What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2024 Detroit Lions: Draft complete. (9 Viewers)

Snap Counts

OFFENSE

G Jonah Jackson -- 69 (100%)

G Logan Stenberg -- 69 (100%)

T Penei Sewell -- 69 (100%)

T Taylor Decker -- 69 (100%)

C Frank Ragnow -- 69 (100%)

QB Jared Goff -- 69 (100%)

TE T.J. Hockenson -- 63 (91%)

WR Amon-Ra St. Brown -- 61 (88%)

WR DJ Chark -- 56 (81%)

WR Josh Reynolds -- 55 (80%)

RB D’Andre Swift -- 46 (67%)

TE Brock Wright -- 23 (33%)

RB Jamaal Williams -- 23 (33%)

WR Kalif Raymond -- 8 (12%)

OL Matt Nelson -- 5 (7%)

TE Shane Zylstra -- 3 (4%)

WR Quintez Cephus -- 2 (3%)

DEFENSE

CB Amani Oruwariye -- 76 (99%)

S DeShon Elliott -- 74 (96%)

LB Alex Anzalone -- 71 (92%)

DE Aidan Hutchinson -- 69 (90%)

CB Jeff Okudah -- 67 (87%)

DE Charles Harris -- 64 (83%)

S Tracy Walker -- 58 (75%)

CB Mike Hughes -- 52 (68%)

DL Alim McNeill -- 52 (68%)

LB Malcolm Rodriguez -- 46 (60%)

DT Isaiah Buggs -- 40 (52%)

LB Chris Board -- 31 (40%)

DL John Cominsky -- 28 (36%)

DL Michael Brockers -- 28 (36%)

DE Austin Bryant -- 27 (35%)

LB Derrick Barnes -- 22 (29%)

S JuJu Hughes -- 19 (25%)

DT Benito Jones -- 16 (21%)

CB Will Harris -- 7 (9%)

SPECIAL TEAMS

Will Harris -- 26 (84%)

Bobby Price -- 26 (84%)

Chris Board -- 26 (84%)

Anthony Pittman -- 20 (65%)

Justin Jackson -- 20 (65%)

Josh Woods -- 20 (65%)

Malcolm Rodriguez -- 17 (55%)

Kerby Joseph -- 15 (48%)

JuJu Hughes -- 15 (48%)

Craig Reynolds -- 14 (45%)

Shane Zylstra -- 12 (39%)

Brock Wright -- 12 (39%)

K Austin Seibert -- 11 (35%)

PFF Grades & analysis

Rodriguez finished 5th amongst LBs with enough snaps to qualify.

Logan Stenberg had the rare 0.0 pass blocking grade. He allowed one sack, two hits, one hurry and four pressures.

Okudah played all but 10 snaps in his first game back from an Achilles injury. Gave up 4 receptions in 5 targets for 32 yards, blanked Davonta Smith.

Will Harris played only 7, but gave up the 54 yarder to AJ Brown right before the half.

In his debut, Aidan Hutchinson had the top grade against the run among defensive linemen and linebackers. He got knocked for one missed tackle and in the pass-rushing department despite getting credited with three quarterback pressures. Much like the rest of Detroit’s defense, he struggled to finish plays against Hurts. His three pressures were tied with John Cominsky for the team lead.

Second-year linebacker Derrick Barnes was the team’s worst-graded defender. PFF had him with three missed tackles, rough marks on the ground, pass rush and coverage. JuJu Hughes, who replaced ejected safety Tracy Walker (11 tackles incl the only sack), was next in line at the bottom.

OL - 60 is considered average, only Jonah Jackson and Penei Sewell graded out above it.

