What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Aaron Hernandez Found Dead - Suicide Suspected (2 Viewers)

But he was the trash around him. He was killing valuable members of society for kicks. That's sociopathic. I'm defending the sanctity of his death, but making him into a troubled angel doesn't quite do it. He killed multiple people apparently. And one in total cold blood. His surroundings of trash might have been his embodiment, Dr. D. Know what I'm saying?   
I don't disagree with any of that, just trying to empathize with where he was.  He had it made and sometimes people take that for granted, in his case the fall was just a lot further than Joe Public.  He deserved to be in jail the rest of his life, at minimum. 

And yet some turn out okay and give back, living well-adjusted lives and become positive members of their communities because that's who they are. I get your sentiment; I just don't fully agree with the premise nor the conclusion about everybody and the sweeping generalizations you're making about us "all being Kardashians." Some of us hate that element of our culture -- the celebrity, the sex tapes -- and do everything we can to mitigate it, unsuccessfully, it seems.  
You dont hate it - try not to take this personally, but you're easily in the 95+ percentile of FFApper Kardashianism

I take your sentiment, but when they get released...look out. I'm not a namely-pamby. Jails make tough ### criminals or break a man in a way that humbles him enough to live on the outside. But the criminals I've met are really messed up mentally.  
I don't think anyone in supermax should EVER get out. It should be living death.

That and coming to the realization that he had a terrific life, played a game for a living making millions, and he threw it all away because he wanted to live the thug life.  I think his shame and embarrassment got the best of him, especially once he got on the inside and saw what kind of trash was surrounding him. 
I think the thug life got a hold of him before he was making millions and he probably didn't know any other way at that point.  Having a big house and lots of money doesn't equate to having a terrific life though.

Still a noose in every cell though?  Because the way it was portrayed on Frontline is the majority of these guys would probably use it, whether they had an inkling of suicide when they went in or not.  One guy only had 170 days and he was cutting himself to get out of there.  And the prisons are obligated to extract them if they are in a life threatening situation.  They would let them bleed, but, if they couldn't see them or could see they were badly injured they would get them out so they could heal them up before they were put back in for more torture.  Where would you draw the line?  I agree suicide proof cells on death row would be ironic.
Sure. You let them make the choice. Reusable too.

You keep turning it around to try and say (accuse) others of "taking joy" in this.  Nobody was saying that, it was just your precautionary tone.  All the while, the point you were trying to make was to show some "respect", for a cold-blooded killer.

He asked me how I felt and I told him. I'm not accusing anyone of anything for how they feel. I'm asking that people don't make jokes or one liners here about in what I said earlier: "But on a bigger scope, for people who've been affected by suicide in some form or who may even be having thoughts of it themselves, a suicide story in the news can be intensely personal and emotional. A high profile story like this can drag back up lots of emotions as people deal with their own history. It feels like a time for caution and maybe restraint. Thanks."

J

I think the thug life got a hold of him before he was making millions and he probably didn't know any other way at that point.  Having a big house and lots of money doesn't equate to having a terrific life though.
Ok but he had a family and people who actually cared about him.  He had more than just money and fame, that was evident throughout. 

This is a very odd statement. I'm not any kind of expert on this subject, but my understanding is that you're wrong about this. 
I'm gonna regret responding to this I'm sure but do you think he was born to be a killer, a thug, a gang member, etc..?  You don't think losing his father at a young age and getting caught up in the wrong crowd and gangs contributed to him becoming this way?

I also don't think we should be throwing around this term sociopath anyhow- it's supposed to be a clinical term, right? I'm guessing not too many actual sociopaths choose suicide. 

You dont hate it - try not to take this personally, but you're easily in the 95+ percentile of FFApper Kardashianism
Yeah, I don't take it personally. That's fine, but how so? 

Over the past few years, I've even disavowed most television. The only television I watch is so I can hang out with my family and be culturally literate. For example, I watched a grand total of twenty minutes of the NCAA Tourney this year because I wanted to talk to friends. And the football I watch is very limited, and only involves family. I was even uncomfortable for the teenage girls at the Super Bowl party I went to because I felt they were being ignored. 

I've had some weird changes in my life. I'm not sure you know enough about me to know that I'm a Kardashian FFApper or a consumer of this celebrity culture, even in sports. I don't recall ever having liked her. And my interest in football is really limited now, too, so I'm not sure where I'm getting my celebrity culture from.  

Even my music tastes stop around 2008.   

:shrugs: 

Maybe I just don't see it.  

