What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2024 Miami Dolphins: Chop, Chop !! (3 Viewers)

Nick Wright and Colin Cowherd, i know bozos to many BUT they have to read and react to this news as it is unfolding

Kinda Funny to watch about 3-4 minutes in as Miami is announced as the official winner of the Hill sweepstakes.    

i guess I won't need to carve out a whole week for the Draft this year  :lmao:
We were spoiled in Miami with so many high draft picks the last couple of years. Now it's time for @rockaction and @DJackson10and others to enjoy their draft parties.

We'll be back to the draft party in April 2023 with 2 first rounders, maybe selections 1.31 and 1.32 as McDaniel beats his former team! One can only dream.

I guess this is good for Miami fans, as they'll have an optimistic offseason. Maybe this makes them a wildcard team? I don't know. Hope it works out.
So far they’ve made some fantastic moves. I like pretty much every player they’ve brought in. They’ve shored up the OL, they brought in Mostert, and the Ced Wilson signing was a shark move - I thought he was a priority for Dallas, so that could be considered a coup. Now Tyreek Hill? I mean, that and some seasoning for Tua & they’re a feature back away from fielding a very dangerous offense. And in today’s NFL, RBs can be situational role players & a team can get away with it as their coach well knows. 

I’d say they’re in the hunt for a wildcard. The AFC is brutal, their division isn’t a cakewalk, but the pieces are there. They have that “why not us” feel to them. 

Last edited by a moderator:
they’re a feature back away from fielding a very dangerous offense. And in today’s NFL, RBs can be situational role players & a team can get away with it as their coach well knows. 

I’d say they’re in the hunt for a wildcard. The AFC is brutal, their division isn’t a cakewalk, but the pieces are there. They have that “why not us” feel to them. 
Miami will hold the 102-124-158 or something like that and i understand a better RB will be off the board but a lot of the Draft Class in 2022 is later after the Top 100, lots of RB names I am interested in and I think Miami will add a rookie into the mix and kiss Myles Gaskin good bye. That rookie could end up being the Elijah Mitchell-6th Rd of 2022 🤷‍♂️

Phins have roughly $15M+ they can create quickly in cap space but I'll spare the list of names, mostly back up caliber types overpaid. 

I guess this is good for Miami fans, as they'll have an optimistic offseason. Maybe this makes them a wildcard team? I don't know. Hope it works out.
I have mixed feelings.

Sure, I love Hill's ability but I'm not sure it was a position of need.  Would rather have seen a QB upgrade.  haven't had a chance to fully digest and want to think about the opportunity cost of the draft picks.

Miami will hold the 102-124-158 or something like that and i understand a better RB will be off the board but a lot of the Draft Class in 2022 is later after the Top 100, lots of RB names I am interested in and I think Miami will add a rookie into the mix and kiss Myles Gaskin good bye. That rookie could end up being the Elijah Mitchell-6th Rd of 2022 🤷‍♂️

Phins have roughly $15M+ they can create quickly in cap space but I'll spare the list of names, mostly back up caliber types overpaid. 
My knowledge of the NFL is nothing compared to most of you all here, but I thought Mostert and Edmunds sounded like a good speedy combo of backs. Although my memory is both of them were hurt quite a bit. /shrug

Didn't read this whole thread, just wanted to pop in to share my excitement for next season. And as I am sure someone else pointed out, the 2 first rounders in 2023 (which I assume we use if we don't see a lot of progress from Tua).

My knowledge of the NFL is nothing compared to most of you all here, but I thought Mostert and Edmunds sounded like a good speedy combo of backs. Although my memory is both of them were hurt quite a bit. /shrug

Didn't read this whole thread, just wanted to pop in to share my excitement for next season. And as I am sure someone else pointed out, the 2 first rounders in 2023 (which I assume we use if we don't see a lot of progress from Tua).
They need a bruiser. Neither Mostert nor Edmonds is a banger between the tackles.

