What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*** 2023 NFL Preseason Game Observations Thread *** (1 Viewer)

Bigsby looked good on his 6 carries, aside from the fumble. Ridley too on his 3 catches vs Miami's first team defense, minus the DTs. The JAX offense could be really good with Etienne & Bigsby, Ridley & Kirk & Jones, and Engram, plus Lawrence.

Bigsby bad fumble at the goaline after an impressive Jag drive
May slow down the Bigsby momentum - we’ll
see if Pederson holds it against him.
He's back in on the next drive.
He’ll still get opportunities, but it’s the high leverage situations that can be at risk if he continues to turn the ball over.
Etienne might be seeing more RZ carries until some trust is regained.

That Rams facemask should probably be an ejection.

ETA: Hey, they did...good. Any OL worth his salt would be trying to knock him out, so an ejection is probably the best for him anyway.

Game may be stopped with 7 mins left. Daewood Davis, WR, was carted off with head-neck injury. Strapped to cart, concern about paralysis.

Game may be stopped with 7 mins left. Daewood Davis, WR, was carted off with head-neck injury. Strapped to cart, concern about paralysis.
McManus and Wilkins, union reps, and coaches talking to officials. 8:32 left.

Last edited:
Game over in JAX. "Teams have elected to not continue to play. Therefore, the game is suspended." No word yet about Daewood. @rockaction

Better have your fantasy football constitutions ready, SoBeDad. Thanks for the notice, by the way.

Game has ended. I know it's preseason but they are making this a new norm.

Yep. Not sure if you're aware (or even care, really) but I started a thread about it after the New England game was stopped and the announcers were asking if the players were continuing when there was a neck injury in the Jets/Tampa game.

This is becoming the new norm and I don't know when that was decided. It's awfully tough to stop the moving trains. I personally don't like it. There's too much at stake to just start calling games.

Game over in JAX. "Teams have elected to not continue to play. Therefore, the game is suspended." No word yet about Daewood. @rockaction

Better have your fantasy football constitutions ready, SoBeDad. Thanks for the notice, by the way.

Yep. Not sure if you're aware (or even care, really) but I started a thread about it after the New England game was stopped and the announcers were asking if the players were continuing when there was a neck injury in the Jets/Tampa game.

This is becoming the new norm and I don't know when that was decided. It's awfully tough to stop the moving trains. I personally don't like it. There's too much at stake to just start calling games.
I'm ungood at searches apparently would you post a link to, or bump that thread?

TIA

But I think it speaks to the psychology of the players. The stake, the importance of the game, is not a major consideration.

But I think it speaks to the psychology of the players. The stake, the importance of the game, is not a major consideration.

I meant the stakes in the ancillary industry that is dependent on the outcome of the game being complete and the perception that the outcome is a fair one. In other words, all the gambling money that the NFL has decided to partner with has a huge stake in the game now. The importance of the game and its W/L outcome is not the important part that I'm getting at here.

And if the players don't care how the general public feels and how the moneyed interests (the corporate sponsors and others) feel about what's important, then the gravy train stops for them, too. Football isn't any bigger than the public's willingness to buy it.

Watson looks really bad. I don't think I want any browns shares in redraft this year. I like Chubb but if the QB is killing drives all game idk how many opportunities he will get.
Watson had a 115.4 QB ranking, but you say he looked REALLY BAD.
Mmmkay.
5-10-92 with one TD, one fumble and one rush yard on three attempts.

The QB ranking formula seems out of whack.

No one should be entirely discouraged about Watson & the Browns but they haven't done anything to encourage anyone either.

Watson looks really bad. I don't think I want any browns shares in redraft this year. I like Chubb but if the QB is killing drives all game idk how many opportunities he will get.
Mmmkay.

No one should be entirely discouraged about Watson & the Browns but they haven't done anything to encourage anyone either.
The so-called fumbles were on hand-offs, which I thought were on the RBs. The TD pass to Njoku was perfect. TBD but I think Watson is back.

Mmmkay.
If you looked at one more post before foaming at the mouth you could see I said his next drives looked better. I still want nothing to do with him.

Mmmkay.

Why are multiple people calling it QB ranking in succession like it's just a normal thing to say?

Mims Jr looking good
Its good that he's able to look after that facemask. Especially with the injury luck Broncos WRs seem to be having.

On the 1st series, Mims had like 3 steps of separation on a double move, but Stidham didn't see him and checked down.
Watch a highlight reel of Mims in college and you'll see him wide open on almost every play. I remember seeing a stat that he beats man coverage almost 100% of the time.

Mmmkay.

Why are multiple people calling it QB ranking in succession like it's just a normal thing to say?
.38, .39 whatever it takes.

My problem with Watson is that there will probably be 2 or3 horrific weather games this year that will limit his scoring.

The Broncos looked like a well coached team last night.

Stidham (QB) looked fantastic.

Jaleel Mclaughlin (RB) might be a last pick in your draft dart throw. This situation reminds me of when Phillip Lindsay came out of nowhere and had a great rookie season. I think this kid has more to offer. He can run between the tackles and catch the ball. Who knows how healthy J Williams will be coming back from injury. There has been a constant drum beat through out the offseason here.

Albert O (TE) looked amazing. He was no lock to make the team but this performance will help. He looked like a top 5 TE out there.

Drew Sanders (LB) This guy is going to be a big time play maker.

I meant the stakes in the ancillary industry that is dependent on the outcome of the game being complete and the perception that the outcome is a fair one. In other words, all the gambling money that the NFL has decided to partner with has a huge stake in the game now. The importance of the game and its W/L outcome is not the important part that I'm getting at here.

And if the players don't care how the general public feels and how the moneyed interests (the corporate sponsors and others) feel about what's important, then the gravy train stops for them, too. Football isn't any bigger than the public's willingness to buy it.