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok but he had a family and people who actually cared about him.  He had more than just money and fame, that was evident throughout. 
Agree with that.  I'm certainly no gang expert but once you get involved in that stuff, it's extremely hard to get out, right?  We'll never know but I wonder at what point and what age he was no longer able to be helped either by choice or by situation (or perhaps both)

Serious question: does this bring you pleasure (in the Mill sense)?
I believe that if you do the crime, you need to pay SEVERLY. We are weak on criminals in this country. If we were tough, we would not have the crime rates we currently have. Want to reduce crime? Make prison so horrific that no one would want to commit a crime.

There's usually a reason someone becomes a sociopath. 

This is a very odd statement. I'm not any kind of expert on this subject, but my understanding is that you're wrong about this. 
The "reason" is usually a crib-age thing when not organic, which does appear to be in variance with what Wreck seems to be saying, but anything which occurs during mental childhood (which ends with a pre-frontal cortex growth spurt which begins within a year of puberty) could be a trigger.  Not enough is yet known on that front. Tim's right that adults don't 'become' sociopaths.

I'm gonna regret responding to this I'm sure but do you think he was born to be a killer, a thug, a gang member, etc..?  You don't think losing his father at a young age and getting caught up in the wrong crowd and gangs contributed to him becoming this way?
I have no idea about any of that. Obviously the way a person grows up can help determine his circumstances. But what you wrote is that someone can choose to become a sociopath. I don't think that's correct. 

I believe that if you do the crime, you need to pay SEVERLY. We are weak on criminals in this country. If we were tough, we would not have the crime rates we currently have. Want to reduce crime? Make prison so horrific that no one would want to commit a crime.
A thread unto itself, but that's not how you get to the root of reducing / eliminating crime.

Nations that allow and promote judicial sponsored torture? Crime. 

Places where you get stoned to death or publicly executed? Crime.

Death Penalty? Repeatedly shown to not be a deterrent.

The way you reduce crime is tend to the underlying issues that cause criminal behavior to begin with. Education, health, built environment, access to jobs and resources.   Building and strengthening community and neighborhood fabric.  

Crime is the SYMPTOM. You need to address the underlying ills.

I have no idea about any of that. Obviously the way a person grows up can help determine his circumstances. But what you wrote is that someone can choose to become a sociopath. I don't think that's correct. 
Just stop.  I did not say one word about him choosing to become a sociopath.  I only used the word sociopath in response to another post about sociopathic behavior.  All my post did was to imply there are deeper issues in that guys childhood life that caused him to go down the wrong path.  

I'll give the correct answer. His father's death had nothing to do with his own stupidity. His own brother, DJ,  had the same father die and he is a hard working guy who has had to deal with people badmouthing him, not hiring him, etc. all due to his brother's stupidity. He's done nothing wrong and feels the wrath of society.

Fell sorry for someone? Feel sorry for DJ Hernandez.

And plenty of guys coming from similar circumstances didn't hold onto their thug lives once they became pro athletes, Hernandez had zero excuses for the way his life played out. 
Isn't Steve Smith from a serious hood? Outside of being a badass dude who you don't want to fight, everything I've read about him speaks to hard worker and good guy (just don't piss him off). 

I'm sure there are tons of examples just like him.

Yeah, I don't take it personally. That's fine, but how so? 

Over the past few years, I've even disavowed most television. The only television I watch is so I can hang out with my family and be culturally literate. For example, I watched a grand total of twenty minutes of the NCAA Tourney this year because I wanted to talk to friends. And the football I watch is very limited, and only involves family. I was even uncomfortable for the teenage girls at the Super Bowl party I went to because I felt they were being ignored. 

I've had some weird changes in my life. I'm not sure you know enough about me to know that I'm a Kardashian rapper. I don't recall ever having liked her.

Even my music tastes stop around 2008.   

:shrugs: 

Maybe I just don't see it.  
Judgement is your sport. That's what all soc is about, people exercising judgement about strangers which they won't exercise upon themselves and wishing for that to transform the passivity and helplessness of suffering into something which feels like superiority and inducing others of their kind to support them.

He asked me how I felt and I told him. I'm not accusing anyone of anything for how they feel. I'm asking that people don't make jokes or one liners here about in what I said earlier: "But on a bigger scope, for people who've been affected by suicide in some form or who may even be having thoughts of it themselves, a suicide story in the news can be intensely personal and emotional. A high profile story like this can drag back up lots of emotions as people deal with their own history. It feels like a time for caution and maybe restraint. Thanks."