Top Offensive Performers​

1. RB D’Andre Swift: 82.3
  2. RT Penei Sewell: 79.8
  3. TE TJ Hockenson: 69.1
  4. LG Jonah Jackson: 67.6
  5. WR DJ Chark: 66.1
  6. Shane Zylstra -- 60.0
  7. Amon-Ra St. Brown -- 59.2
  8. Taylor Decker -- 58.5
  9. Brock Wright -- 58.1
  10. Quintez Cephus -- 57.4

Worst Offensive Performers​

1. RG Logan Stenberg: 25.9
  2. C Frank Ragnow: 48.8
  3. QB Jared Goff: 49.5
  4. RB Jamaal Williams: 55.0
  5. WR Josh Reynolds: 56.4

Best Defensive Performers​

1. LB Malcolm Rodriguez: 73.4
  2. S DeShon Elliott: 70.7
  3. LB Chris Board: 70.3
  4. S Tracy Walker: 70.1
  5. CB Mike Hughes: 67.4
  6. Isaiah Buggs -- 65.5
  7. Jeff Okudah -- 63.1
  8. Alim McNeill -- 57.7
  9. Aidan Hutchinson -- 56.3
  10. John Cominsky -- 55.6

Worst Defensive Performers​

1. LB Derrick Barnes: 29.3
  2. S Juju Hughes: 36.9
  3. LB Alex Anzalone: 40.3
  4. DT Michael Brockers: 41.4
  5. DT Benito Jones: 41.5
  6. Will Harris -- 42.9
Rodriguez posted the best defensive grade at 73.4, fellow rookie EDGE Aidan Hutchinson posted a grade of 56.3 in his pro debut as his tackling grade of 27.6 really hurt his overall score.

Other notable grades include CB Jeff Okudah (63.1), who outplayed CB Will Harris (42.9) during Sunday’s game against the Eagles. Alex Anzalone was one of the lowest-graded linebackers in the league in 2021 and he is not off to a very good start in 2022 as he posted a score of 40.3.

Across the board stats/PFF grade for Hutch:

67 snaps, 29 run defense, 38 pass rush. The 56.3 overall grade broke down as follows: run D 68.9 tackling 27.6 pass rushing 45.3

3 pressures 3 hurries 1 tackle 1 missed tackle

Pro Football focus graded 122 edge rushers this week. Hutch graded out as #121. Only one way to go now.
Travon Walker had a big game for Jags vs Washington : four tackles, a tackle for loss, a sack, an interception and a pass defensed .

Hutch was going against what some say is NFL's best OL. Lions themselves play Washington next so lets see what happens

Pro Football focus graded 122 edge rushers this week. Hutch graded out as #121. Only one way to go now.
link?

Par Caputo, right? Here’s the Tweet, not sure it’s correct - I have to cobble together PFF grades from multiple articles as I don’t have the premium subscription.

Aidan Hutchinson, in his NFL debut, was graded as 120st out of 121 in pass rush for edge defenders by @PFF. His run grade, however, was solid (25th). His overall grade among edge defenders was 82nd out of 124 graded.

As noted in my previous post, his 3 pressures in 38 pass rushes graded out 45.3. That’s def not good, but he’ll get better. IMO. Y’all welcome to label him a bust after one game if you want.

Upthread I linked the part of the presser where MCDC talked about his performance.

link?

Par Caputo, right? Here’s the Tweet, not sure it’s correct - I have to cobble together PFF grades from multiple articles as I don’t have the premium subscription.

Aidan Hutchinson, in his NFL debut, was graded as 120st out of 121 in pass rush for edge defenders by @PFF. His run grade, however, was solid (25th). His overall grade among edge defenders was 82nd out of 124 graded.

As noted in my previous post, his 3 pressures in 38 pass rushes graded out 45.3. That’s def not good, but he’ll get better. IMO. Y’all welcome to label him a bust after one game if you want.

Upthread I linked the part of the presser where MCDC talked about his performance.

Not sure, it was reported on 97.1 The Ticket update.

Sounds like something they would focus on.

All 5 Eagles OL graded out above 69.0, best in the league. Makes sense the other side of that would grade out among the worst.

Detroit had 19 team pressures, 14 hurries, 3 batted balls. Hutch had 3 hurries to lead the team. Unfortunately those hurries rarely translated into hits (unknown) or sacks (1.) Hurts had 78 hurries all of last year in 432 pass attempts so it seems like we were getting decent pressure (according to the stats) but just not finishing.

