What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

49ers jump up to #3 pick in draft (1 Viewer)

As a 49ers fan this is a terrible trade.  what a bounty to give up to the dolphins
We don't know how things will turn out, but as a NE fan, I will use this as an example. The Patriots last three first round picks were WR N'Keal Harry, OT Isaiah Wynn, and RB Sony Michael. With their last 3rd round compensatory pick they selected TE Dalton Keene. So yeah, NE fans would have been overjoyed if a couple of years ago if they bundled up the package the Niners just gave the Dolphins to land their post-Brady franchise quarterback. 

As a 49ers fan this is a terrible trade.  what a bounty to give up to the dolphins
Going to join the chorus who see's it differently.

I believe Kyle is the best offensive mind in the game and one of the best at developing QB's. Jimmy G was so/so and often injured and he saw a shot to get a hand picked QB on a cheap rookie deal that gives him a chance to marry his gifted offensive mind with a QB who can execute his plan.

We don't know how things will turn out, but as a NE fan, I will use this as an example. The Patriots last three first round picks were WR N'Keal Harry, OT Isaiah Wynn, and RB Sony Michael. With their last 3rd round compensatory pick they selected TE Dalton Keene. So yeah, NE fans would have been overjoyed if a couple of years ago if they bundled up the package the Niners just gave the Dolphins to land their post-Brady franchise quarterback. 
Of course we don't know for sure.  But everyone of those late round pics could have also been aaron rodgers.  

I just don't trust either of those qbs to be the next mahones or rodgers and that's a ton of draft capital to give up

Wow, it’s true. 

If the Niners pick poorly it’ll sink them. 

To those saying they overpaid, this is a fraction of what it would have taken to get Watson, so in that light, not too bad. But it has to hit. 
3 firsts is a fraction of the cost of Watson? I mean this is RG3 trade territory for the 3rd qb off the board. This is Vikings, Cowyboys, Hershel Walker territory.

The good news for the 49ers is they've done a good job managing Jimmy G's contract, unlike a few others in the league ...

Andrew Brandt @AndrewBrandt

Have praised the 49ers Cap management of Jimmy G contract, took a $37M first-year Cap hit, allowed for flexibility with him down the road. Dead money to move on from Jimmy G now is under $3M. A far cry from players like Wentz ($34M) and Goff ($22M).

Going to join the chorus who see's it differently.

I believe Kyle is the best offensive mind in the game and one of the best at developing QB's. Jimmy G was so/so and often injured and he saw a shot to get a hand picked QB on a cheap rookie deal that gives him a chance to marry his gifted offensive mind with a QB who can execute his plan.
I hope that is the case but Kyle was also supposed to get Jimmy G going...that didn't happen

Well of course with all this stuff around him his value isn't as great either but if we are talking talent and career
Ya but that's baked into it.  They prob don't want Watson now.

So sure there might be a 1% chance Lance is as good as Watson, but there's a 0.001% chance that Jimmy or a qb they could get at pick 12 will be as good as Watson.

I hope that is the case but Kyle was also supposed to get Jimmy G going...that didn't happen
Night and day.

Other then Jimmy G not staying healthy that was a second round pick they gave up. The market of available QB's for them at that time was basically Jimmy G. That's a lot different to me then identifying a QB you want to take at 3.

JimmyG took them to the Super Bowl & had a lead in the 4th quarter. 

JG gets a lot of grief for overthrowing Sanders on 4th down at the end of the game, but It wasn’t JimmyG who let Tyreek Hill get open on 3rd & 17 a few plays before that. 

JimmyG’s issues have been staying healthy. 

JimmyG took them to the Super Bowl & had a lead in the 4th quarter. 

JG gets a lot of grief for overthrowing Sanders on 4th down at the end of the game, but It wasn’t JimmyG who let Tyreek Hill get open on 3rd & 17 a few plays before that. 

JimmyG’s issues have been staying healthy. 
We see his performances very differently

Call me crazy but I think its great for both teams. The niners are so close to being dominant...if they hit on a QB, they are there IMO. And the Dolphins...wow, so much draft capitol to work with...and the team is already solid in lots of places. As long as Tua progresses I think its win win for both teams. 

For a player who will cost 3 1st and 1 3rd round rookie picks, he has to be much more than Jimmy G. 
Well yes of course. I was using the old “running from the bear” joke - sorry, perhaps that was too subtle for sarcasm. 

