What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Alfred Morris, why is he rated so low (1 Viewer)

Heres FBG top 151 RB Trent Richardson, CLE 5 4 1 1 2.8 2.5 2.51 RB Arian Foster, HOU 2 1 6 2 2.8 2.0 2.03 RB Adrian Peterson, MIN 1 2 5 4 3.0 3.0 3.04 RB Ray Rice, BAL 3 5 2 3 3.2 3.0 3.05 RB LeSean McCoy, PHI 8 3 3 6 5.0 4.5 4.56 RB Doug Martin, TB 6 7 4 5 5.5 5.5 5.57 RB Jamaal Charles, KC 4 8 8 8 7.0 8.0 8.08 RB Marshawn Lynch, SEA 7 6 9 7 7.2 7.0 7.09 RB C.J. Spiller, BUF 9 11 7 9 9.0 9.0 9.010 RB Matt Forte, CHI 12 9 10 10 10.2 10.0 10.011 RB DeMarco Murray, DAL 10 14 11 13 12.0 12.0 12.012 RB Alfred Morris, WAS 15 12 12 11 12.5 12.0 12.013 RB Chris Johnson, TEN 11 10 18 14 13.2 12.5 12.513 RB Maurice Jones-Drew, JAX 13 15 13 12 13.2 13.0 13.015 RB Darren McFadden, OAK 17 13 14 15 14.8 14.5 14.5Right off the bat I would take Morris over Forte due to his injury history and TD vulture Bush being in ChiNext I would surely take him Murray again due to his injury history and he did not look good at all last yr.Lastly, it would be a tough call but I slight have Spiller higher due to CJ being a more talented player; but its close
I hadn't looked at this yet, but wow, Richardson #1?! I agree that Morris should be in the top 10. I can't believe Murray is ahead of him. Murray is pretty much on my DND list. Spiller is hard not to like, but who is his QB going to be? Charles was hit or miss last year and his o-line is going to be in flux. How the hell is Lynch so low? In a redraft, I'd take him over Richardson. It wouldn't even be close b/w Lynch and McCoy. This is a bad list. I wouldn't put too much stock in it. Wait until the season gets closer to worry about the rankings.
Those are the consensus dynasty rankings, not redraft.

Heres FBG top 151 RB Trent Richardson, CLE 5 4 1 1 2.8 2.5 2.51 RB Arian Foster, HOU 2 1 6 2 2.8 2.0 2.03 RB Adrian Peterson, MIN 1 2 5 4 3.0 3.0 3.04 RB Ray Rice, BAL 3 5 2 3 3.2 3.0 3.05 RB LeSean McCoy, PHI 8 3 3 6 5.0 4.5 4.56 RB Doug Martin, TB 6 7 4 5 5.5 5.5 5.57 RB Jamaal Charles, KC 4 8 8 8 7.0 8.0 8.08 RB Marshawn Lynch, SEA 7 6 9 7 7.2 7.0 7.09 RB C.J. Spiller, BUF 9 11 7 9 9.0 9.0 9.010 RB Matt Forte, CHI 12 9 10 10 10.2 10.0 10.011 RB DeMarco Murray, DAL 10 14 11 13 12.0 12.0 12.012 RB Alfred Morris, WAS 15 12 12 11 12.5 12.0 12.013 RB Chris Johnson, TEN 11 10 18 14 13.2 12.5 12.513 RB Maurice Jones-Drew, JAX 13 15 13 12 13.2 13.0 13.015 RB Darren McFadden, OAK 17 13 14 15 14.8 14.5 14.5Right off the bat I would take Morris over Forte due to his injury history and TD vulture Bush being in ChiNext I would surely take him Murray again due to his injury history and he did not look good at all last yr.Lastly, it would be a tough call but I slight have Spiller higher due to CJ being a more talented player; but its close
I hadn't looked at this yet, but wow, Richardson #1?! I agree that Morris should be in the top 10. I can't believe Murray is ahead of him. Murray is pretty much on my DND list. Spiller is hard not to like, but who is his QB going to be? Charles was hit or miss last year and his o-line is going to be in flux. How the hell is Lynch so low? In a redraft, I'd take him over Richardson. It wouldn't even be close b/w Lynch and McCoy. This is a bad list. I wouldn't put too much stock in it. Wait until the season gets closer to worry about the rankings.
T-Rich #1 in dynasty is due to him still being 21, and w Lynch? Maybe it's because he still has a DUI case in cal this offseason and could suspended

That explains a lot. But still, I know it's not a popular concept, but I wouldn't take ADP #3. Guy has a lot of hard miles and his situation isn't exactly getting better. He's coming off of a 370 carry season... I'd probably take Lynch over him. Lynch is a year younger, has several hundred less career carries, and has an improving team. I can see why the OP is surprised, though. Morris is young and looked too solid to be a fluke type player. But at the same time, I like the point of the guy who said Royster could probably fill in and the offense would keep moving along. Even so, I'd say Morris' 3 year outlook is much better than ADP, Charles, Murray, Forte, and maybe even Rice.

That explains a lot. But still, I know it's not a popular concept, but I wouldn't take ADP #3. Guy has a lot of hard miles and his situation isn't exactly getting better. He's coming off of a 370 carry season... I'd probably take Lynch over him. Lynch is a year younger, has several hundred less career carries, and has an improving team. I can see why the OP is surprised, though. Morris is young and looked too solid to be a fluke type player. But at the same time, I like the point of the guy who said Royster could probably fill in and the offense would keep moving along. Even so, I'd say Morris' 3 year outlook is much better than ADP, Charles, Murray, Forte, and maybe even Rice.
Getting too fancy here, don't you think? No way I'm taking Lynch over AP in any format/league.

