What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

A plea for civility in the PSF. (1 Viewer)

Everyone - give the moderators a break. Don’t post crazy stuff and don’t report everything (I don’t think this happens very often TBH).

Nothing ever changes here no matter how many times people have been asked. This thread is like Groundhog Day. It has been repeated over and over again.

At this point it is toxic and will always be toxic. Kinda agree with just let everything go or ditch the whole forum

Last edited:
My solution is twofold:

1. Very clear rules. Zero tolerance for ad hominem attacks, for example. A lot of what Maurile wrote in the “you will be suspended thread” works.
I am a fan of MT's proposal and try to abide by it anyways. 80% of the issue with the forum is low quality back and forth with insults and claims about the other poster that do not seem to rise to the level of banable.

However, the new ignore feature is amazing. So, if you're seeing this stuff, it means you need to better cultivate your ignore list.
I can't imagine ignoring any poster on here. I don't even ignore SWC and the nonsense he posts.
The ignore feature and SWC are both some of the best parts of the board. I think it would improve your experience and the duration of your accounts. :thumbup: :

The ignore feature definitely works.

As a test I have been putting any poster who brings zero value and is only here to ****post and troll on ignore. Also the posters who think that 100 unarmed grannies and hillbillies were going to defeat the US military and overthrow the government.

I just counted, there are 54 people on ignore (from Aug 9 until today) :lol: I had no idea there were that many posters in the PSF.

My PSF feed now is basically the 4 lawyers (MT, BB, Woz, RA), the Porsche guy, Tim, and Joe. And the "conservatives". There are probably a dozen of the "conservatives" who should be on the ignore list too because they seem to only be here to slapfight with Sho but since Sho is invisible most of their slapfights are invisible as well.

What is funny is when I go to the Shark Pool and FFA only maybe 2-3 of the 54 on the ignore list even post there. I guess the PSF just attracts a certain type.

Whoa, with that lean a feed, I feel some pressure to post more often!

As a test I have been putting any poster who brings zero value and is only here to ****post and troll on ignore. Also the posters who think that 100 unarmed grannies and hillbillies were going to defeat the US military and overthrow the government.

I just counted, there are 54 people on ignore (from Aug 9 until today) :lol: I had no idea there were that many posters in the PSF.

My PSF feed now is basically the 4 lawyers (MT, BB, Woz, RA), the Porsche guy, Tim, and Joe. And the "conservatives". There are probably a dozen of the "conservatives" who should be on the ignore list too because they seem to only be here to slapfight with Sho but since Sho is invisible most of their slapfights are invisible as well.

What is funny is when I go to the Shark Pool and FFA only maybe 2-3 of the 54 on the ignore list even post there. I guess the PSF just attracts a certain type.
yeah -- thanks for reminder

My solution is twofold:

1. Very clear rules. Zero tolerance for ad hominem attacks, for example. A lot of what Maurile wrote in the “you will be suspended thread” works.
I am a fan of MT's proposal and try to abide by it anyways. 80% of the issue with the forum is low quality back and forth with insults and claims about the other poster that do not seem to rise to the level of banable.

However, the new ignore feature is amazing. So, if you're seeing this stuff, it means you need to better cultivate your ignore list.
I can't imagine ignoring any poster on here. I don't even ignore SWC and the nonsense he posts.
You must not read many of the posts around here then.

The forum is currently worse than ever. We’ve lost a lot of the better posters and the ugliness is rampant in several threads. For it to improve, moderation efforts would have to ramp up again but that’s a lot of time and effort for the staff for no financial/business benefit. Relying on posters to police themselves has failed time and time again.

Shutting it down is the right decision.
Shutting it down means politics will bleed into the FFA.
And then the bans will come followed by the death of the board. You want to see the future of this path go ahead and mosey on over to the huddle.com message boards. That's a bleak outcome which I don't want to see happen all over again. 😢

Everyone - give the moderators a break. Don’t post crazy stuff and don’t report everything (I don’t think this happens very often TBH).

Nothing ever changes here no matter how many times people have been asked. This thread is like Groundhog Day. It has been repeated over and over again.

At this point it is toxic and will always be toxic. Kinda agree with just let everything go or ditch the whole forum
Agree that this same thread always seems to pop up.

