What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2023 New York Jets: Bye Bye (6 Viewers)

Jax was shamed into starting (stealing this twitter, because its great) "wal-Mart Baker Mayfield", so I'd say that chances that they steal on down the stretch just increased approximately 42.4%.  Minshew wont just sit back there and be mediocre. He's going to go balls out and try to get a dub.

The Ravens have looked vulnerable the past month and Trubisky got his monthly good game out of the way yesterday against the Texans. I think we have some hope for breathing room if the hoodie tries to screw us.

Cowher ain't coaching

Figured this is of interest to you guys

-QG
I dont read this as he isnt interested at all.....he got caught talking about the attractiveness of the job while Gase is still the HC...thats a big no-no in the coaching community....if you read his statement he clearly references that he has no interest in positions that are available......Jets job is not available as of yet.  I think hes interested.  

I like Cower....yes hes been out for a while but at least the guy commands instant respect/credibility. Hes a CEO and I can see him coaching for a few years then setting the team up for long term....I'd want him to come with a solid OC to develop Trevor but there are way worse candidates than Cower.  

Worst...coach.....ever!  

Jets coach Adam Gase said he "won't" bench Frank Gore this season.

Ty Johnson rushed for 104 yards against the Raiders in Week 13, but Gase attributed that performance to the "O-line and opponent," claiming he leaned on Gore against Seattle since it "presented different challenges." Gore of course did nothing, averaging 2.8 yards per carry on a backfield-high nine touches. It's been made clear that Gase doesn't prefer efficiency and explosiveness from his running backs, cementing Gore at the head of the table among that group (no matter the outcome) for the rest of the year.

SOURCE: Rich Cimini on Twitter

Worst...coach.....ever!  

Jets coach Adam Gase said he "won't" bench Frank Gore this season.

Ty Johnson rushed for 104 yards against the Raiders in Week 13, but Gase attributed that performance to the "O-line and opponent," claiming he leaned on Gore against Seattle since it "presented different challenges." Gore of course did nothing, averaging 2.8 yards per carry on a backfield-high nine touches. It's been made clear that Gase doesn't prefer efficiency and explosiveness from his running backs, cementing Gore at the head of the table among that group (no matter the outcome) for the rest of the year.

SOURCE: Rich Cimini on Twitter
Maybe Gase is  hoping Gore chooses him as a presenter at his Hall of Fame induction ceremony.

No, of course not - but I guess my point is to not let it be his decision - as it f'n shouldn't be when he's on his way out and that 'decision' could impact this franchise long, long after he's gone.

As to your second statement, I've made a lot of money on this trash bag team all season long just live betting their 1st half team total unders after it gets inflated when they score right away and look semi competent.  
smart

lol naaaaah - maybe it's just the thrill of a quest for #1

Can't stand Cowher so good for you guys.

And to be honest NY Media generates more stories.  Our stories are depressingly predictable.  With a 1 1/2 game lead for the coveted #3 pick you'd think I could cheer a win as harmless but still can't since it means we'll keep our terrible coach.

You guys are much less interesting when things are going well 

-QG
My memory might be off, but you didn't have to go through the drama of losing first, right? I think you had a bunch of close games early on, but started like 0-11 until the one game the Jets didn't win in the second half.  Then I think you guys won in the last week of the season, but you had already clinched first. I think. Washington had 3 wins by Dec.

For us, I don't think anyone was thinking we would be in contention for the first pick. We won all those second half games and although we knew the schedule was weak and we expected to win at least 5-6 games this year. Plus we were expecting Darnold to progress rather than regress.  Then we had all those injuries in camp and we expected to lose a few early games because our schedule early on was brutal.

I think it wasn't until we lost to Denver with a back-up QB that we realized that we would be in the Tank for Trevor stakes. The first real sweat was the NE game and their "miracle comeback". Then the Raiders game.

None of us fear the Rams game. The Browns are clearly better, but capable of giving bad teams a chance to hang in there (just look at Jax 2 weeks ago).  We might be a bit panicky until the 4th quarter. The real fear will be week 17. Yikes. We'll be on pins and needles.

Have people seen the SNL skit using the Jets in an election fraud parody? I won't post it here given the topic, but I think many will find it funny if you search for it,
Yes. I just saw it the other day. If it weren't for the fact that I dislike Pete Davidson, I could have really gotten with it. Ever see those Newsmax ads about texting your vote as to who should be the President by texting "SAME"? The SNL/Jets sketch is a funny parody of it. Sanchez holding the Lombardi with the words "DYNASTY" written next to it made me larf.

Since this season is effectively over for me, can we just fast forward through to Week 17, and if we lose that, can we also fast forward through Lawrence's threat to stay in school unless we trade our pick to the Cowboys for their bevy of picks?

Because just like this stupid chicanery around our election, I won't believe it's all over until I see Lawrence in hunter green.

By the way, thanks Jamal Adams, for leaving and leaving us with two first-rounders in our future for your compensation. We're likely to get the QB we should have drafted instead of you. (I'm thinking it would take a monumental collapse by Cincinnati and wellspring of not just competency, but objectively inspired football from the Jets to not wind up with number two.)

