What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

49ers jump up to #3 pick in draft (3 Viewers)

Call me crazy but I think its great for both teams. The niners are so close to being dominant...if they hit on a QB, they are there IMO. And the Dolphins...wow, so much draft capitol to work with...and the team is already solid in lots of places. As long as Tua progresses I think its win win for both teams. 
Just think if they had drafted Herbert instead.

Comparable is that 4 other teams made Miami offers.  I'm going to safely assume that SF's offer wasn't MILES ahead of the other ones.
You know what they say about assuming

I just don't think I can remember a comparable like this

When I see a deal like this who is making the deal is important...Shanahan really seems to know what he is doing and if he is all in on one of these QB I like the odds of it working out.

But then the Niners are starting a rookie who by most accounts needs development. And then what do the Niners do for QB2? 
I agree with you.

It's too bad they didn't do this a little earlier, traded JG, got some draft capital and then signed fitzpatrick and saved 10 million on the books

When I see a deal like this who is making the deal is important...Shanahan really seems to know what he is doing and if he is all in on one of these QB I like the odds of it working out.
That’s about the only aspect that doesn’t have me feeling impending doom. 

RG3 years ago, which went down as a horrible trade, but the Rams blew the picks with Fisher. Even that, RG3 and Luck were really hyped up. The 3rd qb off the board here is a big overpay. 

Ok, well it's not the market price "these days", but it WAS the market price today.  Other teams made offers that were very high too, SF needed this to top them and get their guy.

Ok, well it's not the market price "these days", but it WAS the market price today.  Other teams made offers that were very high too, SF needed this to top them and get their guy.
Desperation in the market (no matter which one) rarely works out...

I agree with you.

It's too bad they didn't do this a little earlier, traded JG, got some draft capital and then signed fitzpatrick and saved 10 million on the books
Maybe they’re gonna deal a 3rd for Marriotta or Darnold. :shrug:  

Last edited by a moderator:
Here are Garoppolo's PFF grades since he moved to SF (most recent season listed first): 67.5 | 77.9 | 62.6 | 86.8. He was only halfway decent when he first got there. By comparison, Cam Newton last season was rated at 70.9 . . . and he was terrible.

IMO, SFO won in spite of Jimmy G, not because of him. The defense carried them in their SB season.
They also had a top 2 rushing offense, Jimmy G was close to bottom of the league in attempts and pretty middle of the road in most QB measures like QBR for example. He had a high completion percentage which supports the dink and dunk narrative IMO.

They also had a top 2 rushing offense, Jimmy G was close to bottom of the league in attempts and pretty middle of the road in most QB measures like QBR for example. He had a high completion percentage which supports the dink and dunk narrative IMO.
I always thought it was fairly obvious watching him play week in and week out.  

Whether they gave up 1, 2, or 3 first round picks to move up to #3, all 3 options would be overpayments if Lance sucks.  All 3 would be great deals if Lance turns out great.

That was Miami's asking price, so they took it because they didn't want to have a 9-8 record for the next 3 years and keep missing the playoffs.

Whether they gave up 1, 2, or 3 first round picks to move up to #3, all 3 options would be overpayments if Lance sucks.  All 3 would be great deals if Lance turns out great.

That was Miami's asking price, so they took it because they didn't want to have a 9-8 record for the next 3 years and keep missing the playoffs.
i understand that and the Texans made all those horrible trades in the last two years because they thought it was best too...

It doesn't make it a good decision

Miami probably sensed desperation and milked it

But then the Niners are starting a rookie who by most accounts needs development. And then what do the Niners do for QB2? 
As far as the Pats go this is the x-factor...the Niners are an odd team to be in this spot...they are good enough this year to make a deep run but they want to upgrade at QB and have just been put in a position to obtain a potential stud rookie...I just don't see them being in a spot where they are already planning on starting a rookie QB week 1 and if Lance is the target that is almost definitely not happening...if they are gonna move on from Jimmy G you would think a move to get a veteran-bridge QB has to happen as well.

Wowsers. So I'm taking the family to the zoo right now. I hope to see 10 other dominoes fall while I'm gone. Gotta assume some phones are ringing like crazy.

