, MIN)
CLE - 5-8 (7 games remaining . . . H: BOS, MIN, NYK - A: DEN, LAC, MIN, NOP)
LAC - 5-11 (7 games remaining . . . HL CLW, DEN, MIL, MIN - A: MIL, MIN, NOP)
NYK - 5-13 (5 games remaining . . . H: OKC - A: BOS, CLE, DEN, MIL)

Last edited:

Good reference!

ETA: Though you might want to check the spelling...

I was falling asleep and assumed the Clips had it won.

Looks like they actually did miss PG13 & Zubac. They are very deep and have a lot of guys who can score as well as defend. Sounds like LeBron took over and the Clippers just stopped scoring.

I was falling asleep and assumed the Clips had it won.

Looks like they actually did miss PG13 & Zubac. They are very deep and have a lot of guys who can score as well as defend. Sounds like LeBron took over and the Clippers just stopped scoring.
LeBron scored or assisted on 30 points in the 4th quarter, was a +23 in that time, and was also guarding Kawhi for most of the quarter. Just crazy.

I think I saw Clippers had 7 turnovers in the last quarter too.

So Phil Jackson had a rule that if your team wanted to be a legit title contender you had to win 40 games on the regular season before you lost 20. In the last 30 years 27 of the 30 champions have followed this rule.

This year only the Celtics, Nuggets, T-Wolves and Thunder have followed the rule.

the ons I can think of are:

Atlanta
LA
LA
BOS
PHI
DET
WAS
OKC
LA counting twice for ya?
LA has two teams. Maybe you've heard something about it.

Although looking it up, he technically was never on the Clippers (they play in LA), but re-routed immediately in the 2019 trade from the Sixers. I just remembered that the stupid Lakers (they play in LA), dumped Ivica Zubica for Muscala.

BTW - I haven't been posting as much in here over the last couple years for a few different reasons.
  1. I started a civil engineering company just a little over two years ago and have generally been significantly busier than I was the preceding 36 years of my life.
  2. I don't watch as much basketball on TV as a couple years ago - I have a half season Nuggets ticket package so I'm at more games, the Nuggets are on TV less, and I'm busier than I used to be after hours as well (business, kid, etc.).
  3. Everybody is on board with Jokic and the Nuggets being legitimately good. When I was talking up Jokic as the second coming back in like 2016 or 2017, it was a lot of fun to both make my case as people were calling me nutty and to ultimately be correct (not that I saw this coming).
  4. Some of the people that were easy to lightly troll have either moved on or generally matured to a point where it either isn't as much fun.
  5. In a very broad sense for this whole site, I enjoy the conversation here much more, but Reddit has stolen a lot of my attention.
I still read the thread 4-5 days a week, but don't engage as much.

I'd have to go back and find the exact quote, but Windhorst did a great job verbalizing my thoughts at the half of this Mavs-Celtics game. He said something like: This shows exactly why Boston is the best team, and why Dallas is extremely dangerous.

Boston moving the ball super well, and Luka single-handedly keeping Dallas in it despite what feels like super cold shooting on a ton of great looks. Hoping the game remains interesting.

Celtics win in a demolition

Guess I shouldn't be shocked
They looked so much better. I think there was some definite shooting luck (think Boston was close to 50% from 3, Dallas had to be around 25% when I quit watching). Kyrie also looked awful, possibly the worst game I've seen him play this season. So the shooting luck I wouldn't say is the difference, but a ~10 point victory becomes like 30 due to luck.

Hardaway also looked terrible, and on top of that, Kidd's decisions are a little on the bizarre side. 20 minutes of Kleber at the 5 vs Boston, a team where I think the path to victory is slowing it down a bit, limiting possessions, and hammering them big...Kidd went for the exact opposite. Thought Gafford looked quite good but only saw him for a short stint.

In an imaginary world where these two teams were in the Finals, I'd believe in a Boston sweep with like 3 blowouts, or 4-1/4-2 where Luka eked out 1-2 close ones and the other 4 were probably blowouts. Unless something changes, that Celtics team is FAR superior right now.

Which isn't news to anyone I don't think but was impressive to watch.

Celtics win in a demolition

Guess I shouldn't be shocked
They looked so much better. I think there was some definite shooting luck (think Boston was close to 50% from 3, Dallas had to be around 25% when I quit watching). Kyrie also looked awful, possibly the worst game I've seen him play this season. So the shooting luck I wouldn't say is the difference, but a ~10 point victory becomes like 30 due to luck.

Hardaway also looked terrible, and on top of that, Kidd's decisions are a little on the bizarre side. 20 minutes of Kleber at the 5 vs Boston, a team where I think the path to victory is slowing it down a bit, limiting possessions, and hammering them big...Kidd went for the exact opposite. Thought Gafford looked quite good but only saw him for a short stint.

In an imaginary world where these two teams were in the Finals, I'd believe in a Boston sweep with like 3 blowouts, or 4-1/4-2 where Luka eked out 1-2 close ones and the other 4 were probably blowouts. Unless something changes, that Celtics team is FAR superior right now.

Which isn't news to anyone I don't think but was impressive to watch.
Will watch to see what GSW can do against them on Sunday

Users who are viewing this thread