What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2024 Detroit Lions: Draft complete. (14 Viewers)

With the team inproving at a rapid rate Lions have to stick with Goff. They can`t bring in a rookie and take 2 steps backwards at this point.

Goff is playing at a high level right now in this system. A couple of the so called bad passes were thrown away uncatchable to avoid losses.

Jamo was blown coverage by a reserve S

Deep ball to Chark was a dot, hit him in stride & with not a ton of separation

haven’t seen that kind of confidence in his long ball arm in awhile

he’ll never be that guy anyway - the Allen/Mahome/Rodgers deep ball hero

but he doesn’t have to be; he’s efficient when he plays within himself

and just when they think they know how to contain the underneath stuff he hits a 9 to Jamo or D.J.

OL is doing a good job of giving him a pocket

Ben Johnson is a bonafide offensive genius

He has Carolina roots and they may come for him but hoping we can keep him & Jared together for a couple more years

they are vibing and that doesn’t always happen, it’s a special pairing

Lions blew a few coverages too. Need to clean that up. 4th down pass to Thielan was not good.

PlayerPosNumPct
NumPct
Kerby JosephSS65100%1241%
DeShon ElliottFS6498%931%
Alex AnzaloneLB6397%13%
Jerry JacobsCB6397%13%
Mike HughesCB6397%621%
Aidan HutchinsonDE5991%414%
John CominskyDT5483%414%
Alim McNeillNT4062%13%
Amani OruwariyeCB3452%310%
Malcolm RodriguezLB3351%414%
Isaiah BuggsDT3249%13%
Jeff OkudahCB2742%13%
Romeo OkwaraLB2538%310%
James HoustonLB2132%1034%
Benito JonesDT1828%310%
Chris BoardLB1523%2069%
Josh PaschalDT1523%00%
Jarrad DavisLB1422%414%
Anthony PittmanLB58%2069%
C.J. MooreFS46%1966%
Ifeatu MelifonwuCB12%1034%

With the team inproving at a rapid rate Lions have to stick with Goff. They can`t bring in a rookie and take 2 steps backwards at this point.

Goff is playing at a high level right now in this system. A couple of the so called bad passes were thrown away uncatchable to avoid losses.

and just when they think they know how to contain the underneath stuff he hits a 9 to Jamo or D.J.

He has Carolina roots and they may come for him but hoping we can keep him & Jared together for a couple more years

Lions blew a few coverages too. Need to clean that up. 4th down pass to Thielan was not good.

yeah they struggled badly Okudah wasn't in there - pretty ridiculous how many chunk plays JJ had

many of them on the play after we got off to a good sequence on first down, frustrating

AFAIK that was illness related and not an injury so hopefully he'll be fine

Garrett Wilson is a real thing over in Jersey

No one was sadder on the field than TJ hockenson.
He didn't ask to be traded. Hopefully we learn more details concerning the trade.

Hock had another good week (despite the lost fumble on the Stanford band play to end it)

He's a good player

We saw several instances yesterday of Brock Wright or Shane Zylstra or Jason Cabinda making a block that was part of a chunk play

Sometimes teams become better by subtracting someone who isn't a good fit - could be schematically, a particular skill set, locker room issues, just doesn't have a mindset that meshes - who knows

Whatever the case, Lions are being successful without him and I have no doubt Hockenson will continue to be close to Pro Bowl TE

Rumor is Hock wants a long term Kelse type of deal. Lions were never going to extend him at top end salary. Lions have enough weapons so they don`t really need him. A cheaper TE will suffice. This was a good deal for both teams. Hock did have a big drop early when he was wide open and that helped.

yeah they struggled badly Okudah wasn't in there - pretty ridiculous how many chunk plays JJ had

many of them on the play after we got off to a good sequence on first down, frustrating

Given the choice not sure there is a WR in the NFL I would take over JJ. JJ is a great player.

Given the choice not sure there is a WR in the NFL I would take over JJ. JJ is a great player.

first WR to start career with 3 seasons over 1400

this is the best WR room Detroit has had since Golden-Marvin-Anquan (the Megatron years we never really had a solid WR3)

All I need in my life now is to watch Sewell run up the guts and punch in a TD or 3rd/4th down conversion.

