What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2024 Detroit Lions: Draft complete. (10 Viewers)

not that I bet, but....

I see the line moved to pick 'em

def would take the under (46.0)

matchup wise, I like our chances to win the battles in the trenches - on both sides of the ball

they just need to keep playing Lions ball
  • limit the penalties
  • take care of the ball
  • create pressure and generate turnovers
  • grind it out on offense

Goff & Co won't win it for them this week IMO - time for the defense to step up and provide a good all around performance

Jets want this as badly as we do, should be a good test for both teams

perfect football weather forecast - mid-30s, sunny, wind around 13 mph (nothing that will affect either passing or kicking too much)

Five highest-graded defenders (with enough snaps): DE Aidan Hutchinson -- 91.5, LB Alex Anzalone -- 83.4, CB Jerry Jacobs -- 71.4, DL John Cominsky -- 69.9, DL Isaiah Buggs -- 69.5

Stellar game from Hutch, great to see the growth. Anzalone is one of my least favorite Lions but lately he has been sucking less. Jacobs is our best cover corner & got his first sack - underrated player.

Five-lowest graded defenders (with enough snaps): CB Jeff Okudah -- 41.3, DL Josh Paschal -- 50.9, DL Alim McNeill -- 53.7, DE Romeo Okwara -- 54.7, S Kerby Joseph -- 58.2

Okudah was out all week with a flu bug & had no energy, gutted out a few dozen snaps: I’d argue his 4th & 1 stop on Cook tilted the game. Vikings were stopped, Board has a neutral zone infraction. MIN brought the offense back out. Two plays later Jamo scored his first TD.

Five highest-graded offensive players (with enough snaps): QB Jared Goff -- 83.8, WR DJ Chark -- 76.7, RB Justin Jackson -- 74.4, OL Taylor Decker -- 74.4, OL Penei Sewell -- 72.5

Decker haven’t allowed a pressure in 4 of his last 5 starts.

Five lowest-graded offensive players (with enough snaps): TE Brock Wright -- 41.8, RB Jamaal Williams -- 51.0, RB D’Andre Swift -- 54.9, OL Logan Stenberg -- 56.6, OL Jonah Jackson -- 59.2

here’s why Jamo will see more snaps

he’s 180 and just went flying into that safety, great block

Justin Jackson TD run

same play different angle; JJ has impressive burst. especially love how Brock Wright gets the seal on the edge

I don't feel great about our chances on this one. Goff has not been good on the road, especially on a near freezing day with some wind. We will either need a key turnover or have Jameson Williams explode for a couple of TDs. I would put the Jets as a 3 point favorite.

Winning on the road against a good defense is one of the hardest things to do. If they do win I think it will be close and low scoring. Something like 20-17.

yeah sure sounds good man....wait....what the **** did we just do?!

here he says he got distracted when Ben asked about throwing to Penei

I think he's goofing them, just playing along

on another show earlier - Stoney & whoever per Reddit, it's not one I listen to - he said he wasn't aware the crowd was doing the wave because he was locked in

that's kind of a tip-off that he's just bullshitting here

IMO he's pretty self-aware and he was just playing McAfee bc he knows he'll eat up the comedic stuff

IDC either way, it worked - nice to see the Lions have things go their way

been a lot of chatter on the Vikings subreddit and around Twitter that the Vikings lost valuable time bc JJ was called out (on like the 5th angle they look at you can finally see he's on the balls of his feel and the heel may have never hit the white)

coulda woulda shoulda - change that one play, butterfly effect

but Detroit was winning that game - if they needed another TD, they would have gotten it

we've been on the wrong side of those kind of games way too many times, Vikings were in desperation mode and barely clinging to staying within shouting distance

it's like when we lost to the 49ers by 8 last year or the opener v the Eagles when we lost by 3 - seems like we were so close, the reality is the other team was gonna close it out, you change a Lions drive the opponent responds a different way

very tough game coming up, but I think they will rise to the challenge

Justin Jackson TD run

same play different angle; JJ has impressive burst. especially love how Brock Wright gets the seal on the edge

Don't miss out on the Jamo block on that play. He completely pancaked a linebacker clearing the way for the TD. It was covered in this clip at the 11 minute mark.

It’s right above what you quoted in the same post Jon

here’s why Jamo will see more snaps

he’s 180 and just went flying into that safety, great block

love that kid, he loves ball

So what do you guys need here to get in. Seattle looks like they won't get in as they have a brutal schedule coming up. Wash plays NYG, so not sure who you cheer for there, but Wash seems like the better team so maybe you just hope they win and let them have the 6 seed and hope to catch the Giants. Or vice versa.