I don’t expect them to invest in a feature back, but luckily there are a lot of 2-down bangers in the draft and usually on the market, too.

IMO Miami is dumb if they let the Chiefs sign RoJo. He’d be a near perfect fit. 

It’s my own fault for having a Twitter account, but I can’t believe how many fans don’t like this for Miami. Team hasn’t won squat in 50 years and they just acquired maybe the top playmaker (non QB) in the league. When you have a chance to do this,  you do it. I get it, they traded a bunch of picks, but the chance that you hit on one of those picks with a player of this caliber is beyond slim. 

Welcome aboard and don't be a stranger. I think you'll find the last several years of this thread chocked full of a lot of emotion and there are definitely 2 camps going on here but as I mentioned earlier today, Chris Grier has united a large chunk of the fan base. There's not many Miami fans that don't feel like there is some hope. 

Super Bowl you ask? I can't even fathom something like that, it would just be nice to make the Playoffs. There was a time here in Miami when I was young, the fan base grew accustomed to always making the Playoffs and were spoiled from Shula and the team started making knee jerk decisions and not thinking long term. 

Something feels different today, something many of us have not felt in a very long time. 

They need a bruiser. Neither Mostert nor Edmonds is a banger between the tackles.

I don’t expect them to invest in a feature back, but luckily there are a lot of 2-down bangers in the draft and usually on the market, too.

IMO Miami is dumb if they let the Chiefs sign RoJo. He’d be a near perfect fit. 
Doaks IIRC fits this role at least adequately 

As MoP said you’ll be welcomed. 

Welcome aboard and don't be a stranger. I think you'll find the last several years of this thread chocked full of a lot of emotion and there are definitely 2 camps going on here but as I mentioned earlier today, Chris Grier has united a large chunk of the fan base. There's not many Miami fans that don't feel like there is some hope. 

Super Bowl you ask? I can't even fathom something like that, it would just be nice to make the Playoffs. There was a time here in Miami when I was young, the fan base grew accustomed to always making the Playoffs and were spoiled from Shula and the team started making knee jerk decisions and not thinking long term. 

Something feels different today, something many of us have not felt in a very long time. 
People don’t remember his record the season Shula had just before they parted ways. 

I wanted to get this link Miami Herald and there is a link to the emergency Greg Cote podcast, this is worth listening to just to hear the impact that these moves are having. 

This is unbelievable what Miami pulled off and the pressure is on Tua, in a good way. 

I encourage you all to try and grab a listen. The Cote Boys, father and son seem giddy.

Potentially the best duo at WR with Hill and Waddle, Wilson will be open all the time, Gesicki will be on a LB, mismatches everywhere, a rhino Fullback knocking guys around and an OL you can't figure out if it's coming(run block/pancake) or going(pass block), high speed with the new RBs. 

Hard to let go of the bad taste when Flores was fired but this might be worth it all if things break right. I'm still stunned. 

Feels like Christmas, somebody pinch me. 

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/miami-dolphins/tyreek-hill-19119/

In reality it’s a 4 year deal. 5.1 dead $ between 4&5
Also when you weigh $28M vs $10M dead cap...let's see where we are in '24. I like the structure, I'm OK if after 3 seasons they gotta kiss him good bye. We didn't draft him and I think back to LeBron when he signed with the Miami Heat and I used to say out loud at games and bars "enjoy him while we got him" and I feel the same way here. Not sure Hill will retire a Miami Dolphin, don't care. Happy to see what he does for the Offense in the coming seasons. It cost a lot of money but it's not my money so I don't care. If you are going to pay Kirk $18M a year, you bet Tyreek Hill is getting $30M. 

Absolute playmaker and complete beast that strikes fear into opposing Defenses, period. 

2,700 yds and 26 TDs the last 2 seasons 

3x ALL-Pro, 6 Pro Bowls, 2 Super Bowl trips, 1 trophy. He's on his way to Canton, glad we can be a part of it.