I think it’s fine to be honest, GB. Just my opinion. But I don’t have to deal with any of the stuff.

My solution is twofold:

I'm curious to know how many people have me on ignore. I must be on at least one list. Someone said they have 54 people on ignore. Surely I made the cut.

I'll propose a soccer/hockey hybrid based moderation for the PSF. Red Cards for anything clearly over the line and you're done for the week.

Yellow cards are given for minor infractions. Like you know you're pushing the line or flopping (reporting non offending posts). Two yellows equal a red and your gone for a week.

2 hour penalty box (no posting) for instigating.

5 hour penalty box for fighting
I like it. As long as there is no flopping.

My solution is twofold:

He's literally my favorite poster and I always laugh. Simple pleasures I guess.

My solution is twofold:

I'm curious to know how many people have me on ignore. I must be on at least one list. Someone said they have 54 people on ignore. Surely I made the cut.
I have 0 users on ignore formally. Informally I can't read more than 2 sentences into a Gordon G post, but other than that, I read everything if it's a thread I've decided to participate in. I am kinda selective about that, I simply don't open most threads actually.

I bet I'm on your ignore list as you accused me of the granny and hillbilly thing a few days back. I do think democracy was in serious danger, but not at all for the reasons you're focusing on. You're not seeing this post anyways I guess.

Hi Everyone. Caveman33 posted this below. I know most of you can't see his posting, but he was wondering how many people have him on ignore. You can just respond with emojis.

I jest ;-)

There is no civility and I would support it being shutdown. It is run like the WH Press Conference with the black lady Pierre. If you do not agree with what we say your an extremist her exact words and that is how the situation breaks down to when never Tim starts a post he does not like the right leaning answers because they are intelligent and hold merit. It is like saying I will vote for Trump because my financial wealth grew under Trump. My gas bill was smaller under Trump, my grocery bill was smaller under Trump, and my property values increased under Trump. Biden has been a financial disaster. Disclaimer I voted for Obama for a 2nd term because during his first term I had some great financial gains and great gains in earnings in my career. Oh another are Biden has failed at went from a nice pay raise in Trumps last year to no raise in 2021 and 2022 will not look good either. Another strike against Biden. Also I served in the military and used my GI Bill for college. Actually my state gave a tuition waiver for serving in a combat zone so my GI bill paid my rent and liquor tabs at the bars. I also pay my sons rent, food, and fees since his tuition is paid for so he graduates debt free. Another strike for Biden’s 10k handout also I was thinking of taking a loan for his last year since this started floating around but his first year salary will be above the threshold to qualify for 10k to be cancelled. Another strike for Biden

I have 0 users on ignore formally. Informally I can't read more than 2 sentences into a Gordon G post, but other than that, I read everything if it's a thread I've decided to participate in. I am kinda selective about that, I simply don't open most threads actually.
I'm similar. I don't have anyone on ignore either. And I honestly don't know how you would report someone. And GG is the only poster that I skim over.

Hi Everyone. Caveman33 posted this below. I know most of you can't see his posting, but he was wondering how many people have him on ignore. You can just respond with emojis.

I jest ;-)
There is no civility and I would support it being shutdown. It is run like the WH Press Conference with the black lady Pierre. If you do not agree with what we say your an extremist her exact words and that is how the situation breaks down to when never Tim starts a post he does not like the right leaning answers because they are intelligent and hold merit. It is like saying I will vote for Trump because my financial wealth grew under Trump. My gas bill was smaller under Trump, my grocery bill was smaller under Trump, and my property values increased under Trump. Biden has been a financial disaster. Disclaimer I voted for Obama for a 2nd term because during his first term I had some great financial gains and great gains in earnings in my career. Oh another are Biden has failed at went from a nice pay raise in Trumps last year to no raise in 2021 and 2022 will not look good either. Another strike against Biden. Also I served in the military and used my GI Bill for college. Actually my state gave a tuition waiver for serving in a combat zone so my GI bill paid my rent and liquor tabs at the bars. I also pay my sons rent, food, and fees since his tuition is paid for so he graduates debt free. Another strike for Biden’s 10k handout also I was thinking of taking a loan for his last year since this started floating around but his first year salary will be above the threshold to qualify for 10k to be cancelled. Another strike for Biden
Thank you for your service.

