What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Alex Murdaugh found shot (1 Viewer)

Through all of this, the experts I have seen over the weekend tend to believe this will be a hung jury or a not guilty verdict.
The experts all seem to think the prosecutor did a horrible job and failed to provide proof without a reasonable doubt.
Those “experts” probably should stay quiet going forward as they seem to have gotten this one 100% wrong. Less than 3 hours for a guilty verdict means it was a no brainer for the jury.

Through all of this, the experts I have seen over the weekend tend to believe this will be a hung jury or a not guilty verdict.
The experts all seem to think the prosecutor did a horrible job and failed to provide proof without a reasonable doubt.
Those “experts” probably should stay quiet going forward as they seem to have gotten this one 100% wrong. Less than 3 hours for a guilty verdict means it was a no brainer for the jury.

Yeah, that was really fast. I think all the so called experts made too much of the lack of dna evidence and didn't value all the iphone/gps/movement tracking data. That stuff is as good as gold in this day and age.

Jury deliberated slightly less than 3 hours. There sure wasn't much doubt in their minds.
https://abcnews.go.com/US/jury-reaches-verdict-alex-murdaugh-double-murder-trial/story?id=97559257

The jury reached the verdict after deliberating for nearly three hours Thursday after hearing five weeks of testimony from more than 70 witnesses -- including Alex Murdaugh himself, who denied the murders but admitted to lying to investigators and cheating his clients.

He was found guilty on all four counts -- two counts of murder and two counts of possession of a weapon in the commitment of a violent crime.

3 hours? How do you sit through a whole murder trial and not milk it for a lunch & dinner?

Jury deliberated slightly less than 3 hours. There sure wasn't much doubt in their minds.
https://abcnews.go.com/US/jury-reaches-verdict-alex-murdaugh-double-murder-trial/story?id=97559257

The jury reached the verdict after deliberating for nearly three hours Thursday after hearing five weeks of testimony from more than 70 witnesses -- including Alex Murdaugh himself, who denied the murders but admitted to lying to investigators and cheating his clients.

He was found guilty on all four counts -- two counts of murder and two counts of possession of a weapon in the commitment of a violent crime.

3 hours? How do you sit through a whole murder trial and not milk it for a lunch & dinner?
lunch had been had and omelette's were off the table for dinner.

lunch had been had and omelette's were off the table for dinner.
I see what you did there. Nicely played, very nicely played.

What was the motive in this? Haven’t been following.
Greed
How so? Why kill the son?

I haven't followed the case that closely but I think his wife was done with him and probably looking to divorce. He also wanted sympathy pulling the victim card and attention away from all his financial crimes. His son was also about to go to trial for a DWI homicide while boating. Really sad situation.

Another random tidbit, his old housekeeper also died on his property a few years back (slipped and fell supposedly). He stole the lawsuit/insurance money from her family. He's an evil dude.

Greed

I haven't followed the case that closely but I think his wife was done with him and probably looking to divorce. He also wanted sympathy pulling the victim card and attention away from all his financial crimes. His son was also about to go to trial for a DWI homicide while boating. Really sad situation. His old housekeeper also died on his property a few years back (slipped and fell irc). He's an evil dude.
"Slipped and fell" then Murdaugh collected a recently signed multi million dollar insurance claim.

Greed

I haven't followed the case that closely but I think his wife was done with him and probably looking to divorce. He also wanted sympathy pulling the victim card and attention away from all his financial crimes. His son was also about to go to trial for a DWI homicide while boating. Really sad situation. His old housekeeper also died on his property a few years back (slipped and fell irc). He's an evil dude.
"Slipped and fell" then Murdaugh collected a recently signed multi million dollar insurance claim.

Yep and there was another unsolved death on his property before that.

Greed
Son's high profile boating DWI that killed someone resulted in a lot of unwelcome attention on Dad's business dealings (i.e. embezzlement/stealing) and shady lawyer practices. Argument was the murders brought those financial investigations to a stand still, what the dude hoped to gain beyond time, who knows in his twisted, narcissist and sociopathic brain?

it just reinforces that rich people can get away with anything until they step on the wrong foot. being a drug addicted alcoholic who used his influence to cover up murders and protect his loutish kid was fine until he got caught by his own firm partners taking money out of their pockets.

guy could have carried on forever doing anything he wanted if he hadn't ostensibly stolen money from his partners.
Hunnert percent

When reading about Danny Snyder scandals, it was when I read he had been under-reporting numbers to scam his fellow owners, that I was like, uh oh, now you did it.
Yep. That was when the "muster the votes to kick Snyder out of the league" talk began to get serious.

Put another way, people in the financial world swindle ordinary people out of money all the time and rarely pay serious consequences. Bernie Madoff went to jail and became a pariah because he swindled the 1%.

