What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

______ Passed Away Today, RIP (2 Viewers)

I'm sorry for your loss, Charlie. I think I know where her "unknown reserve of silent bravery" came from. It came from love. Her strong will was powered by her love for her children. Her love for you. She sounds like she was an amazing person and mother in many ways. I'm glad she and your family were blessed with her passing in peace. 🙏

My condolences on your loss, Charlie. I hope you're able to be at peace in these upcoming weeks and months. Best to you.
Thanks, @rockaction and everyone else who has responded to my post. TBH, it's a relief that she went so 'soon'. Her closest friend spent years in a home not knowing who she was because of dementia, which to me looks like a fate worse than death. The months she spent in that condition was bad enough, and toward the end, the person that was my mother wasn't there any more.

She asked for only a memorial service, and I think I'm going to ask to speak instead of the pastor, who didn't know her. I'd like to share with everyone what I think is the best takeaway from her passing, and that is the example she lived of not letting the things that had traumatized her rule her life. My dad describes her as 'constantly optimistic', and I think that's appropriate, which considering what little I know of the real traumas she endured, makes her outlook on life--and the wisdom she tried to impart to me--even more improbable and amazing. Not saying she has a monopoly on suffering, but rather what she did with the suffering she did face her whole life is an example more of us should follow.

My dad describes her as 'constantly optimistic', and I think that's appropriate, which considering what little I know of the real traumas she endured, makes her outlook on life--and the wisdom she tried to impart to me--even more improbable and amazing. Not saying she has a monopoly on suffering, but rather what she did with the suffering she did face her whole life is an example more of us should follow.

Sounds like you have a head start on the words you'd like to impart at the service to have people remember her by. That very much sounds like grace.

My condolences on your loss, Charlie. I hope you're able to be at peace in these upcoming weeks and months. Best to you.
Thanks, @rockaction and everyone else who has responded to my post. TBH, it's a relief that she went so 'soon'. Her closest friend spent years in a home not knowing who she was because of dementia, which to me looks like a fate worse than death. The months she spent in that condition was bad enough, and toward the end, the person that was my mother wasn't there any more.

She asked for only a memorial service, and I think I'm going to ask to speak instead of the pastor, who didn't know her. I'd like to share with everyone what I think is the best takeaway from her passing, and that is the example she lived of not letting the things that had traumatized her rule her life. My dad describes her as 'constantly optimistic', and I think that's appropriate, which considering what little I know of the real traumas she endured, makes her outlook on life--and the wisdom she tried to impart to me--even more improbable and amazing. Not saying she has a monopoly on suffering, but rather what she did with the suffering she did face her whole life is an example more of us should follow.
Condolences, my friend. I lost my dad to that disease 9 years ago.

She sounds like a real badasssss to me, Charlie. Sorry for your loss, I wish you peace and appreciate you sharing part of her life with us. The human spirit can be an amazingly resilient force.

Tony Bennett…96
I was listening to Jazz FM 91 in Toronto when I head. The DJ was choked up about how much TB impacted her career as a jazz artist and how giving he was.

To me, this is why this thread exists.

Tony Bennett…96
should have left his heart in his chest instead and he might well still be alive.
I'm sorry, but I gotta :lmao: at that.

@Charlie Steiner ... deepest condolences and all my best to you and your family. your loss is hitting close to home- so I genuinely appreciate how youv'e been sharing your thoughts.
I really appreciate the sentiment; I can't repeat enough how my mother's passing and the manner of it has convinced me that we ALL need to be storytellers. I saw her slowly, painfully lose herself over the last 6-9 months, and once you lose yourself, that is a fate worse than death.

As I mentioned, I have asked my father that I be allowed to speak at her memorial service, and I've had too many ideas about what to say, although I know that I want everyone to take away something useful about her life and outlook on it.

That’s a real downer. She was an incredible person and all that BS she took for ripping up the Pope’s picture was such ****. She was right. This one hits me hard right now.
Yeah she had a troubled youth that im guessing was impacted by abuse at the hand of clergy.
But she was a damn fine singer that was blessed and cursed by her magnificent cover of the Prince song.

The Lion and the Cobra was an awesome album.

