What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2024 Detroit Lions: Draft complete. (2 Viewers)

Lions 7-7 vs Jets all time. Last time the teams met was in 2018 when the Jets blew out the Lions at home in 2018 48-17. That game was the first game of the season and official start of Quinn/Patricia era. It didn't get any better in the next three years.

Lions have a history of playing low scoring games against the Jets @ NY in December with the playoffs being at stake.

In 1994 the Lions won 18-7. Finished 9-7 went to playoffs.

In 1997 the Lions won 13-10. Finished 9-7 went to playoffs. This was the game that Barry went over 2,000 yards

In 2000 the Lions won 10-7. Finished 9-7 did not make playoffs.
History repeats itself. But I'm not going to say SOL.

Giants
Vs. The Commodores

Who do we need. Giants or Commies?
Another tie >.> In a way, seriously, since then though each of them would be effectively 8-6, we'd beat either on tiebreakers at 9-8 (/8-7-2) or 10-7 (/9-6-2)
As others have pointed out (waves to BobbyLayne): Giants playing MIN, IND, and PHI. Washington with SF, CLE and DAL. So both should lose next week, will have beatable teams Wk17, and face divisional opponents Wk18 whose playoffs spot will likely be locked in by then.
Commies with the slightly tougher road (assuming wk18 means nothing for PHI), but Giants more prime to freefall. It's probably better for Giants to win, and then root for Dallas to lose next week, so that the Cowboys might worry more about their spot Wk 18. Philly would have to lose out to worry about not having #1 seed now. But the "easiest" road is for the Lions to win out and have the Seahawks lose once.

When the Lions were 1-6 Campbell and the Lions program were being compared to the rebuilding Giants and Jets and not in a good way. Both the Giants and Jets were showing marked improvement with very good records.

Not taking anything away from those programs but since then the Lions have now shown much improvement and are building momentum including wins over the Giants and Jets on the road.

Giants
Vs. The Commodores

My vote is for the Giants. We need to go for the team we think are surest to lose at least one more.
Wouldn't you rather the better team/team most likely to win more remaining games to win that game?
That depends. How many do you expect Seattle to lose. Will the Lions go 3-0 or 2-1? Do you want the 6th or 7th seed? The real preference is for a tie. Otherwise there is benefit either way.

Giants
Vs. The Commodores

My vote is for the Giants. We need to go for the team we think are surest to lose at least one more.
Wouldn't you rather the better team/team most likely to win more remaining games to win that game?
That depends. How many do you expect Seattle to lose. Will the Lions go 3-0 or 2-1? Do you want the 6th or 7th seed? The real preference is for a tie. Otherwise there is benefit either way.
Good questions. I think at this point you can't hope for 6/7. Gotta just go in. Actually think 7 would be better, but that's a moot point.

I think Seattle is totally done.

D Line dominated that game start to finish

Secondary looked like absolute trash

ugly win but we take it and move on to Carolina

Lions 7-7 vs Jets all time. Last time the teams met was in 2018 when the Jets blew out the Lions at home in 2018 48-17. That game was the first game of the season and official start of Quinn/Patricia era. It didn't get any better in the next three years.

Lions have a history of playing low scoring games against the Jets @ NY in December with the playoffs being at stake.

In 1994 the Lions won 18-7. Finished 9-7 went to playoffs.

In 1997 the Lions won 13-10. Finished 9-7 went to playoffs. This was the game that Barry went over 2,000 yards

In 2000 the Lions won 10-7. Finished 9-7 did not make playoffs.
History repeats itself. But I'm not going to say SOL.
Good to see you say that. 22 year old stats mean nothing.

Last edited:
Panthers - Bears - Packers. Still need to run the table but it just got one game easier. 🦁
Yes it did. However yesterday proved that every game is a battle and even seemingly weak teams can show up any given Sunday. Washington having SF, Cleveland, and Dallas provides some comfort. NYG with MIN, IND, PHI won’t be easy either. May come down to a photo finish. We sweep and it is hard to picture us not getting in.

Observations...