If you win out I'm sure you'd make it.
Combined record of final 4 opponents is 20-32. Very doable to win out. Next week is the big one though.
Yeah, winning out is likely needed.
Can they get in at 9-8? Yes. But they're effectively 2 games back of Seattle, and 1.5 (so, again, really 2) behind Giants and Commanders. So 9-8 means that two of SEA/NYG/WAS need to go 1-3 at best. And then Detroit probably still needs a few minor things to break right. It's not entirely ridiculous given the remaining schedules for these teams, but it's still asking for a lot.

Yeah he’s definitely playing and joking along regarding those two big calls. Funny stuff.

Yeah he was too distracted by the wave to realize what Ben called, but also told Goff on the headset "make sure Penei knows to get down and stay in bounds after he gets the first."

He's how his perceived, big meathead. Just being a showman and playing along for yucks.

Remember he said earlier this year "Hey, if other coaches want to underestimate me, that's a good thing."

I bet his players are howling watching people like Orlovsky lose their minds because the Lions have a head coach who was distracted by the crowd in game.

Yeah he’s definitely playing and joking along regarding those two big calls. Funny stuff.

Yeah he was too distracted by the wave to realize what Ben called, but also told Goff on the headset "make sure Penei knows to get down and stay in bounds after he gets the first."

He's how his perceived, big meathead. Just being a showman and playing along for yucks.

Remember he said earlier this year "Hey, if other coaches want to underestimate me, that's a good thing."

I bet his players are howling watching people like Orlovsky lose their minds because the Lions have a head coach who was distracted by the crowd in game.

I believe Pat McAfee said just before signing off it was meant as a joke.

DC was on Dan Miller show saying they told Sewell to make sure he stays in bounds, but DC said "You never know what it going to happen when guys who don`t touch the ball much get their hands on it, they want to make a play"

Sorry I got a little excited when I saw the interview and posted without reading that you scooped me.

DC was on Dan Miller show saying they told Sewell to make sure he stays in bounds, but DC said "You never know what it going to happen when guys who don`t touch the ball much get their hands on it, they want to make a play"

Sorry I got a little excited when I saw the interview and posted without reading that you scooped me.

all good brother man

they are a loose team aren't they - Ben Johnson said in his presser last week "this is a really fun place to come to every day"

Can Lions Really Make a Run at the Playoffs? (NFLN)

The only team to qualify for the playoffs after starting 1-6 was the 1970 Cincinnati Bengals

I hope so. There are 3 teams I hate the most: Minnesota Viqueens, Chicago Bums and Dallas Cowgirls.

I've always like the Lions even though they play in the same division as the Packers. Hope they put the smackdown on the queens this weekend.

In addition to the Lions needing to take care of their own business, they could sure use some help tonight from the 49ers against Seattle. Just a huge game because Seattle holds the tiebreaker against us.

Think we need pull for a Denver win this week to get them to 4 wins

Going to be tough for Arizona to get a 5th win

Cardinals have signed David Blough off the Vikings practice squad

from one Hard Knocks to another, Blough's gonna have to get his actor's equity card soon

Hey Colt - new rule, no more swearing in the QB room

In addition to the Lions needing to take care of their own business, they could sure use some help tonight from the 49ers against Seattle. Just a huge game because Seattle holds the tiebreaker against us.

Lions playoff chances go up 15% if the 49ers win tonight

The last couple weeks, the bandwagon has started to fill up. I can't remember any time in the Stafford era where we had this much positivity from national media. On the fandom side, I swear [every] NFL casual I interact with this year tells me the Lions are their second favorite team.

I'd rather poke my eyeballs with needles than endure 97.1 the Ticket or Woodward sports programming, but I see the clip headlines on YouTiube. I read 4/DetroitLions daily, see virtually every Lions related Tweet, read every Lions article in the Freep-MLive-Detroit News-Oakland Press dustbin.....it's not the same as being local. But it feels like Lions fans are more excited about this team than any squad since peak Barry/Fontes years.

Agree or disagree?

Last edited:

from one Hard Knocks to another, Blough's gonna have to get his actor's equity card soon

The last couple weeks, the bandwagon has started to fill up. I can't remember any time in the Stafford era where we had this much positivity from national media. On the fandom side, I swear NFL casual I interact with this year tells me the Lions are their second favorite team.

