What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Alex Murdaugh found shot (1 Viewer)

He testified as much as 30 a day if I heard him correctly.
Murdaugh is going to make it difficult to convict him.
He is looking right into that jury and talking to them from the stand.
Even when the prosecutor is summarizing Murdaugh's words, it feels like he is being a bully, too emotional.
He needs to be more matter of fact and then pour it on in the closing arguments.
Murdaugh is going to draw some sympathy with how this is unfolding.
I suppose and I'm saying this as someone who has made up their mind already, I don't know how the jury reconciles all the lies upon lies upon lies along with the technological evidence introduced last week and think it was anybody but Alex Murdaugh.
Yup. This isn't an M Night Shamalomadingdong movie.

I hope someone on the jury doesnt fall for this aw shucks act. Dude is a pyschopath and will lie to cover his a** at all costs.

If Murdaugh and family drove beaters and had old flip phones, seems like he’d skate pretty easily.

What was the “boom”? Not following close, just on the radio in short bursts while driving.

DA kept asking yesterday and today about "when was the point he decided to lie" and Murdaugh said it was during 1st in car interview. Then they played a clip where he lied 30 minutes before being interviewed. DA said "no other questions".

What was the “boom”? Not following close, just on the radio in short bursts while driving.
Been trying to find out on Twitter, can't really find the drop the mic thing but there was something. I saw a couple of "booms" there too but no follow up.

I say we bury @Nigel in notifications until he comes clean.

Edit to rescind my earlier statement, thanks for the update.

I didn't watch the whole thing, but not once did I hear either lawyer interrupt questioning with "I object". No sidebars, nothing. Is that unusual? Don't watch trials often but I recall it being nonstop in OJ's.

I don't think this prosecutor is winning the case.
There are holes galore in Alex Murdaugh's testimony but his stuttering kind of feels natural
He is getting the prosecutor to take on the bully role and I don't think all 12 jurors are going to roll right over for the prosecution
He rubs me the wrong way and I am not rooting for Murdaugh in any way.
He tells everyone he was on so may drugs he didn't know which way was up and which way was down, it might work as a defense.
The prosecutor likely doesn't have to grill an attorney or a seasoned law guy like Murdaugh, their trades of words are getting pretty hostile.
Remember the last time we talked and I reminded you "don't sound like a 45-year-old housewife sitting at home watching the Lifetime Channel"? Just here to remind you again.
j/k

There are holes galore in Alex Murdaugh's testimony but his stuttering kind of feels natural
He is getting the prosecutor to take on the bully role and I don't think all 12 jurors are going to roll right over for the prosecution
He tells everyone he was on so may drugs he didn't know which way was up and which way was down, it might work as a defense.
The prosecutor likely doesn't have to grill an attorney or a seasoned law guy like Murdaugh, their trades of words are getting pretty hostile.
Remember the last time we talked and I reminded you "don't sound like a 45-year-old housewife sitting at home watching the Lifetime Channel"? Just here to remind you again.
j/k
I listened for an hour and turned it off. Most I've heard in a court room since OJ

j/k
I listened for an hour and turned it off. Most I've heard in a court room since OJ
It's extremely repetitive, boring, and yet fascinating at the same time. Hard to watch much at one time.

j/k
It's extremely repetitive, boring, and yet fascinating at the same time. Hard to watch much at one time.
I concur with most, no matter how hard I try, hard to not find him not guilty of murder and yet...when he speaks and talks, it's hard to believe he would pull the trigger on his own son...now his wife is a whole other matter but still you can't believe he would actually do this and think he was getting away.

Then there's the fact he was basically suicidal and would like someone to kill him so the last family member could inherit some money...why?
It's hard to have suspension of disbelief in this case.
And yet it's entertaining and I have a hard time understanding exactly why that is.