J
Fair enough, thanks for explaining.  Suicide, and depression, and what happened with Hernandez, are very different topics. I know what you meant to say and I agree with the premise.  I just can't feel any sympathy for a murderer like this.  Any form of "respect" for me is out the window in a situation like this.

Just stop.  I did not say one word about him choosing to become a sociopath.  I only used the word sociopath in response to another post about sociopathic behavior.  All my post did was to imply there are deeper issues in that guys childhood life that caused him to go down the wrong path.  
Terminology is important. If you had written that there were reasons why Hernandez became a bad human being I wouldn't have responded. I responded because you wrote that there are reasons he became a sociopath. I'm not even convinced that he WAS a sociopath, but if he was, there certainly are no "reasons" that YOU could elucidate, IMO. 

A thread unto itself, but that's not how you get to the root of reducing / eliminating crime.

Nations that allow and promote judicial sponsored torture? Crime. 

Places where you get stoned to death or publicly executed? Crime.

Death Penalty? Repeatedly shown to not be a deterrent. NEVER BEEN APPLIED CORRECTLY so this is incorrect.

The way you reduce crime is tend to the underlying issues that cause criminal behavior to begin with. Education, health, built environment, access to jobs and resources.   Building and strengthening community and neighborhood fabric.  Has not worked has it???? That's a failed plan.

Crime is the SYMPTOM. You need to address the underlying ills.
Impossible barring selective breeding and even then, it's doubtful you can stop crime. it will always be there so the correct way to limit it is to make the punishment horrific.

Fortunately, the Constitution prohibits that, as that is not the type of society the Founding Fathers wanted.

Yeah, I doubt very many people affected by suicide from depression are equating their circumstance to Hernandez's.  This it totally different.   But I could be wrong.

I'll give the correct answer. His father's death had nothing to do with his own stupidity. His own brother, DJ,  had the same father die and he is a hard working guy who has had to deal with people badmouthing him, not hiring him, etc. all due to his brother's stupidity. He's done nothing wrong and feels the wrath of society.

Fell sorry for someone? Feel sorry for DJ Hernandez.
Why can't we feel sorry for everyone involved?  I've seen families that were torn apart by the death of a parent.  And it affected the kids in different ways.  Obviously, we are all responsible for our own actions especially things that Hernandez did.  But I think it's simplistic to say his brother made it out so why didn't he.  We don't know the answers to that and likely never will.  But I see nothing wrong with feeling sorry for Hernandez losing his father which likely started him down the wrong path but doesn't mean I feel sorry that he had to pay his consequences for his actions.  

Judgement is your sport. That's what all soc is about, people exercising judgement about strangers to transform the passivity and helplessness of suffering into something which feels like superiority and which may induce others of their kind to support.
I sort of get what you're saying, but it's inevitable to hear this story and see people's reactions, and not have an opinion. In other words, to not do so would be completely dropping out of society. In my instance, I'm sort of asking people to refrain from celebrating this. Judgment is a serious issue with me, and I hope only to use it well. I try not to think of myself as superior -- I'm kind of a fool, actually.  

As far as hanging out here to judge, I hang out because I've been here for years and feel like I know certain people, aliases, etc., and it makes me comfortable.  

Guys...

Can we move the "I took 'Intro to Psych' back in 1987 so I know what I'm talking about" to a different thread?

I think this idle chit-chat is disrespecting the OP's original intent. 

thx

Terminology is important. If you had written that there were reasons why Hernandez became a bad human being I wouldn't have responded. I responded because you wrote that there are reasons he became a sociopath. I'm not even convinced that he WAS a sociopath, but if he was, there certainly are no "reasons" that YOU could elucidate, IMO. 
Seriously just stop.  You do this in every single thread.  Worry about the words that come out of your own mouth and stop putting them in other's mouths.  If you feel the need to get into a word battle then engage the original poster that used sociopath and preferably in a different thread.

Impossible barring selective breeding and even then, it's doubtful you can stop crime. it will always be there so the correct way to limit it is to make the punishment horrific.
I agree you can't "eliminate" it - but there are plenty of examples where providing better quality of life and access to health, education and community do a tremendous job of reducing crime.

In terms of "selective breeding" I'm afraid to even go there in terms of your underlying intent.  

FWIW, as I mentioned, making punishments "worse" does not, and has not, ever successfully reduced crime by a substantive degree. It does, however, hand the government far too much power over its citizens both in terms of appropriate justice for those who do commit crimes, and the ancillary and often worse effects of creating a power structure ripe for governmental overreach and abuse of power while limiting the rights, freedoms and justice of all citizens. 