RIP.
Self recorded, self written and self produced at 19 years old and pregnant. I think pretty much homeless as well. The realest one for sure.
Record exec told her to have an abortion. She refused.
Told her to pretty up and look more glamorous so she shaved her head

She had a complex relationship with Bono of U2. Most of the complex was on her side.
Bonos greatest strength is his incredible empathy and he has been nothing but supportive of her. On his 60th birthday he posted letters to his 60 fave artists and she was one.
In her deepest suicidal moments she stated “O’Connor once said she has to stay alive just so Bono wouldn’t speak at her funeral”
U2’s Bono Once Shared What He Really Thinks of Sinéad O’Connor – While She Said He’s 1 of Her Main Reasons for Living

Irish singers Sinéad O’Connor and Bono could never be called retiring wallflowers. Both the “Nothing Compares 2 U” artist and the lead singer of iconic band U2 are known for speaking what’s on their minds, no matter the repercussions.

And so, it was revealing to hear Bono’s true, nothing-held-back feelings about his polarizing compatriot and fellow artist – while O’Connor once stated that for her, Bono is a great motivation to live life to the fullest.

Bono’s true heart for O’Connor

For the “Vertigo” artist, O’Connor is one of those artists that he says “stole” his heart.

“I heard your voice first as a teenager,” he wrote in his moving note to O’Connor. “Maybe you were 15 or 16. It was a demo of a song called [Take my Hand] from Steve Wickham’s newly formed band in Tua Nua and I felt I had stumbled upon a new land with its own unique voice.

“I was as impressed as everyone else with all the great singing and songs along the way,” he continued, “but the next time I was moved like this was at a solo show here in Dublin where you sang [“You Made Me the Thief of Your Heart“] and you stole my heart all over again.”

O’Connor once said she has to stay alive just so Bono wouldn’t speak at her funeral

The Irish singer who prefers to be known as a protest artist, has never minced her words in regards to Bono.

In 2018, O’Connor who changed her name to Shuhada’ Davitt after adopting the Muslim faith, posted a video to Facebook, admitting that she had in the past felt she did not want to live anymore.

But a year later, she joked about the things that give her a reason to live. And Bono is chief among them, she tweeted.

“You wanna know what finally stops me whenever I feel suicidal (rarely) since 2016 (ain’t done anything silly since then) is the idea Bono might speak at my funeral ; ) #ReasonsToKeepLiving,” she began.

For the Irish chanteuse, just the thought of Bono speaking in flowery language at her funeral, she said, keeps her going strong.

“He’d sh**e on, is the thing. ‘But oh, didn’t we love her, national treasure’ – bleh. Reasons for living, definitely best reason for living. Must stay alive longer than Bono.”

Then, in a sorry/not sorry apology to the “With or Without You” singer, she said, “Sorry Bono, but I couldn’t f***ing resist.”

Bono wrote 60 love letters for his 60th birthday

For his 60th birthday in 2020, the artist selected 60 songs that each represented a year of his life. From Billie Eilish to David Bowie to The Beatles, Bono poured his heart of gratitude out to each artist.

Some of his choices are pieces he performed in, while many are simply songs that he, “couldn’t have lived without…,” he wrote in an open letter on the official U2 website and on Instagram, “the ones that got me from there to here, zero to 60… through all the scrapes, all manner of nuisance, from the serious to the silly… and the joy, mostly joy.”

Since Bono is Bono, he posted on the website a public letter to each of the artists that have somehow touched his life.

“I wanted to thank the artists,” he said, “and everyone who helped make them. . . They were doing the same for me. I am writing a fan letter to accompany each song to try and explain my fascination.”

A friend of mine who's a music writer wrote a particularly beautiful (IMO) bit about Sinead.

I interviewed Sinead O'Connor twice, once in 1997 and the second in 2013. The first time I was kind of worried because I didn't know what to expect and, surprise, she was hilarious and smart and warm. The second time she was the same but even more open to the brutal truths in her life.
I'm not sure if anyone younger than Gen-Xers can fathom what it was like to hear Sinead O'Connor for the first time. She looked and sounded completely different than anyone and anything on the charts. I remember being confused. She was both dangerous and vulnerable and she had integrity — imagine that. Makes perfect sense she was the only one our age (besides Eddie Vedder) invited to that Dylan birthday bash in the Garden where it was clear that people like Roger McGuinn and George Harrison considered her a peer.
She got branded because of what she looked like, and the Pope, and both trailed her for the rest of her life. Those things of course had nothing to do with the music, but mass media feeds on images and not context, so she was doomed. And all the talk about needing 'safe spaces' to openly talk about mental health in our society? The colossal amount of **** she took right up to the end reveals the farce. (As my story notes below, even Miley Cyrus was posting mean girl memes about SO'C just a few years ago.)
I couldn't believe how good Sinead O'Connor was when I saw her at Symphony Center and later at the Vic -- a reggae show when she was backed by Sly and Robbie(!), and much later at City Winery. The later records turned more toward the divine — modern gospel songs that sounded exquisite but still thirsty for justice. She made music for adults because she was one herself, so in playing to adults, her generation, those recent songs about wanting to lock hands with God despite his dirty hands -- I'm not sure there could be better voice for that universal, hard, but beautiful kind of music.
Her death today made me think of conformity, how the expectation for young artists to fit fashion and music templates is accelerating. AI is the ultimate corporate conformity of course. Once that takes over, the world Sinead occupied, as did so many others, will be gone. We were the lucky ones to be there from the start. RIP.