I haven't been following closely because it seemed his guilt was pretty evident. Good to see the jury made the correct decision. I was surprised to learn folks thought it questionable whether he would be convicted.

I haven't been following closely because it seemed his guilt was pretty evident. Good to see the jury made the correct decision. I was surprised to learn folks thought it questionable whether he would be convicted.
The media is usually required to follow a "horserace" line of reporting, wherein either side might win, it's mighty close, It may come right down to the wire, they're rounding the final turn, and IT'S A HORSERACE! They spend less on-air time and print space on just reporting. The owners want the views, the reporters are instructed accordingly. That's why people thought it was questionable.

At the risk of going Gordan Gecko, I pulled a timeline of events from an article for those who haven't been following close. Almost 4 years ago to the day, Alex's world started to unravel:

Feb. 24, 2019: Paul Murdaugh involved in deadly boat crash
April 18, 2019: Paul Murdaugh charged
June 7, 2021: Margaret and Paul Murdaugh are found dead
June 17, 2021: Alex Murdaugh's brothers speak on "Good Morning America"
June 22, 2021: Authorities reopen probe into 2015 death of Stephen Smith
June 25, 2021: Murdaugh family announces $100,000 reward for information
Sept. 3, 2021: Alex Murdaugh resigns from law firm
Sept. 4, 2021: Murdaugh calls 911 saying he was shot
Sept. 6, 2021: Murdaugh announces resignation, enters rehab
Sept. 7, 2021: Law firm says Murdaugh left due to money misuse
Sept. 8, 2021: Brother "shocked" by Murdaugh allegations; Alex Murdaugh's law license suspended
Sept. 13, 2021: SLED investigates missing money from law firm
Sept. 14, 2021: Police charge man in Alex Murdaugh shooting
Sept. 15, 2021: Lawyers say Murdaugh set up his own shooting, police open criminal investigation into 2018 death of Gloria Satterfield
Sept. 16, 2021: Alex Murdaugh surrenders
Sept. 18, 2021: $20,000 bond
Oct. 6, 2021: Murdaugh sued by former law firm
Oct. 14, 2021: Murdaugh arrested, charged in connection to settlement funds from housekeeper's death
Oct. 15, 2021: Lawyer said Murdaugh had drugs in his system day he was shot
Dec. 13, 2021: $7 million bond
June 28, 2022: Indicted for conspiracy
July 12, 2022: Alex Murdaugh disbarred
July 14, 2022: Alex Murdaugh indicted for murder
July 20, 2022: Not guilty plea
Dec. 16, 2022: Alex Murdaugh indicted on tax evasion
Jan. 23, 2023: Murder trial begins
March 3, 2023: Guilty verdict

There have been other shady dealings and other deaths mentioned with the name Murdaugh, Stephen Smith for one, Hakim Pickney for another. Nothing directly traceable to him or the family but enough to raise questions as to why their deaths weren't investigated further. Then there are the judges and the banks that let him operate in gray area where he did all his best work. As many have said, John Grisham would struggle to come up with a novel as twisted as this one.

There have been 19 indictments and 99 additional charges brought against him from the financial side o the case explained here. One of his co-conspirators, Russell Lafitte, has already been tried and found guilty for his role facilitating payments and transfers of cash via Palmetto State Bank. If Murdaugh was found guilty on all financial charges, he would be approaching 700 years in prison so he was never going to see the light of day as a free man again regardless of how the murder trial went.

I hope that this isn't the end of the story. I hope many others have their day in court with this guy and he suffers mightily because of it. If he gets life today I don't know how that effects all of this but I suspect that most of it will go away. His former law firm claims they have made whole all of his victims as far as settlement money owed that he stole. I guess we'll see.

Glad they were wrong

I haven't watched any of this live until today. Listening to Judge Newman during this sentencing, it's kinda chilling. Consecutive life sentences.

Murdaugh stood up and stated he was innocent and would never hurt his wife Maggie or his son Pau Pau. And every word of it rang hollow.

Hearing him refer to the son he executed by his pet name "Pau-Pau" throughout his testimony and sentencing was especially nauseating. He is the worst of the worst.

Hearing him refer to the son he executed by his pet name "Pau-Pau" throughout his testimony and sentencing was especially nauseating. He is the worst of the worst.
“He was a good ol country boy!”
In the South, he might have been called A Good Ole Boy, nobody from the country would call him country.

Country boys do right by people, good Ole boys do not.

Especially because he never referred to him by that name in any of the previous questionings. I cringed hard. Obviously trying to get that "I'm just a good ol' boy" sympathy. So glad the jury saw through that.

