What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Am I crazy for considering Cook at 1.5? (5 Viewers)

I was cleaning out my study & desk yesterday and came across an old fantasy football folder. I saw where I drafted Curtis Martin second overall when he was a projected an early second rounder/late first.  Back in the day, I was much better than my league-mates and didn't mind giving up a round in value to select "my" guys.  I wouldn't do that now as competition has increased with the proliferation of fantasy advice, but my credo has always been to go with my own gut and projections.

I don't think it's crazy if you take Cook 5th especially if you think he's better than the other RBs at that spot. You're just not getting any value. In fact, he has to hit his ceiling to earn that selection.  However, like others have said. I would go WR and risk Cook being there with your second pick assuming you can't trade down. That's the HR combo for you.  I've got to think that a top WR will return close to the 5th overall value.

The way to win is to get value out of each of your picks.  If you are overpaying for Cook you aren't going to get value.  You may be right about him but if you are that only gets you to even value.  Now getting Cook in the 2nd round and having him perform as a 1st rounder is value.

Overpaying for someone is okay if they are going to return more then what you paid There is no way for a player to return more if they are taken with the 5th pick.  That is why they say you can't win your league with the first pick but can lose it.  Because there is no upside in the first pick.  

But there is also the emotional nature of the game.  If he is "your guy" for what ever reason (your favorite team, followed him a lot...) then it is fun to have him on your team.  Emotions can outweigh numbers all the time.  The game is supposed to be fun.
Absolutely not true.  While your less likely to receive value at 1.05 it's certainly possible to receive value at this pick.  We had a perfect example of this last year with Saquon Barkley who was considered a reach at 1.05 in redraft leagues but anyone who picked him at 1.05 received tremendous value.  I took him at 1.06 in a league and was laughed at as I passed on Leonard Fournette amongst others.  It's not sound fantasy advice to reach for 1st rounders but it can work out. 

I also disagree about needing to get value out of each of your picks.  IMO the way to win leagues is having your first few rounders preform like their ADP indicates. Where you win leagues is the mid round picks vastly outperforming their ADP...guys like Kittle, Chubb, Mahomes etc from last year.  If he reaches for Cook in the first and he performs like a 1st rounder that's a win in my book even if it's not considered a "value" pick. 

I’m not saying everyone is going to do this, and not every player goes 4 or 5 rounds early obviously, but I have lost out on players I was targeting multiple rounds earlier than I ever expected them to go. It happens once almost every year. 
Correct. And in my experience, winning managers learn to adjust on the fly & take the next best option instead of getting hung up on what player went too early. 

When I make my draft sheet (the blank list I use to track round/player/position/# at position/BYE, SOS 1-10), I pre-print it with a list of targets in light gray in the player column.

sort of an at-a-glance road map to round by round targets. Yes, it’s redundant. When I draft I go off of my draft board/rankings. If a player is an extreme value & fell further than I expected, I don’t usually care what position they are, I’m likely going to grab them because if noting else I can deal them later for greater than draft day value. 

But it’s does come in handy to remind me from time to time that it’s X round so these 4-5 targets should be available. 

That way if someone reaches for one I like, by a few picks or a few rounds, I’ll just grab another one of that group. 

I’ve never drafted using an ADP list. I draft using my own rankings & projections for my scoring system.

but I do have an ADP column on my draft sheet, because they tells me where those players are likely to be taken by others in my league.

And if someone wants to tank their draft reaching several rounds for a player I like, it is what it is. Next player up & move on.

the drafts I’ve had the worst results with over the decades are the ones where I’d jump onto a run, or miss my player by a pick & instead of looking at every position reach for the next player at that position, potentially losing value as a result. 

The best plan for your draft is to stick to your plan. The next best plan is to be ready to scrap that plan on a dime if the draft goes sideways. 

But by letting the draft come to you & taking the best value player with every pick, you’re going to end up with a better team far more often than not.

Someone said it earlier - watch for players that slip. Those are great values. Watch for players at fair value. But don’t ruin value by reaching for players you like. When you do that you’re forcing your decision on the draft, not letting it come to you. how often have you reached for a WR because you were high on that player & you were sure the RB would make it back to you, only to have the RBs all get taken while several equal value WRs come back?

I also keep a sheet of scrap paper handy. every round I count the picks before my pick, and I start listing the players I want there.  I still might take a min to make my pick, but there’s nothing worse than seeing the player you were sure you’d get go 1 pick before you & not having a backup plan. 