With all the controversy that surrounded her, it is easy to forget she was an incredibly talented singer.
I recently watched "Nothing Compares" a great documentary about her career.
That sent me looking for a copy of "I Do Not Want..." on vinyl. I just listened to it last week. Amazing.
It was surprising (and yet not) to read she was diagnosed bipolar. I won't remember the controversy. I'll remember being 17 and listening to Lion and the Cobra for the first time in awe. Utter awe. Troy will always be unparalleled for me.

ETA: I have to also mention Jerusalem was another gem from Lion/Cobra for anyone who hasn't heard.

Last edited:
That’s a real downer. She was an incredible person and all that BS she took for ripping up the Pope’s picture was such ****. She was right. This one hits me hard right now.
Yeah she had a troubled youth that im guessing was impacted by abuse at the hand of clergy.
But she was a damn fine singer that was blessed and cursed by her magnificent cover of the Prince song.

The Lion and the Cobra was an awesome album.

RIP.
Self recorded, self written and self produced at 19 years old and pregnant. I think pretty much homeless as well. The realest one for sure.
Record exec told her to have an abortion. She refused.
Told her to pretty up and look more glamorous so she shaved her head

She had a complex relationship with Bono of U2. Most of the complex was on her side.
Bonos greatest strength is his incredible empathy and he has been nothing but supportive of her. On his 60th birthday he posted letters to his 60 fave artists and she was one.
In her deepest suicidal moments she stated “O’Connor once said she has to stay alive just so Bono wouldn’t speak at her funeral”
U2’s Bono Once Shared What He Really Thinks of Sinéad O’Connor – While She Said He’s 1 of Her Main Reasons for Living

Irish singers Sinéad O’Connor and Bono could never be called retiring wallflowers. Both the “Nothing Compares 2 U” artist and the lead singer of iconic band U2 are known for speaking what’s on their minds, no matter the repercussions.

And so, it was revealing to hear Bono’s true, nothing-held-back feelings about his polarizing compatriot and fellow artist – while O’Connor once stated that for her, Bono is a great motivation to live life to the fullest.

Bono’s true heart for O’Connor

For the “Vertigo” artist, O’Connor is one of those artists that he says “stole” his heart.

“I heard your voice first as a teenager,” he wrote in his moving note to O’Connor. “Maybe you were 15 or 16. It was a demo of a song called [Take my Hand] from Steve Wickham’s newly formed band in Tua Nua and I felt I had stumbled upon a new land with its own unique voice.

“I was as impressed as everyone else with all the great singing and songs along the way,” he continued, “but the next time I was moved like this was at a solo show here in Dublin where you sang [“You Made Me the Thief of Your Heart“] and you stole my heart all over again.”

O’Connor once said she has to stay alive just so Bono wouldn’t speak at her funeral

The Irish singer who prefers to be known as a protest artist, has never minced her words in regards to Bono.

In 2018, O’Connor who changed her name to Shuhada’ Davitt after adopting the Muslim faith, posted a video to Facebook, admitting that she had in the past felt she did not want to live anymore.

But a year later, she joked about the things that give her a reason to live. And Bono is chief among them, she tweeted.

“You wanna know what finally stops me whenever I feel suicidal (rarely) since 2016 (ain’t done anything silly since then) is the idea Bono might speak at my funeral ; ) #ReasonsToKeepLiving,” she began.

For the Irish chanteuse, just the thought of Bono speaking in flowery language at her funeral, she said, keeps her going strong.

“He’d sh**e on, is the thing. ‘But oh, didn’t we love her, national treasure’ – bleh. Reasons for living, definitely best reason for living. Must stay alive longer than Bono.”

Then, in a sorry/not sorry apology to the “With or Without You” singer, she said, “Sorry Bono, but I couldn’t f***ing resist.”