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes. I just saw it the other day. If it weren't for the fact that I dislike Pete Davidson, I could have really gotten with it. Ever see those Newsmax ads about texting your vote as to who should be the President by texting "SAME"? The SNL/Jets sketch is a funny parody of it. Sanchez holding the Lombardi with the words "DYNASTY" written next to it made me larf.
Have not seen the Newsmax ad. Did you notice they also put a Sanchez jersey on Brady in his Super Bowl pic?
PA Lt Gov, John Fetterman, did a similar thing on Twitter last night on how the Steelers actually won the  game and are undefeated.He even tagged some as "This claim is disputed" and "Sources have called differently."

Did you notice they also put a Sanchez jersey on Brady in his Super Bowl pic?
No, I totally didn't. I was half-watching from across the room without glasses. I just remember seeing the green and number six with "DYNASTY" splashed across the newspaper they were touting.

Funny stuff about something not so funny, but best left for the politics forum on my end. (The Jets, as always, aren't unfunny, but a gas, all things considered.)

My memory might be off, but you didn't have to go through the drama of losing first, right? I think you had a bunch of close games early on, but started like 0-11 until the one game the Jets didn't win in the second half.  Then I think you guys won in the last week of the season, but you had already clinched first. I think. Washington had 3 wins by Dec.

For us, I don't think anyone was thinking we would be in contention for the first pick. We won all those second half games and although we knew the schedule was weak and we expected to win at least 5-6 games this year. Plus we were expecting Darnold to progress rather than regress.  Then we had all those injuries in camp and we expected to lose a few early games because our schedule early on was brutal.

I think it wasn't until we lost to Denver with a back-up QB that we realized that we would be in the Tank for Trevor stakes. The first real sweat was the NE game and their "miracle comeback". Then the Raiders game.

None of us fear the Rams game. The Browns are clearly better, but capable of giving bad teams a chance to hang in there (just look at Jax 2 weeks ago).  We might be a bit panicky until the 4th quarter. The real fear will be week 17. Yikes. We'll be on pins and needles.
Seattle game week 1 last year was very close and gave a sense of false hope - like you guys we pretty much got into tank mode mid-season.  Prior to season there was not like gangbusters hopes (like playoffs or anything) but there was hope that a different approach might help.  Bengals did beat the Browns the last week of the year - the Miami game was the big drama (sorta like Raiders week for you guys) - Bengals scored what I'm pretty sure is an NFL record 16 points in like the last 34 seconds of regulation (and had been down 23 with like 9 minutes left.  So we were cruising along ready to get #1 down 35-12 in the 4th quarter to the 3-11 Dolphins.  2 touchdowns with successful 2-point conversions sandwiching a successful onside kick.  Thank goodness for Brian Flores milking the clock to kick a last-second field goal in overtime (a tie was enough for us to clinch).

https://www.cincyjungle.com/2019/12/23/21034737/bengals-vs-dolphins-nfl-history-records-cincinnati-news-miami

Remember that Dolphins team, much like this year's Jacksonville team, was basically considered to be openly tanking from the word go. 

Imagine being a Jags fan knowing you're in the tank from the word go and that week 1 win as kept you behind all year lol.  But yeah I totally understand you guys sweating Belichick - I would too - that first Patriots game seemed like a reluctant win on their part.

But the Jaguars do have 6 1-score losses this year so who knows maybe, just maybe, Gardner Minshew takes mercy on you guys ;)

-QG

Didn't see the game as I was playing golf and than happy hour but was keeping tabs on the game. 

Looks like it was a stress free loss...sweet. Next week vs the Rams should also be stress free.

It's the games vs the Browns and Patriots which could produce agida.
I guess it is good you are not local.

Stress free game

Sam looked completely shell shocked....just toast.  watching Josh Allen in the night game i am just bummed at what could have been...Sam probably does too....if you switch Sam/Allen's situations I think its very likely the outcome switches as well....Jets did this kid no favors with Gase and he just cant recover....he looks worse than backups and QBs playing their first game....not even a debate they move on with the 1st or even 2d pick.  They will be lucky to get a 2d for him now....likely  3rd or worse

RBs - Ty Johnson is a young player who showed a spark and a possible impact for the future....so obviously give him less carries than Gore....I cant even laugh any more it so dumb

WRs - all were invisible - definitely missed Mims.  

TE = Hermdon is toast as well - another shame as he showed real upside

Defense - way too many weapons to compete with.....not even in the same league...What the heck is wrong in Bless Austin's head

K - time for another chance.....

Jamal didnt look like the best safety on the field - completely justified not paying big time dollars for this one at least.  That sack was a complete joke....but Id much rather have a ball hawk safety and zero chance Id pay him whats hes asking for

Geno playing garbage time for an entire quarter is the ultimate slap in the face...he also put up as many pts as Sam

Completely embarrassing performance as expected.....3 more to go and we can all turn the page....feeling a bit better if this continues....
I told a friend on Friday via text message how it will be very annoying when Geno Smith makes his season debut on Sunday. This particular friend is a WVU grad and casual NFL fan. Not picking up on any context clues whatsoever he had to ask what team Smith is with. 

