What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

______ Passed Away Today, RIP (4 Viewers)

Both a fun and touching moment: Shortly before the 1986 Prince's Trust All-Star Concert in Wembley Arena, a large contingent of British rock-&-roll royalty + more jockeyed to get into a large group photo with Tina Turner. Later, a popular poster was made of one of the photos. I wish we could post photos here, but here's a link.

Let's see who's in that shot -- most are easy, but there's a few I'm blanking on.

Back row, left to right:
Mark King (Level 42)
[Guy in shades?] EDIT: Ray Cooper, Elton John's touring drummer
Bryan Adams

[Guy in white jacket?] EDIT: Midge Ure (Ultravox)
[Guy in black jacket & blue shirt, Brian May haircut?] EDIT: John Illsley (Dire Straits)
Joan Armatrading
Paul Young

[Guy in black T-shirt with white writing on it, looks super-familiar?] EDIT: Rick Parfitt (Status Quo)

Middle row, left to right:
[Guy in gray suit & tie?] EDIT: Francis Rossi (Status Quo)
Elton John
Eric Clapton
Mark Knopfler

Front row, left to right:
Rod Stewart
Paul McCartney
Tina Turner
Phil Collins

[Guy in baggy brown suit?] EDIT: This is Howard Jones

ALL MY LIKES!

Ray Stevenson rip

I loved this guy. First saw him in Rome on hbo and then as black beard on black sails. Great actor and I'm gonna miss him. 58? Way too young wtf! 13 brother!

He was outstanding in Rome. That was a very good series, IMO. I might need to re-watch this one.

one of my favorites. wish it was longer than the 2 seasons. him and marc antony were my favs

Françoise Gilot, dead at 101​

Françoise Gilot, an accomplished painter whose art was eclipsed by her long and stormy romantic relationship with a much older Pablo Picasso, and who alone among his many mistresses walked out on him, died on Tuesday at a hospital in Manhattan. She was 101.

The death was confirmed by her daughter Aurelia Engel, who said Ms. Gilot had recently been dealing with heart and lung ailments.

“You imagine people will be interested in you?” Ms. Gilot quoted a surprised Picasso as saying after she told him that she was leaving him. “They won’t ever, really, just for yourself. Even if you think people like you, it will only be a kind of curiosity they will have about a person whose life touched mine so intimately.”

But unlike his two wives and other mistresses, Ms. Gilot rebuilt her life after she ended the relationship, in 1953, almost a decade after it had begun despite an age difference of 40 years. She continued painting and exhibiting her work and wrote books.

In 1970, she married Jonas Salk, the American medical researcher who developed the first safe polio vaccine, and lived part of the time in California. Still, it was for her romance with Picasso that the public knew her best, particularly after her memoir, “Life with Picasso,” written with Carlton Lake, was published in 1964. It became an international best seller, and so infuriated Picasso that he broke off all contact with Ms. Gilot and their two children, Claude and Paloma Picasso.

Ms. Gilot’s frank and often-sympathetic account of their relationship — she dedicated the book “to Pablo” — provided much of the material for the 1996 Merchant-Ivory movie, “Surviving Picasso,” in which she was played by Natascha McElhone, with Anthony Hopkins as Picasso.

If Ms. Gilot’s book sold well, so has her art. With her work in more than a dozen museums, including the Metropolitan Museum of Art and the Museum of Modern Art in New York and the Centre Pompidou in Paris, her paintings fetched increasingly higher prices well into her later years.

As recently as June 2021, her painting “Paloma à la Guitare” (1965), a blue-toned portrait of her daughter, sold for $1.3 million in an online auction by Sotheby’s. That surpassed her previous record price, $695,000, paid for “Étude bleue,” a 1953 portrait of a seated woman, at a Sotheby’s auction in 2014. And in November 2021, her abstract 1977 canvas “Living Forest” sold for $1.3 million as part of a retrospective of her work at Christie’s in Hong Kong.

Televangelist and 700 Club broadcaster Pat Robertson dies at 93.

Is he the one that blamed 9/11 and hurricanes on gay people? I get all these guys confused.
Jerry Falwell

According to internet:

The June 8, 1998, edition of his show, where Robertson denounced Orlando, Florida and Disney World for allowing a privately sponsored "Gay Days" weekend, also drew criticism from Americans United for Separation of Church and State. Robertson stated that the acceptance of homosexuality could result in hurricanes, earthquakes, tornadoes, terrorist bombings and "possibly a meteor," prompting Americans United to criticize Robertson, saying it was "deplorable that Robertson is using the tragedy of these fires to promote his religious and political agenda."

Ted Kaczynski is loitering outside the gates of heaven hoping he can get in. An ANGEL approaches, looks him up and down with fierce glowing eyes. Ted eyes the Angel with quiet desperation.

"Good news," the Angel tells him.

Ted immediately brightens. "I'm in? I get in to heaven!?"

"What? Uh, hell no. We've got a package for you. From all of us up here. Enjoy."

Angel hands Ted the package with his name etched on it in creepy childlike black marker.

Ted looks at the package, his face calling. "Figures."

Silvio Berlusconi has gone to that great Bunga Bunga party in the sky. Business tycoon, Prime Minister of Italy, sports magnate, billionaire, lover of young models and prostitutes of all kinds and a man who has a separate Wikipedia page named "Trials and Allegations Involving Silvio Berlusconi."

Cormac McCarthy dead at 89
Possibly my favorite all time author. Such a brilliant wordsmith.
my favorite writer. While The Road and NCFOM became movies, his other books are really better writing. Blood Meridian is so good. Probably my favorite of his. Hard read at the start, but it's awesome once you adapt to the run on sentences. Duvall owns the rights to Blood Meridian ... was hoping he'd make it into a movie. ETA ... Blood Meridian has a reading grade level of 14.6 :oops:

Last edited:
my favorite writer. While The Road and NCFOM became movies, his other books are really better writing. Blood Meridian is so good. Probably my favorite of his. Hard read at the start, but it's awesome once you adapt to the run on sentences. Duvall owns the rights to Blood Meridian ... was hoping he'd make it into a movie.
[/QUOTE]
The Judge!!

Cormac McCarthy dead at 89
Possibly my favorite all time author. Such a brilliant wordsmith.
my favorite writer. While The Road and NCFOM became movies, his other books are really better writing. Blood Meridian is so good. Probably my favorite of his. Hard read at the start, but it's awesome once you adapt to the run on sentences. Duvall owns the rights to Blood Meridian ... was hoping he'd make it into a movie. ETA ... Blood Meridian has a reading grade level of 14.6 :oops:
I think they've been trying to develop Blood Meridian as a movie for years but haven't gotten it done for whatever reason.

Gino Mäder, 26

Swiss rider for Bahrain Victorious. Stage winner at the 2021 Giro d' Italia, won the Young Rider Classification at he 2021 Vuelta a España where he finished 5th overall.

Crashed yesterday doing a high speed descent on the 5th stage of the Tour de Suisse. At an estimated speed of 100 kph on the highest stage of the event, he missed a turn and tumbled into a deep ravine. He was found by the tour MD two minutes later, unconscious and submerged in water. He was was given CPR, resuscitated, and airlifted to a hospital. Sadly he passed away from the injuries he sustained in the crash this morning.

Users who are viewing this thread