What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*** 2023 NFL Preseason Game Observations Thread *** (2 Viewers)

Jim Irsay on the Colts telecast when I desperately want to be watching other games. But the homers are stuck interviewing this guy.

Deebo in mid-season form, Purdy looking good too.

Best thing about that drive was Brock tucking it on 2nd and goal and taking the sack. Don't try to be a hero and put your arm in danger.

Of course, I'm completely speaking via PTSD bias.

Very nice TD run by Tyjae Spears.

Henry is amazing, but they've got to find some snaps for Spears, he's a playmaker. I would guess 3rd downs?
He was one of if not the best values in rookie drafts this year. He's picked up where he left off at Tulane. SPARK PLUG!

Edit - 2023 version of Rhamondre

49ers 3rd round kicker missed 2 FG last week, and just missed a PAT.

Yeah, I'm not as quick as some to dismiss this as just a blip on the radar. 49ers can't carry two kickers, and were already talking about Zane Gonzalez kicking against Denver because he'd earned the reps or some coachspeak like that.

For those not seeing Seattle/Dallas, Zach Charbonnet just broke a 30-yard run, but more than anything it illustrated the difference between him and Walker. Walker has a 70-yard TD on that run.
Who are these announcers? My standards aren't high but they are horrific. Gotta watch this on mute.

Many local beat guys on radio think Skylar Thompson > Mike White. I agree, but they paid White so he's a lock to make the team. Thompson had some nice throws and decisions on that TD drive. On his first drive a bomb hit Wilson's hands.
I didn’t watch the game, but it seems that Skylar is QB2, despite the huge White contract. Anyone else drawing the same conclusion?
I believe it’s inverse order of last week for a more fair competition.

Anyone tell the Niners just to skip the third round or trade down or something? Sermon, TDP, Moody, and there are apparently others (I cannot name them).

Walker has a 70-yard TD on that run.

Safety had the angle. It was nowhere as bad as it sounds. He didn't get run down from behind. He didn't get through the second level cleanly.
Didn't say it was a bad run, just highlighting the difference, and why Walker's starting job is pretty secure in my opinion. Walker outruns that angle in my opinion, or cuts back when the Safety commits to that angle and outruns anyone else.

All I'm saying is that Walker brings an explosiveness that Charbonnet isn't close to. That's really valuable to the Seahawks offense. Sure, there are some more -2 yard runs than you'd like, where Charbonnet might gain a couple, but outside of GL stuff, I'm not sure Seattle will care.

All I'm saying is that Walker brings an explosiveness that Charbonnet isn't close to. That's really valuable to the Seahawks offense. Sure, there are some more -2 yard runs than you'd like, where Charbonnet might gain a couple, but outside of GL stuff, I'm not sure Seattle will care.

I agree. I've personally never been sold on Charbonnet as a dynamic back. I just didn't want to argue about it with people that felt uniquely passionate and certain about it one way or the other. I think Walker brings a level of explosiveness, as you say, that Charbonnet can't match. But the thing that gives me pause is that second-round capital. I think they're going to use Charbonnet fairly frequently.

I'm not sure Walker houses that run, though. Seemed like there was a guy almost playing safety on Charbonnet and that he had an angle on him. Perhaps he could have cut it back or destroyed the angle, but his own blocker was in the way at one point, I thought, preventing the cutback.

Some Saturday takeaways:

It sure seems like Michael Wilson is starting for the Cardinals over Rondale Moore, who appears to be a slot only guy.

Starting to get a little concerned about Greg Dulcich, what appeared to be an interesting sleeper, looks like it could be another "if only" situation.

I'd slow down the Puka hype. Yes he was rested, but so were Van Jefferson (who McVay loves for whatever reason) and Tutu Atwell. Maybe Puka gets the #3 job, but he might also be the #4, in an offense with arguably the biggest target hog in the NFL.

Jake Ferguson had the night off, between that, camp reports, and his nice game last week, sure seems like he's got the #1 TE job sewn up in Dallas. Wouldn't be shocked if they didn't miss Schultz at all, though the production will be lower with Cooks on board.

Just a random thought, if Tank Bigsby had been a 2nd rounder, and Zach Charbonnet had been a 3rd rounder, would we (the fantasy community) like Walker more than Etienne? I'm really having a hard time seeing the difference beyond draft capital spent on the #2 guy, and as my rankings showed, I'm as guilty of it as anyone, but I can't help but wonder if that's just being silly.

On the flip side of RBs dealing with rookie competition, Khalil Herbert sitting out tells me he's the very clear #1 RB in Chicago, as he should have always been. Possible he's being very undervalued, as he's balled out whenever he's been given the work. Foreman/Johnson have looked solid too, that backfield is probably better without Montgomery, who just was a bad fit with Fields.

Lastly, I'm starting to think the right answer to which KC WR to draft is none of them. Kelce/Mahomes or nothing. Great situation for keeping defenses on their toes, bad for fantasy owners.

I thought Rice looked good, although I didn't notice him playing with the first team offense.
I’m pretty sure when Rice did his damage with Buechele the first team offense was the same other than mahomes and kelce.

Rice grew into that game. He dropped one from Mahomes from what I can remember. He’s getting open and can run after the catch for sure. He went up a few notches for me. I like this kid alot.

I know he's a somewhat raw rookie, so he needs the reps and all, but man, I'm really worried Quentin Johnston is essentially gonna be redshirted. He seems like he's well behind Josh Palmer right now, and zero threat to Allen/Williams, factor in a RB who should catch 60-90 passes, and a TE who should get 40+, and I'm not sure he should even be drafted in some leagues, and I've seen him as high as round 7 sometimes.

Users who are viewing this thread