'Phenix said:
People are idiots, thats why. Even after Shanny gives him 315 plus touches, they still think he is holding him back. He doesnt catch passes? Yet still managed to rack up 1600 plus yards. He find the endzone?So what is the problem? People like McFadden over this guy, and McFadden has never stayed healthy or sniffed the production Morris has.Just plain hype of others I guess and he is slippin. Get him on the cheap if you can. I couldnt move him for Murray or McFadden straight up according tot he other owners in my league.PS-If you think he's that good why are you trying to trade him for McFadden?
How he's valued in one league isn't exactly an overall picture. I've looked up ADP from numerous leagues and he's about rb9 to rb11. McFadden, Murray, etc are lower. Other than Terrel Davis and Portis, all the other rbs that have had a good season with Shanahan have quickly disappeared. They both had a lot more talent than Morris. I think most of us know he wouldn't start with another team in the league and probably would be lucky to make the roster. Maybe he could be a full back and block. It's pretty dangerous when you are that replaceable. Things change quick. The Redskins could have a bad year and miss the playoffs. Schneider loves to fire coaches. Or Morris could fumble twice in a game or have a hamstring injury. Another back comes in and plays well and there you go.The only good thing I'll say for him is that he'll probably put good numbers up next year and it's hard to find top 10 production, even for a year or 2. I put his value about the same as MJD. A guy I count on for a year or 2 and expect nothing out of after that.

Last edited by a moderator:
'Phenix said:
People are idiots, thats why. Even after Shanny gives him 315 plus touches, they still think he is holding him back. He doesnt catch passes? Yet still managed to rack up 1600 plus yards. He find the endzone?

So what is the problem? People like McFadden over this guy, and McFadden has never stayed healthy or sniffed the production Morris has.

Just plain hype of others I guess and he is slippin. Get him on the cheap if you can.

I couldnt move him for Murray or McFadden straight up according tot he other owners in my league.

PS-If you think he's that good why are you trying to trade him for McFadden?
How he's valued in one league isn't exactly an overall picture. I've looked up ADP from numerous leagues and he's about rb9 to rb11. McFadden, Murray, etc are lower. Other than Terrel Davis and Portis, all the other rbs that have had a good season with Shanahan have quickly disappeared. They both had a lot more talent than Morris. I think most of us know he wouldn't start with another team in the league and probably would be lucky to make the roster. Maybe he could be a full back and block. It's pretty dangerous when you are that replaceable. Things change quick. The Redskins could have a bad year and miss the playoffs. Schneider loves to fire coaches. Or Morris could fumble twice in a game or have a hamstring injury. Another back comes in and plays well and there you go.

The only good thing I'll say for him is that he'll probably put good numbers up next year and it's hard to find top 10 production, even for a year or 2. I put his value about the same as MJD. A guy I count on for a year or 2 and expect nothing out of after that.
I can't speak for "most of us", but I believe there isn't a team in the league where Morris would struggle to make the roster. By my quick count, there are 17 teams in the league where, if he was on the roster, I would easily expect him to win the starting job. He's not Samkon Gado, here.

'flc735 said:
'Jewell said:
People are slow to accept "non-pedigree" studs. If Alfred Morris was a first round pick and put up the numbers he did last year he would be in everyone's top ten. Since Morris was a sixth round pick, however, people are slow to accept what Morris did last year as something he's capable of year-in and year-out. People were similarly slow to accept the late round pick Tom Brady as a legitimate talent at the beginning of his career.
I wouldn't say that. People were all in on Foster after 3 games and the season opener. Priest Holmes, Larry Johnson, Portis, Charles...They were all drafted late and value highly after their first successful season.Slaton was valued very highly after his rookie season. He was is a very similar situation, actually. He was drafted late. Was labeled a 3rd down back (vs alfred's goal line back label). Zone scheme. Slaton had 1619 total yards, 10 TDs and 50 rec. Alf had 1683, 13 and 7.

After Slaton's rookie season, he was being drafted in the 1.09-1.12 range in both dyno and redraft leagues.

Tom Brady had the same kind of initial season Sad Bradford did (Brady won the SB, Braford won ROY) and they were both valued about the same the following year.
I don't think that is true at all. even AFTER Foster tore it up that first full-time season, there were tons of people out there doubting. I can recall a LOT of posts in these forums when Foster had the hamstring problems where people where saying "Nice knowking you Foster, there's your 15 minutes." People were still trying their best to put Tate in there above foster even after two great seasons. Maybe the Slaton comments answer the question. In general, people are leery to accept the next big thing at RB unless they come into the league with a lot of fanfare. When a guy comes in with a name like ADP or TRICH, people are ON BOARD. When they come in with a name and don't deliver (Ingram, Matthews), people try to stay on board. When they come out of nowhere and Do deliver, people always say "show it to me again to prove you're not a fluke".
It's not about fanfare, it's how people view their talent - neither are considered top tier (or even middle tier really) talents. Foster is stud because he's in the perfect offense for him and stays healthy. The same goes for Morris. Both of these guys are difficult to put a lot of faith in because there's the concern that if they get injured and it diminishes their skills in any way it will be hard for them to get their jobs back.

