What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Aaron Rodgers-How bad is he hurt? (1 Viewer)

twistd

Footballguy
Rodgers played pretty well yesterday, but it looked like every time he came off the field it seemed like he was favoring that arm. It looked like he was hanging it straight down like that was the only position he felt comfortable in. I wonder if he had to take an injection in the shoulder to play? Did anyone else notice that? If he is hurting he played well in spite of that, but I wonder if this injury will linger?

Rodgers played pretty well yesterday, but it looked like every time he came off the field it seemed like he was favoring that arm. It looked like he was hanging it straight down like that was the only position he felt comfortable in. I wonder if he had to take an injection in the shoulder to play? Did anyone else notice that? If he is hurting he played well in spite of that, but I wonder if this injury will linger?
Kid is clearly hurt but playing through it in a gutsy manner. I have to believe he went out and earned the respect of the entire team yesterday.

http://www.jsonline.com/story/index.aspx?id=802811

Rodgers passes on sitting out

He throws three touchdowns, but late interception costly

By TOM SILVERSTEIN

tsilverstein@journalsentinel.com

Posted: Oct. 5, 2008

Green Bay - Quarterback Aaron Rodgers convinced coach Mike McCarthy during an 8:45 a.m. workout Sunday in the Don Hutson Center that he could make all the throws necessary to start for the Green Bay Packers.

Yet it was the one throw he didn’t need to make that ended up defining his day.

Playing with a bruised right shoulder that as late as Saturday night made him think he was going to miss his first game, Rodgers overcame a slow start to complete 25 of 37 passes for 313 yards and three touchdowns against the Atlanta Falcons. The pain he endured was evident from the many times he grabbed his arm after unloading a pass, and there were times he couldn’t get the ball where he wanted it.

Nevertheless, in the fourth quarter the Packers were down by only 20-17 with less than 5 minutes to go. That’s when Rodgers had a lapse in judgment, throwing a ball to receiver Ruvell Martin on third and 19 from the Packers’ 21 that was intercepted and returned all the way to the 19.

Before he had a chance to realize the gravity of his mistake, the Falcons were ahead by 10 points and on their way to an upset, 27-24 victory in front of 70,610 fans at Lambeau Field.

“I don’t (regret playing),” Rodgers said in the locker room after the game. “I regret the one decision I made, the interception. But I put everything out there on the line today, my body, my shoulder.”

This game marked the second straight week that Rodgers overcame immense physical pain to try to lead the Packers to a comeback victory only to make a mental error that torpedoed his chances. Last week against Tampa Bay — after injuring the shoulder for the first time — it was his failure to recognize a blitz, and this time it was his refusal to throw a simple check-down and live another day.

“Check down, punt, play defense and try to stop them,” Rodgers said of the way things should have gone. “Unfortunately, I made a critical error, which gave them seven points.”

Nobody could be critical of Rodgers’ willingness to put his body on the line in a situation that is becoming more desperate for the Packers. After two straight losses, the Packers faced the prospect of facing the Falcons with rookie quarterback Matt Flynn, who had taken most of the snaps in practice last week.

Rodgers hadn’t practiced at all and after attempting to throw Friday was almost certain he wouldn’t be ready by Sunday. But he came in for treatment three times on Saturday, fitted himself with a protective brace and then fought through the pain to keep his modest five-game starting streak going.

“I didn’t think I was going to play when I came to the stadium this morning,” Rodgers said. “I didn’t think I was going to be able to make the throws. I just know that I threw on Friday and it didn’t feel like I was going to be able to play. I didn’t know how my shoulder would respond.”

In his pregame workout in front of McCarthy, Rodgers showed he could make all the required throws and then looked his coach in the eye and told him he wanted to play. According to Rodgers, he was told his shoulder was not at any risk for further damage so it was strictly a performance issue.

McCarthy was satisfied with what he got from Rodgers.

“I thought he performed at a high level,” McCarthy said. “He definitely wasn’t affected. He didn’t throw with the velocity that he’s capable of throwing. But I thought he did a great job managing the game, and he was smart with the football today.”