Bring on the Bills 

I have mixed feelings.

Sure, I love Hill's ability but I'm not sure it was a position of need.  Would rather have seen a QB upgrade.  haven't had a chance to fully digest and want to think about the opportunity cost of the draft picks.
Let's discuss. 

-They brought in Teddy Bridgewater, that was a QB upgrade over what they had. 

-#29 and #50 and #121 I believe in this year's Draft, nothing there was going to help us get over the hump in '22. 

-Another 4th and 6th next year, we can easily make those up in a variety of ways.

-Miami still has 2 first round picks in 2023 when QBs might be stronger than this season and they can package and still have a strong team for a QB to slide into. 

-Think we should be prying Baker away from Cleveland? Not tonight, let's shelve that discussion, it wasn't going well earlier in the thread either.  

It’s my own fault for having a Twitter account, but I can’t believe how many fans don’t like this for Miami. Team hasn’t won squat in 50 years and they just acquired maybe the top playmaker (non QB) in the league. When you have a chance to do this,  you do it. I get it, they traded a bunch of picks, but the chance that you hit on one of those picks with a player of this caliber is beyond slim. 

The NFL is not fantasy football.  You win with depth.  You win with culture.   You win with talent on both sides of the ball.  I was there 50 years ago.  I lived and died with Dan Marino.  I've watched decades slip by without a franchise QB.  

So there's that...  

Hill is a name.  This will be Tyreek's 29 year old season.  His game is predicated on speed and when does that slip?  And you have to pay him.  So you compromise on other positions in addition to the draft picks...  Is that necessary for a WR who is a little redundant with Waddle?   

WR is a position that you can economize on.... What was wrong with Waddle, Parker, Wilson, Fuller, Gesicki?

Historically, has that been a winning formula? Last year, the Rams acquired Stafford.  The prior year, the Bucs acquired Brady.  

Obviously, I hope for the best.  But color me skeptical.  

Also when you weigh $28M vs $10M dead cap...let's see where we are in '24. I like the structure, I'm OK if after 3 seasons they gotta kiss him good bye. We didn't draft him and I think back to LeBron when he signed with the Miami Heat and I used to say out loud at games and bars "enjoy him while we got him" and I feel the same way here. Not sure Hill will retire a Miami Dolphin, don't care. Happy to see what he does for the Offense in the coming seasons. It cost a lot of money but it's not my money so I don't care. If you are going to pay Kirk $18M a year, you bet Tyreek Hill is getting $30M. 

Absolute playmaker and complete beast that strikes fear into opposing Defenses, period. 

2,700 yds and 26 TDs the last 2 seasons 

3x ALL-Pro, 6 Pro Bowls, 2 Super Bowl trips, 1 trophy. He's on his way to Canton, glad we can be a part of it.

Bring on the Bills 

Kirk shouldn't be getting $18 million

Yes, big numbers for Hill.... with an elite QB throwing the ball.

I hope I'm wrong... it's been a long time since Duper and Clayton.  But Tua is not Dan Marino.

Miami has the cap space (still) to be greedy, and I think they should.

Longer post ahead:

Miami has set themselves up with a 3 year window basically. All the contracts we have doled out basically gives us 3 years of time to make this work.  Within those 3 years we have a bunch of picks in case we need to tinker, but this team loaded up to "Win now"

As for MM's offense: Pick your poison.  MM has basically said you have to "earn" teams respect to come off 2 high safeties so that is what a running game is for, but lets assume the running game is effective, how do you come off two high when Waddle, Cheetah, MG etc are in the mix?  Looks like the receivers set up the running game and then the running game sets up the receivers.  SO how do you defend this?  Well, likely cover zero style blitzes.  (which we will see a lot of in training camp as that is our defense). 

Not sure how you defend this offense from getting 4-5 yards a pop on rushes at this point....