They panicked, no doubt about it. Even if it was for the 2nd qb off the board I could maybe be convinced. I mean, there was the thread on here a couple months ago showing how many qbs in the first have busted the last few years. This is less than a 50/50 gamble. And they aren't getting the next Mahomes. They'll be lucky to get a top 10 qb.

I always thought it was fairly obvious watching him play week in and week out.  
It’s also chicken & the egg. 

Who exactly did the Niners have at WR to go deep to? 

I’ll wait. 

Jimmy’s thrown plenty of deep balls to Kittle over the years. 

Context still matters. 

All I can really add is stupid, stupid Texans.  If SF was this desperate to trade up to 3 and other teams were in the mix, the haul they could have gotten for Watson after burning the bridges and before his allegations broke must have been insane.

i understand that and the Texans made all those horrible trades in the last two years because they thought it was best too...
Trading away star players is different.

Do you agree that if Lance turns out to be a pro bowl QB then this was a cheap deal for SF?

It’s also chicken & the egg. 

Who exactly did the Niners have at WR to go deep to? 

I’ll wait. 

Jimmy’s thrown plenty of deep balls to Kittle over the years. 

Context still matters. 
The context is he grades out poorly though.  Really poorly...

Do you agree that if Lance turns out to be a pro bowl QB then this was a cheap deal for SF?

I still think it was too high of a price because there is no guarantee and the odds aren't' that different that whoever they took at 12 wasn't going to all-pro world changer as well.

The team is talented right now.  The defense could potentially carry them to the superbowl

You have to figure NE is chomping at the bit to get him
NE is still better off making a deal like the Niners just made to move up to 2 (NYJ) or 4 (ATL) to take a QB. They have someone at Wilson's pro day today. Garoppolo just isn't that good. Maybe NE can turn him into a game manager and win on running the ball and having a top defense, but that limits the type of game they could play.

The context is he grades out poorly though.  Really poorly...
Hard to grade out well with either no one at WR (early seasons) or no OL / injured (later seasons).

In their super bowl year, last his prime Emmanuel Sanders was their WR1.

I’d like to at least see a season with Debo/Aiyuk to properly evaluate JimmyG. 

Hard to grade out well with either no one at WR (early seasons) or no OL / injured (later seasons).

He still grades out really poorly, like Cam Newton last year really poorly

The second part of this argument is even his coach thinks selling the future down the river to get a qb was important enough right now. That says a ton about his confidence in JG

NE is still better off making a deal like the Niners just made to move up to 2 (NYJ) or 4 (ATL) to take a QB. They have someone at Wilson's pro day today. Garoppolo just isn't that good. Maybe NE can turn him into a game manager and win on running the ball and having a top defense, but that limits the type of game they could play.
Much like JimmyG in SF, the players NE has to throw to limits the type of game they could play. 

Might as well stick with Cam and trade up to draft a WR, unless ya think Harry is  gonna transform into Jerry Rice this offseason. :shrug:  

Unfortunately I see zero chance of the Jets doing that type of deal with the Pats...if they want to be safe as far as obtaining a rookie QB in this draft they should be on the phone with Atlanta.

Just because you do something incredibly stupid and it works out, doesn't mean it was a good move in the first place. You can't expect to get lucky and make your decisions like that. You just don't get that.

And a pro bowl doesn't mean anything. This will be a success if he's a 10+ year starter and top 10 qb.

I still think it was too high of a price because there is no guarantee and the odds aren't' that different that whoever they took at 12 wasn't going to all-pro world changer as well.

The team is talented right now.  The defense could potentially carry them to the superbowl
Not in that division it can't.

I thought he fell in the draft because he was a flawed qb that panicked as soon as there was any pressure. That's who he turned out to be. Having said that, the 49ers have such a strong team I'd have stuck with him and tried to take the ball out of his hands. They can win with defense and the running game.

I thought he fell in the draft because he was a flawed qb that panicked as soon as there was any pressure. That's who he turned out to be. Having said that, the 49ers have such a strong team I'd have stuck with him and tried to take the ball out of his hands. They can win with defense and the running game.
I agree with this

He could have been their Trent Dilfer

Users who are viewing this thread