What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2023 Las Vegas Raiders - RIP Jack - one of the greatest Super Bowl moments ever (6 Viewers)

I saw a mock that had the Raiders taking Anthony Richardson with their first pick. This could be a possibility considering McDaniels reached on QB as the Broncos HC when they drafted Tebow.

I saw a mock that had the Raiders taking Anthony Richardson with their first pick. This could be a possibility considering McDaniels reached on QB as the Broncos HC when they drafted Tebow.
Im going to assume that he has learned from his mistakes

I need to do a lot more research on this year's QB class, but I wouldn't hate seeing them trade down and then take a guy like this who has huge physical upside. At #7 though, I'd rather see them take a more sure thing prospect, even if not a QB.

I do think that they need to prioritize building up both lines with BPAs until an opportunity to take a franchise QB comes into play. That may or may not be in this draft, and doesn't need to be shoehorned into any first round, this year or beyond.

https://www.si.com/nfl/raiders/the-...e-ziegler-tom-brady-josh-mcdaniels-mark-davis

It never made sense to me that McD would discard Carr with 2 games left. This explains a bit to me.

I like Derek, but I'm not shocked he didn't like getting called out.
I suppose, but I'm still a bit confused (other than the injury clause), but the Raiders basically squashed any trade leverage they had by benching Carr.
i think it was the consistency that was all over that article. we all scratched our heads at the straight up release of the OL men, when the OL was so thin. i think this was the same. doesn't matter what name is on the back of the jersey. team comes first. if the decision had been made to move on, do it now. and the injury clause was huge.

A
I suppose, but I'm still a bit confused (other than the injury clause), but the Raiders basically squashed any trade leverage they had by benching Carr.
Guaranteed 40 mill in February, and a no trade clause.
They had/have no trade leverage. Less than none, actually. They have negative leverage.

https://www.si.com/nfl/raiders/the-...e-ziegler-tom-brady-josh-mcdaniels-mark-davis

It never made sense to me that McD would discard Carr with 2 games left. This explains a bit to me.

• One player said: "I love Derek and wish he were still here. But I love the way Josh does it. Everyone on this team is held to one standard, and you are to perform at a championship level every play and every day. I liked Gruden, but he was never wrong. I also wanted Bisaccia, but certain people didn't get it (criticism in front of the team) like others."
🤔

Raider Nation is divided into two groups.
  • One group loves Carr and swears he can do no wrong.
  • The other can't stand Carr and probably still blame him for the final two losses.
  • Both groups in their fandom are irrational.
  • After years of terrible drafting that has left the Raiders with nearly zero depth, multiple coaches, and almost no defense, it is unfair and illogical to blame Derek Carr entirely for the woes of the franchise.
  • Despite numerous fourth-quarter comebacks, it is equally unfair and illogical not to blame Derek Carr for the mistakes, poor execution, and failures.

Raider Nation is divided into two groups.
  • One group loves Carr and swears he can do no wrong.
  • The other can't stand Carr and probably still blame him for the final two losses.
  • Both groups in their fandom are irrational.
  • After years of terrible drafting that has left the Raiders with nearly zero depth, multiple coaches, and almost no defense, it is unfair and illogical to blame Derek Carr entirely for the woes of the franchise.
  • Despite numerous fourth-quarter comebacks, it is equally unfair and illogical not to blame Derek Carr for the mistakes, poor execution, and failures.
they really should let the posters in this thread run the team. couldn't be worse

This rings true.
THIS IS LONG BUT INSANELY INFORMATIVE

This rings true.

:oldunsure:

Derek Carr will not get traded he is done with the Raiders. He is not going to hurt his new team by having them give assets for him. He will be loyal to HIS NEW TEAM and of course to himself.

Interesting

RICH BISACCIACS, GREEN BAY PACKERS
9298.jpg

The Colts completed an interview with Packers special teams coordinator Rich Bisaccia for their head coach vacancy.​

Bisaccia put his name on the map for future head coaching gigs by taking over as interim head coach for the Raiders after John Gruden was fired. He arguably saved the Raiders' season as it was set to spiral out of control, spurring them to a 7-5 record and a playoff berth under his watch. He was not retained by Las Vegas after the season and went on to join the Packers. Bisaccia has been well-liked by players at every stop in his career and has a minor stint of head coaching experience under his belt. Though there are a few masterminds on the offensive and defensive side of the ball looking for head coaching gigs, it wouldn't be shocking to see the Colts go off the board with their next boss.

