What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Alex Murdaugh found shot (1 Viewer)

I have no idea how defense attorneys do it. I mean the ones who are defending people accused of ugly, violent crimes. You have to put up an honest defense of so many people who you must know are guilty as sin. Ugh.
Defending the factually guilty is very easy. My job is to make sure their rights are complied with and their outcomes are reasonable and lawful.

It’s defending the ones I believe are factually innocent, or who have significant mitigating circumstances surrounding their case but the state won’t reasonably negotiate with me on, that keep me up at night.

How is the store responsible if they asked for ID, the person has a valid ID that looks like them? To me that is tough.

Seems like family should be held more liable than store.
I don't know. Perhaps there is some dram shop law in that state that calls for strict liability. Perhaps there are facts that are unknown to us based on one media article that demonstrate that the store clearly knew or should have known they were selling to minors as the ID said something like "McLovin" on the name and was oddly colored. Perhaps the store was well-insured and the insurance company's lawyers and adjusters made the call.

What I do know, though, from firsthand experience in talking to reports (both local and national, as well as beat and investigative) and seeing my own cases published in the media, is that one should never judge the merits of a case or whether a settlement makes sense based on a media article. To be clear, I'm not at all suggesting that media stories are "fake news" or written with some slanted agenda as the overwhelming majority of reporters/journalists/documentarians I've spoke with genuinely seem most interested in objective truth. But, the reality is that there is only so much that can be shared, the reporter himself or herself is not a lawyer (and therefore may make honest mistakes as to crucial facts and the framing of a particular issue), and the article cannot possibly be written to be long enough to include all details.

In short, if a case is an iceberg, at best what we see in the media is the tip above water and there will always be a significant amount under the surface that the media, for good reason(s), isn't showing you.

How is the store responsible if they asked for ID, the person has a valid ID that looks like them? To me that is tough.

I am surprised there was no lawsuit against the teachers who served them alcohol at a house party or the marina who served them shots after the house party. I guess the convenience store was an easier target and the marina was probably part of the good ol boy network.

I am surprised there was no lawsuit against the teachers who served them alcohol at a house party or the marina who served them shots after the house party. I guess the convenience store was an easier target and the marina was probably part of the good ol boy network.
I would stop guessing.

Sheesh. Kinda seems like he has a point. Jurors admitting that a court clerk told them to watch the defendant closely and not to trust his testimony and that it affected their decision on whether he is guilty or not seems like a pretty big deal.

I wouldn’t trust any person to be able to quantify how much that actually influenced them and say whether they would have still voted guilty or not. And for the first juror questioned to say that the other jurors had a bigger influence on her guilty vote isn’t surprising but still disturbing. I would hope everyone would say that the evidence is what determined their vote. Maybe the other jurors helped work through that evidence, but IMO it should be the evidence that drives a decision, not other jurors.

And then to not take the other jurors’ phones while they were questioning the first juror and those jurors watching the questioning on their phones :wall: That’s just incompetence and failure all around. How can the court be so dumb to not take their phones? And how can the jurors be so dumb as to intentionally watch the questioning that they HAVE to know they shouldn’t be watching?!

Sadly I've been following this case since day 1 and this definitely throws a wrench in the works. I don't think they overturn his conviction based on the narrow guidelines the judge has put in place but wtf knows in that part of the state. There's better links out there to explain much better than me but the judge is putting the burden of proof on Murdaugh's and demonstrate that it influenced the verdict. Not a lawyer so don't know how difficult that is but it seemed like a big deal when the ruling came down. The Clerk in question is in some trouble but I'm not sure it materially effects the outcome of the trial. Any input from you lawyer types?

Sadly I've been following this case since day 1 and this definitely throws a wrench in the works. I don't think they overturn his conviction based on the narrow guidelines the judge has put in place but wtf knows in that part of the state. There's better links out there to explain much better than me but the judge is putting the burden of proof on Murdaugh's and demonstrate that it influenced the verdict. Not a lawyer so don't know how difficult that is but it seemed like a big deal when the ruling came down. The Clerk in question is in some trouble but I'm not sure it materially effects the outcome of the trial. Any input from you lawyer types?

I really haven't followed it, but went down a rabbit hole.

Was it you who linked to this New Yorker article?

That is a crazy read.

That is a crazy read.
Maybe, I don't know, there's been some good input in this thread. I started listening to a podcast 4 years ago from a reporter that had helped uncover the financial frauds he was committing and it started to spiral from there. I'm firmly convinced he's guilty of all crimes he's confessed to and the murder of his wife & son. He's the poster child for the narcissist psychopath. The story behind his families name and dominance of the small county they ruled over for decades is almost unbelievable...almost.