Really think he could be stopped ? Watching him sprint across the line in motion and the speed he got up to makes me think no. Imagine being the Dline ams seeing him charging at you full steam

All I need in my life now is to watch Sewell run up the guts and punch in a TD or 3rd/4th down conversion.

Really think he could be stopped ? Watching him sprint across the line in motion and the speed he got up to makes me think no. Imagine being the Dline ams seeing him charging at you full steam
I would bet we find a way to get him the ball again. I would love to see him in space with a chance to get a head of steam.

That's what made this last win most impressive to me. Earlier in the year the Lions gave up only 14 yards to Jefferson and still lost that game. This week they gave up 223 yards to him and still found a way to win by 11. One player is not enough to beat a good NFL team.

That's what made this last win most impressive to me. Earlier in the year the Lions gave up only 14 yards to Jefferson and still lost that game. This week they gave up 223 yards to him and still found a way to win by 11. One player is not enough to beat a good NFL team.

Held Barkley to 15-22-0, but with Jones running for 50 the Giants got 26-89-2 overall.

Yesterday Cook had 15-23-1 and overall the Vikings had 17-22-1. Pretty impressive.

JJ ran wild but no touchdowns.

@kmeinke

Penei Sewell is the No. 1 right tackle in the NFL, according to @PFF. He turns 22 in two weeks.
LINK to video
Heh
I would like nothing better than Bengals vs Lions. My favorite QB vs my favorite team.
In a Super Bowl? Best part would be that one team would have to win. Or maybe the earth would open up and swallow the stadium whole before that could happen

MCDC presser
  • opened up talking about how much the veterans have been a huge part of this - Cabinda, Decker, Ragnow, even Brockers. all provide strong leadership in the locker room & the young bucks take it to heart & get in line
  • praised Buggs & how well they shut down Cook
  • Special Teams tilted the field - the fake, Kalif on returns, Badgley & Fox solid again
  • have to get better / be more efficient in the run game, been lacking of late
  • biggest clean up from yesterday is giving up chunk plays after putting them in 2nd & long / 3rd & long
  • Okudah didn’t have any energy from his illness but his play on Cook (stuffed the 4th down play) was clutch. said he should be fine for the NYJ game

Last edited:
You're a Bengals fan?
Lions fan but big fan of Joe.
LOL

I thought you being a Lions fan was such obvious knowledge that I may have hit on the joke of the year with that post. I had visions of likes, stacked upon likes, stacked upon likes. A crushing mountain of LIKES.

Guess not.

:kicksrock:

I used to think @Leroy Hoard was my biggest fan

Imagine how crestfallen I was when I realized he gives likes away the same way Rockafeller handed out dimes

I've got to admit, this team is fun to watch.....and, gulp, even kinda root for.

they’re a popular team this year

started with the opening presser and biting kneecaps

MCDC got love from popular football shows & he’s unconventional when it comes to being aggressive

Really got some momentum bc of Hard Knocks

Nothing beats winning though - they are super fun to root for

Hell the whole country wants us to finally have a good team

You're a Bengals fan?
Lions fan but big fan of Joe.
LOL

I thought you being a Lions fan was such obvious knowledge that I may have hit on the joke of the year with that post. I had visions of likes, stacked upon likes, stacked upon likes. A crushing mountain of LIKES.

Guess not.

:kicksrock:

My first thought was to accuse him thinking Goff was his favorite QB, but you took the opposite approach.

Other than the Pats game, the Lions have been extremely fun to watch this year. Close games, wild plays, high scoring, lots of turnovers. It’s been a ride!

If the Lions make the playoffs after starting 1-6 Campbell deserves to win coach of the year. This team was among the worst in the NFL after 7 games and now are playing as well as anyone.