Bono wrote 60 love letters for his 60th birthday

For his 60th birthday in 2020, the artist selected 60 songs that each represented a year of his life. From Billie Eilish to David Bowie to The Beatles, Bono poured his heart of gratitude out to each artist.

Some of his choices are pieces he performed in, while many are simply songs that he, “couldn’t have lived without…,” he wrote in an open letter on the official U2 website and on Instagram, “the ones that got me from there to here, zero to 60… through all the scrapes, all manner of nuisance, from the serious to the silly… and the joy, mostly joy.”

Since Bono is Bono, he posted on the website a public letter to each of the artists that have somehow touched his life.

“I wanted to thank the artists,” he said, “and everyone who helped make them. . . They were doing the same for me. I am writing a fan letter to accompany each song to try and explain my fascination.”
Interesting. She did a great song with Edge ... Heroine.

I always thought it was interesting who came after her for tearing up the photo - Sinatra, Madonna, etc. and who supported her during that time - Kristofferson, Dylan, etc.
Again, I can't recommend highly enough the documentary " Nothing Compares". Even if you think you remember all of the details of the controversy or her career as a whole.
It really opened my eyes.

Sorry to hear, Mr. Steiner.... I can sympathize to a degree. I feel somewhat numb to my dad's death back in January only because I had a chance to slowly "grieve" for him as he slowly succumbed to cancer over a couple of years. I still feel sad for his passing mostly for my mom who was with him for almost 60 years, but part of me is happy that I got to spend some quality time with him over his last days. I hope that you got the same.

As for Tony Bennett, just hearing of his passing through this thread (don't follow news much). What a man.

Heard about Sinead through Facebook posts (surprised I didn't hear about Bennett the same way). And honestly thought she had previously passed but obviously mixed her and the girl from the Cranberries mixed up.

Godspeed to all...

Original Story by Aaron J. Sams (2016-05-24)​

Sinead has a rich history with U2 over the years and we wanted to take a look back, not at the disputes she has been involved in, but at the music she has made with the band.

Heroine“ and the soundtrack to Captive

Sinéad worked with U2 even before her own solo career. As the lead singer of Ton Ton Macoute, she had managed to acquire a manager, Fachtna O’Ceallaigh, who was the former head of U2’s own Mother Records. And that tie to U2 would lead to one of her very first recorded solo performances, a song called “Heroine“. The song was co-written with U2’s The Edge for the film Captive. The song featured the Edge, as well as Larry Mullen on drums, and the song was released to promote the movie. Sinéad had previously worked with In Tua Nua on a single “Take My Hand”, and who had been considered for lead singer of that band. However, being too young to tour at just 16 she was passed up for the lead in the band. The band would include Vinnie Kilduff who had played on U2’s “October” album, and Steve Wickham who would go on to play with the Waterboys.

The single featured the a mix called the 7-Inch Version, as well as a second mix of the song “Heroine”. Upon close comparison there appears to be little difference between the version on the 7-Inch single and that on the soundtrack album other than a few seconds of blank space at the end of the track. The song isn’t even labelled as a different mix on the 7-Inch and instead labels it as “Theme from Captive” just like the soundtrack does. On both sources it is listed as being remixed by Steve Lillywhite. The second mix of “Heroine” adds a longer instrumental introduction, and fades out with Sinéad’s vocals still prominent instead of the instrumental ending found on the soundtrack.

The single “Heroine“ was released on 12-Inch and 7-Inch vinyl. The song entered the UK charts on October 4, 1986 at number 89. Edge spoke about the work on Captive in U2 by U2 “We recorded one song with a very young singer called Sinead O’Connor. It was a welcome change from working with the band, and I made some discoveries that I brought back with me, one of which was actually a Michael Brook invention, the Infinite guitar, which was to become a very important part of the next U2 record.”

After the release of “Heroine“ Sinéad became quite outspoken about U2, and made a number of negative comments about the band, and specifically Bono in the media. At the time it looked like she was doing her best to separate herself from the band and many assumed she would never work with them again.