As the proceedings started today, Judge Newman allowed all who wanted to speak before the court time to do so, including Alex Murdaugh who put forth a simple statement of innocnece:

"I respect this court, but I'm innocent. I would never under any circumstances hurt my wife, Maggie, and I would never under any circumstances hurt my son, Paul Paul."

Judge Newman then addressed Murdaugh before a rather quick moment when he proclaimed his sentence. The statement, in it's entirety can be seen here. I thought this was well said:

“It is also particularly troubling, Mr. Murdaugh, because as a member of the legal community, you have practiced before me, and we have seen each other at various occasions throughout the years, and it was especially heartbreaking for me to see you go in the media as a grieving father who lost a wife and son to being a person who was indicted to the person who killed them, and then you have engaged in duplicitous conduct here in the courtroom, here on the witness stand, and as established by the testimony throughout the time leading from the time of the indictment and prior to the time of the indictment to this point in time, certainly you have no obligation to say anything other than saying not guilty.

Obviously, as appeals are probably expected or absolutely expected, I would not expect a confession of any kind. In fact, as I have presided over murder cases over the past 22 years, I have yet to find a defendant who could go there, who could go back to that moment in time when they decided to pull the trigger or otherwise murder someone. I have not been able to get anyone, any defendant, even those who have confessed to being guilty to go back to explain to me what happened at that moment in time when they opted to pull the trigger, when they opted to commit the most heinous crime known to man."

I have no idea how defense attorneys do it. I mean the ones who are defending people accused of ugly, violent crimes. You have to put up an honest defense of so many people who you must know are guilty as sin. Ugh.

My FIL was a very good defense attorney for a long time before becoming a judge and I've talked at length with him about this. I tried to do some searching that sums up the gist of what he told me and this is a pretty comprehensive explanation.

How Do Defense Attorney's Sleep At Night?

In addition, a few things that stuck out to me from our conversations:
  • He never asked his clients if "they did it". For one thing, he didn't want to know in the first place and secondly, it didn't matter in terms of what his ultimate job was, which was to give his client the best possible legal representation before the court/jury.
  • It kind of goes without saying, but it's obviously much more preferable to have a legal system where truly guilty people are occasionally are found not guilty (note we don't use the word "innocent") for various reasons than an legal system where truly innocent people are found guilty.
Regardless, I do find the legal system as a whole pretty fascinating. In my younger days, I did consider law school before ultimately going into IT instead.

Last edited:
I have no idea how defense attorneys do it. I mean the ones who are defending people accused of ugly, violent crimes. You have to put up an honest defense of so many people who you must know are guilty as sin. Ugh.

My FIL was a very good defense attorney for a long time before becoming a judge and I've talked at length with him about this. I tried to do some searching that sums up the gist of what he told me and this is a pretty comprehensive explanation.

• He never asked his clients if "they did it". For one thing, he didn't want to know in the first place and secondly, it didn't matter in terms of what his ultimate job was, which was to give his client the best possible legal representation before the court/jury.
  • It kind of goes without saying, but it's obviously much more preferable to have a legal system where truly guilty people are occasionally are found not guilty (note we don't use the word "innocent") for various reasons than an legal system where truly innocent people are found guilty.
Regardless, I do find the legal system as a whole pretty fascinating. In my younger days, I did consider law school before ultimately going into IT instead.
after a case like this, it does seem important to remember that innocent people are indeed prosecuted. this system certainly isnt perfect, but I haven’t seen a better one (in theory).

Just finished the three part documentary about this case on Netflix so I’m an expert now…
They all suck. Hope Buster goes down too.

And to have people pronounce your name as “Alec” when it’s spelled Alex, horrible.

Is Andy Daulton related to this family?

I was going to post the same thing.....I was on the fence (not really) but his insistent use of the nickname "Paw Paw" to refer to his almost-adult-aged, murdered son was infuriating

As the proceedings started today, Judge Newman allowed all who wanted to speak before the court time to do so, including Alex Murdaugh who put forth a simple statement of innocnece:

"I respect this court, but I'm innocent. I would never under any circumstances hurt my wife, Maggie, and I would never under any circumstances hurt my son, Paul Paul."

Judge Newman then addressed Murdaugh before a rather quick moment when he proclaimed his sentence. The statement, in it's entirety can be seen here. I thought this was well said:

“It is also particularly troubling, Mr. Murdaugh, because as a member of the legal community, you have practiced before me, and we have seen each other at various occasions throughout the years, and it was especially heartbreaking for me to see you go in the media as a grieving father who lost a wife and son to being a person who was indicted to the person who killed them, and then you have engaged in duplicitous conduct here in the courtroom, here on the witness stand, and as established by the testimony throughout the time leading from the time of the indictment and prior to the time of the indictment to this point in time, certainly you have no obligation to say anything other than saying not guilty.