Lions need to prove that they can beat a good defensive team on the road before they can be considered a playoff worthy team. They failed miserably vs NE and Dallas, who are good defenses, scoring a combined 6 points for both games. The Jets are a top five defense. The Jets have beaten Buffalo, Miami and Chicago at home but have lost to NE, BALT, and CINCI at home. Not an easy home schedule outside of Chicago.

Goff has played better at home. There was a surprising statistic to me shared on the TV broadcast yesterday. It was something like 90% of Goff's passing TDs this season have come at home. But Goff on the road has not been the same.

The Lions played two really bad pass defensive teams in Jax and Minnesota and the offense is likely to have a much tougher time vs the Jets. The Lions offense needs to be better than it had against NE and Dallas. The Lions next opponent after the Jets, Carolina, is no slouch on defense either ranking 13th in points given up. This game is on the road as well.

I think it's going to be difficult for the Lions to win both of these road games. Hoping for the best but the Jets game will tell us if the Lions are a playoff team.

Lions need to prove that they can beat a good defensive team on the road before they can be considered a playoff worthy team. They failed miserably vs NE and Dallas, who are good defenses, scoring a combined 6 points for both games. The Jets are a top five defense. The Jets have beaten Buffalo, Miami and Chicago at home but have lost to NE, BALT, and CINCI at home. Not an easy home schedule outside of Chicago.

Goff has played better at home. There was a surprising statistic to me shared on the TV broadcast yesterday. It was something like 90% of Goff's passing TDs this season have come at home. But Goff on the road has not been the same.

The Lions played two really bad pass defensive teams in Jax and Minnesota and the offense is likely to have a much tougher time vs the Jets. The Lions offense needs to be better than it had against NE and Dallas. The Lions next opponent after the Jets, Carolina, is no slouch on defense either ranking 13th in points given up. This game is on the road as well.

I think it's going to be difficult for the Lions to win both of these road games. Hoping for the best but the Jets game will tell us if the Lions are a playoff team.
All true but the offense will have more help as the Lions defense is a lot better than they were against New England and Dallas.

It was noted that the play before the Sewell trick play 3rd down conversion, Sewell had lined up as an eligible receiver, but Ben Johnson had him motion across to block instead of running a route. The Vikes defense was lulled expecting Sewell to block again.

Watching the fake punt play noticed that two Viking defenders were in position to stop the play. The play though confused the defenders. The one on the outside seemed to think that a pass had been attempted and went to tackle the downfield gunner. The defender on the inside had trouble locating the ball/runner and overran the play allowing Moore to cut up the field.

I still do not like the fake punt call but in reflection I like the timing better as the Lions were playing with a 7 point lead and if the fake failed the Lions would at worst be tied.

Last edited:

All true but the offense will have more help as the Lions defense is a lot better than they were against New England and Dallas.
Yes the defense is better but they just gave up over 400 yards to the Vikes. Jets are also better now on offense with White compared to Wilson. My point is not to get too far ahead of ourselves. The Jets should be favored in this game.,

Jets defense is the real deal. Goff’s home/road splits are Dr Jekyll & Mr Hyde.

Big challenge this week. Could all come crashing down Week 15. Or the circus rolls on to North Carolina. Can’t wait to see how they respond. Last week was exhausting for the coaching staff (& me personally though that’s irrelevant.) It’s really hard to sustain intensity.

But the staff seems to be doing a great job in preparation. I also love how focused the players are rn. Last night Aidan was wrapping up his remarks and he concluded with “…and now it’s time to focus on our next…who we playing, Jets? I think…” Like so focused on the task at hand, not even a thought about what cones after.

Last edited:

It's going to be a good test. They had a ton of injuries on offense for the New England and Dallas games, so it's a chance to see what the full offense can do against a good defense.

It's going to be a good test. They had a ton of injuries on offense for the New England and Dallas games, so it's a chance to see what the full offense can do against a good defense.

We also have two healthy deep threats now + Jared’s confidence is high

Probably throwing his best deep ball since the SB year

But the key to me is getting back to establishing the run - passing attack has been carrying them but I’d like to see us try to be more efficient running

I trust Ben Johnson, he and Goff are in a groove

Last edited:
Jets have done well considering their #2 overall pick in 2021 is now their #3 QB.

