What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2023 New York Jets: Bye Bye (2 Viewers)

I know you walked this back after we jumped up for Johnson, but honestly Sauce and Wilson at 4 and 10 when you look at how crazy everyone went soon after for CBs and WRs (not to mention trades for Hollywood and AJ Brown) I think we did great here.  I was also holding out the hope that we could get Karalaftis in the 2nd, but I'm more than happy with the JJ steal.
I definitely like what they've done now that the round is over, it's impossible not to. My biggest thing was that I felt like passing on Edge at 4 & 10 meant you weren't getting an impact one and that would have been unacceptable to me. I was wrong obviously and I should have trusted JD more. I still like the Wilson pick the least out of the 3 but my aversion to WR inside the top 10 is more about opportunity cost than anything. If you told me before the draft that they'd end up with those 3 players I wouldn't have cared what order they were picked in. Probably should have exercised a bit more patience.  🤓

I really like the NYJ 1st round draft.  They got 3 potentially elite players.  Trading up to get Johnson without giving up a future 1st was great.

My personal pick...if he makes it to them...Breece Hall. You need 2 guys and he brings a different skill set than Carter.
It would be hysterical if they now moved Corey Davis and their second this year and next for Deebo.

But in all seriousness Gall would make this offense scary- so long as Zach makes his leap.

Being able to trade back in to get Jermaine Johnson just shows what a masterful job JD has done accumulating draft assets - the fact they still have pick 38 coming up is gravy.
A problem to worry about another day will be when these 6 - 1st round picks in 3 years all need new contracts around the same time. If even 4 of the 6 are worthy of 2nd contracts from the Jets it will be a great problem to have though.

A problem to worry about another day will be when these 6 - 1st round picks in 3 years all need new contracts around the same time. If even 4 of the 6 are worthy of 2nd contracts from the Jets it will be a great problem to have though.
Well they'll get 5th year options and Franchise Tags to use, so that could be 5-6 years away. Anyway that would be a good problem if all three players become stars.

Well they'll get 5th year options and Franchise Tags to use, so that could be 5-6 years away. Anyway that would be a good problem if all three players become stars.
Absolutely. Finding a way to pay all of your good players and fit them under the cap isn't a "problem" the Jets have had to deal with in a long time. I was just thinking of what potential downside having made so many 1st round picks might have. It's absolutely amazing what Douglas did with the Adams and Darnold trades and then in turn with those assets. Here's hoping it translates on the field.

2 Michael Carters, a Garrett to go with our Zach Wilson - will we now double up on B. Hall's and pair up Breece with Bryce?

I wonder if they keep Bryce Hall at this point.  There have been some rumblings that they dont LOVE him and now they have a decent amount of depth at the position (Sauce, Reed, Carter, Echols...I guess they like Guidry too).

He's cheap and I think he's good, but you never know how other teams around the league value him. Wouldn't SHOCK me if some team give up a mid-round pick for a 24 year corner on a minimum deal that has shown the capability to start and play fairly well)

I wouldn't do it, as cheap depth is golden (and again....I think he's a good player). But I'm not Douglas and there has been some smoke that they're not enamored with him. Remember when they cut Bless Austin out of nowhere last year?

Jets selected Ohio State WR Garrett Wilson with the No. 10 overall pick in the 2022 NFL Draft.

Wilson (6'2/183) emerged as a 20-year-old in 2020, accounting for 34% of Ohio State's receiving yardage and earning a first-team All-Big Ten selection. In 2021, he followed up with a 70-1,058-12 campaign while competing for targets with senior Chris Olave and sophomore sensation Jaxon Smith-Njigba. Wilson still managed to post a 27% yardage share and a 32% TD share, earning second-team All-Big honors. He declared for the NFL after his true junior season. With 4.38 speed, Wilson should be able to get behind NFL defenses, but he profiles as an all-around receiving threat rather than a pure deep threat. Wilson played 73% of his snaps in the slot in his breakout 2020 before moving out-wide for 83% of his snaps in 2021. He was at 3.0 YPRR or better in both seasons, and versatility is a major strength of his game. He should have no trouble doing whatever is asked of him in the NFL, projecting as a more athletic Calvin Ridley. For the Jets, look for Wilson to bookend Corey Davis outside with Elijah Moore and Braxton Berrios working on the inside. It's yet another weapon for 2021 No. 2 overall pick QB Zach Wilson.