I agree that Morris should be in the top 10. I can't believe Murray is ahead of him. Murray is pretty much on my DND list.
:goodposting: Anyone putting Murray that high, much less ahead of Morris, must be drinking a lot of booze. They were probably the same people drinking a lot last year, which explains why so many people foolishly had him as a first or second round draft pick/expensive RB in auctions going into 2012. I think people are still stuck on that monster game vs. the Rams. Meanwhile, Morris is the unquestioned starting RB in an offense under a head coach who always delivers top notch rushing numbers and touchdowns.

I agree that Morris should be in the top 10. I can't believe Murray is ahead of him. Murray is pretty much on my DND list.
:goodposting: Anyone putting Murray that high, much less ahead of Morris, must be drinking a lot of booze. They were probably the same people drinking a lot last year, which explains why so many people foolishly had him as a first or second round draft pick/expensive RB in auctions going into 2012.
I'm not a fan of Murray and his propensity to get injured, but he does catch a lot more passes and Morris is only 10 months younger.

:goodposting: Anyone putting Murray that high, much less ahead of Morris, must be drinking a lot of booze. They were probably the same people drinking a lot last year, which explains why so many people foolishly had him as a first or second round draft pick/expensive RB in auctions going into 2012.
I'm not a fan of Murray and his propensity to get injured, but he does catch a lot more passes and Morris is only 10 months younger.
Big deal. Morris scores a lot more, gets fed the rock more and is in an offense that will always feed him the ball inside the 10, unlike Murray, where in Dallas, Jason Garrett often seems intent on throwing non-stop inside the 10. So, Murray owners not only have his propensity for getting injured to worry about, but they have to worry about him being in an offense that doesn't cater to RBs. Morris, on the other hand, is on one of the most RB-friendly offenses in the NFL.

I have a quandary that I have to drop either Ray Rice or Morris. On the face of it, a no-brainer. Rice is dual purpose, so far Morris is only a 2 down back. But I am a little worried that Baltimore was starting to use their second running back (Pierce?) quite a lot in the playoffs. Tough one.

'Phenix said:
People are idiots, thats why. Even after Shanny gives him 315 plus touches, they still think he is holding him back. He doesnt catch passes? Yet still managed to rack up 1600 plus yards. He find the endzone?

So what is the problem? People like McFadden over this guy, and McFadden has never stayed healthy or sniffed the production Morris has.

Just plain hype of others I guess and he is slippin. Get him on the cheap if you can.

I couldnt move him for Murray or McFadden straight up according tot he other owners in my league.

PS-If you think he's that good why are you trying to trade him for McFadden?
How he's valued in one league isn't exactly an overall picture. I've looked up ADP from numerous leagues and he's about rb9 to rb11. McFadden, Murray, etc are lower. Other than Terrel Davis and Portis, all the other rbs that have had a good season with Shanahan have quickly disappeared. They both had a lot more talent than Morris. I think most of us know he wouldn't start with another team in the league and probably would be lucky to make the roster. Maybe he could be a full back and block. It's pretty dangerous when you are that replaceable. Things change quick. The Redskins could have a bad year and miss the playoffs. Schneider loves to fire coaches. Or Morris could fumble twice in a game or have a hamstring injury. Another back comes in and plays well and there you go.

The only good thing I'll say for him is that he'll probably put good numbers up next year and it's hard to find top 10 production, even for a year or 2. I put his value about the same as MJD. A guy I count on for a year or 2 and expect nothing out of after that.
What?

Big deal. Morris scores a lot more, gets fed the rock more and is in an offense that will always feed him the ball inside the 10, unlike Murray, where in Dallas, Jason Garrett often seems intent on throwing non-stop inside the 10. So, Murray owners not only have his propensity for getting injured to worry about, but they have to worry about him being in an offense that doesn't cater to RBs. Morris, on the other hand, is on one of the most RB-friendly offenses in the NFL.
Murray was the #3 RB in the 7 games he started in 2011. Those passes mean a lot in PPR.

'meyerj31 said:
Getting too fancy here, don't you think? No way I'm taking Lynch over AP in any format/league.
It may seem like it in March, coming on the heels of a 2000 yard season, but if you really think about it, no, I don't think it is fancy. Against the grain? Yes. I don't feel great about Lynch coming off of a 351 carry season, but at least his team is getting better.

One issue I have with ranking this guy too high is the fact that Helu is still on that roster...and looked good in his own right before getting hurt.

'cstu said:
'Ghost Rider said:
'cstu said:
'Ghost Rider said:
Murray was the #3 RB in the 7 games he started in 2011.

Those passes mean a lot in PPR.
Are you really gonna rely on a stretch from two seasons ago? How did he do in 2012?

One issue I have with ranking this guy too high is the fact that Helu is still on that roster...and looked good in his own right before getting hurt.
Helu looked OK. Despite getting all the short yardage carries, Morris averaged 4.8 ypc on 300+ carries. That is pretty damn impressive. Helu only averaged 4.2 ypc on his 150 and only had 2 TDs and I am pretty sure didn't have as many short yardage carries.If Morris is healthy, I see no reason for Helu to cut into his carries at all. The coaches loved Morris and with a gimpy RG3, Morris single handedly shredded the Cowboys to get them into the playoffs even though the Cowboys knew he was getting the ball every play. Not sure if you watched that game, but Morris was ridiculous in their biggest game of the year. He also played real well against Seattle (16-80, 5ypc) in the playoffs, again with a gimpy RG3.I have him in one league and no doubt I will be keeping him for something absurd like an 18th round pick. That and his handcuffs will be real cheap.

