What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2023 New York Jets: Bye Bye (6 Viewers)

Francessa keeps saying McCarthy is out on the Jets - not sure if he's relying on that report from the weekend or has his own sources....doesnt think Caldwell is a marketable enough choice (thk goodness)....likely a new hire....Kingsbury definitely in play....oh man  

Caldwell interviewed today - my least favorite candidate
He seems like a good guy and he's been more successful in this league than he's given credit for but I just can't sit through another 4 seasons of a statue standing on the sidelines with a clueless look on his face.

If they were to hire one of these college coaches or inexperienced OCs/DCs - it may not be a terrible idea to bring Caldwell aboard as an Asst HC/Consultant type if said new HC was amenable to it. He's been around a long time and knows the league.

Francessa keeps saying McCarthy is out on the Jets - not sure if he's relying on that report from the weekend or has his own sources....doesnt think Caldwell is a marketable enough choice (thk goodness)....likely a new hire....Kingsbury definitely in play....oh man  
Francessa talks out of his ###. I'm sure it's based on the NFL Network report, but he'll claim it came from sources.

He kept saying all last week how Arians would be the guy they'll hire - and he hasn't even been brought in for an interview.

Francessa talks out of his ###. I'm sure it's based on the NFL Network report, but he'll claim it came from sources.

He kept saying all last week how Arians would be the guy they'll hire - and he hasn't even been brought in for an interview.
There was no way he would follow-up his buddy Todd. 

It begins.....I have a feeling he is going to be the pick.....

The Athletic's Bruce Feldman reports the Jets are interviewing USC OC Kliff Kingsbury for their head-coaching vacancy on Monday.

Kingsbury has been linked to the Jets and Cardinals, and the Jets are getting the first crack at talking to him. (Who knows if Kingsbury is even interested in the Arizona job.) Kingsbury is a bright offensive mind who turns 40 later this summer. He hasn't even coached at USC yet after signing on with the Trojans after he was fired as head coach of his alma mater, Texas Tech. Kingsbury already has players campaigning for him, specifically Jets' stud young S Jamal Adams.

It begins.....I have a feeling he is going to be the pick.....

The Athletic's Bruce Feldman reports the Jets are interviewing USC OC Kliff Kingsbury for their head-coaching vacancy on Monday.

Kingsbury has been linked to the Jets and Cardinals, and the Jets are getting the first crack at talking to him. (Who knows if Kingsbury is even interested in the Arizona job.) Kingsbury is a bright offensive mind who turns 40 later this summer. He hasn't even coached at USC yet after signing on with the Trojans after he was fired as head coach of his alma mater, Texas Tech. Kingsbury already has players campaigning for him, specifically Jets' stud young S Jamal Adams.
I'm convinced that Mac is steering this towards one of the college guys to preserve his power within the organization.

If this is the direction they go, I'll obviously hope they catch lightning in a bottle and their offense breaks out - but I'll have some serious doubts. If Kingsbury is the man hopefully they can land an established sharp DC because we know Kinsgbury knows nothing about defense.

Haskins has declared, the #3 pick should be open for business.. this is great news...
Also, should a team trade up ahead of the Jets to get a QB, that means the Jets could get their choice from 2 of the big 3 pass rushers if they wanted to go in that direction. I know most of us are tired of high draft picks on defense but an effective edge rusher has been eluding this team for too long now.

Also, should a team trade up ahead of the Jets to get a QB, that means the Jets could get their choice from 2 of the big 3 pass rushers if they wanted to go in that direction. I know most of us are tired of high draft picks on defense but an effective edge rusher has been eluding this team for too long now.
yeah, right now it's haskins, jallen or bosa..  anyway you slice it, they should be in good shape with that slot right now...

Kingsbury off the board.....Cleveland looks like its not going with McCarthy....Gase picking up steam to Jets....if McCarthy will take the job not sure how they cant take him over Gase

Last edited by a moderator:
Hope today is the day so they can start assembling a decent staff...  McCarthy is my pick, then Rhule/Monken, I am not too interested in Gase...

Kitchens to the Browns and Fangio to the Broncos - neither on Jets' radar.

There is no need to panic of course, but staffs will start getting filled up soon, so they can't wait forever either. If it's McCarthy, they'll be fine because he likely has his guys - but a newcomer like Monken or Rhule will be scrambling a bit.

I don't think I have ever seen a hire more scrutinized...Jets dodged a bullet there.

Apparently, McCarthy wants the Jets...and now two other roles have been filled - is it just the Jets and Miami left?
And the Bungles

The Jets are allegedly talking to Rhule again today.