Anyway, to me there was a 99% chance Smith was gonna play. I predicted a 38-10 Seattle win.

I do not think Herndon is toast. His pass blocking has been really good this season. He has been rotten as a receiver but he was not under Bowles. Gase is so terrible as a head coach that I would not discard Herndon yet. If Herndon stinks in 2021, then that would be it for him in NY.

The Frank Gore thing was understandable to a degree for a while. There is currently no way to defend Gase still using him. Like Flacco, Gore should always start games on the bench and only play in emergencies. Neither one of these fellows should actually start games. Gase is unbelievably stupid. If you are actually trying to win, Gore should not be starting. 

If you are into conspiracy theories and think the Jets are purposefully losing and accidentally were winning vs Las Vegas through 59:47 of game time and then lost in an amazing display of manipulation, then your number 1 exhibit by a large margin as proof of tanking is the team starting an old plodding running back. 

Gore should be cut as a service to him. Let him finish the year on a playoff team's bench. Heck, since Gase is pathetic, Douglas should take away the option to use Gore. 

Nobody commented on my earlier remark on the Seattle game, but Gase's most pathetic display of coaching may have come late in the first half. The Jets having to call their final time out after they had stopped the clock when Berrios ran out of bounds is beyond belief. If I was in charge of deciding Gase's fate, I would have effectively fired him on the spot. The official act of firing would have occurred maybe an hour or two after the game or maybe shortly after the plane landed in Newark.

Looking at the Dolphins shows how quick you can turn around a franchise with good coaching and drafting....they were the worst team in the league and considered tanking just a short time ago and now competing for a playoff spot....if they can finally hire the right coach, have another solid draft and use the FA $ wisely...there is no reason they cant be an 8 win team next year.....Jets won 9 games with Parcells the yr after Kotite....

As for tank of meter - the more I think about it the more I worry....there is a huge difference between the 1st and 2d pick....Fields is just not in the same ballpark as Trevor.  After all this pain and agony I can't even fathom winning a meaningless game out of the last 3 and losing him....or on a much lesser worried scale Trevor pulling a Peyton and going back to school or an Eli....

Trevor Lawrence is not going back to school or forcing his way out of getting drafted by the Jets.

Minshew-mania will save us.  Jacksonville has been so close to winning with Luton/Glennon. It's painful. The could have beaten Houston, GB, Cleveland, and Minnesota (that one especially hurt).  I think Jacksonville will find a way to beat either Chicago or Indy if the game is meaningless. They still have fight in them. Way more than we do.

If not, we'll have to rely on BB to have too much pride to lose to a winless team.  Keep the faith.

Now is Lawrence a savior? I'm not sure of that. We'll see. I don't watch a ton of college football anymore. He's been good in the games that I've seen, but I didn't walk away thinking he was the best prospect since Luck. I'll trust the scouts when it comes to college football.

One thing is for sure, Darnold isn't it. I would have more confidence in Maximus being our QB next year. Hopefully Sam can reach his potential some day. He's shot right now and not worth the high price of a second contract.

Trevor Lawrence is not going back to school or forcing his way out of getting drafted by the Jets.

Minshew-mania will save us.  Jacksonville has been so close to winning with Luton/Glennon. It's painful. The could have beaten Houston, GB, Cleveland, and Minnesota (that one especially hurt).  I think Jacksonville will find a way to beat either Chicago or Indy if the game is meaningless. They still have fight in them. Way more than we do.

If not, we'll have to rely on BB to have too much pride to lose to a winless team.  Keep the faith.

Now is Lawrence a savior? I'm not sure of that. We'll see. I don't watch a ton of college football anymore. He's been good in the games that I've seen, but I didn't walk away thinking he was the best prospect since Luck. I'll trust the scouts when it comes to college football.

One thing is for sure, Darnold isn't it. I would have more confidence in Maximus being our QB next year. Hopefully Sam can reach his potential some day. He's shot right now and not worth the high price of a second contract.
Man I hope you are right - just cant imagine coming up short after all this pain!

As for Trevor - Im also not a college football fanatic but from what Ive seen and researched its clear he is a top prospect.....much better than Sam was coming out....however he is not a savior in and of himself...if they make the same mistakes they did with Sam and give him no weapons and a crappy coach then he will fail as well.  

I really like Trevor as a prospect but more than that I like the reset and starting over...Sam is already close to a 2d uncontrolled contract and it will take him a while to lose the stink of 0-16 and Gase.....fresh start is new hope....but they MUST give him a solid coaching staff and weapons that they failed to give Sam or it will be the same fate

Ok gentleman, revised "Scared" Rankings for Jets taking into account all that occurred this past weekend with 5/5 being petrified and 1/5 being a cakewalk.

Rams this Sunday I'm at 1/5. Should be easy peasy for LA as they have both the division still up for grabs with Seattle and they are still in the mix for home field throughout playoffs just one game back of the Packers and Saints. Not a chance in hell they take the Jets lightly. Should be a 31-10 type of pasting.

