What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2nd Official Free For All Chess Tournament- Green & Gold= Champion (1 Viewer)

Sand defeats Uni. Thought I would try to mix things up and went with an opening I wasn't very familiar with. I liked the style of game it opened up but mistakenly blundered a piece away and never recovered after that. Sand plays a very solid game. :thumbup:

Not entirely happy with my results in this tourney but not very surprised either. I'm hoping we can do another fairly soon. Just started one of the tactics books SacBob recommended and looking forward to see if it helps in the next one. Thanks again to Tim for running this thing, really fun experience. :thumbup:
Super fun game!. I also believe I could have done a bit better. Should have given Tim a better game. Deserved to lose to Pizza - he's quite good. But when all is said and done getting 4.5 out of six ain't awful after not having picked up a piece in a couple decades.

Oh, and to the guys I am playing for fun (Pizza, uni, boomboom), sorry for the lack of moves. I got a horrible bug that laid me out yesterday (and all night).

Joffer defeats Pizza. Got paralyzed by my own pieces and couldn't recover. Enjoyed the game!

Thanks Tim for handling this.

Joffer defeats Pizza. Got paralyzed by my own pieces and couldn't recover. Enjoyed the game!

Thanks Tim for handling this.
1. d4 Nf6

2. Bg5 Ne4

3. Bh4 d5

4. e3 c6

5. f3 Nd6

6. Bd3 g6

7. e4 dxe4

8. fxe4 Bg7

9. c3 O-O

10. Ne2 h6

11. O-O g5

12. Bg3 Bg4

13. e5 Nb5

14. Qb3 Be6

15. Qc2 Na6

16. a4 Nb5c7

17. b4 Nd5

18. Bf2 Na6c7

19. Nd2 b5

20. a5 f5

21. exf6 Nxf6

22. h4 g4

23. Ng3 Nc7d5

24. Ra1e1 Nf4

25. Ne2 Nxd3

26. Qxd3 Nd5

27. g3 Bf5

28. Ne4 Bh7

29. Kh2 Rf3

30. Qc2 Qf8

31. Ng1 Bxe4

32. Rxe4 Rxc3

33. Qd2 Qf5

34. Rxe7 Rc2

35. Rxg7+ Kxg7

36. Qe1 Rf8

37. Kg2 h5

38. Qe5+ Qxe5

39. dxe5 Ne3+ 0-1

really good game. you had me jammed up early but i was able to free my game and exploit that f file

I don't think I've ever played a French game that turned into an open game with both queens and 4 minor pieces off the board within 15 moves, but, well, here we are.

Last edited by a moderator:
otello said:
spOOfy said:
O should be beating me soon. Lost my queen early. Need a miracle.
Always think twice when you see a free pawn early in a game.
Good advice. No idea what I was thinking there.O slaughtered me. Game ovah
When I first saw you take the pawn with the Queen, I thought I was in trouble and had missed something. Then I saw that I could trap your Queen with b-d3.

Green and Gold pummeled nysfl. I felt like a boxer just holding my hands in front of my face to try to deflect the worst of the damage.

He's merciless.

I don't think I've ever played a French game that turned into an open game with both queens and 4 minor pieces off the board within 15 moves, but, well, here we are.
I frequently accomplish unique feats at the chess board without even trying!

Green and Gold (5) vs. Nysfl2 (4) (1-0)

Pizzatyme (4) vs. Joffer (4) (0-1)

timschochet (3.5) vs. Mister CIA (3.5) (1-0)

wdcrop (3) vs. Steve Tasker (3.5) in progress

Sand (3) vs. Unialias (3) (1-0)

Jamny (3) vs. Brownsfan (3) in progress

Ray Karpis (3) vs. Kutta (3) in progress

Rascal (2.5) vs. Joe T (3)

Otello (2.5) vs. spOOfy (2) (1-0)

Psychopav (2) vs. Rajincajun (2)

AcerFC (2) vs. Abraham (2) (0-1)

Bogart (1.5) vs. BoomBoom (2)

TimmyPG (.5) vs. Witz (1) (1-0)

I will post final rankings once all games are finished, but here's what we know right now:

1st place: Green & Gold- 6 points

2nd place: Joffer- 5 points

3rd place: possible tie- timschochet (4.5 points) and Steve Tasker (4.5 points if he wins)

Congratulations to G&G and Joffer!! 6 points and 5 points in a 6 round tournament are outstanding performances.

I will post final rankings once all games are finished, but here's what we know right now:

1st place: Green & Gold- 6 points

2nd place: Joffer- 5 points

3rd place: possible tie- timschochet (4.5 points) and Steve Tasker (4.5 points if he wins)

Congratulations to G&G and Joffer!! 6 points and 5 points in a 6 round tournament are outstanding performances.
Does this mean I make the Interboard Chess Team?Thanks Tim

FWIW, my work went to hell yesterday afternoon. Doing my best to keep my game with Rob moving but it's very very slow moving at the moment. Apologies. At least the game doesn't have any bearing on the overall title, in the event that it takes a really long time.