I don't post very often. I honestly think the last time I got into anything heated here was when GW Bush was still president and we were discussing whether there were WMDs in Iraq, I'm sure that was in FFA at that time. Anyway, I lurk and pop in every once in a while. I think having the PSF is better than not having it (politics will leak into the other forums without it). Political discourse in the country has deteriorated in general, everyone is on their high horse and ready to defend their viewpoint and this is also why we even have seen the crazy idea of civil war popping into the mainstream. In my personal opinion, that won't happen.

I know Joe isn't putting it to a vote but I would prefer to keep the PSF even with the issues. If you want to have political discussions then at least it's here and you know what you're getting into when you click the link and it's not inappropriate to post those thoughts here. It would be if it leaks into other forums. Additionally, as it's been stated many times, the new board has the ignore feature and people are using it.

Just don't visit the forum if you don't like it.

interesting thought experiment - what would this place look like after a month with no moderation?
Like the thread after Biden’s speech? People calling other posters Nazis. And so on. Not sure it was official or anything…but it seemed as if moderation was letting a lot more go for a while. Things getting very snarky from both sides and personal comments were happening more and more.

interesting thought experiment - what would this place look like after a month with no moderation?
Like the thread after Biden’s speech? People calling other posters Nazis. And so on. Not sure it was official or anything…but it seemed as if moderation was letting a lot more go for a while. Things getting very snarky from both sides and personal comments were happening more and more.

Agree. Reminded me of the all the snark in Trump thread that went on for 4 years

I'll propose a soccer/hockey hybrid based moderation for the PSF. Red Cards for anything clearly over the line and you're done for the week.

Yellow cards are given for minor infractions. Like you know you're pushing the line or flopping (reporting non offending posts). Two yellows equal a red and your gone for a week.

I'd support a "LeBron of the Week" trophy the mods can give out to worst post a user reported. Have a little fun public shaming the offender and maybe reduces the flops

Agree. Reminded me of the all the snark in Trump thread that went on for 4 years
I would disagree there...I think things went over the line big time the other day. Things were really getting nasty for the first time in a long time here.
I was surprised that thread lasted as long as it did.

I'd support a "LeBron of the Week" trophy the mods can give out to worst post a user reported. Have a little fun public shaming the offender and maybe reduces the flops
Unfortunately, the worst ones won't care. It'll probably become a badge of honor (only to them).

I am going to challenge myself to stop making posts like this. I have done it too many times and it is part of the problem. Posts like the one I quoted do not add anything positive to the PSF. I have done it myself so I'm not just picking on @GoBirds , I'm picking on myself.

I'd like to challenge everyone to do the same.

Thank you. If we could do more of that and less of the assuming people who disagree have some nefarious ulterior motives, we might have a chance.

It's been my experience unfortunately though that most folks don't see it like you here though. At least not for very long.
I don't mind when someone posts a comment with a laughing emoji, such as "are you crazy? :lol:", as long as there is some response to the post with actual discussion. It's just posting that by itself without addressing the comment that causes some of these back and forth slapfests.

This is so dumb. Sometimes a laughing emoji is enough and more often than not isnt a dig at the post.

Sometimes it’s a polite way to say you disagree but commenting would just make it worse.

What it isn’t is a reason to cry and take it personal or get upset about it.

I am going to challenge myself to stop making posts like this. I have done it too many times and it is part of the problem. Posts like the one I quoted do not add anything positive to the PSF. I have done it myself so I'm not just picking on @GoBirds , I'm picking on myself.

Thank you. If we could do more of that and less of the assuming people who disagree have some nefarious ulterior motives, we might have a chance.

It's been my experience unfortunately though that most folks don't see it like you here though. At least not for very long.
I don't mind when someone posts a comment with a laughing emoji, such as "are you crazy? :lol:", as long as there is some response to the post with actual discussion. It's just posting that by itself without addressing the comment that causes some of these back and forth slapfests.

This is so dumb. Sometimes a laughing emoji is enough and more often than not isnt a dig at the post.

Sometimes it’s a polite way to say you disagree but commenting would just make it worse.

Have to disagree with you here. More often than not it is a dig at the post. It's super lazy way to diminish the post yet can be irritating because there's no context. If there's a way to remove the laughing emoji from just this forum that would be an improvement.

