What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

44 year old idiot gets into first fist fight - CORRECTION- runs into fist - "goal" debate settled - Studs&Duds chimes in - lawyers muck up another thr (1 Viewer)

TLEF316 said:
Obviously they were wrong demanding to use the basket, calling you those words, throwing your ball away, etc.

But if someone with 60 pounds on me is charging me in anger....and I dont have time to get away(would certainly be option #1, as I'm not a fighter and likely have more to lose than anyone who might be trying to fight me) ....I'm swinging first and my goal is doing exactly what kid did....hitting you right in the nose and stopping you in your tracks.

I haven't been in anything resembling a fight since puberty....so ZERO chance I'm letting a bigger dude with a head of steam throw the first punch when I'm not ready. Odds of me ducking it aren't great. Odds of me recovering to NOT get totally beaten down if he connects are practically non existent.

And yeah, I absolutely would have stayed and filed the police report. Sucky situation, but I want it on record that someone (whether they're a minor or not) clocked me in the face.
I'm seriously not sure and I'm skeptical that the goal in doing so wouldn't be met. In my jurisdiction I could see a charging agency concluding that Jayrod's goal in charging the kid was to scare him and possibly touch him (amounting to assault as a C3 misdemeanor) and that the kid's sole goal in punching Jayrod was to defend himself. Add in the fact that Jayrod was twice the kid's size and that's a lot of faith to put in the discretion of some low-level responding patrol officer. 

If Jayrod's goal was to get himself in trouble and pay a defense attorney a lot of money just to achieve the goal of walking away with no conviction, then making a report to law enforcement would have been the play. 

Yes. It was called either a hockey game or a soccer (futbol) game. 

Both hockey and soccer players were usually pretty terrible at basketball. 
OK, listen kid.  I've been around umpteen million basketball games in my life.

"Goal" is a valid and correct term.  You guys disputing this are showing how little you know about the game.

This was my experience my whole life. If someone wants to play they get basket priority over those just shooting around. 
Not 1 on 1.  You get some kind of 3 on 3 or 4 on 4 going, then OK, I'll give you a 1/2 court...but 1 on 1 is just silly with that many people in a tight space.  Many YMCA/rec center type places have unwritten rules that only 1/2 the gym can be used for organized pickup, the rest is open for anyone to shoot once it gets crowded.  There was already an organized 5 on 5 game taking up half the gym.

"Goal" is a valid and correct term.  You guys disputing this are showing how little you know about the game.
:lmao:  Okay, dad. I'm 38. 

Seriously, it must be a regional thing. I don't doubt you have played a lot and I know you ref, but I've played my share too in several states and have never heard anybody actually use the term. 

I'm seriously not sure and I'm skeptical that the goal in doing so wouldn't be met. In my jurisdiction I could see a charging agency concluding that Jayrod's goal in charging the kid was to scare him and possibly touch him (amounting to assault as a C3 misdemeanor) and that the kid's sole goal in punching Jayrod was to defend himself. Add in the fact that Jayrod was twice the kid's size and that's a lot of faith to put in the discretion of some low-level responding patrol officer. 

If Jayrod's goal was to get himself in trouble and pay a defense attorney a lot of money just to achieve the goal of walking away with no conviction, then making a report to law enforcement would have been the play. 
I honestly didn't see the benefit to me of filing a report as it would take up a bunch of my time and could lead to the kid knowing who I was and where I lived and possibly even getting me barred from the rec center.  I probably could fight something like that, but it wouldn't surprise me.

:lmao:  Okay, dad. I'm 38. 

Seriously, it must be a regional thing. I don't doubt you have played a lot and I know you ref, but I've played my share too in several states and have never heard anybody actually use the term. 
Played in my youth.   Have watched thousands of games, either live or on TV. 

First time I've ever heard/seen "goal" in relation to basketball was today.   I googled it and apparently this is a thing. 

I honestly didn't see the benefit to me of filing a report as it would take up a bunch of my time and could lead to the kid knowing who I was and where I lived and possibly even getting me barred from the rec center.  I probably could fight something like that, but it wouldn't surprise me.
Yeah I agree. I think you made the right call here.

Where are you guys from that "goal" isn't a thing?

Found this debate online as well.

On the GOALrilla website: "A few factors to consider during your search for the right basketball goal are location, frequency of use, age of players, and budget."

http://www.basketballgoalstore.com/
West coast.  Played organized ball for about 10 years in my youth, which included travel to other states.  Watch basketball regularly.   Had season tickets to the Sonics before they left Seattle.   Have never heard a single person call it a goal.   If there has ever been an announcer on TV call it a goal, I sure haven't noticed it.   

Never heard it referred to as goal either. 

Reminds me of when Al Michael’s calls the quarters in an NFL game “periods”. It annoys the #### out of me for some reason. 

Glad it all ended okay but I think you definitely could have handled it better. If I understand it correctly, you were just practice shooting (no game) but needed a full court (two goals)? Correct?