-The old Lions would have lost yesterday and there would have been a lot of coulda woulda shoulda
-Like Dan Campbell said "The city is tired of excuses" and right now in Year 2 of the rebuild
They are sitting at .500 with everything on the table and 3 weeks left, 3 games to go, 3 more bites at the apple
-Team is starting to look loaded at some positions and also some bubbling superstars, still more draft resources on the way in 2023
WR when Jameson is up to full speed...ARSB/Jameson, Chark/Reynolds and the rest are pretty solid role players, Goff has a lot to work with when he drops back.
RB-1/2 punch at RB right now that can make big plays and slam the ball up inside when need be
Hutch and Okudah are exciting rising stars on the defense. I know Okudah can get burned sometimes but I think he lost a lot if not all his rookie season
He's still learning is what I am saying.
The OL is pretty strong as well, helps with all the skill spots.

at Car...don't sleep on these cats
CHICAGO...lost 7 in a row but they have a weapon at QB
at Green Bay...if you win a couple more and climb your way to 9-7, Aaron Rodgers awaits.

10-7 or Bust!
Cheers!

Last edited:
Observations...

-The old Lions would have lost yesterday and there would have been a lot of coulda woulda shoulda
-Like Dan Campbell said "The city if tired of excuses" and right now in Year 2 of the rebuild
They are sitting at .500 with everything on the table and 3 weeks left, 3 games to go, 3 more bites at the apple
-Team is starting to look loaded at some positions and also some bubbling superstars, still more draft resources on the way in 2023
WR when Jameson is up to full speed...ARSB/Jameson, Chark/Reynolds and the rest are pretty solid role players, Goff has a lot to work with when he drops back.
RB-1/2 punch at RB right now that can make big plays and slam the ball up inside when need be
Hutch and Okudah are exciting rising stars on the defense. I know Okudah can get burned sometimes but I think he lost a lot if not all his rookie season

at Green Bay...if you win a couple more and climb your way to 9-7, Aaron Rodgers awaits.

10-7 or Bust!
Cheers!
Aaron Rodgers isn't going to be playing week 18, most likely

Was I the only one saying "OK Badgley couldn't even get close on his 54 yarder. There are almost no kickers in the league who are going to be able to kick a 58-yarder in these condition . . . Oh ****, the Jets have Greg Zuerline#!#!#@@!"

Panthers - Bears - Packers. Still need to run the table but it just got one game easier. 🦁
Yes it did. However yesterday proved that every game is a battle and even seemingly weak teams can show up any given Sunday. Washington having SF, Cleveland, and Dallas provides some comfort. NYG with MIN, IND, PHI won’t be easy either. May come down to a photo finish. We sweep and it is hard to picture us not getting in.

Observations...

-Like Dan Campbell said "The city if tired of excuses" and right now in Year 2 of the rebuild

10-7 or Bust!
Cheers!
Aaron Rodgers isn't going to be playing week 18, most likely

If GB wins out, and that includes beating Detroit, they have a shot a the wild card. So we could see Rogers.

Now Hurts will certainly be sitting out most of week 18, so the Giants are in really good position to go 2-1 and wrapping up the 6th spot. Losing to Minn then beating Indy and then Phily in week 18, fininishing 10-6-1. It may have been a blessing for the Lions that they won last night.

Looking at the schedule, the Commanders have the worst schedule having to play both SF and Dallas in probably meaningful games for them, with the Browns sandwiched in between. 1-2 is highly probable, so 8-8-1.

Seattle schedule is not easy...at KC, then the Jets and Rams at home. This could easily go 1-2 or 2-1, which is the biggest variable if the Lions need to go 3-0 or 2-1.

I hope this doesn't come off as being negative towards Detroit, because I truly enjoy watching this team and hope they make the playoffs.

But has an NFL fan base ever been this excited at being .500 after 14 games?
Absolutely agree but we are desperate for some success here. I think we also really like the staff and players, has a real Detroit feel. Lots of castoffs or guys overlooked or coaches that maybe were labeled as unfit. The team is doing it the right way and seems to be following a plan.

I hope this doesn't come off as being negative towards Detroit, because I truly enjoy watching this team and hope they make the playoffs.