You sound like the guy talking up the Browns having the best offense ever with Odell, Landry, Chubb, Hunt, 3x TEs, and Baker.

Why not sign Allen Robinson and keep all the picks.  I would have trade a first and thrid for hill, but I'm not giving up 70% of a years draft for any player who's not a stud QB.

Kirk shouldn't be getting $18 million

Yes, big numbers for Hill.... with an elite QB throwing the ball.

I hope I'm wrong... it's been a long time since Duper and Clayton.  But Tua is not Dan Marino.
Marino he isn't but he just inherited a Pro Bowl Left Tackle and one of the Top 10 players in the NFL and a 3x ALL Pro at WR, that's gotta help. 

Marino he isn't but he just inherited a Pro Bowl Left Tackle and one of the Top 10 players in the NFL and a 3x ALL Pro at WR, that's gotta help. 
I hope you're right.  I hate to fret over Tua because I think he isn't the same player after his injury, which really isn't his fault.

Let's assume the Dolphins are now a play-off team.  We saw the caliber of QB play in the Chiefs/Bills play-off game.  Are you built to beat the elite teams in the AFC?   Is Tua that guy?

I hope you're right.  I hate to fret over Tua because I think he isn't the same player after his injury, which really isn't his fault.

Let's assume the Dolphins are now a play-off team.  We saw the caliber of QB play in the Chiefs/Bills play-off game.  Are you built to beat the elite teams in the AFC?   Is Tua that guy?
McDaniel came from SF which has been in the SB hunt 2 of the last 3 years with Garropolo at QB. I think Tua can be that guy, especially with an improved oline and Hill, Waddle, Parker, Wilson, and Gesicki as receivers. Some players on defense will need to step up, such as Phillips and Davis. The pressure is also on the coaches, McDaniel and Boyer.

McDaniel came from SF which has been in the SB hunt 2 of the last 3 years with Garropolo at QB. I think Tua can be that guy, especially with an improved oline and Hill, Waddle, Parker, Wilson, and Gesicki as receivers. Some players on defense will need to step up, such as Phillips and Davis. The pressure is also on the coaches, McDaniel and Boyer.
Agreed

McDaniels system in SF made Garropolo look good. It will come down to the Oline play - always does. Still need a damn Center.

On defense they still missing that MLB. Teams ran all over the middle of their DLine last year. Need to find the next Offerdahl/Zach Thomas.

Those are my 2 glaring missing pieces right now - C & MLB - not sure if they have any cap space left for a Tretter or a high enough draft pick to fill either of those positions.

Agreed

McDaniels system in SF made Garropolo look good. It will come down to the Oline play - always does. Still need a damn Center.

On defense they still missing that MLB. Teams ran all over the middle of their DLine last year. Need to find the next Offerdahl/Zach Thomas.

Those are my 2 glaring missing pieces right now - C & MLB - not sure if they have any cap space left for a Tretter or a high enough draft pick to fill either of those positions.
Let's look at the base Defense, they run a 3-4 that ends up looking more like a 4-2 much of the time...

DE-Ogbah 67% of the snaps, DE/DT-Wilkins 65%, DE-DT Sieler 46%, DE-OLB Phillips 53%, DE-Adam Butler 52%(had no idea he even played) and Raekwon Davis 37%...

DLine: Ogbah-(Butler/Davis)-Wilkins is your main 1-2-3 on DL. Butler makes $4M and can be released anytime, Davis-2nd Rd and entering 3rd year of his rookie deal, he rated close to the bottom on PFF last year. 

Edge/LB-Van Ginkel 71% of the snaps. Baker is our ILB, we don't use a true MLB so I think Jerome Baker-86% is our guy and Elandon Roberts-55% of the snaps is on the field a lot for 1st down and short yardage. 

There are 8-9 names floating around in here that make up our Front 7 although i feel it's more like a Front 5 or 6 especially in passing situations. 