Obviously, as appeals are probably expected or absolutely expected, I would not expect a confession of any kind. In fact, as I have presided over murder cases over the past 22 years, I have yet to find a defendant who could go there, who could go back to that moment in time when they decided to pull the trigger or otherwise murder someone. I have not been able to get anyone, any defendant, even those who have confessed to being guilty to go back to explain to me what happened at that moment in time when they opted to pull the trigger, when they opted to commit the most heinous crime known to man."
I have to say, that judge was remarkably calm and direct with his entire speech. You could hear the anger and disappointment in his words but his voice never changed above a normal conversational tone. I remember all the times my parents would speak to me about crap I messed up on growing up and I couldn't image them being that calm and well-spoken, while at the same time absolutely ripping me a new one.

after a case like this, it does seem important to remember that innocent people are indeed prosecuted. this system certainly isnt perfect, but I haven’t seen a better one (in theory).

Our system is the worst in the world, other than all the rest. (Usually used in reference to government, but works here as well.)

Was there any record of him buying or owning a .300 blackout?
yeah, i think in the Netflix documentary they reference that the family was known to have a gun that fired the bullets which killed either wife or son, but somehow the gun was never turned over to authorities and went missing.

Was there any record of him buying or owning a .300 blackout?

It was the murdered son’s favorite rifle
Like all things in this case, there’s a story with the gun. Originally they bought two 300 Blackout rifles, one for each boy. Paul was notoriously bd about leaving weapons lying around or just leaving them and supposedly left his someplace, never to be seen again. Then his mom, apparently unbeknownst to AleX, bought Paul another .300 Blackout to replace the one he lost (proven by entry in Maggie’s checkbook). I believe it was this rifle that ultimately killed her ironically enough. They were able to prove that by comparing ballistics on shell casings from the murder scene to casing found in the gun room and getting a match. The only reason they knew to look there was because one of Paul’s friends who testified (can’t remember which one) and Paul were shooting his rifle last fall and he told the police about it prompting them to collect the casings.

Family of Mallory Beach, teen killed in Murdaugh boat crash case, announces $15 million settlement with convenience store company​

The family of a teenager killed in a crash involving a boat owned by the prominent South Carolina Murdaugh family has settled a wrongful death lawsuit with the convenience store that Paul Murdaugh, then 19, purchased alcohol from the night of the crash.

A “global settlement” for $15 million was reached Sunday with convenience store company Parker’s Kitchen and owner Greg Parker, an attorney for the family of teenager Mallory Beach confirmed to CNN.

“The Beach family believes this settlement will serve as a warning to all the Parker’s of the world, who might make an illegal sale of alcohol to a minor, that they will be held to account for their wrongful conduct if they do,” attorney Mark Tinsley told CNN. “These settlements won’t bring Mallory back, but we hope they do save someone else’s son or daughter.”

Family of Mallory Beach, teen killed in Murdaugh boat crash case, announces $15 million settlement with convenience store company​

The family of a teenager killed in a crash involving a boat owned by the prominent South Carolina Murdaugh family has settled a wrongful death lawsuit with the convenience store that Paul Murdaugh, then 19, purchased alcohol from the night of the crash.

A “global settlement” for $15 million was reached Sunday with convenience store company Parker’s Kitchen and owner Greg Parker, an attorney for the family of teenager Mallory Beach confirmed to CNN.

“The Beach family believes this settlement will serve as a warning to all the Parker’s of the world, who might make an illegal sale of alcohol to a minor, that they will be held to account for their wrongful conduct if they do,” attorney Mark Tinsley told CNN. “These settlements won’t bring Mallory back, but we hope they do save someone else’s son or daughter.”

Pretty sure they would have got alcohol somewhere or from someone that night. Paul used his olders brothers ID that night so it is tough on the store owners.

Responsibility should belong to Murdaugh or his family.

Defending the factually guilty is very easy. My job is to make sure their rights are complied with and their outcomes are reasonable and lawful.

It’s defending the ones I believe are factually innocent, or who have significant mitigating circumstances surrounding their case but the state won’t reasonably negotiate with me on, that keep me up at night.

Defending the factually guilty is very easy. My job is to make sure their rights are complied with and their outcomes are reasonable and lawful.

It’s defending the ones I believe are factually innocent, or who have significant mitigating circumstances surrounding their case but the state won’t reasonably negotiate with me on, that keep me up at night.
I was in a separate trial (litigation support role) with the attorney (Joe Friedberg) for Moe Williams during the Love Boat saga. His defense was Moe couldn't have had a lap dance since he was standing the whole time and thus had no lap. Still cracks me up to this day. Joe is one of the funniest guys I have ever met in the legal industry.

How is the store responsible if they asked for ID, the person has a valid ID that looks like them? To me that is tough.

Seems like family should be held more liable than store.

Users who are viewing this thread