The Lions had no clue what to do with Hurts. Anytime they got pressure, Hurts used it against them taking off for yards on the ground. The Eagles are a tough match-up. I suspect as the year goes on and teams get more film, coaches will find some gameplans/tactics to counter them. The Lions were the unfortunate team to draw them week 1.

The Lions had no clue what to do with Hurts. Anytime they got pressure, Hurts used it against them taking off for yards on the ground. The Eagles are a tough match-up. I suspect as the year goes on and teams get more film, coaches will find some gameplans/tactics to counter them. The Lions were the unfortunate team to draw them week 1.
It was a bad draw for a team that has no answer on defense for that type of QB. Hoping they can at least do better vs a traditional pocket passer.

I think they will, as they were collapsing the pocket and making hurts move on a lot of the plays. The problem was just that hurts is so darn good at moving.

Well that, and the refs call personal fouls when you barely tap the guy while he is faking running the ball.

All 5 Eagles OL graded out above 69.0, best in the league. Makes sense the other side of that would grade out among the worst.

Detroit had 19 team pressures, 14 hurries, 3 batted balls. Hutch had 3 hurries to lead the team. Unfortunately those hurries rarely translated into hits (unknown) or sacks (1.) Hurts had 78 hurries all of last year in 432 pass attempts so it seems like we were getting decent pressure (according to the stats) but just not finishing.

Hutch will be better. Valenti said Hutch is a one trick pony who needs to develop more moves for the NFL game. Valenti hates Michigan Football and Michigan players with a passion so I take it with a grain of salt.

Hutch will be better. Valenti said Hutch is a one trick pony who needs to develop more moves for the NFL game. Valenti hates Michigan Football and Michigan players with a passion so I take it with a grain of salt.

Yeah I remember when they hired him fresh out of State for Foster’s show. Always thought he was a tool & ignore everything people post from him (no offense - I get there aren’t a ton of local options when you’re driving.)

I don’t ever listen to the ticket & never will. Read a lot of local stuff and watch clips from Woodward sports to try to get a feel for how the hometown folks feel. But I’m 700 miles away & it’s been 23 years, so I’m not always in sync with other Lions fans.

Yeah I remember when they hired him fresh out of State for Foster’s show. Always thought he was a tool & ignore everything people post from him (no offense - I get there aren’t a ton of local options when you’re driving.)

I don’t ever listen to the ticket & never will. Read a lot of local stuff and watch clips from Woodward sports to try to get a feel for how the hometown folks feel. But I’m 700 miles away & it’s been 23 years, so I’m not always in sync with other Lions fans.

Karsh and Gator is the best show on The Ticket. Valenti needs the Michigan fans to hate him as they drive his show. I mean he talks about the Michigan QBs every day. I can`t stand him. I saw him in Birmingham last year, he is a short little butterball.

The offense was in the red zone 4 times and scored 4 TDs (and the fifth TD they were just outside the red zone). Last year we settled for too many FGs.

Week 1 Offensive Touchdowns:
  1. Kansas City - 6
  2. Detroit - 5
  3. Buffalo, Philadelphia, Washington - 4
35 points shows the team's improvement and potential. Giving up 38 shows that the defense is an area of great need. Next game will clue us in if it was Hurts or the defense continues to blow. Wentz had a very good game last week but an easier target to get to if pressured.

35 points shows the team's improvement and potential. Giving up 38 shows that the defense is an area of great need. Next game will clue us in if it was Hurts or the defense continues to blow. Wentz had a very good game last week but an easier target to get to if pressured.

The pressures Week 1 were good; the Lions did generate a pass rush, they were disruptive.

Unfortunately they didn't keep moving their feet and finish the job (paraphrasing MCDC.)
  • 19 pressures
  • 14 hurries
  • 4 hits
  • 3 batted balls
  • 1 sack
Hurries: Hutch 3, Cominsky 2, Harris 2, Rodriguez 1, Board 1, McNeil 1, Bryant 1, Brockers 1, Anzalone 1, Hughes 1

Listen, the Eagles OL deserved the top score of the week, they ran for 216 yards and four different ball carriers scored. But I think the above is illustrates what Campbell meant when he said the tape wasn't as bad as he thought it was going to look.