BTW, in this case, you had someone who was given a sentence so awful in his mind (life in prison), that he killed himself.  What would you suggest would have "prevented" the crime in this case?

Why can't we feel sorry for everyone involved?  I've seen families that were torn apart by the death of a parent.  And it affected the kids in different ways.  Obviously, we are all responsible for our own actions especially things that Hernandez did.  But I think it's simplistic to say his brother made it out so why didn't he.  We don't know the answers to that and likely never will.  But I see nothing wrong with feeling sorry for Hernandez losing his father which likely started him down the wrong path but doesn't mean I feel sorry that he had to pay his consequences for his actions.  
I think this is a good response. 

RW, I was not trying to attack you before, or anyone else here. I'm concerned about the way we throw around words like "sociopath" casually in conversation these days, when few of us (including me) really understand it's meaning or applicability. That's all. 

Fortunately, the Constitution prohibits that, as that is not the type of society the Founding Fathers wanted.
The Founding Fathers would have done so if they knew the USA was going to turn into the mess it currently is in with the highest rate if incarceration ion the planet.

The way we are doing things as far as crime IS NOT WORKING.

:wall:

The bleeding hearts will never allow this. As you see people actually believe everybody has worth. When in reality some are pure animals and should be treated as such.

I sort of get what you're saying, but it's inevitable to hear this story and see people's reactions, and not have an opinion. In other words, to not do so would be completely dropping out of society. In my instance, I'm sort of asking people to refrain from celebrating this. Judgment is a serious issue with me, and I hope only to use it well. I try not to think of myself as superior -- I'm kind of a fool, actually.  

As far as hanging out here to judge, I hang out because I've been here for years and feel like I know certain people, aliases, etc., and it makes me comfortable.  
Believe it or not, i'm not harshing. I dont even respond to the yobbos and yahoos of personal fascism. You're a substantial person who appears to to be looking by telling other you've found. I like that, in its way. I just can't pretend along and would rather try to help you find. And Reg is wrongly right - we should take it off the page. PM if further curious and let the crows feed.

The Founding Fathers would have done so if they knew the USA was going to turn into the mess it currently is in with the highest rate if incarceration ion the planet.
The safest society in world history, in terms of crime on the street, did exactly what you're proposing here: it was Stalinist Russia. No fears of being robbed or raped then. People didn't even dare litter. Is that what you're going for here? 

The bleeding hearts will never allow this. As you see people actually believe everybody has worth. When in reality some are pure animals and should be treated as such.
Probably a poor analogy.  In general animals respond very well to positive reinforcement and very poorly to negative reinforcement.  

For those looking for motive & curious about timing - because AH was still in appeal for original murder and can no longer assist in his appeal, the murder conviction can and likely will be vacated, restoring all the Patriot $$ morals-claused away from Hernandez's family.
Old law still on the books in Massachusetts, despite apparent attempts in the past to get it removed. The basic gist is that because the entire legal process (including all appeal avenues) wasn't completed, the conviction can be thrown out. But that "lack of conviction" doesn't necessarily affect any civil process (see OJ).

http://www.bostonherald.com/news/local_coverage/2017/04/aaron_hernandez_lawyers_will_seek_to_vacate_murder_conviction#.WPdzkENGjdA.twitter

For those looking for motive & curious about timing - because AH was still in appeal for original murder and can no longer assist in his appeal, the murder conviction can and likely will be vacated, restoring all the Patriot $$ morals-claused away from Hernandez's family.
or he chose the day the Patriots were visiting the White House to make it one last time all about himself.

The safest society in world history, in terms of crime on the street, did exactly what you're proposing here: it was Stalinist Russia. No fears of being robbed or raped then. People didn't even dare litter. Is that what you're going for here? 
:lmao:  That made me laugh. Really it did.

Probably a poor analogy.  In general animals respond very well to positive reinforcement and very poorly to negative reinforcement.  
Tell that to the people whose relatives have died when they let a murderer back out on the streets after x years when the guy should have been executed. Just happened in the last few months.

You'll have to expand on that if you want me to speak on your behalf.  One think i can say is that if that dog grew up from a pup in my family the breed would be irrelevant.  
So like people, all animals are good. There are no animals that are just born bad or born to kill.. I can take a lion cub from birth, treat him with love and let him baby sit my grand kids.

Users who are viewing this thread