Absolutely agree but we are desperate for some success here. I think we also really like the staff and players, has a real Detroit feel. Lots of castoffs or guys overlooked or coaches that maybe were labeled as unfit. The team is doing it the right way and seems to be following a plan.
As an organization they are very easy to root for ATM.

Plus it is sustainable. Almost all young kids on rookie contracts, not a bunch of big contract and hired guns. The Lions not only have young talent, but decent cap space and very healthy amount of draft capitol. Should have a solid stretch of 5 years of winning football, and no one was expecting anything thise season.

One thing is the way they got to .500. They started 1-6 and the only talk back then was who they should draft with their top 5 pick. Now the only draft talk is who they should get with the Rams top 5 draft pick.

Is it just a coincidence that this run started immediately after firing the DB coach Aubrey Pleasant?

It also seems that Mr. Pleasant is now a member of the GB coaching staff? ........

Current Playoff Odds for 6th or 7th spot.

Giants...87 percent
Lions....44 percent
Commanders....43 percent.
Seahawks.....24 percent.
Packers......2 percent

I can only speak for myself, but it’s mainly because we haven’t arrived at 7-7 by being utterly average all along the way. We are young and inexperienced, but turned a corner and are now 6 wins in 7 games. It’s hopefully the seedlings of something sustainable because for the first time I have faith in the GM and the infrastructure below him. We have cap room, look like we are building from good drafts and have more capital in this up and coming one. It’s logical theory to see why we might just continue to improve from this point on for a good few years. Not saying it will happen, just that there’s logical reasons to think that we will, which is more than can be said for previous regimes, some of which had some decent teams but there was never a moment where the whole axis of GM-HC-coordinators-players was all working well with good quality at all levels.

The other factor here is the other Detroit pro sports teams have been awful. Not much winning by Pistons, Tigers and Red Wings - although the Wings have a bright future. We are just a fan base that is starving for a winning pro sports team that can be relevant. Plus Campbell and this team are good people to root for - real blue collar mentality that the city loves.

Rams pick currently sitting back at the 4 spot.

On road at Broncos Russ back, he looked better last game and their D is good. Think Broncos win

Home to Chargers. Have to expect/hope Chargers win here

Home to Seahawks. Hopefully Seahawks fighting for that playoff place ( and losing out 😊 ).

With any luck they lose their last 3

As a non-Lion fan, their season and potential playoff appearance is exciting because of several factors:

- Big pre-season buildup destroyed by terrible start, but they turned it around
- Their offensive line is great and they can both run and pass
- Their lengthy run being bad makes the turnaround even more fun, similar to a basketball underdog in the NCAA tourney on a neutral court
- Their defense has played so much better
- Campbell’s leadership and his history
- Goff’s play
- They are a just a team that is fun to watch and easy to like

Well if the team was 1-2, then 3-4, then 5-6 and then hit 7-7 the answer is no.

Only 1 team in NFL history has started 1-6 and made the playoffs. So this is kind of exciting to be 7-7 after being 4-19 the previous 23 games.

They also went through a stretch of having a ton of guys injured during that 1-6 stretch, and are now pretty healthy. Even ignoring the improvement of the young players, and players understanding the schemes better, they're a much more talented team than they were 7 weeks ago.

Poster on Twitch came up with this ML parlay, Lions+KC+SF+Denver. He's only getting around +380 but if it hits Lions are the temp #7 seed and Rams pick goes to #3.

Well if the team was 1-2, then 3-4, then 5-6 and then hit 7-7 the answer is no.

Only 1 team in NFL history has started 1-6 and made the playoffs. So this is kind of exciting to be 7-7 after being 4-19 the previous 23 games.
Add the Quinntricia era and it makes this run even more exciting. :excited:

In the 1990s the Buccaneers nearly sold out a game at Tampa stadium because they had a chance to win and finish the season at 8-8. No playoffs. Just a chance to finish .500 after 12-ish years of losing seasons. The Sombrero held 72,000 seats and games would normally get 25-30,000 people. This one had close to 70,000. I was there.
They lost, of course. But a couple years later they hired Tony Dungy and that changed everything.

C Frank Ragnow was the only Lion to make the Pro Bowl.