I'd rather poke my eyeballs with needles than endure 97.1 the Ticket or Woodward sports programming, but I see the clip headlines on YouTiube. I read 4/DetroitLions daily, see virtually every Lions related Tweet, read every Lions article in the Freep-MLive-Detroit News-Oakland Press dustbin.....it's not the same as being local. But it feels like Lions fans are more excited about this team than any squad since peak Barry/Fontes years.

Agree or disagree?
Agree and this is a big game for both teams who are on the rise. It's not a make or break game, but it sure would soar them higher. The JETS are on my radar as a team I am interested in watching with M White at the helm. Good move by them. Garrett Wilson is balling out. But so are the Lions on many ways. C'mon, a little more Swift.

The last couple weeks, the bandwagon has started to fill up. I can't remember any time in the Stafford era where we had this much positivity from national media. On the fandom side, I swear [every] NFL casual I interact with this year tells me the Lions are their second favorite team.

Agree or disagree?
Agree.

Jets game and Panthers game are two big tests for Goff. Outdoors on the road against good defenses in must win situations will give us an idea if we can trust Goff going forward and certainly will have influence on how the Lions will look at the QB position in the upcoming draft. Win or lose he needs to play well.

Its hard to expect any NFL team to win two games in a row against a tough opponent on the road. Lions have benefitted from home cooking for the last 3 games and have built a lot of momentum going forward and are about the healthiest I can remember them being since the start of last season.

But both the Jets and Carolina (assuming Panthers beat Pitt) are working to stay in the playoff race and their teams and crowd should be fired up. Lions have little or no margin for error.

I would like to point out I bought my ticket for the bandwagon on September 9th :lol:

It is true, if you watch any Lions videos on YouTube, doesn't matter if it is the NFL channel, the Lions channel, or some random fantasy channel, every other comment is either "I am an X fan but love the Lions this year" or "I am a fan of x team the Lions just beat but am rooting for you guys".

They may not be the best team this year but they are competitive. Lost by a field goal to Eagles week 1, lost by a field goal to Bills on Thanksgiving, split with Vikings. Five of their seven losses have been by one score.

It is December and they have improved on both sides of the ball as people have gotten healthy and more experienced. The staff changes mid season have shown results. They are hot when it matters most.

Running the table is a tall task but certainly possible, it will probably come down to coaching and focus more than talent. And a little luck.

Lions vs Bengals in Phoenix has a nice ring to it.

But both the Jets and Carolina (assuming Panthers beat Pitt) are working to stay in the playoff race and their teams and crowd should be fired up. Lions have little or no margin for error.

Yeah no doubt - Panthers actually have been playing better and have a decent defense.

Task at hand....Jets have excellence on every level of their defense. The 3 starting CBs are all having a great year, Sauce is elite, but as a unit they are playing at a high level. Gives you a glimpse of what the Lions might be able to build on that side with focused draft and a quality FA signing.

White is inefficient and he'll make throws that remind you why he is and will always be a career backup. They had Zach meet the meeting yesterday and he hit all his marks. Weekly Saleh brings up he'll play again this year and he's working hard to earn opportunities. At some point they'll find a reason to roll back to Wilson. Kid is a trashbag but they're stuck in sunk cost fallacy and not ready to move on yet.

Bam Knight is a pretty effective banger with fresh legs. No wiggle, he's a north south take what is there kind of back, but if you try to arm tackle you're not bringing him down.

Garrett Wilson is special. He's already at a Diggs-Jefferson level, just doesn't have the QB yet. Okudah will be back and I expect them to bracket him. LaFleur will spread it around but Garrett is the it factor.

Well coached team. Robert Saleh got served a **** salad with them banking on Zach but he's a great leader. Team over stars, he's got them all rowing in the same direction. One of the best young HC in the game. When Hall comes back next year they are going to seriously challenge for the division, been doing a good job of roster construction IMO.

Other than not having a horseshoe stuck up their butt, NYJ are a vastly better team than the Vikings. Ideal weather for December. Should be a good test for two up and coming teams to measure where they are at.

I would like to point out I bought my ticket for the bandwagon on September 9th :lol:

It is true, if you watch any Lions videos on YouTube, doesn't matter if it is the NFL channel, the Lions channel, or some random fantasy channel, every other comment is either "I am an X fan but love the Lions this year" or "I am a fan of x team the Lions just beat but am rooting for you guys".