So as I said, I hope folks like 1.05 Cook are in my draft Sunday (mostly they’re not, unfortunately) - hey, I like specific players too. Just not enough to ruin my draft over them. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Absolutely not true.  While your less likely to receive value at 1.05 it's certainly possible to receive value at this pick.  We had a perfect example of this last year with Saquon Barkley who was considered a reach at 1.05 in redraft leagues but anyone who picked him at 1.05 received tremendous value.  I took him at 1.06 in a league and was laughed at as I passed on Leonard Fournette amongst others.  It's not sound fantasy advice to reach for 1st rounders but it can work out. 
Barkley went between 6-8 of every one of my drafts last year. How is 5 analogous to Cook, an early to mid 2nd rounder, being taken at 5? 

I also disagree about needing to get value out of each of your picks.  IMO the way to win leagues is having your first few rounders preform like their ADP indicates.
Doesn’t performance = value?

Confused by this. 

If you get players at an ADP and their perform or out-perform that pick, you’re getting value out of them. 

Where you win leagues is the mid round picks vastly outperforming their ADP...guys like Kittle, Chubb, Mahomes etc from last year.  If he reaches for Cook in the first and he performs like a 1st rounder that's a win in my book even if it's not considered a "value" pick. 
But if he can get a WR1 at 5 and get a player or equal value to Cook in the second (whether it’s a RB or WR) he’s much better off for it.

That’s highly relevant to the concept of value in the context of this discussion.

you hit the home run on ROI by maximizing value. You do that by getting two potential tier 1 players with one a risk of being tier 2. If you reach for the latter, you miss on the former & lose value.

but hey - each to their own. If you wanna reach for players, have at it. More value for the rest of us. 

Barkley went between 6-8 of every one of my drafts last year. How is 5 analogous to Cook, an early to mid 2nd rounder, being taken at 5? 

Doesn’t performance = value?

Confused by this. 

If you get players at an ADP and their perform or out-perform that pick, you’re getting value out of them. 

But if he can get a WR1 at 5 and get a player or equal value to Cook in the second (whether it’s a RB or WR) he’s much better off for it.

That’s highly relevant to the concept of value in the context of this discussion.

you hit the home run on ROI by maximizing value. You do that by getting two potential tier 1 players with one a risk of being tier 2. If you reach for the latter, you miss on the former & lose value.

but hey - each to their own. If you wanna reach for players, have at it. More value for the rest of us. 
I didn't say it was smart to reach but just disagreeing with skinsrule who said if you overpay for Cook you couldn't get value.  While the odds are against it happening it's possible to get value from a guy even if you overpay.  I agree with you on value maybe I'm misinterpreting Skinsrule post. 

I could be misremembering on Barkley but I swore his adp was in the early 2nd round for redrafts with a lot of people questioning him not doing it before and the Giants being such a lousy team.  He was certainly behind Zeke, Gurley, DJ, Bell, Gordon, Fournette, AB, Hopkins amongst others. 

I didn't say it was smart to reach but just disagreeing with skinsrule who said if you overpay for Cook you couldn't get value.  While the odds are against it happening it's possible to get value from a guy even if you overpay.  I agree with you on value maybe I'm misinterpreting Skinsrule post. 
If you reach for a player by a full round, that player must perform at ~110% of expectations to be a value. 

For Cook this means he plays 16 games & performs, relative to his position, better than Hopkins or Adams at their positions. 

Yes, it’s possible. it’s not very likely though. 

I would rather go WR/WR and take a chance on a Montgomery/Carson combo & hope they both overachieve to become top 8 RBs. To me, that’s a much better, and less risky way of maximizing value. 

Hmm

If you think Cook is the best player available at pick 5... he could be.. then I suppose you take him there.

But you better be very sure he is going to outscore the other available options if you do.

I am a Vikings fan and a fan of Dalvin Cook long before he became a Viking.

I do think he has the talent to perform like a top 5 RB but I dont think he is better than Elliot or a lot of other options that may be available there.

Elliot and Gurley have risks but Cook does as well. He needs to stay healthy. I am not sure how improved the offensive line will be yet. They could improve a lot and still be pretty bad.

As far as the discussion about value and who is worth the 5th overall pick?

Well you cannot get value with a pick this high. You can only hope to not waste the opportunity by drafting a lesser player. You need a lot of luck for any player to actually live up to such a high draft pick.

For any pick in the first four rounds, we’re generally not looking to draft them at the apex of their value.