Interesting

View attachment 3407

The Colts completed an interview with Packers special teams coordinator Rich Bisaccia for their head coach vacancy.​

Bisaccia put his name on the map for future head coaching gigs by taking over as interim head coach for the Raiders after John Gruden was fired. He arguably saved the Raiders' season as it was set to spiral out of control, spurring them to a 7-5 record and a playoff berth under his watch. He was not retained by Las Vegas after the season and went on to join the Packers. Bisaccia has been well-liked by players at every stop in his career and has a minor stint of head coaching experience under his belt. Though there are a few masterminds on the offensive and defensive side of the ball looking for head coaching gigs, it wouldn't be shocking to see the Colts go off the board with their next boss.
there you go. his first ever job interview for head coach. hope he gets it. nice guy. personally i don't think he's HC material. but it is the colts

A
They had/have no trade leverage. Less than none, actually. They have negative leverage.
Sadly, I can't argue with this at all.. And, once again, how Raider (verb) of a move is that....?

This rings true.

:unsure::whistle:

Interesting

View attachment 3407

there you go. his first ever job interview for head coach. hope he gets it. nice guy. personally i don't think he's HC material. but it is the colts
Surprise, surprise... we disagree.

I don't think the HC needs to be a offensive or defensive guru... in fact, most OC's and DC's who are and then get to the HC fail. There are all sorts of shapes and sizes for successful HC's so there isn't a "THIS is a HC" type of approach but I think the most successful HC is likely to be first and foremost a leader. After that having organizational leadership/management skills. Being able to game manage is important in making decisions like whether to go for it or not... but so much of that is being taking over by some nerd running percentages. I think Bisaccia can be very succesful. He isn't going to come in with his offensive or defensive system and then hire a OC or DC to run it like McD or Gruden on offense so he would need a strong OC/DC who can run their systems effectively. The Colts have talent... the last few years they were a SB ready team that just lacked the QB piece and they tried and tried and tried to get a vet to come in and lead them and it never quite worked. This year, they imploded and I didn't follow them close enough to have a clue as to why that may be. I wouldn't discount Bisaccia being able to be successful... having a locker room full of guys who will run through a brick wall for you can not be underestimated.

A
They have tons of leverage. They have "your QB sucks and Carr is better" leverage. Carr wants to play. The no-trade clause will ensure he gets a lot of say in where he goes, but there will be teams tripping over themselves to trade for Carr.

A
They have tons of leverage. They have "your QB sucks and Carr is better" leverage. Carr wants to play. The no-trade clause will ensure he gets a lot of say in where he goes, but there will be teams tripping over themselves to trade for Carr.
The benching him was the wrong move because it signaled to the other teams that they will cut bait one way or another. Teams have to believe that they will be willing to keep him if they don't get compensation for the trade. Even if the plan was 100% to trade Carr... Ziegler and McD screwed this up. They may still get a trade but I also don't see a team paying up what Carr's value is either.

The problem is the "February". If it was week 1 guaranteed, they have some leverage. Some. But February was explicitly put into that contract so that he would have the entire offseason to get a new job if the team wanted to move on.
No one else in the NFL needs to make a QB decision in February--except Vegas. Even if teams were deciding between Carr and Brady/Rodgers/Garoppolo, those other guys might all be on holiday till March.

This is one of those things that I am 100% confident in, and pray I am wrong.

benching him was the wrong move because it signaled to the other teams that they will cut bait one way or another. Teams have to believe that they will be willing to keep him if they don't get compensation for the trade. Even if the plan was 100% to trade Carr... Ziegler and McD screwed this up. They may still get a trade but I also don't see a team paying up what Carr's value is either.

This. 💯

^^^ The above is the latest indication that McDonald's doesn't have what it takes to lead this organization out of its misery. I hope I am wrong, but it wasn't rocket science seeing how this would play out benching him when they did.