Tough battle going for another 4 point team. Slow going but should finish over the weekend.
brownsfan def. jamny

Really fun game bf. I thought I had thwarted the attack and focused to soon on offense.

I'm really happy with my 3-3 though. Haven't played in probably 20 years so it's great to play again and still have some ability.

FWIW, my work went to hell yesterday afternoon. Doing my best to keep my game with Rob moving but it's very very slow moving at the moment. Apologies. At least the game doesn't have any bearing on the overall title, in the event that it takes a really long time.
I think you just resign.

I have no ulterior motive... :P

Tough battle going for another 4 point team. Slow going but should finish over the weekend.
brownsfan def. jamnyReally fun game bf. I thought I had thwarted the attack and focused to soon on offense.

I'm really happy with my 3-3 though. Haven't played in probably 20 years so it's great to play again and still have some ability.
Was a good game and a great way to start playing again. Thanks Tim for doing this

otello said:
spOOfy said:
O should be beating me soon. Lost my queen early. Need a miracle.
Always think twice when you see a free pawn early in a game.
Good advice. No idea what I was thinking there.O slaughtered me. Game ovah
When I first saw you take the pawn with the Queen, I thought I was in trouble and had missed something. Then I saw that I could trap your Queen with b-d3.
Yeah, not sure exactly what I was thinking. I decided I would try something different and go really aggressive and didn't think through that you could trap me there. After that there was really no coming back. I tried, but eventually I was trapped. A few moves and it was over. Good game.

i think this brought out a wide range in players. i enjoyed it and a few games i felt like we were pretty evenly matched. but others i felt i was just delaying the inevitable. and i can imagine it would be the same if i had faced several other players in here who have actual names for openings and so on (i've never really learned any of that, i just use the few different variations i know)

i look forward to the next one. please PM me if you don't see me sign up for it.

rascal defeats Joe T. Good game. I finally managed to avoid making a blunder and played my best game to date.

Green and Gold (5) vs. Nysfl2 (4) (1-0)

Pizzatyme (4) vs. Joffer (4) (0-1)

timschochet (3.5) vs. Mister CIA (3.5) (1-0)

wdcrop (3) vs. Steve Tasker (3.5) in progress

Sand (3) vs. Unialias (3) (1-0)

Jamny (3) vs. Brownsfan (3) (0-1)

Ray Karpis (3) vs. Kutta (3) in progress

Rascal (2.5) vs. Joe T (3) (1-0)

Otello (2.5) vs. spOOfy (2) (1-0)

Psychopav (2) vs. Rajincajun (2) (1-0)

AcerFC (2) vs. Abraham (2) (0-1)

Bogart (1.5) vs. BoomBoom (2) in progress

TimmyPG (.5) vs. Witz (1) (1-0)

Three games left...

Tried my first King's Gambit.

Accepted and successful result. I'm usually not that aggressive but it was a lot of fun.

Congrats G & G!

Tim - if you're running another of these things, count me in. Downloaded the app last week, but haven't played a game for a long while - should be fun.

dancingbones said:
Congrats G & G!

Tim - if you're running another of these things, count me in. Downloaded the app last week, but haven't played a game for a long while - should be fun.
What's your username? You can beat up on me for practice if you don't mind what's likely to be an easy win.

dancingbones said:
Congrats G & G!

Thanks, gb. If I remember correctly from the last chess event we had you know how to push the wood....

Congrats G & G!

Thanks, gb. If I remember correctly from the last chess event we had you know how to push the wood....
Gotta get back in the habit. Forgot how much I enjoy playing. If anyone wants a friendly game before the next tourney, I'm dancingbones on the app. Thx to psychopav for game earlier. :thumbsup:

Congrats G & G!

Gotta get back in the habit. Forgot how much I enjoy playing. If anyone wants a friendly game before the next tourney, I'm dancingbones on the app. Thx to psychopav for game earlier. :thumbsup:
Invite sent

Final Rankings:

6 pts

Green and Gold

5 pts

Joffer

4.5 pts

Steve Tasker

timschochet

4 pts

Brownsfan

Kutta

Nysfl2

pizzatyme

Sand

3.5 pts

Mister CIA

Otello

Rascal

3 pts

Abraham

Jamny

Joe T

Psychopav

Ray Karpis

Unialias

wdcrop

2.5 pts

Bogart

2 pts

AcerFC

BoomBoom

Rajincajun

spOOfy

1.5 pts

TimmyPG

1 pt

Witz

Is there a way to request an undo move? I know when I played on yahoo on so many years ago there was. Was kinda easy to misclick back then, but there was a move I made during this that I immediately wanted to undo. No big deal, just checking for future reference.

Is there a way to request an undo move? I know when I played on yahoo on so many years ago there was. Was kinda easy to misclick back then, but there was a move I made during this that I immediately wanted to undo. No big deal, just checking for future reference.
There's a setting that has the app require a Yes/No click to approve a move.

Users who are viewing this thread