The Jets taking this much time is a sign to me that they are not unanimous on a choice.....which concerns me.  McCarthy is a no brainer at this point.....but I can see Mac trying to steer the choice to Rhule or another 1st timer where he would have more power/influence....

The best experienced coach on the market....offensive minded...Super Bowl winner...coached/developed a top 10 QB of all time pushed his chips all in on the Jet job and they are still undecided?  Only the Jets folks.....

Benjamin Allbright‏Verified account @AllbrightNFL 20m20 minutes ago

Jets job is trending toward a Matt Rhule hire

Karl Abramson‏ @karlabramson 2h2 hours ago

UPDATE: Jets and Matt Rhule will speak again today about the open HC position. It's expected that if offered, Rhule will accept the job. This could be over by 6PM #Jets #Baylor #NFL

oh boy

If Rhule was able to bring Monken aboard as his OC I suppose I would feel better about it, but I just can't help but feel Mac is going in this direction to keep himself in a position of power.

I will hope for the best if this is the way they go and hopefully this turns out to be a Harbaugh from Stanford to San Fran and not a Chip Kelly from Oregon to the Eagles scenario.

So he was 1-11, and 7-6 at Baylor, and we choose him over McCarthy...a proven guy who wants to be here?

I will say, it is a little odd more teams are not clamoring for him.  I get that there was a fall out of some sort with Rodgers, but let's not put Rodgers on some sort of personality pedestal.  

Rich Cimini‏Verified account @RichCimini 1h1 hour ago

Matt Rhule definitely in Jets’ mix. Did, in fact, have an interview, as some have been reported. A college coach for nearly his entire career, but spends a lot of time watching NFL tape, I’m told. We’ll see what happens. #Jets
Well at least he spends a lot of time watching NFL tape. :hophead:

McCarthy: :angry:

Now he's gonna have to throw it in full reverse. Doesn't look like he will be coaching in 2019.

Last edited by a moderator:
I can’t get overly excited about Gase, but he did overachieve a bit with a Dolphins team with very little talent. I think there’s definitely a lot of risk but hopefully he develops Darnold and installs a successful offense.

Looks like Dowell Loggains will be the OC. Who the hell did Rhule want to hire???

Vance Joseph is a candidate to be the DC if he doesn't land one of the last 2 Head Coaching jobs.

I’m going to try to be optimistic about this. Gase did go 10-5 in games Tannehill played and made the playoffs in year one. He got the Phins to 7 wins last season with Tannehill missing a lot of time and with one of the worst rosters in the league. He was considered an up and coming offensive mind and will install some discipline.

I think it’s easy to laugh at this hiring since he was just fired by a division opponent- but he he was 5-1 against the Jets (so knows the team) and held his own against the Patriots. 

I don’t exactly feel great and there’s a decent chance we’re doing this all over again in three years but there’s also a decent chance he turns Darnold into one of the league’s best QBs and turns this franchise back around. There a some famous examples of coaches who failed during their first stop and then found a home with a second or third team.

I don’t get passing on McCarthy - but maybe Gase will make us all forget that.

From Mehta:

Now that the #Jets coaching search is over: I was told that CEO Christopher Johnson and GM Mike Maccagnan asked good, smart questions during interviews with candidates. 

Candidates were impressed by both guys. Johnson certainly opened some eyes.

From Jeff Darlington:

The Jets wanted to make sure they got the right person to help Sam Darnold — and Darnold believes they did. 

I’m told Darnold didn’t impose his opinion on GM/ownership, but after speaking with Gase via FaceTime on Monday night, he personally felt like Gase was the right guy.

So you went from the worst coach in the division to the second worst coach in the division? Who is now probably the worst coach in the division. Does god hate the Jets?

From Mehta:

Now that the #Jets coaching search is over: I was told that CEO Christopher Johnson and GM Mike Maccagnan asked good, smart questions during interviews with candidates. 

Candidates were impressed by both guys. Johnson certainly opened some eyes.
Omg. As opposed to what? It's the freaking CEO and GM. It's not like we let the summer interns do the hiring. 

finally get a night out and bombarded with texts that they hired Dolphin trash?  I hate my addiction to this team...

Meet the new Jets....same as the old Jets...

Surprised everyone here wanted McCarthy.  He is old, outdated, and hasn't shown anything great on offense in a while... even with the best QB in the league.  McCarthy would have been a boring hire.

Not saying Gase is THAT much more exciting, but the guy at least is a young offensive mind that seems to get his teams to overachieve.  He instantly steps into twice the talent he had in Miami.  He brought a bad team to the playoffs in his first year there and people considered him a COY candidate.

I like the hiring.  I think he does good things with a fresh start, talented players, and he refocuses on the things that made him great elsewhere. 

Users who are viewing this thread