(blows out) this remind me of my friend names harry hairless. harry pretty much only does two things. One is sleep. The other is go to teh arcade. One day he was there playin dig-dug. He had been playing for like 12 hours on one quarter and was about to get not only the high score but the all time dig-dug record held by the great ronald haynes. The record is like 5 million points. Word had spread throughout the town and a large crowd had gathered to watch hairy get this historic moment, a moment that would probly be remembered for generations.

so he just needed to clear one more screen for the record. little dig-dug was moving so fast but them dragons were moving even faster so harry needed to be perfect. Some people had said that harry was in a kind of trance by this point, like he wasn't even looking at the screen but just reacting to stimuli. This isnt him but this is kind of what they say he looked like. I guess when you is the best at something there is a part of you that isn't even a real person no more. You just like ascend to a higher plane of reality. There was a dog in the arcade who said later that she could hear a different frequency coming out of harrys nose when he breathed although later on she said it might have just been a noise coming from the missle command. Either way in that moment something incredible was taking place.

Right at this time two boys names louis and billy-pop decide to place they quarters on the machine to say they is up next. louis put it on one side and billy-pop put in on the other. Louis said he put it up first but billypop said he did. nobody in the crowd could say for sure who was first and by all accounts the placement of the quarters was simultaneous. in this particular arcade when there is a tie like that the person who is currently playing the game is supposed to break the tie and say who is next but remember, harry hairless was hypnotic and so into the game that there was no way he was coherent enough to make the call. "who is first?" said louis. "he was second." said billy. then someone in the crowd yelled "third base". everybody laughed but not harry. people who knew him knew he didn't like abbott of costello but that was not why he wasnt laughing. he wasn't laughing because all the chatter had (gasps) knocked him out of his trance.

Once harry returned to regular concious it only took about 3 seconds for the dragon to eat harry's dig-dug, his last one. When the game ended everyone looked at the score and saw that he was 80 points short of the high score. 12 hours of playing and to come that close was something that harry could not handle. He blamed louis and billy-pop for asking him about who was up next and breaking his concentration. Them boys try to apologize but Harry was just getting madder and madder. It was at this moment that someone in the arcade said "hey everyone, look at Harrys eyes, he is back into that trance". Harry didn't even look at louis or billy, he just took off his belt and lashed it in louis direction, striking him in the stomach. Louis cheeks puffed out and he fell to the ground. Billy-pop said hey, you cant do that and started chasing Harry around the arcade. Right when it looked like billy was going to catch him, harry jumped up and pulled a speaker down from the ceiling. it fell right on billy's head and he fell to the ground. Everyone stood there in stunned silence when a lady said what everyone was thinking "oh my god, harry is playing dig-dug in real life".

the whole arcade was in awe. One little boy yelled out that Harry should get them points added on to he score for taking out louis and billy. The arcade owner thought about it for a minute and said he would give Harry 50 points for louis and 100 for billy but only if harry paid for the damage to the speaker. harry had spent his last quarter and didnt have no money but everyone in the crowd did a live gofundme and give him they quarters. it was just enough to pay for the speaker and now harry hairless was the alltime dig-dug champion. everybody cheered and chanted "har-ry! har-ry!" Hairy was laughing and crying at the same time and still a little bit in a trance. It was weird but nobody judged him because of what he had just accomplished. someone asked the arcade owner if they had ever seen a real life video game happen before and he said one time someone jumped a runaway barrel like in donkey kong but it happened in the parking lot so it didn't count.

many years later ronald haynes challenged Harry's score in a court on law and those points harry got for knocking out louis and billy were taken away. harry didn't mind though because what he did that day was even better then getting a hi score. what he did that day was immortal. Just a few months ago they put up a statue outside the arcade of Harry running and reaching for the speaker. engraved in the statue was harry's score that day and it included the real life points. Ron haynes will probaly sue but harry don't care. He knows in his heart what happened that day and no judge could ever take that away from him.

p and s billy pop died as a result of the speaker falling on he head

Not 1 on 1.  You get some kind of 3 on 3 or 4 on 4 going, then OK, I'll give you a 1/2 court...but 1 on 1 is just silly with that many people in a tight space.  Many YMCA/rec center type places have unwritten rules that only 1/2 the gym can be used for organized pickup, the rest is open for anyone to shoot once it gets crowded.  There was already an organized 5 on 5 game taking up half the gym.
Punch card not really a member guy comes in with unwritten rules wanting so shoot some "goals".  I'm starting to see why you might have gotten punched in the nose.

First time I've ever heard/seen "goal" in relation to basketball was today.   I googled it and apparently this is a thing. 
It’s not called basket tending. 

This reminds me of that time a bunch of psychopaths on the internet tried to convince me that Don and Dawn don't rhyme.
I mean it is called goaltending not baskettending or hooptending so we'll give you that one.  However the psychopaths are 100% correct on this one.   

I mean it is called goaltending not baskettending or hooptending so we'll give you that one.  However the psychopaths are 100% correct on this one.   
It's field goal percentage too, but that doesn't mean you call the basket a goal.

It's field goal percentage too, but that doesn't mean you call the basket a goal.
Personally I call it a hoop but I'm just shocked at those of you acting totally surprised he called it a goal when goal is referenced in basketball terminology is all.  I'd agree it's not the 1st or even 2nd term I'd use but it's not completely out of left field either.  