They may not be the best team this year but they are competitive. Lost by a field goal to Eagles week 1, lost by a field goal to Bills on Thanksgiving, split with Vikings. Five of their seven losses have been by one score.

It is December and they have improved on both sides of the ball as people have gotten healthy and more experienced. The staff changes mid season have shown results. They are hot when it matters most.

Running the table is a tall task but certainly possible, it will probably come down to coaching and focus more than talent. And a little luck.

Lions vs Bengals in Phoenix has a nice ring to it.

We made friends with a new couple from Cincinnati in our church this fall, and first thing he said to me was "I hear you're a Lions fan. They're my second favorite team."

Our pastor is from Alabama and since we drafted Jamo he's jumped on board. I bet southern Alabama fans never even consider having a favorite NFL team lol.

All are welcome. Admittedly we have no idea how fans of successful franchises are supposed to act, but appreciate the support. Only requirement is you hate the Packers.

I mean....FTP.

I think Detroit is surging at the right moment and can break the 'current' longest playoff win drought in the league.

Ten longest playoff win droughts in the league:

Broncos ('15) Cardinals ('15) Panthers ('15)
Giants ('11)
Jets ('10)
Bears ('06)
Washington ('05)
Raiders ('02)
Dolphins ('00)
Lions (1991!!!)

Love to see them make the playoffs and snap that streak.

We are more optimistic than in a long long time, I think mainly because it’s the actual core foundational parts of our club that feel different.

Shiela took over and immediately seemed more proactive
We’ve got what seems like a really good GM and one that appears to draft very well
A HC that seems to vibe with the GM and is the type of character who wants his teams to play with an ethos that can be admired. Plus, he’s extroverted and infectious as a leader unlike Patricia/Caldwell/Schwartz.
Due to GM, we have many young players that look really good.

As much as I’ve loved the national focus on us and it’s positivity. And I really do. I will admit to finding some of the narrative bordering on condescension at times. We are 6-7 yet I’ve heard multiple times things along the lines of Lions fans must be so happy because they have won some games unlike the last few decades and other such similar comments.

I think this has done something of a wee bit of a disservice to the likes of Caldwell, Stafford etc because we have had some pretty good teams over the last 12 years, ones that came close to winning divisions and really should have done so. That made the playoffs but lost on the road. Not much, but still, some teams that were pretty good.

Having said that, and to bring it back around the opening comments, perhaps this team feels better to us because it IS about the GM and HC and not some great players, which makes me think the ceiling is higher and the upswing can be of a more longer and sustained type

Goff on the road has been terrible. I think he is like 2TDs and 7 INTs on the road. Goff really needs to show he can play well outside in the elements.

This is really a must win if we want to keep playoff hopes alive. Seattle and Giants and/or Washington would have to fall off a cliff playing some teams that have very little to play for.

Not at practice Thursday:

Fullback Jason Cabinda (ankle)
guard Kayode Awosika (ankle)
linebacker Derrick Barnes (knee)
defensive lineman Michael Brockers
cornerback Mike Hughes
receiver Quintez Cephus
Edge Aidan Hutchinson

Can’t find any info, Hutch hasn’t been on the injury report & was practicing yesterday

We are more optimistic than in a long long time, I think mainly because it’s the actual core foundational parts of our club that feel different.

Shiela took over and immediately seemed more proactive
We’ve got what seems like a really good GM and one that appears to draft very well
A HC that seems to vibe with the GM and is the type of character who wants his teams to play with an ethos that can be admired. Plus, he’s extroverted and infectious as a leader unlike Patricia/Caldwell/Schwartz.
Due to GM, we have many young players that look really good.

As much as I’ve loved the national focus on us and it’s positivity. And I really do. I will admit to finding some of the narrative bordering on condescension at times. We are 6-7 yet I’ve heard multiple times things along the lines of Lions fans must be so happy because they have won some games unlike the last few decades and other such similar comments.

I think this has done something of a wee bit of a disservice to the likes of Caldwell, Stafford etc because we have had some pretty good teams over the last 12 years, ones that came close to winning divisions and really should have done so. That made the playoffs but lost on the road. Not much, but still, some teams that were pretty good.

Having said that, and to bring it back around the opening comments, perhaps this team feels better to us because it IS about the GM and HC and not some great players, which makes me think the ceiling is higher and the upswing can be of a more longer and sustained type

Actually Schwartz had a chance to have a long career here. The players liked him and thing were trending up after taking over an 0-16 team Stafford blew 3-4 games down the stretch in his last year otherwise he would have made the playoffs and been extended.