Any thoughts where we want to try and make an upgrade or start mortgaging future Draft picks? I'd like one more pass rusher that has to be accounted for every snap. We have playmakers in the Secondary that can exploit mistakes by opposing QBs.

Edited to add: Was just showing that another MLB might not be the biggest hit. Could never hurt but Miami is typically rolling 5 DBs with Needham out there a lot. Needham played over half the Defensive snaps as a Nickelback. 

The NFL is not fantasy football.  You win with depth.  You win with culture.   You win with talent on both sides of the ball.  I was there 50 years ago.  I lived and died with Dan Marino.  I've watched decades slip by without a franchise QB.  

So there's that...  

Hill is a name.  This will be Tyreek's 29 year old season.  His game is predicated on speed and when does that slip?  And you have to pay him.  So you compromise on other positions in addition to the draft picks...  Is that necessary for a WR who is a little redundant with Waddle?   

WR is a position that you can economize on.... What was wrong with Waddle, Parker, Wilson, Fuller, Gesicki?

Historically, has that been a winning formula? Last year, the Rams acquired Stafford.  The prior year, the Bucs acquired Brady.  

I’m aware of the difference between the NFL and fantasy football.  I’ve watched this team flounder in mediocrity for almost 40 years. The minute Hill steps in the locker room, he’s the best skill position player this team has ever had. Waddle looks like a good player. He’s not Hill. He’s more Landry than Hill. He’s faster than Landry, and he should only get better, but he’s got a ways to go to be Hill. Hill is way more than just a name. Having someone like Hill makes everyone around him better and also makes Miami a more enticing place for future players to want to come there to play. 

As far as the others from last year that you listed, well, we saw last year what was wrong with that group. They were an average group, at best. Fuller was a waste of a signing. Nice player, never healthy. 

Ideally, yes, I’d love to have Stafford, Brady, Mahomes, etc, but they aren’t available. San Francisco has been successful in recent years without a HOF QB and it’s pretty clear it looks like that’s what Miami is going for in a short window. Am I confident that it’s going to work? No. Are they a much better team then they were at the end of last season? Hard to say no with the moves they’ve made. Plus they were able to keep both first round picks next year, so if Tua flops they can use those to move up to get a QB in the draft or try to acquire a more established QB ala Stafford if someone like that is available. 

This move was a no brainer for this team. 

Todem where are you brother? You have to be excited about all this. I think its perfect for Miami, if Tua can't make it with these weapons, he's NOT your franchise QB, and you've got multiple 1sts next year to make that QB switch. Not to mention Miami will become a far more attractive destination to free agent QBs with Hill and Waddle. 

You sound like the guy talking up the Browns having the best offense ever with Odell, Landry, Chubb, Hunt, 3x TEs, and Baker.

Why not sign Allen Robinson and keep all the picks.  I would have trade a first and thrid for hill, but I'm not giving up 70% of a years draft for any player who's not a stud QB.
First, you have to assume arob wanted to come here. Next, look at the picks. A first a second and a bunch of day 3 picks for one of the most explosive wrs in football. I’m all about keeping picks, but miamis brain trust has decided to go all in on Tua while he is still on his rookie deal. With a crappy offense last year we won 9 games. Defense is essentially the same and the offensive additions are all upgrades. Chips to the center of the table. Let’s go!

So there's that...  

I don't feel that Waddle and Hill are the same WR at all. And with Hill taking 2 DBs with him on every pattern that flys down he field, then you have all this speed underneath with Waddle, Col Mustard, Chase, Wilson/Gesicki in the slots and working underneath, nobody has a Secondary that can cover all that.  

And we have a Top5 Secondary, Legion of Boom perhaps not but they got playmakers in there. It's possible guys like Phillips and Holland get even better in Year 2. 

Went 10-7 and 9-8 with horse #### on Offense, Fuller and Parker were M-I-A last year, Waddle was the only guy there and his YPC dropped from 20 in college to under 10 yds a catch his rookie year, think that will stay the same?