He has to be much better than JimmyG. But we also get to keep Kinlaw & Bosa.

Clearly the Niners see a window to win games & having a young QB to develop is part of that window. 

The good news for the 49ers is they've done a good job managing Jimmy G's contract, unlike a few others in the league ...
It's good for SF that they won't have to take a big cap hit to move on from Garoppolo. The problem is, it's unlikely they will be able to trade him (or if they can, they probably won't get a ton back for him). He has two seasons left on his contract at $25M a season. Only 5 teams have that much cap room left for this season (DEN, JAX, IND, NYJ, and LAC). NE would be the likely trade partner, but they are down to $11M in cap space after going on a drunken bender in free agency.

Call me crazy but I think its great for both teams. The niners are so close to being dominant...if they hit on a QB, they are there IMO. And the Dolphins...wow, so much draft capitol to work with...and the team is already solid in lots of places. As long as Tua progresses I think its win win for both teams. 
The problem is that it's a rookie qb and are the 49ers going to be dominant 3 years from now when they are hitting their stride

It's good for SF that they won't have to take a big cap hit to move on from Garoppolo. The problem is, it's unlikely they will be able to trade him (or if they can, they probably won't get a ton back for him). He has two seasons left on his contract at $25M a season. Only 5 teams have that much cap room left for this season (DEN, JAX, IND, NYJ, and LAC). NE would be the likely trade partner, but they are down to $11M in cap space after going on a drunken bender in free agency.
I don’t think they’d have any interest in dealing JimmyG. They’ve been struggling to find a backup QB in FA, and just made this deal to lock up a rookie. If they traded JimmyG they’d be right back where they started. 

Garappolo is the starter headed into the season,I’m sure.

WOW - I'm giddy.

The Tunsil trade got Miami 4 first round picks and a 3rd round pick - thank you Bill O'Brien !!!

2 first round picks for the next 4 years for Miami.

Building through the draft and around Tua. Now they just need to hit on those picks.

I actually think they do

Jimmy was not a good qb in my opinion nor is he going to be.  He has poor decision making skills and panics in the pocket
When the OL was half hurt, that’s sort of accurate.  Context does matter. When he was healthy all year he led them to the super bowl. That’s just facts. 

When the OL was half hurt, that’s sort of accurate.  Context does matter. When he was healthy all year he led them to the super bowl. That’s just facts. 
By dinking and dunking in Kyle's offense.  He performs well when he doesn't have to throw it far or make a decision.

That being said we don't have to argue about it, we have different opinions on him

Miami must be in love with one of the top receivers. Or getting ready to trade again. 
Huge for Miami.  They were probably after Pitts or one of those WR's anyways at pick 3.  They just got a free 2023 1st and 2021 3rd and still can get their guy.

Or did Miami do all this to trade for Deshaun Watson? Trade the 2nd first rounder in 2021, Their first rounder left in 2022, and both first rounders in 2023. They get Watson and the best WR left at pick number 6 this year. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Huge for Miami.  They were probably after Pitts or one of those WR's anyways at pick 3.  They just got a free 2023 1st and 2021 3rd and still can get their guy.
And with the 49ers going with a rookie qb in a tough division those pics might be pretty good too

What if the QB turns out to be Mahomes #2. It's a risk worth taking, and they were competing with 3 other teams per Barry Jackson. 

This gives Miami some draft capital for a future QB, if Tua bombs or gets injured.
I used to gamble for a living, pretty successfully, and it's thinking like this that ensures there's always plenty of losers. Maybe they should have paid 3 first to move down. They could get Mahomes and pay him less money with a later pick. Shark move.

Here are Garoppolo's PFF grades since he moved to SF (most recent season listed first): 67.5 | 77.9 | 62.6 | 86.8. He was only halfway decent when he first got there. By comparison, Cam Newton last season was rated at 70.9 . . . and he was terrible.

IMO, SFO won in spite of Jimmy G, not because of him. The defense carried them in their SB season.

Here are Garoppolo's PFF grades since he moved to SF (most recent season listed first): 67.5 | 77.9 | 62.6 | 86.8. He was only halfway decent when he first got there. By comparison, Cam Newton last season was rated at 70.9 . . . and he was terrible.

IMO, SFO won in spite of Jimmy G, not because of him. The defense carried them in their SB season.
That's what i see

Users who are viewing this thread