We were terrible at gap assignment and setting the edge, that's obvious. But we did get into the backfield. The problem is we didn't get home - and not to make excuses, but you to give Hurts credit there. He's not easy to wrap up. As Longstreet said of Gettysburg, "I think the other side might have had something to do with the outcome."

If they get that much pressure on Wentz he's gonna be pretty sore Monday.

The more I look at the Eagles game, the more encouraged I am that this defense has potential. They have to make plays. On offense, the drops were contagious - that can't happen. It shouldn't happen. The coaches are putting these guys in a position to succeed. It's up to them to execute.

The pressures Week 1 were good; the Lions did generate a pass rush, they were disruptive.

Unfortunately they didn't keep moving their feet and finish the job (paraphrasing MCDC.)
  • 19 pressures
  • 14 hurries
  • 4 hits
  • 3 batted balls
  • 1 sack
Hurries: Hutch 3, Cominsky 2, Harris 2, Rodriguez 1, Board 1, McNeil 1, Bryant 1, Brockers 1, Anzalone 1, Hughes 1

Listen, the Eagles OL deserved the top score of the week, they ran for 216 yards and four different ball carriers scored. But I think the above is illustrates what Campbell meant when he said the tape wasn't as bad as he thought it was going to look.

We were terrible at gap assignment and setting the edge, that's obvious. But we did get into the backfield. The problem is we didn't get home - and not to make excuses, but you to give Hurts credit there. He's not easy to wrap up. As Longstreet said of Gettysburg, "I think the other side might have had something to do with the outcome."

If they get that much pressure on Wentz he's gonna be pretty sore Monday.

The more I look at the Eagles game, the more encouraged I am that this defense has potential. They have to make plays. On offense, the drops were contagious - that can't happen. It shouldn't happen. The coaches are putting these guys in a position to succeed. It's up to them to execute.

PFF rated Hutch at the bottom of the league, but that rating does not pass the smell test. Hutch was consistently beating the top tackles in the NFL, but Hurts just would sidestep Hutch much like a matador avoiding a bull. But that ability is what makes Hurts who he is. Hutch needs to improve against elusive QBs, but his ability to beat OL men is elite.

I think the PFF grades are... of questionable utility. They graded Maholmes out at #8 QB for the week. Hutch was not the 120th out of 121 edge rushers. No way.

DET looked good in that game. Miles away from last year. You all will have a lot more wins this season. There is some legit talent there.

The Offensive line had a really good game, aside from the 3rd string RG that played. Sewell and Jackson stood out, especially in the run game. And Ragnow played way better than his PFF grade. There were multiple times he stonewalled Fletcher Cox 1:1. He had some trouble with Jordan Davis, but I think everyone is going to have trouble with him.

Defensively, DET wins this game if it wasn't for Hurts' legs. PHI has one of the best, if not the best, Olines in football. Hutchinson looked impressive, to me. He had a lot of pressure during the pass rush. And PHI had no answer for the NASCAR package you ran. There were some breakdowns in gap responsibilities in the running game, and some weak tackling, but that seemed more like a Week 1 thing than a systemic issue.

I like this team. For a young team, they play fast and hungry. And they're easy to root for. A couple less dropped catches and missed tackles, and DET could have won this game. And, really, on paper they shouldn't have. Especially after being down 14 points so late in the game. There's more good than bad to take away from this game.

The offense was in the red zone 4 times and scored 4 TDs (and the fifth TD they were just outside the red zone). Last year we settled for too many FGs.

Week 1 Offensive Touchdowns:
  1. Kansas City - 6
  2. Detroit - 5
  3. Buffalo, Philadelphia, Washington - 4
*technically, 31 given up by the defense. And 3 of those were a gift from Campbell's bad TO usage.

In Week 1, the Lions went 4-4 in the red zone (#1 in the league) and 9-14 on 3rd down (#3 in the league).​

Last year, they ranked #31 in the league in both categories.​

renderTimingPixel.png

The Ben Johnson effect.