What a night - JD hit a home run....not used to all these accolades.  Of course these players need to produce but on paper JD had a great night. 

Sauce - good value at #4 - CB is considered one of the premium positions and not easy to get - when the Jets were a force Revis was a key part...hoping this kid can be as well.  Instant huge upgrade to DBs and pass D thats been torched for years

Wilson - I wanted Jameson but trust JD - kid reminds me of Santonio in his prime days with Pitt - Jets now have Elijah, Wilson, Davis and Berrios along with 2 solid young TEs.  Big time weapons for Zach - they gave him what they didnt do for Darnold, Geno, Sanchez, etc - on paper this is the most talented set of Jet weapons since MArshal/Decker - much needed

Johnson - cherry on top of the sunday - I was expecting him at #4/10 - to get him without giving up a premium pick (essentially dropping down in the 3rd) was highway robbery.  DL with him, Lawson and JFM is no longer a weakness.  

I cant believe they still have a high 2d and a 3rd rder left - big needs in my eyes is LB and safety - but JD will be true to his chart and go BPA - I can see a RB to pair with Carter (Hall would be awesome) or a developmental OL for Becton/Fant insurance.  Very excited!  

Also happy that all the Deebo nonsense could end - there are report out there that JD offered #10 and SF rejected - I think the AJ Brown shows that there was no need to add any sweeteners - he's SFs problem now.  Good luck!  

As for AJ - when I saw the deal go down I was a bit shocked - I figured JD would be in on that but he has had injuries and I think JD loves Wilson....having him on a cheap deal vs paying Brown $25M...Im ok with it!  

Also happy that all the Deebo nonsense could end - there are report out there that JD offered #10 and SF rejected - I think the AJ Brown shows that there was no need to add any sweeteners - he's SFs problem now.  Good luck!  

As for AJ - when I saw the deal go down I was a bit shocked - I figured JD would be in on that but he has had injuries and I think JD loves Wilson....having him on a cheap deal vs paying Brown $25M...Im ok with it!  
I'm a big fan of AJB - but $25MM a year on a guy that misses a lot if games isn't ideal. I think Wilson has just as much upside.

I won the grand prize  trip from the Jets to attend the first rd of the Draft and it has been an amazing experience here in Vegas, what a first round!  

they need to have it here every few years just a great setting, things have changed quite a bit since 1996 when I attended the Keyshawn draft at MSG.

This has been a pretty great trip!

I won the grand prize  trip from the Jets to attend the first rd of the Draft and it has been an amazing experience here in Vegas, what a first round!  

they need to have it here every few years just a great setting, things have changed quite a bit since 1996 when I attended the Keyshawn draft at MSG.

Wow, congrats and keep enjoying.

thats awesome - hope tonight continues the good work!  

Only draft I went to the Jets didnt have a 1st rd pick.....showing my age but they gave it up for Curtis Martin!  Worth it!  

favorite burger so far?

favorite burger so far?

thats awesome - hope tonight continues the good work!  

Only draft I went to the Jets didnt have a 1st rd pick.....showing my age but they gave it up for Curtis Martin!  Worth it!  

Wow, congrats and keep enjoying.
 Thanks Guys, not going tonight can’t subjugate my wife to another rd, lol, she enjoyed the heck out of the first round though.  It was a true spectacle.

‘Favorite burger was at the draft, this was in the vip section at the draft as all the food and drinks were included with the prize. Also got a Kyle Hamilton draft ball signed, such a good time.

heading to the Beatles love show tonight, my daughters gonna keep me posted on all the picks, hope the magic continues!

Just to put this to bed and give a reality check to all who didnt realize there is a new sheriff in town and believed those ridiculous speculative offers for Deebo....love JD!  