You Made Me the Thief of Your Heart“ and the soundtrack to In the Name of the Father

In 1993 Bono joined with Gavin Friday to work on the soundtrack to the film In the Name of the Father. They worked together on a number of songs, including “Billy Boola” and “In the Name of the Father” which they also performed on the soundtrack. A third song, “You Made Me the Thief of Your Heart” was recorded by Sinéad O’Connor for use in the movie. A fourth song, “The Father and His Wife the Spirit” was only found as an extra track on the single for “You Made Me the Thief of Your Heart”. The single was released with the one b-side, as well as a number of remixes of the title track. “You Made Me the Thief of Your Heart” was nominated for a Golden Globe award that year. The songs were recorded at STS Studios in Dublin, the room lit only by candle and Sinéad arrived with a doll to sing to, and a vase of flowers, and the session lasted until 2:30 in the morning. By all accounts it was an interesting recording session.

In the US there was no commercial release of the single, but in the UK, the single reached number 42 on the charts and spent 4 weeks in total on the chart.

“I’m Not Your Baby” and the soundtrack to The End of Violence

The 1997 movie The End of Violence was directed by Wim Wenders, and written by Nicholas Klein and was produced while another movie they were working on, The Million Dollar Hotel was on hiatus. The movie was released on September 12, 1997. The soundtrack to the film, released the same week, featured a new song by U2, called “I’m Not Your Baby” which features vocals shared between Bono and Sinéad O’Connor. The song had been recorded in April of 1997 and the final editing and mixing of the song was undertaken at San Diego’s Signature Sound Studio on April 28th both before and after the PopMart Concert held at Jack Murphy Stadium. The band also re-recorded “Last Night on Earth” during the same recording sessions. U2 has had a long history contributing music to Wim Wenders movies, starting after their first meeting in 1990 to film a video for “Night and Day”. U2 has contributed music to “Until the End of the World” (1991), “Faraway So Close” (1993), “Beyond the Clouds” (1995), as well as to movies after “The End of the Violence” including “Million Dollar Hotel” (2000) and “Don’t Come Knocking” (2005).
When asked about their favorite songs that the band has worked on over the years, Larry Mullen singled out “I’m Not Your Baby” as one of his favorites.

“This is a Rebel Song”
Sinéad has never been afraid to poke at U2. And this song has been suggested to be one such poke. Bono famously introduced “Sunday Bloody Sunday” as “This is not a rebel song, this song is…” and Sinéad offers up a play on that introduction titling this song “This is a Rebel Song”. It’s a love song, but it is about Ireland, and that becomes clear. But the title serves to remind us that it is a rebel song, in case we missed it in the lyrics. And perhaps offered a chance to be seen as being opposed to U2 yet again in the media.
“Bullet the Blue Sky” on the Elevation Tour
In 2001, U2 was on the Elevation Tour, and when the second leg started they decided to mix up the introduction to “Bullet the Blue Sky”. Gone was the intro by The Blind Boys of Alabama that had been heard through arenas on the first leg in North America, for the second leg in Europe a new piece was included, featuring vocals by Sinéad. The piece can be found on the U2 Go Home: Live from Slane Castle DVD, but is not titled in the release notes for that DVD. It is also present on the fan club releasewhich contained the audio from the Slane video release. The piece by Sinéad runs about 0:55 at the start of “Bullet the Blue Sky”.

Sinéad Compilations​

Sinéad has included her songs with U2 on a number of albums that she has released. “I’m Not Your Baby” appears on her compilation Collaborations, and it also appears on the fan club release from U2 called Duals. “Heroine”, the song she did with The Edge, has appeared on two compilation albums, Collaborations and So Far…The Best Of. So Far…The Best Of also included the song that Bono co-wrote for Sinéad to perform, “You Made Me The Thief of Your Heart”. And for those looking for another version of “You Made Me The Thief of Your Heart” can find a live version of the song, from an October 26, 2002 performance in Dublin as part of Sinéad’s She Who Dwells… compilation.
The Ballad of Ronnie Drew“ and Band Aid 30
Sinéad seems a bit more open to work with U2 these days. In 2008, she worked with U2 on the charity single “The Ballad of Ronnie Drew“, a song highlighting the career of famed Dublin musician Ronnie Drew. The song debuted at number 1 in the Irish charts and the receipts from the sale of the single went to the Irish Cancer Society. Sinéad participated in both the recording of the song, and also appears in the video filmed during the recording. She also took part in a live appearance to promote the song which can be seen below:

In 2014, ebola was hitting Africa hard, and it being the 30th anniversary of the original recording of “Do They Know it’s Christmas?“ Bob Geldof put the band back together for another recording of the song. It was mostly new faces, but Bono returned to the song for his third time, this time singing a slightly altered line from what he normally would. And for the first time ever, Sinéad would join the collective, and would participate in this new recording of the song. The video for the song can be watched below:

Users who are viewing this thread