Personally I call it a hoop but I'm just shocked at those of you acting totally surprised he called it a goal when goal is referenced in basketball terminology is all.  I'd agree it's not the 1st or even 2nd term I'd use but it's not completely out of left field either.  
I'm starting to wonder if my familiarity is mostly due to 12 years of basketball officiating.  At least I don't use the word "try" in place of shot.

Last edited by a moderator:
You didn't get into a fight; you were attacked.

You miraculously kept your cool and acted like an adult for the most part.  

Chalk it up as an unpleasant experience.  Don't dwell on it.

The most pathetic thing in the world is seeing adult 'men' in a fight.  It's embarrassing.  You did well to avoid engaging.

What was the conversation with your son like on the way home? Was he feeling bad for you? Any chance these hoodlems go to his school?

What was it like when you got home? Anything like this?

Mrs. Jayrod: “What happened to your nose?”

Jayrod Jr: “Dad got beat up by a 17 year old.”

You see it all the time, you just never thought about it. 

Field goal % (FG%)

Three-point goal % (FG3%)

You see it all the time, you just never thought about it. 

Field goal % (FG%)

Three-point goal % (FG3%)
Right.  Those aren't the same thing.   

Nobody "drives to the goal."   It just isn't used like that.  Goaltending, field goal percentage, sure.

Hoop, rim, basket, maybe even some weird terms that only Bill Raftery uses.  Not one announcer I've ever heard has said "goal" to describe what a player is shooting at.  Even if it's a regional thing, there must not be a single basketball commentator from whatever region that is.

Root cause:  You didn't spend enough time in the yard.

1 - If a group gets enough people for an actual game they get the basket.  Everyone else that's just messing around/shooting around either joins the game or moves on to the next "goal".

2 - If you spent more time in the yard as a kid you would've gotten into some scraps and would have been better prepared to handle yourself.

That doesn't excuse their language and bad behavior, but you were in the wrong with #1 starting off.
While I agree

1 on 1 is not grounds for priority.   2 on 2 at a minimum

ETA: Is was rare if one court was running full to have a second court run fulls..... It happened but not usual.   Or if you got next and the main game ended and you were running fulls on the second court - that would instant stop so you could go run on the main

Imagine Curry drains a 3pt at the buzzer to win the championship and you hear....

GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAALLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL!!!!!!

That would be something

What was the conversation with your son like on the way home? Was he feeling bad for you? Any chance these hoodlems go to his school?

What was it like when you got home? Anything like this?

Mrs. Jayrod: “What happened to your nose?”

Jayrod Jr: “Dad got beat up by a 17 year old.”
He first said "are you going to tell mom?" which I said yes, I didn't do anything wrong so no need to hide it. I think I ended up telling her on the phone because she wasn't even home when we got back.

Then he said he was surprised I didn't do anything back to the guy.  He just kind of thought the whole thing was crazy.

And we were a ways away from his school district.  No one in that place had a clue who we were and we didn't know any of them.  This place is close to my work, but not that close to where we live.  Our normal gym is part of our church, and they are closed on Sundays which is why we were up there.  I usually just use the punch card when I want to play pickup on Tuesday or Thursday mornings because there is a group of guys closer to my age in there at that time.

There are cases where a term may not be an incorrect reference, but using it in everyday vernacular is still just wrong. Calling a basket a goal is one of those cases. It might technically be correct but it just sounds wrong.

It’s like when people call the NCAA tournament the “NC two-A’s”. 

I always thought "goal" was what they called it in the sporting goods store to indicate it was a quality product. The crappier ones were called hoops. If you saw "official backboard and goal" it would indicate it was legit. Rarely if ever heard anyone refer to it as a goal in the court though.

As far as the story goes my honest opinion is that your actions were kinda cringy. First of all, street ball rules say that an official game trumps anyone just shooting around. One on one would constitute an official game to me, maybe just barely but still official. They were nice enough to ask if you'd shoot at another basket so they could play their game. Turning them down just because it was a little crowded at the other two seems a tad dickish hence their response. If there was no other baskets to shoot at I'd be on your side but there were two other baskets to chuck shots up on. If two guys said to me they were going to play one on one and would i mind shooting at another hoop i couldn't imagine saying anything other than no problem and going to another basket. Calling them kid isn't cool either. You're basically challenging their manhood, belittling them in a pretty straightforward way. Of course they're not going to back down, especially guys at that age. Only thing worse that belittling a guy at that age in front of his bro is to do it in front of his lady. Finally, charging at them when they threw your ball is way over the line. The plan to grab their ball until they retrieve yours was an absurd one given the fact that you are a middle aged man and not a 5th grader. You ####ed around and found out is how I describe the punch. You made the right call by not filing a report as like others have said you could have been arrested and got your name and picture in the paper (with a swollen honker no less) for attempted assault of a minor. The whole thing could have been avoided if you just said no problem and chucked your shots up at one of the other hoops which would have been virtually no skin off your back.

Users who are viewing this thread