Browns I'm at 2/5. I was alot more worried about this game until I saw last night's game vs Ravens. Baker once again was great and so I'm convinced now...he's really good and won't be pulling a Fitzpatrick and imploding vs the Jets. Also with Browns at 9-4 tied with Indy and with the Ravens and Titans both at 8-5, Browns need to keep their foot on the gas pedal and will not take Jets lightly as they need to continue to win. Yeah Cleveland is a cursed franchise but it looks like they've turned the corner as that team is uber talented. They should take care of Jets fairly easily.

Patriot game to end the season I'm at 3.5/5. Nothing has changed as the Patriots represent the biggest threat to us having Trevor Lawrence behind center next season. I still would be really surprised if the hoodie benched Cam and the rest of his starters because it's not his style nor MO to do that. He plays all out even when his team has a home field in playoffs locked up and so why would he do it now? Well, his hatred for the Jets and the fact if he can screw them and not have to deal with Lawrence twice a year for next decade does worry me. The Patriots not being a good football team worries me even more as even the putrid Jets could beat the Patriots even if Bill doesn't rest his starters. So yeah, this game worries me the most no question.

Real quickly...the Jags have the Ravens this Sunday. NO chance in hell the Jags are winning that game as Ravens saved their season last night and will be playing for their playoff lives once again. The following game vs the Bears gives us Jet fans the best chance of the remaining games for the Jags to win. The Bears will still be 7+ point favorites and probably will win but the Bears could implode especially Trubisky and so we all need to hope that occurs. The final game vs the Colts...no shot for Jags. Indy has playoff seeding still going on and they will not be swept by the Jags.

All in all we have a damn good shot here at going 0-16...I'm feeling good that we will accomplish our goal. It would be nice tho if the Jags could beat the Bears tho so we can don't have too worry about what Belichek does in week 17.

We shalt see soon enough.

A first occurred for me this past weekend in my longtime 23 year old fantasy league I've been in and I need to vent a tiny bit.

We have the basic normal scoring most of us have....1 point per 10 yds rush/recieving...1 point per 25 yds passing. 6 points for any TD. 3 point bonus for 100 yd rush or receiving and 300 yards passing. The usual as I said.

My team scored 173 friggen points this past weekend and yet I lost...not a misprint!!. I had never lost a game in my 23 years doing this #### that I ever lost a game when I scored even 150+ points let alone 170+.

I not only lost but I got blown out as I lost by 26 points as my opponent scored 199 points. I'm still incredulous that this occurred. Too score so many points is rare indeed as typically if you score as many as my team did, you win 99.9999% of the time. 

Has that ever happened to any of you guys...to score so many points in not just any game but a playoff game when pretty much every one on your team produces and does their job and yet it's not enough? I know this is fantasy and #### happens but this kind of ####....wow...I'm still licking my wounds about this as this one hurts alot. I'd rather lose by 26 when my team does #### than go off like I did and still get blown out.

OK vent over...thx for reading...lol

Ok gentleman, revised "Scared" Rankings for Jets taking into account all that occurred this past weekend with 5/5 being petrified and 1/5 being a cakewalk.

Rams this Sunday I'm at 1/5. Should be easy peasy for LA as they have both the division still up for grabs with Seattle and they are still in the mix for home field throughout playoffs just one game back of the Packers and Saints. Not a chance in hell they take the Jets lightly. Should be a 31-10 type of pasting.

Browns I'm at 2/5. I was alot more worried about this game until I saw last night's game vs Ravens. Baker once again was great and so I'm convinced now...he's really good and won't be pulling a Fitzpatrick and imploding vs the Jets. Also with Browns at 9-4 tied with Indy and with the Ravens and Titans both at 8-5, Browns need to keep their foot on the gas pedal and will not take Jets lightly as they need to continue to win. Yeah Cleveland is a cursed franchise but it looks like they've turned the corner as that team is uber talented. They should take care of Jets fairly easily.

Patriot game to end the season I'm at 3.5/5. Nothing has changed as the Patriots represent the biggest threat to us having Trevor Lawrence behind center next season. I still would be really surprised if the hoodie benched Cam and the rest of his starters because it's not his style nor MO to do that. He plays all out even when his team has a home field in playoffs locked up and so why would he do it now? Well, his hatred for the Jets and the fact if he can screw them and not have to deal with Lawrence twice a year for next decade does worry me. The Patriots not being a good football team worries me even more as even the putrid Jets could beat the Patriots even if Bill doesn't rest his starters. So yeah, this game worries me the most no question.

Real quickly...the Jags have the Ravens this Sunday. NO chance in hell the Jags are winning that game as Ravens saved their season last night and will be playing for their playoff lives once again. The following game vs the Bears gives us Jet fans the best chance of the remaining games for the Jags to win. The Bears will still be 7+ point favorites and probably will win but the Bears could implode especially Trubisky and so we all need to hope that occurs. The final game vs the Colts...no shot for Jags. Indy has playoff seeding still going on and they will not be swept by the Jags.