Caldwell was decent and took over a talented team but he was just keeping the seat warm but Matty-Patty was a terrible HC. I guess that is good because it led the Lions to where they are now. First time ever I feel "somewhat" confident this will be a long term run.

I probably said the same thing last week and might say the same thing next week, but I'll say it anyways: this is the most important game the Lions have played in years. It's because it's a road game against another team with a recent losing history trying to get to the playoffs, a team with a very good defense, and most important a road game. Just a massive game.

To say I'm excited would be an understatement.

I probably said the same thing last week and might say the same thing next week, but I'll say it anyways: this is the most important game the Lions have played in years. It's because it's a road game against another team with a recent losing history trying to get to the playoffs, a team with a very good defense, and most important a road game. Just a massive game.

To say I'm excited would be an understatement.

I'm right there with you. And depending on whether they take care of business at home v the Steelers, it's going to be a similar feeling next week. Panthers were 2-7, then won 3 of 4, including a massive upset in Seattle. Atlanta has lost 4 of 5. Tampa Bay has shown no signs of righting the ship; they'll be tied for the AFC South lead after the Bengals steamroll them. If it goes like most expect, Week 16 is huge game for both the .500 (we hope) Lions and the resurgent Panthers.

Last time the Lions won 3 straight road games was 2020. This is amazing but that is their second longest Away Game streak all-time lol. Club record is 6 - last two of 2010 and first four of 2011, part of their club best 9 game winning streak. Winning out would take them to 5 straight road games....yeah, odds are very long that will happen.

Task at hand....one week at a time....

I was so nervous for the Vikings game. Felt exhausted afterwards. Can't imagine how this week will be bc added anxiety of first round of the playoffs. But I care about the Lions 1000x more than my stupid magic football squad.

Last edited:
Hutch missed today due to unspecified illness, along with Brockers and Mike Hughes.

Team has been getting hit with a bug the last few weeks - Okudah was the biggest casualty last week - that has been going around the league.

He is irreplaceable if he isn't strong enough to go on Sunday.

Question for Lions homers. According to Jake Ciely, since Week 8, the Lions are the worst in the league against slot receivers. Does that sound right to you? Lions defense seems to be playing better lately overall, but they still might be weak in this one area. He's suggesting Elijah Moore for the Jets would be a strong play this week.

Question for Lions homers. According to Jake Ciely, since Week 8, the Lions are the worst in the league against slot receivers. Does that sound right to you? Lions defense seems to be playing better lately overall, but they still might be weak in this one area. He's suggesting Elijah Moore for the Jets would be a strong play this week.
Nobody could fault you for playing Moore here whether it worked out or not.

Last edited:

These are the game stats for the WR that has the highest % ppg from the slot for each Det opponent that week. It isn't exact because the slot % is based on the season and not the specific game vs Det (don't know where to find those stats). Meaning not all of the stats were from the slot but reasonable to assume a close % to that listed was from the slot vs Det. Imperfect conclusion: start your slot receivers vs Det.

wk 14: Jefferson 11/233/0 (35% slot), Osborn 5/38/1 (64% slot)
wk 13: Kirk 6/104/0 (70% slot)
wk 12: McKenzie 6/96/1 (93% slot)
wk 11: James 3/48/1 (70% slot)
wk 10: Mooney 4/57/0 (54% slot)
wk 9: Lazard 4/87/1 (56% slot)
wk 8: Hill 12/188/0 (35% slot), Waddle 8/106/2 (34% slot)

Elijah Moore on the season has 41% of his points from the slot, Garret Wilson has 35% of his points from the slot.

If someone knows where to find slot stats per game maybe they can chime in.

Last edited:
Nobody could fault you for playing Moore here whether it work out or not.

Yeah Moore has played starters snaps two weeks in a row & White peppered him with 10 targets last week. Lions outside CBs (Jacobs and Okudah) are decent but slot has been a revolving door of mediocrity, usually filled by Will Harris - he’s had decent games but earlier in his career he was woefully bad.

Monitor Hutch. Nasty bug going through the team rn and if he doesn’t practice Detroit could be in trouble. The line moved fm pick to -1.5 which gives NYJ an implied team total of 23.0, 9th best for the week. IMO White, Knight, G Wilson are all starts, Elijah and Conklin are fine as a Flex or streamer.

Users who are viewing this thread