Injuries & Practice Report:

Reserve lists​

• FB Jason Cabinda (ankle): PUP, eligible to return in Week 5
  • WR Jameson Williams (ACL): NFI, eligible to return in Week 5
  • RG Halapoulivaati Vaitai (back): Injured Reserve, eligible to return in Week 5*
  • DL Levi Onwuzerike (back): Injured Reserve, eligible to return in Week 5
  • EDGE Romeo Okwara (Achilles): PUP, eligible to return in Week 5
  • EDGE Josh Paschal (sports hernia): PUP, eligible to return in Week 5
  • CB Jerry Jacobs (ACL): PUP, eligible to return in Week 5
*at the Wednesday presser MCDC noted that he had back surgery in Dallas this week, but that he still had a chance to return this season.

No practice Wednesday​

• RB D’Andre Swift (ankle) — new injury
  • C Frank Ragnow (groin) — downgrade from limited on Friday
  • LT Taylor Decker (calf) — new injury
  • IOL Tommy Kraemer (back)
  • DT Michael Brockers (knee) — new injury
Decker was spotted in a sleeve on his left calf at practice. It’s probably a good sign that he was out at practice, but it’s never good to miss practice. If he can’t go, the Lions could opt to move Penei Sewell to left tackle or simply put Matt Nelson in his place.

Because Campbell talked before practice, we have no information from the team on Swift’s status. The Lions did sign Justin Jackson from the practice squad to the active roster on Wednesday, but that was quite a move that was going to happen anyways with an open spot on the roster and considering he’s the team’s kick returner. As a vested veteran they preferred not to sign him to the 53 man before the Eagles game (even though he was called up from the practice squad) because it would mean his salary for the season is guaranteed.

Limited practice​

• G Jonah Jackson (finger) — new injury
  • S Ifeatu Melifonwu (hamstring)
Jackson is now the fourth starting offensive lineman to be dealing with an injury: (Decker: calf, Jackson: finger, Ragnow: groin, Vaitai: back). Finger injuries can be tricky, as we saw with Decker last year, but hopefully this is considered less serious.

Melifonwu is just starting his second week of practices and with just four under his belt, it’s hard to say if he will return to action this week, but signs are pointing up.

Full practice​

• EDGE Julian Okwara (hamstring) — upgrade from limited on Friday
This marks the beginning of the third week of practices for Okwara and based on what we have seen during previous player re-acclimations this offseason, he could be in line to see the field this weekend.

No longer listed with an injury​

• EDGE John Cominsky (illness)
  • LB Chris Board (knee)
  • K Austin Seibert (right groin)
Cominsky seemed well over his brief illness last weekend and was able to play 28 snaps on defense. Board played on 31 snaps but also contributed on 26 special teams snaps—84 percent of last week's opportunities. Speaking of special teams, played on all 11 of his opportunities and looked just fine kicking the ball.

Swift is the one everyone is freaking out about but reporters talked to D’Andre after practice and he said he’s not concerned about it.

After Detroit submitted the play for review the NFL states that an intentional grounding penalty should have been called on Hurts. Probably missed by the same guy who couldn't see the facemask on Goff right in front of him.

Injuries & Practice Report:

Reserve lists​

• FB Jason Cabinda (ankle): PUP, eligible to return in Week 5
  • WR Jameson Williams (ACL): NFI, eligible to return in Week 5
  • RG Halapoulivaati Vaitai (back): Injured Reserve, eligible to return in Week 5*
  • DL Levi Onwuzerike (back): Injured Reserve, eligible to return in Week 5
  • EDGE Romeo Okwara (Achilles): PUP, eligible to return in Week 5
  • EDGE Josh Paschal (sports hernia): PUP, eligible to return in Week 5
  • CB Jerry Jacobs (ACL): PUP, eligible to return in Week 5
*at the Wednesday presser MCDC noted that he had back surgery in Dallas this week, but that he still had a chance to return this season.