Interesting

View attachment 3407

I don't think the HC needs to be a offensive or defensive guru... in fact, most OC's and DC's who are and then get to the HC fail. There are all sorts of shapes and sizes for successful HC's so there isn't a "THIS is a HC" type of approach but I think the most successful HC is likely to be first and foremost a leader. After that having organizational leadership/management skills. Being able to game manage is important in making decisions like whether to go for it or not... but so much of that is being taking over by some nerd running percentages. I think Bisaccia can be very succesful. He isn't going to come in with his offensive or defensive system and then hire a OC or DC to run it like McD or Gruden on offense so he would need a strong OC/DC who can run their systems effectively. The Colts have talent... the last few years they were a SB ready team that just lacked the QB piece and they tried and tried and tried to get a vet to come in and lead them and it never quite worked. This year, they imploded and I didn't follow them close enough to have a clue as to why that may be. I wouldn't discount Bisaccia being able to be successful... having a locker room full of guys who will run through a brick wall for you can not be underestimated.
In today‘s nfl, it’s gonna be really rare for an Owner to turn over their team to someone “not qualified”. But it is Jim irsay.

aawtfdik. And I did say that I hope gets it. ;)

Interesting

View attachment 3407

In today‘s nfl, it’s gonna be really rare for an Owner to turn over their team to someone “not qualified”. But it is Jim irsay.

aawtfdik. And I did say that I hope gets it. ;)
Miss the quotations?
:lmao: not qualified

in fact, most OC's and DC's who are and then get to the HC fail.
Since the overwhelming majority of people who become HCs we're previously DCs or OCs that statement would be weird if it were untrue.

Going into 2022.I think there were 6 HCs that weren't previously a coordinator. That's not even 20% of the HC jobs. 40% of the 5 currently open HC jobs were held by guys with no coordinator experience.

Harbaugh (Bal), Taylor (CIN), Reid (KC), Campbell (DET), Ruhl (Car) & Kingsbury (Ari). Three hits, two misses and the jury is out on Campbell, though he's trending in the right direction.

The problem is the "February". If it was week 1 guaranteed, they have some leverage. Some. But February was explicitly put into that contract so that he would have the entire offseason to get a new job if the team wanted to move on.
No one else in the NFL needs to make a QB decision in February--except Vegas. Even if teams were deciding between Carr and Brady/Rodgers/Garoppolo, those other guys might all be on holiday till March.

You are 100% correct.

Carr has all the leverage. But that doesn't mean the Raiders have none, just that their path to getting compensation is more complicated.

The Raiders need to be willing to do what the Niners did with Garoppolo last year. They have to be willing to play chicken and, if necessary, pay Carr $40 mil in 2023. It worked out well enough for San Francisco.

They can pick up Carr's contract in February. Teams know the Raiders are willing to trade him but they will need to pay to get him. Maybe the Raiders will need to eat some of the $40 mil, or take a lesser pick package to trade him and not pay cash, but the opportunity is there.

The Raiders simply need to be prepared to not trade him. There are advantages to that too. He's still better than Stidham (he is, so stop hitting Reply. Just, stop) and it would allow them to wait on the QB position for another year, build up areas of weakness & lack of depth. And maybe make a move for a QB in 2024.

It can be done, it just depends on the teams stomach for risk.

You are 100% correct.

Carr has all the leverage. But that doesn't mean the Raiders have none, just that their path to getting compensation is more complicated.

The Raiders need to be willing to do what the Niners did with Garoppolo last year. They have to be willing to play chicken and, if necessary, pay Carr $40 mil in 2023. It worked out well enough for San Francisco.

They can pick up Carr's contract in February. Teams know the Raiders are willing to trade him but they will need to pay to get him. Maybe the Raiders will need to eat some of the $40 mil, or take a lesser pick package to trade him and not pay cash, but the opportunity is there.

The Raiders simply need to be prepared to not trade him. There are advantages to that too. He's still better than Stidham (he is, so stop hitting Reply. Just, stop) and it would allow them to wait on the QB position for another year, build up areas of weakness & lack of depth. And maybe make a move for a QB in 2024.

Davis does not have the deep pockets to do fork out huge money to pay those games.
Especially for a player they cut ties with and embarrassed.
no chance they mend that bridge

You are 100% correct.

Davis does not have the deep pockets to do fork out huge money to pay those games.
Especially for a player they cut ties with and embarrassed.
no chance they mend that bridge
I said it would be a gamble. A high stakes game of chicken. But I am sure Davis, and his partners, have enough money to cover Carr's contract. He is "poor" by very subjective standards but he isn't that "poor". The Raiders generate enough revenue to cover the contract.