Brian Costello

@BrianCoz

The Jets offer for Deebo Samuel was the No. 10 pick and a 5th-rounder in exchange for Samuel and the 49ers' second-rounder, per

@mattbarrows

. 49ers clearly wanted more for Deebo.

Just to put this to bed and give a reality check to all who didnt realize there is a new sheriff in town and believed those ridiculous speculative offers for Deebo....love JD!  

Brian Costello

@BrianCoz

The Jets offer for Deebo Samuel was the No. 10 pick and a 5th-rounder in exchange for Samuel and the 49ers' second-rounder, per

@mattbarrows

. 49ers clearly wanted more for Deebo.
I'm honestly surprised he even offered the 10, but I get the market and all. I wouldn't have been upset if that deal happened, but I like what transpired better.

ETA: I didn't see that JD wanted a second back. Guy has balls. If he somehow turns this franchise around he'll be a celebrity in this town forever.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm honestly surprised he even offered the 10, but I get the market and all. I wouldn't have been upset if that deal happened, but I like what transpired better.

ETA: I didn't see that JD wanted a second back. Guy has balls. If he somehow turns this franchise around he'll be a celebrity in this town forever.
49er fans on reddit up in arms being insulted - but broken down it comes out to slightly better than what Tenn got for AJ Brown....love the balls on JD - he refuses to budge of his value meter.  

Nice first round. Actually, awesome, if you're a Jets fan that remembers.

Would have loved OT/WR (Jameson Williams), but I really like Sauce and like what they did. Garrett Wilson looks great in highlights. We'll see what happens. 

All in all, couldn't think of a better first round, really. Let's hope the guys pan out. That's all we can hope for at this point. 

49er fans on reddit up in arms being insulted - but broken down it comes out to slightly better than what Tenn got for AJ Brown....love the balls on JD - he refuses to budge of his value meter.  
Posted in the Deebo thread - 

Someone can check the math (since I could be wrong) but the Jets offer for Deebo was worth more than what Miami gave up for Hill and Hill is a much better player. Not sure how it can be categorized as a weak or terrible offer. 

Jets offer - 1300 + 33 = 1333

Miami offer - 640 + 400 + 52 + 112 (max but could be lower) + 28 (max but could be lower) = 1232

I wanted an OL at four, but this was a totally competent, well-run draft. Despite some people ragging on trading up to get Hall (He cost a fifth? What are these people talking about?) it stayed totally within professional norms and doesn't seem like it was subject to owner interference. 

Also, even though I wanted an OL, my gut was pulling for us to take Sauce, so it's not really even a complaint. I just worry that a need didn't go addressed with Becton's gambit looming. 

Glad to have been a Jets fan the past few days. Let's hope it stays this way through the offseason. 

I said it in the Matt Araiza dedicated thread (I started that one) and I'll mention it here. We have two fourth round picks. I'd love to see the Jets use it on him. He's a special teams weapon that's probably worth an extra ten yards net field position on average over your best punter in the league. This guy is insane. He's right there for the taking. Why not? 

Ruckert pick was kinda meh after signing 2 TE's in free agency. But not terrible. Would have preferred a S or Lb (or an olineman) but it's not like any names were jumping off the page.

Anyone knocking the Hall pick (or the trade up....its a 5th rounder....who cares) is nuts, IMO. 

Skill players are looking great. How’s the o-line?
See my concerns upthread. The O-line was passable last year, even without Becton. Barring anything catastrophic, it should be comparable. It would be nice if Becton returned to the Jets and returned to form. That would be nice. The signing of Laken Tomlinson was huge, as the team lost Morgan Moses. So swap that out and keep going. 

Can’t remember seeing a draft this good. Sheesh. 
I hope that it's an immediate influx of talented guys who have success in the league. Yeah, consensus whiffs on guys every year, but at least the Jets aren't drafting a fullback or blocking tight end in the first round. That's a step up from years prior. Just a really professional draft so far. Nice to see. 

Users who are viewing this thread