The story behind his families name and dominance of the small county they ruled over for decades is almost unbelievable...almost.
FInding out all that stuff was crazy, and I have to believe after all these decades, there's a thousand more stories.

The story behind his families name and dominance of the small county they ruled over for decades is almost unbelievable...almost.
FInding out all that stuff was crazy, and I have to believe after all these decades, there's a thousand more stories.
Yea over the years, I don't think there were many (or maybe any) clients he didn't steal from. I'm sure there were but he had over 100 charges against him the last I remember and I think they are still coming up with them. He's going to be on trial for years to come although he's pled guilty to most of the financial crimes already garnering a paltry 27 year sentence. I think combined it was 700+ years he could have been charged with so seems light but this was all before the murder trial. Regardless he'll never see the light of day as a free man again but if his murder verdict is overturned I believe he has to go through trial again and given how much evidence was presented in the last trial and the lies he held onto that were proven wrong by physical evidence, I don't expect a different outcome. He's just doing this because he doesn't have anything else to do.

The question that nobody seems to be asking is 1.) what happened to the $8.7m he stole? I know it was his person bank account and supported his lifestyle but that doesn't account for all of it and 2.) how the hell is he paying his two lawyers who are some of the most expensive in SC? They ain't working pro bono or because Alex is such a good dude.

Sheesh. Kinda seems like he has a point. Jurors admitting that a court clerk told them to watch the defendant closely and not to trust his testimony and that it affected their decision on whether he is guilty or not seems like a pretty big deal.
I realize this has been denied (though one can certainly expect that to be appealed). But the bolded is a big problem. Good grief - who are they hiring for these positions?

I realize this has been denied (though one can certainly expect that to be appealed). But the bolded is a big problem. Good grief - who are they hiring for these positions?
You're close enough to SC to know the answer to that question. Becky Hill is the grandma in town everyone knows who got a little taste of power as Clerk of Courts and liked it. The Murdaugh trial afforded her the opportunity to cash in and she took it. It's small town, backwoods America and it rocketed to the top of the news for a few years as this played out. The fame and spotlight went to a lot of people's heads.

Luckily, the murder trial presented enough evidence that even with her comments, it didn't make a difference. Remember, this was in Murdaugh' s backyard, where his family had been able to run roughshod over just about anyone in the community if they felt like it. There was a fear that his influence in the area was still pull a not guilty verdict from the jury. And after 6 1/2 weeks of very odd trial, it took them 3 hours to find him guilty on both counts. It was as close to a slam dunk as you get. The juror that testified yesterday got on the stand and said yes, Hill's comments influenced her verdict than later under cross admitted that it was the other jurors in the room that influenced her and not Hill (which she also signed an affidavit attesting to in August last year). This whole retrial thing was nothing but a hail Mary that fell way short.

That is a crazy read.
Maybe, I don't know, there's been some good input in this thread. I started listening to a podcast 4 years ago from a reporter that had helped uncover the financial frauds he was committing and it started to spiral from there. I'm firmly convinced he's guilty of all crimes he's confessed to and the murder of his wife & son. He's the poster child for the narcissist psychopath. The story behind his families name and dominance of the small county they ruled over for decades is almost unbelievable...almost.

the only thing Murdaugh deserves is this guy to be assigned as his roomie.

Yea over the years, I don't think there were many (or maybe any) clients he didn't steal from. I'm sure there were but he had over 100 charges against him the last I remember and I think they are still coming up with them. He's going to be on trial for years to come although he's pled guilty to most of the financial crimes already garnering a paltry 27 year sentence. I think combined it was 700+ years he could have been charged with so seems light but this was all before the murder trial. Regardless he'll never see the light of day as a free man again but if his murder verdict is overturned I believe he has to go through trial again and given how much evidence was presented in the last trial and the lies he held onto that were proven wrong by physical evidence, I don't expect a different outcome. He's just doing this because he doesn't have anything else to do.

The question that nobody seems to be asking is 1.) what happened to the $8.7m he stole? I know it was his person bank account and supported his lifestyle but that doesn't account for all of it and 2.) how the hell is he paying his two lawyers who are some of the most expensive in SC? They ain't working pro bono or because Alex is such a good dude.

The plea for state financial crimes was after the murder trial. He already plead to them federal as well, hasn't been sentenced yet so I imagined they were willing to plea down to such a low number compared to what he could have been sentenced to because how costly trials can be and there wasn't a lot of gain for the prosecutors to go for more. 27 years plus whatever the Feds give him means he's never getting out even if the murder verdict is appealed and overturned then he's not found guilty on a second trial.

I think him wanting to redo the murder trial is he is ok with being a huge thief but he doesn't want to be a convicted murderer. Not going to stop people from thinking he is so his legacy is screwed even if he got a not guilty but that seems to matter for him.

Users who are viewing this thread