No practice Wednesday​

• RB D’Andre Swift (ankle) — new injury
  • C Frank Ragnow (groin) — downgrade from limited on Friday
  • LT Taylor Decker (calf) — new injury
  • IOL Tommy Kraemer (back)
  • DT Michael Brockers (knee) — new injury
Decker was spotted in a sleeve on his left calf at practice. It’s probably a good sign that he was out at practice, but it’s never good to miss practice. If he can’t go, the Lions could opt to move Penei Sewell to left tackle or simply put Matt Nelson in his place.

Because Campbell talked before practice, we have no information from the team on Swift’s status. The Lions did sign Justin Jackson from the practice squad to the active roster on Wednesday, but that was quite a move that was going to happen anyways with an open spot on the roster and considering he’s the team’s kick returner. As a vested veteran they preferred not to sign him to the 53 man before the Eagles game (even though he was called up from the practice squad) because it would mean his salary for the season is guaranteed.

Limited practice​

• G Jonah Jackson (finger) — new injury
  • S Ifeatu Melifonwu (hamstring)
Jackson is now the fourth starting offensive lineman to be dealing with an injury: (Decker: calf, Jackson: finger, Ragnow: groin, Vaitai: back). Finger injuries can be tricky, as we saw with Decker last year, but hopefully this is considered less serious.

Melifonwu is just starting his second week of practices and with just four under his belt, it’s hard to say if he will return to action this week, but signs are pointing up.

Full practice​

• EDGE Julian Okwara (hamstring) — upgrade from limited on Friday
This marks the beginning of the third week of practices for Okwara and based on what we have seen during previous player re-acclimations this offseason, he could be in line to see the field this weekend.

No longer listed with an injury​

• EDGE John Cominsky (illness)
  • LB Chris Board (knee)
  • K Austin Seibert (right groin)
Cominsky seemed well over his brief illness last weekend and was able to play 28 snaps on defense. Board played on 31 snaps but also contributed on 26 special teams snaps—84 percent of last week's opportunities. Speaking of special teams, played on all 11 of his opportunities and looked just fine kicking the ball.

Swift is the one everyone is freaking out about but reporters talked to D’Andre after practice and he said he’s not concerned about it.

Swift is not concerned but it does seem it is always some nagging injury with him. Injury can happen on any given play in the NFL so there really is no reason to limit his use.

G Tommy Kraemer to IR

Starting RG out his backup out two Pro Bowl OL not practicing plus Decker limited

PlayerPositionInjuryWedThu
Jonah JacksonGFingerLPDNP
Frank RagnowCGroin/FootDNPDNP
D'Andre SwiftRBAnkleDNPDNP
Michael BrockersDTKneeDNPLP
Taylor DeckerOTCalfDNPLP
Ifeatu MelifonwuSAFHamstringLPLP
Amani OruwariyeCBBack(-)LP
Julian OkwaraLBHamstringFPFP

Lions with youngest NFL roster Week 1

With all these G injuries - and Logan Stenberg playing like trash - there's a chance we might see Drew Forbes in the lineup. That's the guy we claimed off waivers from the Browns. Couple interesting reads on "the most scouted player of the John Dorsey era"

What happened to Drew Forbes

What the Lions are getting in their new OL Drew Forbes

Getting a little concerned about Rags. Rags played over injuries his first couple of seasons but they are starting to add up.

Swift always seems to have a little something wrong too. Hope the ankle is not lingering.

After watching Herberts pick 6 last night Goffs did not look so bad.

Lions with youngest NFL roster Week 1

With all these G injuries - and Logan Stenberg playing like trash - there's a chance we might see Drew Forbes in the lineup. That's the guy we claimed off waivers from the Browns. Couple interesting reads on "the most scouted player of the John Dorsey era"

What happened to Drew Forbes

What the Lions are getting in their new OL Drew Forbes

Hopefully Hank Fraley can get him to reach his potential. For the most part, the Lions have done pretty good at getting guys to fill in on the OL.

Dating back to last season, the Lions have scored touchdowns in 11 consecutive quarters, which is the longest active streak in the NFL and a new franchise record.

Users who are viewing this thread