I concur with most, no matter how hard I try, hard to not find him not guilty of murder and yet...when he speaks and talks, it's hard to believe he would pull the trigger on his own son...now his wife is a whole other matter but still you can't believe he would actually do this and think he was getting away.
He's got over 20 years of experience as a lawyer advising clients on how to act to try to manipulate juries. He's just doing it himself now, to manipulate his jury. If he was innocent, my opinion is that he never would have admitted, under oath, committing all those financial crimes. He ****ed needy clients out of most or all of their money, and admitted it in this trial. I don't think he'd do that unless he desperately tried it in order to get off on murder charges.

Then there's the fact he was basically suicidal and would like someone to kill him so the last family member could inherit some money...why?
It's hard to have suspension of disbelief in this case.
He says he was suicidal. I don't find any reason to believe that's true. He's the one who shot himself in the head, didn't die, blamed an unknown trucker, and then finally admitted that was a lie. https://www.thedailybeast.com/alex-...suicide-murder-plot-says-he-was-in-withdrawal

He wants the jury to believe his acting on the stand. He's always acting. In his own interests.

He wants the jury to believe his acting on the stand. He's always acting. In his own interests.
At every twist in the story, "something" happens to divert attention. The common thread in it all? The diversions are all orchestrated by the guy on trial for murder. When his son killed someone while drunkenly driving a family boat full of his friends, Alex was on the scene immediately, badge hanging out of his pocket for effect, trying to manipulate everyone's stories so his son wouldn't be charged. Then his son gets charged and some snoopy reporters start sifting through some of the financial information being presented in the boat case and discover some anomalies. They start down a rabbit hole and strike gold causing questions to be asked. When his firm starts to dig and realize he owes a sizable chunk of money that he claims has been paid or accounted for but can't produce anything to prove it, things really start to get bad. That same day someone murders his wife and son, somehow sparing him. When the spotlight begins to focus on him, a suicide-for-hire plot is devised with Alex's lacky to once again, divert attention from the case. In between all of this, a opioid addiction is brought to light and Alex bounces around rehab's...trying to divert attention and gain sympathy. A $10 million dollar habit that would completely incapacitate even the best junky and still leave enough pills left over to get most of the state of SC high but allowed Alex to continue to function at work, and well judging by his compensation, and mastermind theft from almost every case he was associated with.

I really think those last two days of testimony started off with Alex thinking he could once again play on the heart strings of the jury but as it unfolded, it became more Alex confessing to himself and admitting (unwittingly or otherwise) to not only being there in the last few minutes of his wife & son's lives but not being able to explain what he was doing in the following few minutes after all that occurred.

Through all of this, the experts I have seen over the weekend tend to believe this will be a hung jury or a not guilty verdict.
The experts all seem to think the prosecutor did a horrible job and failed to provide proof without a reasonable doubt.

Through all of this, the experts I have seen over the weekend tend to believe this will be a hung jury or a not guilty verdict.
The experts all seem to think the prosecutor did a horrible job and failed to provide proof without a reasonable doubt.
I've heard that a lot and I have to ask, "what trial were they watching?" It seems the preponderance of the evidence can only point to one person who has repeatedly lied about his actions on that day with a history of weaving lies to support his life. I don't think the defense has proposed a suitable alternative scenario that is believable with the witnesses they put forth and the cherry on top was Alex getting tripped up late Friday and caught in yet another lie while he was on the stand.

I've been following this case for 4 years. I've made it known that I think he's guilty but I think the prosecution put forth a pretty solid case to prove, without a reasonable doubt, that Alex Murdaugh did kill his wife & son. He had the motive, the means and the desire to do so. I can still see it going either way just because of where the trial is located but strictly based on the evidence put forth so far, I don't see how they don't convict him.

If this is all still ongoing, why is the documentary out? Season 2 coming?
I have no idea what this is all about. I heard my MIL talking to my wife about it, then looked at this thread for a moment.
Sounds interesting I guess. Never heard of these people.

News media and experts have often stopped reporting the news and have started promoting a "horserace" narrative in the last 6 years or so.

Russia's getting beaten in the Ukraine war? Go tell them about upcoming Ukrainian weakness. Sam Bankman-Fried's obviously guilty of multiple crimes? Go report on possible defense arguments that could scuttle the case. Dan Snyder's being forced by the NFL to sell the Commanders? Go report on doubts about buyers.