All in all we have a damn good shot here at going 0-16...I'm feeling good that we will accomplish our goal. It would be nice tho if the Jags could beat the Bears tho so we can don't have too worry about what Belichek does in week 17.

I'm at a 5.5 out of a 5 for week 17.  I'm not buying any BB might lose on purpose narrative, but hell, we almost beat them last time.  That should frighten the bejesus out of us. NE stinks. They might rest some guys. The one huge advantage that we have is Gase vs BB. It probably won't take BB a half to adjust to us this time, but still. It's going to be frightening nonetheless.

I'm at a 5.5 out of a 5 for week 17.  I'm not buying any BB might lose on purpose narrative, but hell, we almost beat them last time.  That should frighten the bejesus out of us. NE stinks. They might rest some guys. The one huge advantage that we have is Gase vs BB. It probably won't take BB a half to adjust to us this time, but still. It's going to be frightening nonetheless.
I want a fast forward button. Really. I'm going to be on absolute pins and needles for that one. 

A first occurred for me this past weekend in my longtime 23 year old fantasy league I've been in and I need to vent a tiny bit.

We have the basic normal scoring most of us have....1 point per 10 yds rush/recieving...1 point per 25 yds passing. 6 points for any TD. 3 point bonus for 100 yd rush or receiving and 300 yards passing. The usual as I said.

My team scored 173 friggen points this past weekend and yet I lost...not a misprint!!. I had never lost a game in my 23 years doing this #### that I ever lost a game when I scored even 150+ points let alone 170+.

I not only lost but I got blown out as I lost by 26 points as my opponent scored 199 points. I'm still incredulous that this occurred. Too score so many points is rare indeed as typically if you score as many as my team did, you win 99.9999% of the time. 

Has that ever happened to any of you guys...to score so many points in not just any game but a playoff game when pretty much every one on your team produces and does their job and yet it's not enough? I know this is fantasy and #### happens but this kind of ####....wow...I'm still licking my wounds about this as this one hurts alot. I'd rather lose by 26 when my team does #### than go off like I did and still get blown out.

It happens more often than you think.  Last year I was in a $1k league where I finished in the top 3 in scoring every week  and started out 1-9.  In another league last year, I led the league in scoring, but finished in 7th place because every team I played finished with its highest score of the year. Even the worst teams.  No joke. I wanted to call Father Karras for an exorcism.

It happens more often than you think.  Last year I was in a $1k league where I finished in the top 3 in scoring every week  and started out 1-9.  In another league last year, I led the league in scoring, but finished in 7th place because every team I played finished with its highest score of the year. Even the worst teams.  No joke. I wanted to call Father Karras for an exorcism.
Ouch. Guess if you play long enough and in enough leagues, you'll catch those beats and remember them. That it happened so recently must sting. Worst playoff loss I ever had was getting trucked by a Jamaal Charles train that never looked back. My team was fine. Hit projections. All that. His just went off behind 50 or 60 from the skinny dude. I tipped my cap. Blowout.

agree with all of this - Rams should be able to handle the Jets easily....I feel much better about the Browns.....it all comes down to the Pats....praying that Minshaw beats the Bears so we dont have to sweat it out!  

Brutal - but does happen.....sometimes other teams just go off.....at least you will not dwell on some random benching decision that cost you the game!  

Speaking of Baker - it was more depressing watching him and Lamar last pm....both looked like franchise QBs along with Allen.....of course in the best QB draft in past decade 3 out of 5 look to be legit franchise QBs and Jets had 2d pick of all of them and whiffed.  

Kiddnets said:
As for tank of meter - the more I think about it the more I worry....there is a huge difference between the 1st and 2d pick....Fields is just not in the same ballpark as Trevor. 
Don't do it, because I want to convince myself that it isn't so. I'm watching highlights as we speak. This isn't fair. We at least play in the United States all year.

Speaking of Baker - it was more depressing watching him and Lamar last pm....both looked like franchise QBs along with Allen.....of course in the best QB draft in past decade 3 out of 5 look to be legit franchise QBs and Jets had 2d pick of all of them and whiffed.  
Baker looked like utter garbage last year. He's in a real Baker-friendly system with tons of talent on the O-Line and at RB and WR. You'd have a hard time convincing me (still) that he's that far ahead of where Sam Darnold would be if the situations were different.

Baker looked like utter garbage last year. He's in a real Baker-friendly system with tons of talent on the O-Line and at RB and WR. You'd have a hard time convincing me (still) that he's that far ahead of where Sam Darnold would be if the situations were different.
Thats what good coaching will do.....he went up and down the field at will against a pretty good Balt D.....Sam hasnt come close to a game like that in 3 yrs

Thats what good coaching will do.....he went up and down the field at will against a pretty good Balt D.....Sam hasnt come close to a game like that in 3 yrs
That running attack really went up and down against the Balt D at will. Hunt and Chubb and that O-Line are beasts. Baker had really one throw of note to Donovan Peoples-Jones.  At least from what I saw.

eta* But yeah, I totally agree about the coaching aspect of it. We're pretty much in agreement, my post was just pointing out what I saw as the impetus for moving the ball.

