What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

44 year old idiot gets into first fist fight - CORRECTION- runs into fist - "goal" debate settled - Studs&Duds chimes in - lawyers muck up another thr (1 Viewer)

As I’ve aged, I’ve realized that it’s not my job to teach other people lessons and it’s almost always better to de-escalate a situation rather than escalate it.

Being much bigger than him and charging him, you’re lucky he and his friends didn’t gang up on you and really hurt you, or worse, one of them attack you with a weapon. 

Hopefully that kid realizes how lucky he is that you didn’t escalate further or call the police and press charges. 

As a basketball player, I kind of get where you were coming from on the anger front.  

You had a lot more to lose than they did.  It takes a real man to take a punch, hit the high road and walk away.  Nothing good was coming from you retaliating, and it may have even drug your son into it.  Good on you.

I think you did the right thing and would have likely done the same - 

Turk

clearly ya'll aint played much ball

yes - they're called goal, like, for 40 years they've been called that

I am surprised you didn't punch back but that said, having a fist to the nose gets a person's attention - you should have filed a police report IMO
I've played plenty in multiple states and have never heard commonly called that (but for the rule book). Basket or hoop. 

Must be a regional thing. 

The FFA has always been a weird place, but for you guys who can't get past the "goal" thing, your ignorance is bringing it to another level.

Fun fact:  My great great grandfather was Naismith's professor who encouraged and helped him create the sport known today as "Basketball".  He is in the basketball hall of fame.  I'm flipping sports royalty, man.  

His name:  Luther Halsey Goalick.  And that's why today we call it a 'goal'.  :bowtie:
We could've called it a 'lick'???

Fun fact:  My great great grandfather was Naismith's professor who encouraged and helped him create the sport known today as "Basketball".  He is in the basketball hall of fame.  I'm flipping sports royalty, man.  

His name:  Luther Halsey Goalick.  And that's why today we call it a 'goal'.  :bowtie:
he's not in the goalball HOF is he now?

Obviously they were wrong demanding to use the basket, calling you those words, throwing your ball away, etc.

But if someone with 60 pounds on me is charging me in anger....and I dont have time to get away(would certainly be option #1, as I'm not a fighter and likely have more to lose than anyone who might be trying to fight me) ....I'm swinging first and my goal is doing exactly what kid did....hitting you right in the nose and stopping you in your tracks.

I haven't been in anything resembling a fight since puberty....so ZERO chance I'm letting a bigger dude with a head of steam throw the first punch when I'm not ready. Odds of me ducking it aren't great. Odds of me recovering to NOT get totally beaten down if he connects are practically non existent.

And yeah, I absolutely would have stayed and filed the police report. Sucky situation, but I want it on record that someone (whether they're a minor or not) clocked me in the face.

Last edited by a moderator:
(brown paper towels) :roflmao: nice detail
It kind of pissed me off.  It was like trying to stop the bleeding with sandpaper.  I wanted a white cloth towel, but they don't normally provide them and only have them for sale.

She gave me like 4 towels and there was blood everywhere.  I imagine they had to get the mop out and clean up my paths across the gym floor to the foyer and in and out of the locker room.  I ended up using mostly toilet paper and got some blood on one of the toilets.

When I clicked on this thread, I imagined a bar fight where you tossed a Mirko Cro Cop esque kick at the other dude for hitting on your wife or something. I'm disappointed. 

In all seriousness, good thing it didn't end up worse than that. Better to de-escalate than escalate. Sorry that this happened to you. 

If it makes you feel better, and I think you need some of that at this point, you just emboldened that kid.  And it won't be long until he runs into the wrong older, bigger man, without patience, and thinks he can get away with the same thing.  He will be calling an Amberlance.

So at least there's that.

LMAO

Doesnt sound like a fist fight to me. Sound like you got your asked kicked after running at the kid. Quite honestly I dont understand why you wouldnt let him shoot on the court when they asked the first time. Seems like a reasonable request and you're just shooting around.

jobarules said:
LMAO

Doesnt sound like a fist fight to me. Sound like you got your asked kicked after running at the kid. Quite honestly I dont understand why you wouldnt let him shoot on the court when they asked the first time. Seems like a reasonable request and you're just shooting around.
You ever tried to share a goal with 10 teenagers who aren't really basketball players?  It's beyond annoying and half your shots end up hitting another ball before getting to the rim and you can't really get much movement in.

You ever tried to share a goal with 10 teenagers who aren't really basketball players?  It's beyond annoying and half your shots end up hitting another ball before getting to the rim and you can't really get much movement in.
When they asked if they can play 1 on 1 why not suggest a 2 on 2?

Also, doing the math, you're talking about 3 additional kids shooting (10 vs 7). I dunno. 

When they asked if they can play 1 on 1 why not suggest a 2 on 2?
I actually tried to get my son to see if we couldn't get in on the 5 on 5 earlier, but he didn't want to really play but just shoot. 