Create a "horserace" narrative in your reporting. "They're neck and neck coming down the stretch."

That's what's happening with the "experts" here.

If this is all still ongoing, why is the documentary out? Season 2 coming?
I have no idea what this is all about. I heard my MIL talking to my wife about it, then looked at this thread for a moment.
Sounds interesting I guess. Never heard of these people.
It's an incredibly twisted tale of theft, lying and murder all centered around Alex Murdaugh who came from a family of privilege in a very poor part of SC where he, and his family, wield incredible power over the law in that area. There is a 3 part series on HBO that is a little shorter if you have that. This Netflix one is centered more on the boat crash victims from what I've heard. That was what started the toppling of the house of cards Alex had set up over more than a decade of stealing money from his clients, law firm, friends, pretty much everyone.

My oldest would say that 50/50 its a hung jury (it either is, or it isn't), but his strong suit was never math HOWEVER, I'm leaning towards this being a hung jury and we get to do it all over again. Prosecutor was EXTREMELY detailed in his closing argument (so much so that one news agency reported that a juror took a quick siesta). I think he's guilty as hell, but I don't think that the prosecution confirmed that to a reasonable doubt to 12 jury members. That's just me. Such a train wreck, and so many lives effected. Sad.

Netflix series has landed
just finished watching it last night.

a wild 3 episodes.

it just reinforces that rich people can get away with anything until they step on the wrong foot. being a drug addicted alcoholic who used his influence to cover up murders and protect his loutish kid was fine until he got caught by his own firm partners taking money out of their pockets.

guy could have carried on forever doing anything he wanted if he hadn't ostensibly stolen money from his partners.

and, hell, he still might walk away from all this relatively unscathed.

work-a-day joe gets away with 1% of this before they lock him under the ****ing jail

Netflix series has landed
just finished watching it last night.

a wild 3 episodes.

it just reinforces that rich people can get away with anything until they step on the wrong foot. being a drug addicted alcoholic who used his influence to cover up murders and protect his loutish kid was fine until he got caught by his own firm partners taking money out of their pockets.

guy could have carried on forever doing anything he wanted if he hadn't ostensibly stolen money from his partners.

and, hell, he still might walk away from all this relatively unscathed.

work-a-day joe gets away with 1% of this before they lock him under the ****ing jail

if he gets away with this - someone will track him down and take care of business

or one can only hope.

Hunnert percent

When reading about Danny Snyder scandals, it was when I read he had been under-reporting numbers to scam his fellow owners, that I was like, uh oh, now you did it.

he still might walk away from all this relatively unscathed
The upside to all this is he will "probably" live the rest of his life in prison even if this jury doesn't convict. He's already admitted guilt to enough of the financial crimes to assure he won't be getting out any time soon and that was before there were an addition 70 charges added.

The sad part would be that these murders will likely go unsolved if he isn't convicted of the crimes. I might be wrong and SLED will reopen the investigation and hunt down the two midgets who the defense thinks committed the crimes but I wouldn't bet on it.

I have not watched a single minute….is there any strong physical evidence or is this a case dependent on electronic evidence that clearly makes the accused a complete liar and obvious he was involved.

Again I have no knowledge of the case but know it has been heavily followed.

Without knowing all the details, seems like justice was served here. Glad someone couldn't pay their way out of the system.

Jury deliberated slightly less than 3 hours. There sure wasn't much doubt in their minds.
https://abcnews.go.com/US/jury-reaches-verdict-alex-murdaugh-double-murder-trial/story?id=97559257

The jury reached the verdict after deliberating for nearly three hours Thursday after hearing five weeks of testimony from more than 70 witnesses -- including Alex Murdaugh himself, who denied the murders but admitted to lying to investigators and cheating his clients.

He was found guilty on all four counts -- two counts of murder and two counts of possession of a weapon in the commitment of a violent crime.

I have no idea how defense attorneys do it. I mean the ones who are defending people accused of ugly, violent crimes. You have to put up an honest defense of so many people who you must know are guilty as sin. Ugh.

Users who are viewing this thread