I had to edit "continental United States" because what if the Pro Bowl is again in Hawaii and one of our guys actually makes it? Wouldn't that be a laugh.

Ouch. Guess if you play long enough and in enough leagues, you'll catch those beats and remember them. That it happened so recently must sting. Worst playoff loss I ever had was getting trucked by a Jamaal Charles train that never looked back. My team was fine. Hit projections. All that. His just went off behind 50 or 60 from the skinny dude. I tipped my cap. Blowout.
You remember it, but it doesn't sting at all. You just move on to new seasons and new frustrations. I've won so much in the past that I think the fantasy gods have conspired to humble me lately.

Two years ago in the $1K playoffs, I lost all 5 of my RBs in the first month of the season. I somehow went on a roll in the second half of the season. In the first playoff game, I set the highest score of the season, but my opponent that averaged 30 points/gm less than me came back and beat me to get the new high score of the season. Of course, the following week I then broke the highest score of the season in the consolation round. Fantastic, third place. It's just how it is recently.

This year I lost all of my RBs (eg. CMC and Barkley) and WRs to injuries in almost every league. I still had some pretty good teams. Hell, on my best team, I had a 20 point lead and Deebo going into this past Sunday afternoon. Deebo gets hurt on the first play and I lost to a guy with Diggs. unreal. It's the one week that I took Hunt out of my lineup.  It's fantasy football 2020.

I still don't think he looks very good. e.g. Look at that pass to Hunt. If he placed it in just about any better position, that would have been a td. I've seen him miss that wheel route several times this year. At least it was completed this time. That said, he looks way better than Darnold.

You want to talk about coaching up a player. Look at how good Allen looks under Daboll.  I could tell in his rookie season that Allen was a winner, but he didn't look good at all throwing the ball. Look at him now. Imagine Allen with Gase. Yikes. Would Daboll make Darnold look good? Maybe.

Baltimore was missing 2 of its CBs to injury. The defense hasn't really been good lately thanks to Covid and injuries. Hell that D gave up 42 points, but point taken about coaching.

I still don't think he looks very good. e.g. Look at that pass to Hunt. If he placed it in just about any better position, that would have been a td. I've seen him miss that wheel route several times this year. At least it was completed this time. That said, he looks way better than Darnold.
I watched Waldman (either on Twitter or in his article) say that ball placement is an issue with Mayfield. It still looks like it. I'm thinking of the play where Njoku had room to run after the catch but Baker threw it behind him causing Njoku to have to stop on the ball and essentially ruin all of his forward-moving momentum. Little things like that can cost ten or so yards. He threw a bunch of worm burners that got bailed out because of penalties, too.

I'm not sold on Baker at all.

Baltimore was missing 2 of its CBs to injury. The defense hasn't really been good lately thanks to Covid and injuries. Hell that D gave up 42 points, but point taken about coaching.
Sam has faced defenses that were just as beat up and has looked putrid...Baker has shown much more than Sam.  Part of it is absolutely weapons and coaching but last pm Baker looked like a big time QB and kept them in the game....have yet to see that from Sam

AND it cost us multiple 2nd rounders for the privilege to whiff. 

I am a Jets fan.  We can't develop QBs.  It is proven.  We got lucky with Namath for a couple of years and then he stunk.  Here's the 1st/2nd rounders I can think of:

Todd

O'Brien

Clemens

Pennington

Sanchez

Nagle

Geno

Hackenberg

Darnold

That doesn't include all the failed mid-late QBs we've drafted.

There is something about playing for this garbage franchise that causes it to ruin good QBs, or at least make them underperform.  Maybe it's a dysfunctional organization.  Or the NY media.  Or fans who have grown to expect losing and demand garbage QB play.  We will ruin Lawrence, or he will get hurt and never be the same.  I think the best course is to trade the pick and build a team around a veteran QB.  Wentz, Ryan, Hell bring back FitzMagic - That's our only hope.  I've officially gone over to the Dark Side.

It's more like it's good that I was playing golf...lol
I could never do it no matter how bad the Jets are. I have to watch live unless there is some emergency situation and it is just not possible for me to watch. Baseball is very different, though. It is easy to miss a game here or there.

I am a Jets fan.  We can't develop QBs.  It is proven.  We got lucky with Namath for a couple of years and then he stunk.  Here's the 1st/2nd rounders I can think of:

Todd

O'Brien

Clemens

Pennington

Sanchez

Nagle

Geno

Hackenberg

Darnold

There is something about playing for this garbage franchise that causes it to ruin good QBs, or at least make them underperform.  Maybe it's a dysfunctional organization.  Or the NY media.  Or fans who have grown to expect losing and demand garbage QB play.  We will ruin Lawrence, or he will get hurt and never be the same.  I think the best course is to trade the pick and build a team around a veteran QB.  Wentz, Ryan, Hell bring back FitzMagic - That's our only hope.  I've officially gone over to the Dark Side.
Maybe the Jets should run the wishbone, then?

Also Namath never stunk until his final two years with the Jets. Pennington did not stink either.