'Wise Old Owl said:
'voiceofunreason said:
he wouldn't start with another team in the league and probably would be lucky to make the roster. Maybe he could be a full back and block.
What?
I don't agree with unreason's overall assessment of Morris (I'm biased, though, as a fan of the team), but to be fair, Morris was generally being projected as a FB in the NFL prior to the draft. There seemed to be more than a few pundits and NFL insiders, alike, that saw Morris that way. Shanahan got to coach Morris at the Senior Bowl (pretty sure he was even listed as a FB at the Senior Bowl) and told him he saw him as a RB in the NFL.

I would normally agree with this if it was anybody BUT peterson . His body, determination, and work ethic are unmatched, so I would not necessarily compare him to other rbs that had the same amount of carries as he did last year (and how they rapidly tailored off thereafter).

Helu looked OK. Despite getting all the short yardage carries, Morris averaged 4.8 ypc on 300+ carries. That is pretty damn impressive. Helu only averaged 4.2 ypc on his 150 and only had 2 TDs and I am pretty sure didn't have as many short yardage carries.If Morris is healthy, I see no reason for Helu to cut into his carries at all. The coaches loved Morris and with a gimpy RG3, Morris single handedly shredded the Cowboys to get them into the playoffs even though the Cowboys knew he was getting the ball every play. Not sure if you watched that game, but Morris was ridiculous in their biggest game of the year. He also played real well against Seattle (16-80, 5ypc) in the playoffs, again with a gimpy RG3.I have him in one league and no doubt I will be keeping him for something absurd like an 18th round pick. That and his handcuffs will be real cheap.
Over the last two seasons, here's the breakdown, presented without comment or analysis:2 or fewer yards to goMorris: 27/37/5 (1.37 ypc, 59% first down rate)Helu: 18/64/1 (3.56 ypc, 61% first down rate)3 or more yards to goMorris: 308/1568/8 (5.09 ypc)Helu: 135/578/1 (4.28 ypc)I don't think the ypc difference in short yardage situations is particularly meaningful (Morris had a much higher percentage of his carries coming in goal-to-go situations, which obviously limits potential yardage), but I included it anyway in case anyone cares.

Helu looked OK. Despite getting all the short yardage carries, Morris averaged 4.8 ypc on 300+ carries. That is pretty damn impressive. Helu only averaged 4.2 ypc on his 150 and only had 2 TDs and I am pretty sure didn't have as many short yardage carries.If Morris is healthy, I see no reason for Helu to cut into his carries at all. The coaches loved Morris and with a gimpy RG3, Morris single handedly shredded the Cowboys to get them into the playoffs even though the Cowboys knew he was getting the ball every play. Not sure if you watched that game, but Morris was ridiculous in their biggest game of the year. He also played real well against Seattle (16-80, 5ypc) in the playoffs, again with a gimpy RG3.

I have him in one league and no doubt I will be keeping him for something absurd like an 18th round pick. That and his handcuffs will be real cheap.
Over the last two seasons, here's the breakdown, presented without comment or analysis:2 or fewer yards to go

Morris: 27/37/5 (1.37 ypc, 59% first down rate)

Helu: 18/64/1 (3.56 ypc, 61% first down rate)

3 or more yards to go

Morris: 308/1568/8 (5.09 ypc)

Helu: 135/578/1 (4.28 ypc)

I don't think the ypc difference in short yardage situations is particularly meaningful (Morris had a much higher percentage of his carries coming in goal-to-go situations, which obviously limits potential yardage), but I included it anyway in case anyone cares.
Wasn't really advocating for Helu as a starter over Morris. Simply pointing out that a year ago it was widely believed that Helu would be the starter. He's performed more than well enough to earn carries and more importantly, significant looks in the passing game which will limit Morris' ceiling. MOrris, to me, is probably over-rated as a fantasy RB1 at this point, but makes a pretty safe RB2. Apparently, I'm not alone in that thining based on where he sits in consensus type rankings.

Lots of Skins fans aren't even sure that Helu will make the 53 this year, with his injury woes. He probably will, but he's struggling mightily with a disturbingly long-term turf toe injury. And before that, he had Achilles issues. In both feet.

So its not looking good. Two different foot injuries, both known to linger and become nagging, long-term problems. He's way behind in his recovery.

Over the last two seasons, here's the breakdown, presented without comment or analysis:2 or fewer yards to goMorris: 27/37/5 (1.37 ypc, 59% first down rate)Helu: 18/64/1 (3.56 ypc, 61% first down rate)3 or more yards to goMorris: 308/1568/8 (5.09 ypc)Helu: 135/578/1 (4.28 ypc)I don't think the ypc difference in short yardage situations is particularly meaningful (Morris had a much higher percentage of his carries coming in goal-to-go situations, which obviously limits potential yardage), but I included it anyway in case anyone cares.
While it isn't huge, you are correct that Morris had a lot of goal to gos, so even if he blew in untouched, he still gets potentially only 1 yard.That said, it does highlight a 0.81 ypc difference, which is pretty big and what I was trying to mention. I think Helu had some nice fantasy games (especially adding in his 14 reception game in PPR) in 2011, but I don't think he played nearly as well as Morris.I didn't watch a lot of Redskin games as the Panthers dominate the local TV (don't have NFL Sunday Ticket), but the few games I saw I came away pretty impressed with Morris. Even in the games where defenses knew RG3 wasn't healthy, he looked solid to me. From all the coach speak, they sure seem to like him and I see no reason anyone will take meaningful carries from Morris, if healthy of course.