I think the notion of Carr being "dissed" or "shamed" or "embarrassed" is hugely overblown. I doubt he found out about the switch to Stidham from sports radio. And the team unquestionably did Carr a favor by not exposing him to injury during a lost season when they had decided to move on from him.

I wouldn't speak in absolutes about situations like this. Last year there was "zero chance" that Jimmy Garoppolo would be in a Niner uniform in 2022. There were tons of op-eds from talking heads talking about the $27 million (or whatever) that they would never pay him and how they lost bargaining leverage because it was an open secret that Garoppolo would be gone.

As T.O. would say Carr has $40 million reasons to get over it. Leaving the Raiders would probably be good for him but it is also unlikely that another team will guarantee him $40 million for the 2023 season. Why not play out for $40 mil in 2023 and then hit the open market on his own terms and get some kind of 3-5 year deal with $70 mil, or so, guaranteed?

Davis does not have the deep pockets
How much does he have?
He has enough.

I see estimates for his personal net worth anywhere from $250 million to $2 billion. And that doesn't really account for revenue generated by the team or the team value that, to whatever degree he owns, can be borrowed against.

Although the website that suggests $250 mil also said this about him "American businessman and sports franchise owner Mark Davis has an estimated net worth of $250 million dollars, as of 2023. Davis is the owner of the Las Vegas Raiders NBA team."

The narrative that Mark Davis is poor or that his financial situation hinders the Raiders needs to stop. If Carr played well this year he was getting that $40M from Davis. The Raiders sign free agents every offseason despite the constant rumors about his financial situation. Each team also has to spend a certain amount of $ on players and I never hear of the Raiders possibly falling short. He bought another professional sports team in 2021. He gave Gruden what was likely the biggest head coaching contract ever at the time.

You are 100% correct.

I dont think Stidham is better than carr , but i do believe he knows the offensive ''system'' , the new england system, better than Carr and it shows on the field , Stidham definitely has a better command of the field when playing.

You are 100% correct.

I dont think Stidham is better than carr , but i do believe he knows the offensive ''system'' , the new england system, better than Carr and it shows on the field , Stidham definitely has a better command of the field when playing.
It "showed on the field" for one game and that game ended in exactly the way people vilify Carr for. In his other game he was mediocre AF.

And I imagine a second season in the system may be beneficial to Carr and his understanding of the offense.

How much does he have?
He has enough.

I see estimates for his personal net worth anywhere from $250 million to $2 billion. And that doesn't really account for revenue generated by the team or the team value that, to whatever degree he owns, can be borrowed against.

Although the website that suggests $250 mil also said this about him "American businessman and sports franchise owner Mark Davis has an estimated net worth of $250 million dollars, as of 2023. Davis is the owner of the Las Vegas Raiders NBA team."
He may have enough to squeak by, not enough to waste .
by highly unlikley he'll be paying it to a QB he has no faith in.

How much does he have?
He has enough.

He may have enough to squeak by, not enough to waste .
by highly unlikley he'll be paying it to a QB he has no faith in.
The team, and the NFL, generates the revenue that pays the players. The only concern for player contracts is having to put monies guaranteed by contracts into escrow accounts upon signing. That would certainly hinder Davis and his ability to, say, offer a Deshaun Watson style 5 year, $250 mil guaranteed deal. But a one year $40 deal will be entirely covered by team revenues.

I prefer "highly unlikely" to "no chance".

in fact, most OC's and DC's who are and then get to the HC fail.
Since the overwhelming majority of people who become HCs we're previously DCs or OCs that statement would be weird if it were untrue.

Going into 2022.I think there were 6 HCs that weren't previously a coordinator. That's not even 20% of the HC jobs. 40% of the 5 currently open HC jobs were held by guys with no coordinator experience.

Harbaugh (Bal), Taylor (CIN), Reid (KC), Campbell (DET), Ruhl (Car) & Kingsbury (Ari). Three hits, two misses and the jury is out on Campbell, though he's trending in the right direction.
Taylor and kingsbury were OCs. Rhule was a OC and HC in college. Harbaugh is most similar to coach b as a former ST coach, but he got a shot early in his career.Reid and cambell were assistant HCs, which is also a title coach b has held. But guys don’t usually get a shot after 20 years in the same position. I hope he gets it though.

Users who are viewing this thread