Todd

O'Brien

Clemens

Pennington

Sanchez

Nagle

Geno

Hackenberg

Darnold

Interesting discussion - Ill play

Namath - would have been much better if he didnt fall apart - he was a bit before my time but watching him before his knee injury was amazing....guy was a legit dual threat...his knees grew worse and his play with it....still a HOF and we would all be thrilled to have a QB with his skills/career

Todd - lot of pressure being the heir to Broadway Joe and from Alabama....he wasnt a complete bust as he should have gotten them to the Super Bowl is Shula wasnt allowed to cheat. 

Kenny O - I would be thrilled to have a Kenny O type QB - guy was a gunslinger and had a cannon....downside was took too many risks and was a statue who got crushed behind poor OLs....but all in all he was a success for a late 1st rd QB...his biggest sin was not being Marino

Nagle - 2d rd bust - should have been Favre which is gut wrenching as Favre was the #1 pick on their board and they couldnt find a way to trade up 3 spots!  Then they assitant GM leaves and trades for him the following yr - cant make that up....Nagle was limited as well - while he had a cannon he had no touch and couldnt pick up the O or read defenses.  

Clemens - 2d rd QBs usually dont pan out - not sure you can blame the Jets for not developing

Chad - Id say he was a very good QB who was developed well by the team.  They took their time with him and he could have been an All Pro for years but his injury to his throwing shoulder, which was already on a weak passing arm, was too much to overcome.  

Sanchez - You cant exactly call him a bust - we can only dream of Sam taking the team to 2 AFCCGs - and while he was a game manager he made some huge throws in big moments....he fell apart when they didnt replace some weapons and Tebow crushed his confidence.  He had a chance to redeem in a few places and fell flat so maybe it was just a medium talented QB prospect who played as best he could with what he had....I wouldnt say the Jets ruined him per se or didnt develop him...he was limited as a QB

Geno - see above re 2d rd QBs - he was limited as hes shown since

Hack - See above re 2d rd QBs = he was just bad

Darnold - only one Id say that got the worst support/development but that was Gase/Mac....plus he has shown so little that at some point it shifts that he isnt that good

So in my opinion - the history isnt as bad as the rep - all the 1st rd picks besides Sam were solid and developed....Sam can be blamed on Mac not supporting and having an awful coach in Gase who will be gone.....its not fair to blast them for not developing 2d rd QBs who are obviously limited prospects and taken then for a reason.  

When was the last great KC QB before MAhomes?  A franchise is terrible until they get the right people in place....I think JD is well respected in the league...Gase is a joke...replace him with a solid coach/staff and this becomes a very good place for a a qB with all the assets in olace.  

Interesting discussion - Ill play

Namath - would have been much better if he didnt fall apart - he was a bit before my time but watching him before his knee injury was amazing....guy was a legit dual threat...his knees grew worse and his play with it....still a HOF and we would all be thrilled to have a QB with his skills/career

Todd - lot of pressure being the heir to Broadway Joe and from Alabama....he wasnt a complete bust as he should have gotten them to the Super Bowl is Shula wasnt allowed to cheat. 

Kenny O - I would be thrilled to have a Kenny O type QB - guy was a gunslinger and had a cannon....downside was took too many risks and was a statue who got crushed behind poor OLs....but all in all he was a success for a late 1st rd QB...his biggest sin was not being Marino

Nagle - 2d rd bust - should have been Favre which is gut wrenching as Favre was the #1 pick on their board and they couldnt find a way to trade up 3 spots!  Then they assitant GM leaves and trades for him the following yr - cant make that up....Nagle was limited as well - while he had a cannon he had no touch and couldnt pick up the O or read defenses.  

Clemens - 2d rd QBs usually dont pan out - not sure you can blame the Jets for not developing

Chad - Id say he was a very good QB who was developed well by the team.  They took their time with him and he could have been an All Pro for years but his injury to his throwing shoulder, which was already on a weak passing arm, was too much to overcome.  

Sanchez - You cant exactly call him a bust - we can only dream of Sam taking the team to 2 AFCCGs - and while he was a game manager he made some huge throws in big moments....he fell apart when they didnt replace some weapons and Tebow crushed his confidence.  He had a chance to redeem in a few places and fell flat so maybe it was just a medium talented QB prospect who played as best he could with what he had....I wouldnt say the Jets ruined him per se or didnt develop him...he was limited as a QB

Geno - see above re 2d rd QBs - he was limited as hes shown since

Hack - See above re 2d rd QBs = he was just bad

Darnold - only one Id say that got the worst support/development but that was Gase/Mac....plus he has shown so little that at some point it shifts that he isnt that good

So in my opinion - the history isnt as bad as the rep - all the 1st rd picks besides Sam were solid and developed....Sam can be blamed on Mac not supporting and having an awful coach in Gase who will be gone.....its not fair to blast them for not developing 2d rd QBs who are obviously limited prospects and taken then for a reason.  

When was the last great KC QB before MAhomes?  A franchise is terrible until they get the right people in place....I think JD is well respected in the league...Gase is a joke...replace him with a solid coach/staff and this becomes a very good place for a a qB with all the assets in olace.  
I had similar thoughts when I first saw this.  Todd wasn't bad. O'Brien was no Marino, but he was pretty good. Pennington was pretty good until the shoulder injury. Sanchez clearly regressed as he lost confidence. The rest were bums. 