Helu looked OK. Despite getting all the short yardage carries, Morris averaged 4.8 ypc on 300+ carries. That is pretty damn impressive. Helu only averaged 4.2 ypc on his 150 and only had 2 TDs and I am pretty sure didn't have as many short yardage carries.If Morris is healthy, I see no reason for Helu to cut into his carries at all. The coaches loved Morris and with a gimpy RG3, Morris single handedly shredded the Cowboys to get them into the playoffs even though the Cowboys knew he was getting the ball every play. Not sure if you watched that game, but Morris was ridiculous in their biggest game of the year. He also played real well against Seattle (16-80, 5ypc) in the playoffs, again with a gimpy RG3.

I have him in one league and no doubt I will be keeping him for something absurd like an 18th round pick. That and his handcuffs will be real cheap.
Over the last two seasons, here's the breakdown, presented without comment or analysis:2 or fewer yards to go

Morris: 27/37/5 (1.37 ypc, 59% first down rate)

Helu: 18/64/1 (3.56 ypc, 61% first down rate)

3 or more yards to go

Morris: 308/1568/8 (5.09 ypc)

Helu: 135/578/1 (4.28 ypc)

I don't think the ypc difference in short yardage situations is particularly meaningful (Morris had a much higher percentage of his carries coming in goal-to-go situations, which obviously limits potential yardage), but I included it anyway in case anyone cares.
Wasn't really advocating for Helu as a starter over Morris. Simply pointing out that a year ago it was widely believed that Helu would be the starter. He's performed more than well enough to earn carries and more importantly, significant looks in the passing game which will limit Morris' ceiling. MOrris, to me, is probably over-rated as a fantasy RB1 at this point, but makes a pretty safe RB2. Apparently, I'm not alone in that thining based on where he sits in consensus type rankings.
I agree with you, but I am in PPR leagues, so Morris' ceiling isn't as high in those. I feel very comfortable with him at RB2, knowing that if healthy, he is probably a low end RB1. While receptions are an issue, I also think that TDs are not, like some other top RBs. Especially with the injury issues RG3 has, I think even if RG3 is 100% healthy, Morris will get all the goal line work (not like Newton) and I think we will see RG3 being more careful and maybe even throw more dump offs than running.I guess the nice thing is that Morris has a pretty high floor. If he plays 16, the chances of him having a 1200-10TD season are pretty damn good, which makes him a nice security blanket if you get him as an RB2.

First, you're assuming that Morris is going to score 13 times in 2013. That's a tall order. You have to assume that RGIII will be ready at the beginning of the season, and be the dual threat that he his. TDs are volatile, unless you're an elite RB like Peterson or Foster.Now I wouldn't currently rank Murray ahead of Morris, but that's due to injury history. If Murray and Morris played 16 games, I would expect Murray to catch 50 passes and Morris 10. Morris needs to score 7 more times than Murray to make up that difference. If healthy I can't see Murray scoring less than 8 TDs, so Morris needs to score 13 times or so to keep value with a Murray who catches passes.

Now in a non PPR league, it's a no brainer that Morris is a much better option than Murray, since he is likely to score more TDs. But most leagues today are PPR or 1/2 PPR leagues, where the pass catching back can be a better option than Morris. For example, Ray Rice didn't score many TDs last year, but his pass catching ability raised his floor to 10-12 points. Morris is going to have quite a few 5-10 point games in games where he doesn't score a TD. It's hard to compete when your RB1 is scoring single digits say 4-7 games.

Morris's value hinges greatly on RGIII. When we know RGIII's status for the start of the season is when I can rank Morris a lot better.

That said, it does highlight a 0.81 ypc difference, which is pretty big and what I was trying to mention. I think Helu had some nice fantasy games (especially adding in his 14 reception game in PPR) in 2011, but I don't think he played nearly as well as Morris.
I'll grant that, assuming 100% health for both, Helu should be considered the better pass catching back, atm. But be careful using that 14 reception game as a great indicator of either what he can do or how he'll be used in the future. That anomaly of a stat line was strictly due to John Beck not being an NFL QB

First, you're assuming that Morris is going to score 13 times in 2013. That's a tall order. You have to assume that RGIII will be ready at the beginning of the season, and be the dual threat that he his. TDs are volatile, unless you're an elite RB like Peterson or Foster.Now I wouldn't currently rank Murray ahead of Morris, but that's due to injury history. If Murray and Morris played 16 games, I would expect Murray to catch 50 passes and Morris 10. Morris needs to score 7 more times than Murray to make up that difference. If healthy I can't see Murray scoring less than 8 TDs, so Morris needs to score 13 times or so to keep value with a Murray who catches passes.

Now in a non PPR league, it's a no brainer that Morris is a much better option than Murray, since he is likely to score more TDs. But most leagues today are PPR or 1/2 PPR leagues, where the pass catching back can be a better option than Morris. For example, Ray Rice didn't score many TDs last year, but his pass catching ability raised his floor to 10-12 points. Morris is going to have quite a few 5-10 point games in games where he doesn't score a TD. It's hard to compete when your RB1 is scoring single digits say 4-7 games.