Honestly it was less about me getting the goal than letting them know it wasn't OK to force all of the other kids off the court.  A part of our argument was them trying to convince me that no one else cared and me telling them that was just because they were too scared of them to say no.  I used the word "bully" a lot because that is exactly what it was.  Most of the kids were like 13-15 yr olds and these two were clearly older.  They were actually part of the 5 on 5 game when we first came in.

ETA: In my mental playback of the event, I actually thought I should have challenged them to 2 on 1 after they got belligerent because I'm pretty sure I could have beaten them or at least trucked them a couple of times in the process.

I actually tried to get my son to see if we couldn't get in on the 5 on 5 earlier, but he didn't want to really play but just shoot. 

Honestly it was less about me getting the goal than letting them know it wasn't OK to force all of the other kids off the court.  A part of our argument was them trying to convince me that no one else cared and me telling them that was just because they were too scared of them to say no.  I used the word "bully" a lot because that is exactly what it was.  Most of the kids were like 13-15 yr olds and these two were clearly older.  They were actually part of the 5 on 5 game when we first came in.
When did they start bullying you? How did they ask the first time because the way it reads they asked politely and you said "Yeah no" which sounded condescending to me and then they started bullying you. Perhaps I misunderstood.

When did they start bullying you? How did they ask the first time because the way it reads they asked politely and you said "Yeah no" which sounded condescending to me and then they started bullying you. Perhaps I misunderstood.
It went something like this:

Punks (after I dribbled through on the court they were on): "Hey, we are going to play on this court, can you go shoot on that other goal basket?"  (there are like 10 kids there already and it is just us 3 on the end).

Me: "No, I don't think that is fair to everyone else, there are too many of us for you two to have this goal basket all to yourselves."

Punks: "That's stupid no one else cares"

Me: "That's just because they are too scared to say 'no' to you"

Punks: "#### you you old ### mother ####er. I'll kick your ###"

Me: "OK kid, whatever"

And then more of that for about 2 minutes until I just go shoot on the other goal.  At one point they did go up to some poor kid who looked about 12 and asked him if he minded that they have the goal to themselves and he just kind of looked stunned and shook his head no.  Everyone on that half of the gym could hear us arguing at that point and some idiots on the sideline chimed in once or twice too.  My son was kind of dribbling around and shooting nearby as well and kept laughing at me with his airpods in.  Honestly until he chucked my ball, it was kind of normal playground ball banter which I've been a part of many times in my younger days and I was fine with it up to that point.

Harry Frogfish said:
If it makes you feel better, and I think you need some of that at this point, you just emboldened that kid.  And it won't be long until he runs into the wrong older, bigger man, without patience, and thinks he can get away with the same thing.  He will be calling an Amberlance.

So at least there's that.
jayrod leakin'

Punks (after I dribbled through on the court they were on): "Hey, we are going to play on this court, can you go shoot on that other goal basket?"  (there are like 10 kids there already and it is just us 3 on the end).

Me: "No, I don't think that is fair to everyone else, there are too many of us for you two to have this goal basket all to yourselves."

And then more of that for about 2 minutes until I just go shoot on the other goal.  At one point they did go up to some poor kid who looked about 12 and asked him if he minded that they have the goal to themselves and he just kind of looked stunned and shook his head no.  Everyone on that half of the gym could hear us arguing at that point and some idiots on the sideline chimed in once or twice too.  My son was kind of dribbling around and shooting nearby as well and kept laughing at me.  Honestly until he chucked my ball, it was kind of normal playground ball banter which I've been a part of many times in my younger days and I was fine with it up to that point.
they were probably referencing the usage of  "goal"  

It went something like this:

And then more of that for about 2 minutes until I just go shoot on the other goal.  At one point they did go up to some poor kid who looked about 12 and asked him if he minded that they have the goal to themselves and he just kind of looked stunned and shook his head no.  Everyone on that half of the gym could hear us arguing at that point and some idiots on the sideline chimed in once or twice too.  My son was kind of dribbling around and shooting nearby as well and kept laughing at me with his airpods in.  Honestly until he chucked my ball, it was kind of normal playground ball banter which I've been a part of many times in my younger days and I was fine with it up to that point.
so close

Root cause:  You didn't spend enough time in the yard.

1 - If a group gets enough people for an actual game they get the basket.  Everyone else that's just messing around/shooting around either joins the game or moves on to the next "goal".

2 - If you spent more time in the yard as a kid you would've gotten into some scraps and would have been better prepared to handle yourself.

That doesn't excuse their language and bad behavior, but you were in the wrong with #1 starting off.

Yes. It was called either a hockey game or a soccer (futbol) game. 

Both hockey and soccer players were usually pretty terrible at basketball. 

Root cause:  You didn't spend enough time in the yard.

1 - If a group gets enough people for an actual game they get the basket.  Everyone else that's just messing around/shooting around either joins the game or moves on to the next "goal".

2 - If you spent more time in the yard as a kid you would've gotten into some scraps and would have been better prepared to handle yourself.

That doesn't excuse their language and bad behavior, but you were in the wrong with #1 starting off.
This was my experience my whole life. If someone wants to play they get basket priority over those just shooting around. 

Users who are viewing this thread