I don't take it as polite. I take it as you are laughing at something said but won't take the time to actually say why or provide a thought-out rebuttal. I think it's completely crass.

If you can't comment without making it worse, maybe you should think about that - what your contributions are worth to begin with.

I don't take it as polite. I take it as you are laughing at something said but won't take the time to actually say why or provide a thought-out rebuttal. I think it's completely crass.

If you can't comment without making it worse, maybe you should think about that - what your contributions are worth to begin with.

You find it crass and I find your delicate sensibilities - delicate. If a laughing emoji makes you upset or you take offense maybe grow thicker skin?

People are different. You can’t expect everyone to change how they post to adhere to your feelings. You can try though.

You find it crass and I find your delicate sensibilities - delicate. If a laughing emoji makes you upset or you take offense maybe grow thicker skin?

People are different. You can’t expect everyone to change how they post to adhere to your feelings. You can try though.
That's all well and good but doing that without a rebuttal to the post in question doesn't add anything to the discussion. It's not about thin or thick skin it's about discussing the issue at hand.

If we were in Joe's IRL house and someone said something you didn't agree with, would you laugh in their face. That's what you're effectively doing here.

He didn't say that it made him upset. :shrug:

No surprise, but I agree with him and others. It doesn't affect my mood, and I am not mad about it, but also don't insult my intelligence and pretend it's something else. We all know which couple of posters we are talking about. Yes, I agree with you that sometimes it does mean that when it comes from a poster that also has a history of mostly engaging in conversation, etc. But there are some where that is their main form of communication, probably b/c they know they are highly ignored posters and that is still the one thing they can do that shows up for people.

If we were in Joe's IRL house and someone said something you didn't agree with, would you laugh in their face. That's what you're effectively doing here.

Given there is no “heeeeey maaaaan, like I politely disagree with you maaaaaan” emoji they use the laughing emoji.

Sometimes people say ridiculous things and deserve to be laughed at. Like when people say that they’re actually affected by an emoji.

He didn't say that it made him upset. :shrug:

No surprise, but I agree with him and others. It doesn't affect my mood, and I am not mad about it, but also don't insult my intelligence and pretend it's something else. We all know which couple of posters we are talking about. Yes, I agree with you that sometimes it does mean that when it comes from a poster that also has a history of mostly engaging in conversation, etc. But there are some where that is their main form of communication, probably b/c they know they are highly ignored posters and that is still the one thing they can do that shows up for people.

So ignore them. Im not seeing the issue. You want to force others to adhere to your set of values. If you don’t like it then ignore it.

Just as I think you’re all being ridiculous - you’re allowed to think I am being ridiculous.

Difference is IDGAF.

Given there is no “heeeeey maaaaan, like I politely disagree with you maaaaaan” emoji they use the laughing emoji.

Sometimes people say ridiculous things and deserve to be laughed at. Like when people say that they’re actually affected by an emoji.
Is that something that really needs to be removed or said? Does "I disagree but have nothing to add" really do anything for anyone?

Is that something that really needs to be removed or said? Does "I disagree but have nothing to add" really do anything for anyone?

Those are your thoughts and feelings. Not everyone shares your thoughts and opinions.

This isn’t hard.

Gotta love this place, the 90% liberal majority that has been coddled since Trump here but are still somehow super sensitive to emojis from the few non Libs that have been treated like 2nd class citizens here since day 1. That’s really a thing here, let that sink in (temporarily disregarding that they all use the same emojis, those they use them on just don’t whine to the mods).

I guess that’s a good deflection from the real problems here?

Enjoy your Labor Day friend, don’t waste a thought on the normal pot stirrers aiming for 100% echo chamber.

Those are your thoughts and feelings. Not everyone shares your thoughts and opinions.

This isn’t hard.
This is a thread about civility. I am telling you right here that I find that to be rude. My feelings aren't hurt, I will be fine if you laugh at a post of mine.

However, someone with genuine interest in having a rational discussion cares about how they are perceived. Communication is a two way street - what we say isn't always received the way we want. I'm telling you now - I perceive that as being rude. If that's what you want to put out to the world, so be it.

I imagine you don't care.

Users who are viewing this thread