Thanks for the clarification.

I just wonder what the alternative is? I don't think the perception that a gambling outcome is fair or not outweighs forcing athletes back onto the field after a heinous injury. Besides, I don't think that could happen. Clearly the NFL players have decided that if the risk to them is significant, they will not be forced on to the field immediately.

Perhaps a compromise is that if a game can't be finished on the scheduled day/night, there is a designated way to complete unfinished games? Although that might be unwieldy. Or perhaps the NFL can implement rules for what happens after a serious injury - when is the game called, is there a winner (similar to the MLB rain rules), or give players a timed space to refocus after such incidents.

I just wonder what the alternative is? I don't think the perception that a gambling outcome is fair or not outweighs forcing athletes back onto the field after a heinous injury. Besides, I don't think that could happen. Clearly the NFL players have decided that if the risk to them is significant, they will not be forced on to the field immediately.

Perhaps a compromise is that if a game can't be finished on the scheduled day/night, there is a designated way to complete unfinished games? Although that might be unwieldy. Or perhaps the NFL can implement rules for what happens after a serious injury - when is the game called, is there a winner (similar to the MLB rain rules), or give players a timed space to refocus after such incidents.
The risk to them is ALWAYS significant. They know this every time they step foot on the field. That's why I'm not sure of this sudden urge to end the game when a potential significant injury occurs.

My problem with Watson is that there will probably be 2 or3 horrific weather games this year that will limit his scoring.
In a 14 team league, where most teams have a backup QB, I paired Watson with Purdy who was the 2nd backup QB taken. Between the 2 of them, there should be good weather or a good choice almost every week. Purdy had top 10 overall numbers in his 7 starts. Both QBs have risks, but good upside.

At least you said he looked better on later drives. I've never been a fan of him, the Browns or Amari Cooper but somehow ended up with Amari Cooper in every league. I am very nervous.

The risk to them is ALWAYS significant. They know this every time they step foot on the field. That's why I'm not sure of this sudden urge to end the game when a potential significant injury occurs.
It's 4th quarter of an exhibition game where it is likely almost every player on the field won't make the 53 man roster. There's probably like 3,000 fans even left in the stadium by this point. I am sure there are some preseason games where if the coaches could just end after the 3rd quarter, they would

It's 4th quarter of an exhibition game where it is likely almost every player on the field won't make the 53 man roster. There's probably like 3,000 fans even left in the stadium by this point. I am sure there are some preseason games where if the coaches could just end after the 3rd quarter, they would
I hope that's all it is.

I hope that's all it is.
Me too

OK. Let me explain it from my perspective as a sport psychologist who works with these men on a regular basis.
One of the important features of cognition is something known as salience. There are literally thousands of stimuli a player can attend to at any moment. One of the crucial features of expertise is bring able to attend to the "right" stimuli at the correct moment. Those cues the athlete is paying attention to at a given moment are the ones with high salience.
Although you are correct that all athletes KNOW of the risks in their sport, it is NEVER optimal to give those thoughts high salience. Indeed, elite athletes go to elaborate lengths to minimize any risks through training and preparation.

However, when a fellow competitor is badly injured (not a run of the mill injury, but the type that includes bodily paralysis, for example), the ability to block that thought is shattered. In fact, the thought of injury is now highly salient.
Our research tells us that this is a dangerous state of attention for an athlete to be in. It increases the risk of injury very significantly. And unfortunately, this cannot be blocked out or suppressed easily. It takes time to process.
That's why, all things considered, it is better for an athlete not to continue to play in such a situation. We recommend an opportunity to process and reset.

But let me emphasize - it is usually only a shocking injury that penetrates the cocoon of focus that these athletes have. Their minds are as highly trained as their bodies. A tegular injury will be dealt with unless there are mitigating factors (such as a close friend being injured).

It's a complex situation, and, yes, our response has evolved, just as it has, for example, with concussion. We know far more about the brain than we did even 10 years ago. But - we have a long, long way to go.

OK. Let me explain it from my perspective as a sport psychologist who works with these men on a regular basis.
One of the important features of cognition is something known as salience. There are literally thousands of stimuli a player can attend to at any moment. One of the crucial features of expertise is bring able to attend to the "right" stimuli at the correct moment. Those cues the athlete is paying attention to at a given moment are the ones with high salience.
Although you are correct that all athletes KNOW of the risks in their sport, it is NEVER optimal to give those thoughts high salience. Indeed, elite athletes go to elaborate lengths to minimize any risks through training and preparation.

However, when a fellow competitor is badly injured (not a run of the mill injury, but the type that includes bodily paralysis, for example), the ability to block that thought is shattered. In fact, the thought of injury is now highly salient.
Our research tells us that this is a dangerous state of attention for an athlete to be in. It increases the risk of injury very significantly. And unfortunately, this cannot be blocked out or suppressed easily. It takes time to process.
That's why, all things considered, it is better for an athlete not to continue to play in such a situation. We recommend an opportunity to process and reset.

But let me emphasize - it is usually only a shocking injury that penetrates the cocoon of focus that these athletes have. Their minds are as highly trained as their bodies. A tegular injury will be dealt with unless there are mitigating factors (such as a close friend being injured).

It's a complex situation, and, yes, our response has evolved, just as it has, for example, with concussion. We know far more about the brain than we did even 10 years ago. But - we have a long, long way to go.
Thank you for this insightful information. I have always believed that the best way to assuage your fears is to get back on the horse immediately, rather than letting those fears fester. I am no sports psychologist and have never played professional sports, but I have faced trauma—just my two cents. I realize the old-school methods are not in line with new-age thinking.

Users who are viewing this thread