Morris's value hinges greatly on RGIII. When we know RGIII's status for the start of the season is when I can rank Morris a lot better.
It's true that touchdowns can fluctuate greatly from one year to the next with regards to RBs, but Murray only has 6 career NFL TDs on 385 touches, and he hasn't been able to stay healthy in either season, and we all know how dangerous it is to assume a RB who gets hurt all of the time will suddenly find a way to never get hurt. Darren McFadden anyone? Sure, the sky is the limit if Murray can stay healthy AND if Jason Garrett suddenly goes against what he has been doing for years and decides to start running the ball more inside the 10 (resulting in more TD runs for Dallas RBs), but I can't see making either of those leaps, much less both, and both are probably gonna have to happen for Murray to approach the numbers that some think he is capable of getting. Bottom line: Murray's floor is way lower than Morris', and even if you think their ceilings are pretty similar, that still makes Morris the safer pick, especially as a late first rounder/early second rounder. Also, I expect Morris' catches to go up in 2013. He only had 11 in 2012, but 5 of them were in the last three weeks of the season, so he was trending upward with them, and with RG3's knee likely to be a concern early on, checkdowns to the RBs and TEs could be on the menu to protect RG3 and his knee.

Those dynasty ranking don't specify format. It's worth reminding people (particularly referencing the Murray vs. Morris conversation) that not everyone plays PPR.

Fyi morris' 3rd down work increased as the year went on he didn't get many stats but if i remember correctly he was running out the backfield quite a bit by around week 12-13. I dont have any stats to back that up but ge was in more on third down as the season progressed. Im not sure about royster being 100%a healthy so that may havw something to do with it. Rg3 was also dealing with injuries at the time iirc... somebody with access to the stats might want to share which percentage of third downs he played towards the end of the year. Sorry i dont have them stats for you. Carry on! Thanks for your input on Morris. He is definitely top 12 for me in ppr or not. Hes tough humble smart and shifty. Receptions will come this year i believe. Not a bunch but i could easily see 25-30.

Fyi morris' 3rd down work increased as the year went on he didn't get many stats but if i remember correctly he was running out the backfield quite a bit by around week 12-13. I dont have any stats to back that up but ge was in more on third down as the season progressed. Im not sure about royster being 100%a healthy so that may havw something to do with it. Rg3 was also dealing with injuries at the time iirc... somebody with access to the stats might want to share which percentage of third downs he played towards the end of the year. Sorry i dont have them stats for you. Carry on! Thanks for your input on Morris. He is definitely top 12 for me in ppr or not. Hes tough humble smart and shifty. Receptions will come this year i believe. Not a bunch but i could easily see 25-30.
ThisMorris can catch and in the preseason this was noted. His 3rd down did rise throughout the year as many rookie rb snaps often do. He didn't catch many passes but as Morris and griffin/cousins evolve I imagine those stats to grow. Don't have numbers but would guess redskins were in bottom 10 if not 5 of pass attempts so his numbers were going to be lower by the lack of sheer volume

Fyi morris' 3rd down work increased as the year went on he didn't get many stats but if i remember correctly he was running out the backfield quite a bit by around week 12-13. I dont have any stats to back that up but ge was in more on third down as the season progressed. Im not sure about royster being 100%a healthy so that may havw something to do with it. Rg3 was also dealing with injuries at the time iirc... somebody with access to the stats might want to share which percentage of third downs he played towards them end of the year. Sorry i dont have them stats for you. Carry on! Thanks for your input on Morris. He is definitely top 12 for me in ppr or not. Hes tough humble smart and shifty. Receptions will come this year i believe. Not a bunch but i could easily see 25-30.
ThisMorris can catch and in the preseason this was noted. His 3rd down did rise throughout the year as many rookie rb snaps often do. He didn't catch many passes but as Morris and griffin/cousins evolve I imagine those stats to grow. Don't have numbers but would guess redskins were in bottom 10 if not 5 of pass attempts so his numbers were going to be lower by the lack of sheer volume
It seems to me that if morris wasnt able to catch passes he wouldnt have been allowed to run out pf pass protection especially true because rg3 was already nicked up. You'd think shanny would want him back there protecting rg. But then again it is shanny lol... we'll see!

Redskins coach Mike Shanahan said in an interview with CBSSports.com that he hopes running back Alfred Morris can enhance his game in his second season. Morris had 335 carries for 1,613 yards and 13 touchdowns as a rookie in 2012, but he had just 11 catches for 77 yards. Shanahan would like to see Morris improve as a receiver. "He’ll get better and better in that area," Shanahan said. "I don’t think he’s practiced that a lot. ... He’ll work on those things in the offseason. He’s a heck of a worker, and I expect him to improve in the passing game."

Redskins coach Mike Shanahan said in an interview with CBSSports.com that he hopes running back Alfred Morris can enhance his game in his second season. Morris had 335 carries for 1,613 yards and 13 touchdowns as a rookie in 2012, but he had just 11 catches for 77 yards. Shanahan would like to see Morris improve as a receiver. "He’ll get better and better in that area," Shanahan said. "I don’t think he’s practiced that a lot. ... He’ll work on those things in the offseason. He’s a heck of a worker, and I expect him to improve in the passing game."
:thumbup: Wouldn't mind the carries going down if they are replaced by receptions going up. Great quote considering Morris now has an offseason as the starter to work on receiving without worrying about nailing down the starting job. Based on all the reports last season, Morris seems like a real hard worker that takes nothing for granted. I am keeping him in one league and really wish now that one of my other two leagues had keepers. Having Morris and Martin as a backfield for later picks would have been real nice.

