What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

AFC Championship Game - Baltimore Ravens at Pittsburgh Steelers (1 Viewer)

jesus... he led with the should but somehow went helmet to helmet.. he turned sideways and still hit his helmet.

After the replay should have been a penalty but I don't think he launched purposely to hit his head

It looked like Clark tried to lead with his shoulder, but Mcgahee kind of ducked into it and their helmet's hit.

Also, they ruled it a fumble, not an incompletion, so there's no such thing as a helmet to helmet penalty at that point, right? I thought it had to be on a QB or on someone in the process of making a catch.

Hope Mcgahee is alright, good to see some of his extremities moving.

Okay, that was clean. Full impact came with his shoulder, not with the helmet. It is impossible to lead with your shoulder without lowering your head and helmet a little bit, but the hit was clean.

jesus... he led with the should but somehow went helmet to helmet.. he turned sideways and still hit his helmet.After the replay should have been a penalty but I don't think he launched purposely to hit his head
The helmets did hit, but he did not lead with the helmet ... therefore legal. No penalty. No fine.

Steelers guy is bleeding out his nose. Pretty sure that doesn't come from hitting with your shoulder.
It's called LEADING with the shoulder. I'm pretty sure you can understand how many other body parts get contact when you're playing football. When even Simms says it's legal (not that I care much for his opinion), it's pretty good odds it's legit.

Okay, that was clean. Full impact came with his shoulder, not with the helmet. It is impossible to lead with your shoulder without lowering your head and helmet a little bit, but the hit was clean.
Are you saying the helmets collided first, or that they didn't?

Can't believe anybody would think that that was a legal hit. They hit helmet to helmet before the shoulders even touched. Should be a 15 yard penalty and huge fine just like the Boldin hit.

If you lead with your shoulder, that doesn't mean you won't be committing a helmet to helmet.

He led with his right shoulder towards McGahee's left, which directly lines up their helmets. That's poor technique. Left shoulder to his chest and his helmet is outside his right shoulder - good technique, safe and legal.

It looked like Clark tried to lead with his shoulder, but Mcgahee kind of ducked into it and their helmet's hit.Also, they ruled it a fumble, not an incompletion, so there's no such thing as a helmet to helmet penalty at that point, right? I thought it had to be on a QB or on someone in the process of making a catch.Hope Mcgahee is alright, good to see some of his extremities moving.
:goodposting:

Simms says that's legal? :goodposting: Do I not know the rule correctly?
Not sure how you could think it was an illegal hit. He didn't launch himself. He even went in sort of sideways with his shoulder leading. McGahee just happened to lower his head directly into the path of the Steeler player's helmet. If McGahee didn't dip his helmet, he would have been plastered right in the gut and it's nothing more than a hard decleater. But he tried to get lower than the defender and their helmets ended up colliding because of it. Bad fluke play, that's all.ETA: Not a fan of McGahee at all, but I hope that everything ends up checking out and he's ok.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you lead with your shoulder, that doesn't mean you won't be committing a helmet to helmet.He led with his right shoulder towards McGahee's left, which directly lines up their helmets. That's poor technique. Left shoulder to his chest and his helmet is outside his right shoulder - good technique, safe and legal.
almost like the game is moving incredibly fast and there is no time to think - just react

Seriously, why is the idiot PA announcer blaring loud music while a guy is down on the field with a possible serious injury?

If you lead with your shoulder, that doesn't mean you won't be committing a helmet to helmet.He led with his right shoulder towards McGahee's left, which directly lines up their helmets. That's poor technique. Left shoulder to his chest and his helmet is outside his right shoulder - good technique, safe and legal.
Of course he had several seconds to get all of that processed in the brain, regardless of what stride he was on, etc.Just stop it.Oh, and I'll add that he is trying to cause an incompletion or fumble as he is a defender, and his team is trying to make the Super Bowl. Remember that part?

Last edited by a moderator:
jesus... he led with the should but somehow went helmet to helmet.. he turned sideways and still hit his helmet.After the replay should have been a penalty but I don't think he launched purposely to hit his head
The helmets did hit, but he did not lead with the helmet ... therefore legal. No penalty. No fine.
I made an assumption that any helmet to helmet is a penalty.The shoulders and helmets hit almost simultaneously.I agree

The helmets were the first thing to hit. Anyone who isn't a huge homer or a moron can see that.I have no idea if it should have been a penalty since I am not sure about the rules, but please stop with this "lead with the shoulder" crap, it's blatantly wrong.

Man, hate to see that. I hope McGahee is OK. Certainly don't want to see anyone get hurt, no matter how heated the rival. Finish the game and get out with your health guys...

Users who are viewing this thread