Saleh was my first choice before we hired Holmes & MCDC - dude is a really good leader.

Gardner is something else. 15 PDs, been grading out high 80s from the get go. He doesn’t shadow, so whichever WR lines up on the right side (defensive LCB), forget it, no chance.

Sauce followed Jefferson a little bit Week 13 but yesterday versus Diggs he mostly stayed on his side. But D.J. Reed (RCB) and the other Michael Carter (slot) are both playing close to pro bowl level as well.

But the key to me is getting back to establishing the run - passing attack has been carrying them but I’d like to see us try to be more efficient running
Any insight as to why a, seemingly healthy Swift got six carries when Jamaal was not doing much with his touches.

Was the game in hand and they didn't want to risk injury?

Just seems odd after a 51% snap share and 20 looks to go down to 36% (only 5 more snaps than Jackson) and 9 looks.

Any insight as to why a, seemingly healthy Swift got six carries when Jamaal was not doing much with his touches.

Was the game in hand and they didn't want to risk injury?

Just seems odd after a 51% snap share and 20 looks to go down to 36% (only 5 more snaps than Jackson) and 9 looks.

Because that’s how you beat the Vikings - target your outside WRs. Ben stayed aggressive in his play calling.

MCDC said today the run game, getting back to establishing the run, will be a point of emphasis. Throwing on the Jets DBs is suicide. This weeks game plan will be totally diffeeent.

Week 13 they ran 11 personnel 79%, Vikings game it came back down to 64%. They ran 12 personnel on 7 plays (10%), 13 personnel on 6 (9%) snaps. I haven’t watched the All 22 but I bet most of those there the last 20 minutes when they were up two scores.

As for the split:

Jamaal (26 snaps 16 ATT 1 target)
D’andre (25 snaps 10 opportunities)
Justin (20 & 5)

No I have no idea how to predict. Once again Jackson looked great. No reason to think all 3 won’t get some piece of the pie.

Jets are a very good defense, big challenge, but I think Johnson will figure out something. Every week is a different challenge but he’s good at tailoring the script to the opponent.

So what do you guys need here to get in. Seattle looks like they won't get in as they have a brutal schedule coming up. Wash plays NYG, so not sure who you cheer for there, but Wash seems like the better team so maybe you just hope they win and let them have the 6 seed and hope to catch the Giants. Or vice versa.

If you win out I'm sure you'd make it.
Combined record of final 4 opponents is 20-32. Very doable to win out. Next week is the big one though.

Lions offense seems to matchup well against the Jets. Effective chain movers and burners on the outside that don't necessarily require targets. Jets are banged up too. Good time to face them but Goff in the cold on the road is another story. Needs to be a ARSB Swift game. I'm not a Lions fan but do find this team fascinating.

If you win out I'm sure you'd make it.

That’s step 1. IMO 9-8 stays home unless you play in the NFC South.

Big test this week, out offense hasn’t been as smooth on the road. Jets D is legit.

I have spent time at the playoff machine site. Makes you realize that while by definition we need help, there are no realistic scenarios if we don’t handle our business. Schedule wise it seems almost impossible with the Commanders & Big Blue get past 2-2/9-6-1. Then it’s just a matter of completing the improbable.

Not gonna think about it though. Right now we have to beat the Jets. I think with a young team (we’re second youngest overall & youngest on D by a good margin), you need good leadership from Veterans & the staff.

We have that. As a group they are locked in right now - task at hand, nothing else. They’ve grown so much. They realize they can be imperfect and still win. They are a very confident team rn, they think they can play with anyone.

Lions offense seems to matchup well against the Jets. Effective chain movers and burners on the outside that don't necessarily require targets. Jets are banged up too. Good time to face them but Goff in the cold on the road is another story. Needs to be a ARSB Swift game. I'm not a Lions fan but do find this team fascinating.

I think this is a good read, although I would quibble they don’t view Swift as the linchpin. One of the three RBs needs to have a good week. Those Jet corners are a ***** to throw against.

Users who are viewing this thread