I'm as skeptical as they get in here but you have to look at what they have done. Miami has gone out and addressed most of their needs. 

Todem where are you brother? You have to be excited about all this. I think its perfect for Miami, if Tua can't make it with these weapons, he's NOT your franchise QB, and you've got multiple 1sts next year to make that QB switch. Not to mention Miami will become a far more attractive destination to free agent QBs with Hill and Waddle. 
I can speak for @Todembecause he also is in the "We hate Ross" camp which sometimes jades both of us in assessing moves. I will not back down in thinking Flores should not have been fired, HOWEVER it would seem Miami has done amazing things especially on Offense since Flores left and we return all 11 starters plus many of the back ups on Defense. 

I'm sure Todem knows this is the best Miami has looked in almost 2 decades during the off season. 

29, 50 and 121? 70% of this years Draft? 

We still have 2 first round picks next year. 

currently DeVante Parker is our No 4 WR and likely moving on his way, Miami has gotten light years better this off season. 

We still have 101-124-158-199 and those will be used on depth for both sides of the line IMHO, but BPA will work for once. 

-And we're talking Chris "Riverboat" Grier and he can manufacture some more Draft picks if he really wants someone in the Top 100. 

Miami is under new management, we've hired the best and brightest, we have guys like Wes Welker now WR Coach and the guys ahead of him are even more qualified, this is probably the best coaching staff Miami has seen since Jimmy Johnson took over and brought his assistants in 1996...25 years ago, wo'ah!

29, 50 and 121? 70% of this years Draft? 

We still have 2 first round picks next year. 

currently DeVante Parker is our No 4 WR and likely moving on his way, Miami has gotten light years better this off season. 

We still have 101-124-158-199 and those will be used on depth for both sides of the line IMHO, but BPA will work for once. 

-And we're talking Chris "Riverboat" Grier and he can manufacture some more Draft picks if he really wants someone in the Top 100. 

Miami is under new management, we've hired the best and brightest, we have guys like Wes Welker now WR Coach and the guys ahead of him are even more qualified, this is probably the best coaching staff Miami has seen since Jimmy Johnson took over and brought his assistants in 1996...25 years ago, wo'ah!

I said 70% of a year's draft, not this years draft.

We only gave up 29, 50, and a bunch of throw away picks on day 3.  The type of throw away picks that obtained Hill in the first place and that guy still hanging wins on the other side of the state.  This wasn't as bad a Herschel and Ricky trades but it was still a bad trade.

I said 70% of a year's draft, not this years draft.

We only gave up 29, 50, and a bunch of throw away picks on day 3.  The type of throw away picks that obtained Hill in the first place and that guy still hanging wins on the other side of the state.  This wasn't as bad a Herschel and Ricky trades but it was still a bad trade.
And every pundit out there says "Good Trade" and since we have given a lot of support and details, all we're getting from your side is that Miami got hosed...you can keep saying it but that's not true and you have very little to back that claim but keep saying it , you'll believe it but good luck convincing others.

Love you BnB

Cheers!

First, you have to assume arob wanted to come here. Next, look at the picks. A first a second and a bunch of day 3 picks for one of the most explosive wrs in football. I’m all about keeping picks, but miamis brain trust has decided to go all in on Tua while he is still on his rookie deal. With a crappy offense last year we won 9 games. Defense is essentially the same and the offensive additions are all upgrades. Chips to the center of the table. Let’s go!
29th pick is almost 2nd Round and I would love to have the 50 pick but you gotta make some sacrifices. 

Folks are wanting to rub it in that these guys were drafted in the 3rd, 5th whatever...i posted about that already but you don't think they are going to slowly scroll thru our work in here. 

All good but don't waste too many brain cells arguing because guess what? Miami just became a sexy 6-foot blonde bombshell and guys are going to want to make crude remarks, not all but some of them. 

All good and means we are getting better. 

Users who are viewing this thread