It's true that touchdowns can fluctuate greatly from one year to the next with regards to RBs, but Murray only has 6 career NFL TDs on 385 touches, and he hasn't been able to stay healthy in either season, and we all know how dangerous it is to assume a RB who gets hurt all of the time will suddenly find a way to never get hurt. Darren McFadden anyone? Sure, the sky is the limit if Murray can stay healthy AND if Jason Garrett suddenly goes against what he has been doing for years and decides to start running the ball more inside the 10 (resulting in more TD runs for Dallas RBs), but I can't see making either of those leaps, much less both, and both are probably gonna have to happen for Murray to approach the numbers that some think he is capable of getting. Bottom line: Murray's floor is way lower than Morris', and even if you think their ceilings are pretty similar, that still makes Morris the safer pick, especially as a late first rounder/early second rounder. Also, I expect Morris' catches to go up in 2013. He only had 11 in 2012, but 5 of them were in the last three weeks of the season, so he was trending upward with them, and with RG3's knee likely to be a concern early on, checkdowns to the RBs and TEs could be on the menu to protect RG3 and his knee.
Hard to use 3 weeks as an upward trend, and even then, 5 catches in 3 weeks equates to about 27 receptions, which still isn't very high. Personally, I think Murray's floor AND ceiling are higher than Morris. Morris has to rely on the TD to have a good week. Murray doesn't. A week of 15-70 and 4-25 with no TD nets 13 points in PPR. The only way Morris is a better pick is the injury history of Murray, which is a legit concern. I think Morris is going to have a hard time living up to a 1st round pick in PPR leagues.

Even if Morris' catches go up, if RGIII isn't completely healthy to start the season, then you have to expect Morris' YPC to go down, and that 1600 rushing yards will be a very tall order. As I said, Morris' value really hinges on RGIII.

Just jumping in here, but I would not rank Morris all that high (and I do own him) for a number of reasons. He was a 6th round pick for a reason and he is not the type of RB that Shanahan was looking for in the read-option scheme. He isn't a HR hitter and isn't established as a receiver out of the backfield. Defenses are going to change the way they play that scheme this year and will be targeting RGIII even more if the RB on the field isn't a threat to go the distance. Morris' long rush last year was 39 yards.

I'm not knocking Morris, but he is what he is. Solid RB, no HR threat, bruiser. Workload increased as year went on and more RBs went down and RGIII got more banged up.

Morris' fantasy value is tied directly to volume. Helu was the flavor of the month not too long ago before he got severe turf toe, and is probably more of a Shanahan RB than Morris. Terrell Davis could catch the football as could Clinton Portis. Morris is more one-dimensional. He may never score 13 rushing TDs again and 16-80-0 days, though valuable for his Redskins team, would not do much from a fantasy perspective.

He was a 6th round pick for a reason and he is not the type of RB that Shanahan was looking for in the read-option scheme.
Was Tom Brady drafted in the 6th round for a reason that makes him less of a starting QB? Was Arian Foster undrafted for a reason that makes him less of a starting RB? I don't think where someone was drafted or undrafted makes a difference on how good a player can be. The main thing is opportunity, and what that player does with it. Morris did a lot with the opportunity. Shanahan has said if they knew Morris was going to be as good as he has been, they would have drafted him sooner.

Just jumping in here, but I would not rank Morris all that high (and I do own him) for a number of reasons. He was a 6th round pick for a reason and he is not the type of RB that Shanahan was looking for in the read-option scheme. He isn't a HR hitter and isn't established as a receiver out of the backfield. Defenses are going to change the way they play that scheme this year and will be targeting RGIII even more if the RB on the field isn't a threat to go the distance. Morris' long rush last year was 39 yards.I'm not knocking Morris, but he is what he is. Solid RB, no HR threat, bruiser. Workload increased as year went on and more RBs went down and RGIII got more banged up.Morris' fantasy value is tied directly to volume. Helu was the flavor of the month not too long ago before he got severe turf toe, and is probably more of a Shanahan RB than Morris. Terrell Davis could catch the football as could Clinton Portis. Morris is more one-dimensional. He may never score 13 rushing TDs again and 16-80-0 days, though valuable for his Redskins team, would not do much from a fantasy perspective.
Agree with Omally and really disagree with you. Helu never got the kudos that Morris got from Shanahan. I love how you can say he isn't the type of RB that Shanahan is looking for after Morris was the #2 rushing leader in the NFL, behind only Peterson and his historic 2000+ yards. If Shanahan read your post, he would be laughing. Sure, a 1613 yard, 13TD effort is not what an NFL head coach wants from his RB. :lmao: By the way, he wasn't a homerun hitter, but he was 5th out of 16 1000+ yard rushers in terms of YPC behind Spiller, Peterson, Lynch and Charles. Seems pretty good company. Also, while not a burner like Spiller/Charles/ADP, he was also tied for 5th in the NFL with 20+ yard runs.Oh, by the way, he was the #7 RB in my normal PPR league. If Shanny really does get him more receptions in the preseason like he was just quoted, he should be ranked high because his floor is top 10 when healthy with a decent amount of receptions. I also think "he may never score 13 TDs again" is way off as well. Sure, maybe he won't 13+, but there were only 8 RBs to score 10+ TDs and along with Foster, Peterson, Lynch, Richardson and maybe Martin, he is easily one the best bets at 10+ TDs again. Morris gets the goal line carries and with RG3's health worries, he isn't Cam Newtoning his RB at the goal line.