Darnold is the one up for the most debate.  Which came first, the chicken or the egg? Did he suck first or did he get ruined? He had lots of warning signs, but lots of potential.  I think the coaching staff and management did him no favors (multiple coaches, bad systems, bad support on offense: line/receivers), but he hasn't been able to overcome the same limitations that he always showed going back to college (poor decision making, turnovers, reading the defense). 

At least Flacco looked ok under the same system/support limitations...although Flacco has looked bad, too at times (but he had his own issues like coming off injury, no camp and reps, and learning a new system).

Anyway, in theory, Lawrence or whomever gets drafted will be in a better spot than Darnold. He will have a stud like Becton with a year of experience.  Mims with a year (or half year) of experience. The o-line will be better than the line Darnold had in his first 2 years. They will add to the o-line this year. They will probably add another WR whether it's in FA or the draft. They will probably add another TE and RB. Most importantly, the new QB won't have Gase.

If I'm JD, I try to add Judon or some pass rusher in FA.  Maybe use one draft pick on CB (the only defensive position I might address in the draft). The rest should be spent on building the offense.  Get another WR in FA or the draft. Add a RB in the draft.  Get a guard in free agency. Just keep building the o-line and some weapons on offense for our new QB.  They can go back to drafting defensive players the following year, but get that core in place for the offense starting this off-season.

I had similar thoughts when I first saw this.  Todd wasn't bad. O'Brien was no Marino, but he was pretty good. Pennington was pretty good until the shoulder injury. Sanchez clearly regressed as he lost confidence. The rest were bums. 

Darnold is the one up for the most debate.  Which came first, the chicken or the egg? Did he suck first or did he get ruined? He had lots of warning signs, but lots of potential.  I think the coaching staff and management did him no favors (multiple coaches, bad systems, bad support on offense: line/receivers), but he hasn't been able to overcome the same limitations that he always showed going back to college (poor decision making, turnovers, reading the defense). 

At least Flacco looked ok under the same system/support limitations...although Flacco has looked bad, too at times (but he had his own issues like coming off injury, no camp and reps, and learning a new system).

Anyway, in theory, Lawrence or whomever gets drafted will be in a better spot than Darnold. He will have a stud like Becton with a year of experience.  Mims with a year (or half year) of experience. The o-line will be better than the line Darnold had in his first 2 years. They will add to the o-line this year. They will probably add another WR whether it's in FA or the draft. They will probably add another TE and RB. Most importantly, the new QB won't have Gase.

If I'm JD, I try to add Judon or some pass rusher in FA.  Maybe use one draft pick on CB (the only defensive position I might address in the draft). The rest should be spent on building the offense.  Get another WR in FA or the draft. Add a RB in the draft.  Get a guard in free agency. Just keep building the o-line and some weapons on offense for our new QB.  They can go back to drafting defensive players the following year, but get that core in place for the offense starting this off-season.
Cant agree with this enough....

Flacco's success in the same system with the same crappy coach and supporting staff is a big indictment on Sam...he should have showed much more than a journeyman QB at this point....its looking more and more like he's just not that good....

Its time for a complete offensive heavy offseason....the defense is adequate and is getting Mosely back next year....add 1 big time pass rusher and a few avg corners and the D is good enough to win....

The offense needs way more support....

OL - I'd add one top FA OL in FA (Thuney/Scheriff) and draft a top center in the 1st 3 rds- that unit would then be top 15 which is very respectable......

WR - add one of the top WRs in FA like ARob and re-sign Perriman for cheap....a WR corp of A-Rob,  Mims, Crowder and Perriman is very solid

RB - I know Etienne has been mocked to the Jets a lot at the end of the 1st rd....Id wait until the 2d or 3rd for a RB....should be able to get a top one there

If they focus resources on the O and add a solid offensive staff with Lawrence they can be respectable real quick....add one more offseason and they should be playoff ready.  

A couple of interesting tidbits from today.

1. Gase admits that he let Chris Johnson down. However if you listen to what he said, he said they could have won if penalties weren't taken or if we didn't let balls sail over our heads when they shouldn't have.  Lol, no accountability. Blaming the players for their miscues. Gase said that he has been trying to figure out what the problem is. Hmm. let me help you. Find a mirror. Freaking bum.

2. Trevor Lawrence was interviewed by Dan Patrick today. Patrick says that poor Trevor could get drafted by the lowly Jets and how he would have no input on where he goes. Lawrence says that he's up to any challenge and would be ok with rebuilding teams. He doesn't care about stats and only cares about winning. That he would help any team win. The Patrick prods him again about the Jets asking him if Lawrence has watched how bad the Jets are. Lawrence says that he hasn't watched the Jets this year, but is up to any challenge.

Good coaches take responsibility for mistakes including some mistakes made by others.  While many bad coaches also do that, ONLY bad coaches deflect and blame others.  

Users who are viewing this thread