9 alternates:
  • QB Jared Goff
  • WR ARSB
  • RB Jamaal Williams
  • FB Jason Cabinda? 6g 78 snaps OK
  • RT Penei Sewell
  • LT Taylor Decker
  • LG Jonah Jackson
  • Edge Aidan Hutchinson
  • KR Kalif Raymond

Kerby Joseph led all SS in the fan voting but not even an alternate

Nice to see all 4 OL starters get recognition

(RG has been a revolving door - down to 5th string on Thanksgiving but now backup C Evan Brown is solid)

Kind of thought CB Jeff Okudah had a chance but his strength is setting the edge and it’s all about being a cover guy

C Frank Ragnow was the only Lion to make the Pro Bowl.

9 alternates:
  • QB Jared Goff
  • WR ARSB
  • RB Jamaal Williams
  • FB Jason Cabinda? 6g 78 snaps OK
  • RT Penei Sewell
  • LT Taylor Decker
  • LG Jonah Jackson
  • Edge Aidan Hutchinson
  • KR Kalif Raymond

Criminal that Sewell and Amon-Ra are not pro-bowlers. A good case could be made for Goff too. Only one QB in the NFC had a great season.

Lions Free Agent resigning?

UFA

• ⁠Chark - only is we’re staying in the 2 for $24M range, don’t see him as a LT asset.
• ⁠Jamaal - team friendly deal or let him go get his bag somewhere else. We got excellent value the last two years but third contract RBs rarely work out well. It's a devalued position and the easiest skill position to find replacement level.
• ⁠Hughes - no simply a below replacement level backup
• ⁠Anzalone - yes, one of the more improved players
• ⁠Brown - yes, great depth piece at C and has been a very good RG. He’s going to be in demand & probably won’t be back.
• ⁠Board - yes great special teamer
• ⁠Woods - yes good special teamer
• ⁠Elliott - indifferent, plays a lot of snaps but not a difference maker IMO
• ⁠Sudfield - no; either draft a QB or upgrade to a real backup if possible
• ⁠Jackson - at the right price, yes, he has played well + STer
• ⁠Buggs - oh hell yes
• ⁠Will Harris - no, too inconsistent, but his second half has been much better
• ⁠Cominsky - absolutely resign
• ⁠Onwuariye - absolutely not

Biggest Q on a lot of these is at what price. Feels like we’ll keep one of Buggs or Cominsky.

RFA

• ⁠Skipper - great story but tbh he hasn't been awesome when he has played
• ⁠Bryant - buh bye
• ⁠Nelson - pretty good swing T and 6th OL in 13 sets but hasn't stayed healthy
• ⁠Benson - nope
• ⁠Price - no thanks

ERFA

• ⁠Awosika - yes, keep developing
• ⁠Benito Jones - indifferent
• ⁠Kraemer - indifferent
• ⁠Wright - yes, keep developing
• ⁠Daly - 100% yes
• ⁠Pittman - yes, good ST guy

I don't see anyone paying Chark more than $10 million a year, and quite frankly his production the last several years do not justify more. He really earned his check in a couple games and his speed makes him a dangerous combo with Jamo, so I like his fit here. Anything around 2 year, $20 million is a good signing. But we have enough depth to let him walk otherwise.

Jamaal is similar, but target about $5-6 million per for 2 years. I don't see too many teams pounding the door for him either, but a solid fit in our offense.

Anzalone...our leading tackler, seems to be everywhere. Coverage weakness has not shown up as much. A position we are too shallow in. Maybe our highest priority.

Buggs/Cominski....two important pieces in what has lately become the defenses strength. They will be resi

Jackson...great value at near league minimum, but may bump up to $2 million. No reason not to sign him at that price. Solid depth and and provides explosiveness. Good 3rd down back and emergency backup.

Brown is a depth piece for us, but other teams may see him as a starter, so he will get a better offer somewhere else.

Nobody else is worthy anything more than league minimum and can walk, except for maybe Skipper.

I see us having one big defensive FA signing, probably secondary. Then
I can see us drafting in roughly this order, with the first pick being the most studly defensive player available:

2 CBs
1 DL
1 QB
1 LB
1 RB/TE
1 K

Users who are viewing this thread