Other than the one poor decision and a slow start — 1 of 2 for 7 yards and a sack in the first quarter — he was productive. On each of his first two touchdown passes his receivers — Donald Driver (44 yards) and Greg Jennings (25 yards) — outmaneuvered defenders and made terrific catches to help him out.

As he warmed up, he made more and more solid throws down the field, utilizing eight different outlets and completing 67.5% of his passes.

Eventually though, pain caught up with him.

Near the end of the third quarter, he grimaced and grabbed his arm after firing a 14-yard slant route to receiver Jordy Nelson and then did it again on a 9-yard dig route to receiver James Jones two plays later. It happened again in the fourth quarter when he was hit by Falcons defensive tackle Jonathan Babineaux after firing a pass to Jennings that went for 36 yards.

“I saw him in the fourth quarter grabbing his arm,” Martin said. “I was just hoping he was all right. I think it shows his dedication to the team. He knows that he’s a big part of this team and I think he feels almost a pressure to go out there and play. I don’t think we feel that way, that he needs to be out there. His health is No. 1.”

It was clear that Rodgers was not 100% from the beginning.

Perhaps the biggest indicator was a downfield throw he tried to make to a wide-open Jennings at the start of the third quarter. At the very least, the Packers would have had a first down somewhere around the Falcons’ 20, but the ball died coming out of his hand and fell about 5 yards short as Jennings tried to come back for it.

“It was painful the entire time,” Rodgers said. “When the sun was out, it was a little warmer (and) it was a little better. I just tried to stay warm on the sideline. I was definitely in some pain the entire time.”

Though Rodgers was able to lead the Packers on touchdown drives of 80 and 72 yards in the fourth quarter, he never got a chance to get the ball back after making it a 27-24 game with 1 minute 56 seconds left. Now he’ll have a week to try to get the shoulder in shape for Seattle.

“He showed a tremendous amount of heart,” Jennings said. “We know he’s in it for the long run with us. Just to be able to go out there with that amount of extreme pain and perform the way he did, my hat goes off to him.”

I hope he gets some rest and heals it.

I'm considering starting him next week vs Seattle over Cutler in Jax

He had a 'tough it out' performance. He may not be able to make his shoulder worse, but will it get better if he keeps playing? The Packers are in trouble with or without him, but I think more so without him. He may have earned his teammates respect, but he came in to this year with a fragile label. This does nothing to dispel that. He has started four games and gets hurt. Now you give him credit for playing through the pain, but they have to be concerned if you are a Packer, or a Packer fan.

glvsav37 said:
I hope he gets some rest and heals it.I'm considering starting him next week vs Seattle over Cutler in Jax
I would have a hard time starting anyone over Cutler. I think I would start Brees over Cutler, but the list is very short. Jacksonville did a decent job defensively, but they certainly aren't overpowering.

Peter King wrote today that the Packers are one of the few teams that don't give pain killer shots to their players.

I like the guy (benched him for Hass :mellow: ), but I'm not a huge fan of guys who talk so much to the media about how much pain they were in. His teammates and coaches know it and respect him for it, and if they want to give him public props for his toughness that's great, but no need for Rogers to go on and on about it with a reporter.

glvsav37 said:
I hope he gets some rest and heals it.I'm considering starting him next week vs Seattle over Cutler in Jax
LOL, so that's why you hope he gets rest and heals it? You should have started him over Cutler this past week too. FWIW......Cutler is going to tear it up against Jaxonville.

I started Rivers over him and might get burned for it depending on how well AP does tonight. Cost me 15 points. Just felt I needed to go the safest route this week but it's obvious Rodgers has more upside each week then Rivers with Gates,LJ, and now Chambers hurting. Even with a bumb shoulder. And with the Pack D as bad as it painfully is this year even another reason to lean on Rodgers as much as possible because it sure looks like he is going to be playing catch up more weeks then not.

I like the guy (benched him for Hass :) ), but I'm not a huge fan of guys who talk so much to the media about how much pain they were in. His teammates and coaches know it and respect him for it, and if they want to give him public props for his toughness that's great, but no need for Rogers to go on and on about it with a reporter.
Probably overcompensating in the face of Favre Nation

Users who are viewing this thread