1. Continued (and arguably misguided) fears about Shanihanigans.

2. Lack of passing game activity last year.

3. Drafted round and lack of extended production history.

My gut tells me that none of these are real concerns with this guy. Low-end RB1 if he continues to be ignored in the passing game. Top 5ish if he somehow get's 40+ receptions. And unless 1 rears it's ugly head again, he's about as safe as it gets when it comes to RB choices IMO.

1. Continued (and arguably misguided) fears about Shanihanigans.2. Lack of passing game activity last year.3. Drafted round and lack of extended production history.My gut tells me that none of these are real concerns with this guy. Low-end RB1 if he continues to be ignored in the passing game. Top 5ish if he somehow get's 40+ receptions. And unless 1 rears it's ugly head again, he's about as safe as it gets when it comes to RB choices IMO.
Turns 25 this year so only has a couple good years left... :D

Is it only the dynasty rankings up now, or are there others too? Just renewed my subscription so not really sure what I missed.

He was a 6th round pick for a reason and he is not the type of RB that Shanahan was looking for in the read-option scheme.
If he wasn't the type of RB Shanahan was looking for, Shanahan wouldn't have drafted him. Shanahan is a big fan of getting players who fit his system late in the draft, sort of like how Pittsburgh used to snap up all the 'tweeners late in the draft in the late '90s to early '00s when they were one of the only teams running the 3-4 (Carlos Emmons in the 7th, Jason Gildon at the end of the 3rd, Joey Porter in the 3rd, James Farrior on the cheap after the Jets let him walk, Larry Foote in the 4th, Clark Haggins in the 5th, James Harrison as an UFA). Getting drafted late didn't mean that Pittsburgh didn't value them, it meant the demand for them wasn't as high because their skills didn't fit in nearly as well with the rest of the league. Similarly, Shanahan has always believed that he could take slow-but-decisive runners with good vision and turn them into relentless chain movers. The rest of the league didn't really value them because of the lack of speed or "wiggle", which means they were available cheap... but they fit splendidly with what Shanahan was hoping to accomplish with his running game, which was basically just moving the chains, leaving manageable conversions, and keeping the passing game ahead of schedule.Alfred Morris fits what Shanahan wants out of an RB to a T. Not a lot of home runs, just a steady stream of hope-killing, chain-moving singles and doubles, keeping his QB out of obvious passing situations (and therefore freeing up the QB to pick his spots to go yard without the defense teeing up on him). Edit: the fit is doubly appropriate, given that Griffin throws perhaps the most accurate deep ball in the NFL. If you give him a lot of 2nd and 5s or 3rd and 2s to play with, defenses are going to get burned, especially given how much respect they have to pay to his legs.

If he wasn't the type of RB Shanahan was looking for, Shanahan wouldn't have drafted him. Shanahan is a big fan of getting players who fit his system late in the draft, sort of like how Pittsburgh used to snap up all the 'tweeners late in the draft in the late '90s to early '00s when they were one of the only teams running the 3-4 (Carlos Emmons in the 7th, Jason Gildon at the end of the 3rd, Joey Porter in the 3rd, James Farrior on the cheap after the Jets let him walk, Larry Foote in the 4th, Clark Haggins in the 5th, James Harrison as an UFA). Getting drafted late didn't mean that Pittsburgh didn't value them, it meant the demand for them wasn't as high because their skills didn't fit in nearly as well with the rest of the league. Similarly, Shanahan has always believed that he could take slow-but-decisive runners with good vision and turn them into relentless chain movers. The rest of the league didn't really value them because of the lack of speed or "wiggle", which means they were available cheap... but they fit splendidly with what Shanahan was hoping to accomplish with his running game, which was basically just moving the chains, leaving manageable conversions, and keeping the passing game ahead of schedule.Alfred Morris fits what Shanahan wants out of an RB to a T. Not a lot of home runs, just a steady stream of hope-killing, chain-moving singles and doubles, keeping his QB out of obvious passing situations (and therefore freeing up the QB to pick his spots to go yard without the defense teeing up on him). Edit: the fit is doubly appropriate, given that Griffin throws perhaps the most accurate deep ball in the NFL. If you give him a lot of 2nd and 5s or 3rd and 2s to play with, defenses are going to get burned, especially given how much respect they have to pay to his legs.
:goodposting:

'SSOG said:
Excellent analysis.

'SSOG said:
As always, :goodposting:I'm late on the AlfMo bandwagon, but after a 1600 yard season it's definitely time to say "oops I was wrong on that guy." And so was the NFL for letting him slide into the 6th. It happens. He's a safe RB1 moving forward.

'SSOG said:
As always, :goodposting:I'm late on the AlfMo bandwagon, but after a 1600 yard season it's definitely time to say "oops I was wrong on that guy." And so was the NFL for letting him slide into the 6th. It happens. He's a safe RB1 moving forward.
I remember when I was late to the Rudi Johnson bandwagon.

'SSOG said:
I remember when I was late to the Todd Pinkston bandwagon.

'SSOG said:
I remember when I was late to the Todd Pinkston bandwagon.
I missed the Tom Brady and Foster one myself

Users who are viewing this thread