There’s always a little helium lift for popular picks the primary week of redrafts, e.g., right after or during the third PS game week. So sometimes you chase a little bit if you’re really convinced that 5th-7th rounder is going to break out and outperform their ADP by a good margin. There’s a lot of room for growth in those picks!

There’s nowhere to go from a top 5 except right where you draft him or (more likely) downward. When did Dalvin Cook become a TD machine? Love him & this might be the third year in a row I draft him....picking 10th.

For the first round, I’m mostly just trying to not ruin my team. I am less risk averse in the first than any round, though generally that “above all else do no harm” mentality carries through the fourth.

Omce I feel like I have laid a good foundation, I feel much more free to take a guy a round early with the thought “I don’t think this is coming back to me and he’s the best value of the 4-6 players I was considering here.”

Theres been quite a few years I’ve felt a bit boxed in the first two rounds because my draft position meant I couldn’t go for a particular favorite. But being disciplined has served me well and we get so many players wrong - all of us, every year - I think it’s reasonable to stay within a standard deviation.

I won’t automatically draft a guy Sunday because “well, he’s next on my list.” But especially within the first few rounds, if I have to scroll down the queue to find the player I’m in love with, that’s probably a preventable mistake.

For the first round, I’m mostly just trying to not ruin my team. I am less risk averse in the first than any round, though generally that “above all else do no harm” mentality carries through the fourth.

Omce I feel like I have laid a good foundation, I feel much more free to take a guy a round early with the thought “I don’t think this is coming back to me and he’s the best value of the 4-6 players I was considering here.”

Theres been quite a few years I’ve felt a bit boxed in the first two rounds because my draft position meant I couldn’t go for a particular favorite. But being disciplined has served me well and we get so many players wrong - all of us, every year - I think it’s reasonable to stay within a standard deviation.
This is excellent advice 

I learned the hard way 2 seasons ago being boxed in and got stuck not being disciplined and took guys I disliked the least rather than a safer pick that probably wasnt a favorite. Quite literally cost me that season. 

In a recent dynasty start up I was drafting 9. I wanted mixon pretty badly and didnt think hed make it back, even though it was 4 or 5 picks early I was so close to picking him. I didnt want to go wr, but there were top top top wrs there. I went Adams as he is a steady pick unless hurt. Most unlikely to harm my team. And guess what... Mixon fell right into my lap round 2. Discipline pays off big time. 

For any pick in the first four rounds, we’re generally not looking to draft them at the apex of their value.

There’s always a little helium lift for popular picks the primary week of redrafts, e.g., right after or during the third PS game week. So sometimes you chase a little bit if you’re really convinced that 5th-7th rounder is going to break out and outperform their ADP by a good margin. There’s a lot of room for growth in those picks!

There’s nowhere to go from a top 5 except right where you draft him or (more likely) downward. When did Dalvin Cook become a TD machine? Love him & this might be the third year in a row I draft him....picking 10th.

Agreed with your point, but the bold is straight wrong. Pretty sure You're more risk averse in the first. (Sorry to be that guy, but wanted to check / clarify) So am I. 

-OZ- said:
Agreed with your point, but the bold is straight wrong. Pretty sure You're more risk averse in the first. (Sorry to be that guy, but wanted to check / clarify) So am I. 
Yes, good catch, thanks 

If you're good at this, rank all players by positions in tiers and draft based on that without letting ADP influence you too much, but just a bit.

BobbyLayne said:

I won’t automatically draft a guy Sunday because “well, he’s next on my list.” But especially within the first few rounds, if I have to scroll down the queue to find the player I’m in love with, that’s probably a preventable mistake.
Perfectly articulated. 

If you're good at this, rank all players by positions in tiers and draft based on that without letting ADP influence you too much, but just a bit.
To a point. If a guy in your 2nd tier is going to be a 4th round pick because of his ADP, listen to ADP, because chances are good your league-mates will let you wait until at least the 3rd to get him. 

That’s just free money you’re throwing away otherwise. ;)  

How about this scenario: Kelce at 1.5?

Same league. PPR - TE required.

Best available RB in round 2 and best RB/WR in round 3.

My point is I feel like drafting 5 is a disadvantage. Like somebody mentioned earlier, the goal is not to fall behind. Well I think you're already behind just having that draft spot. Drafting a RB you think might finish top 5 (Cook) is one way to avoid that. Drafting Hopkins and having maybe the #1 WR is another. Drafting Kelce is another way to "make up ground".

How about this scenario: Kelce at 1.5?

Same league. PPR - TE required.

Best available RB in round 2 and best RB/WR in round 3.
This is starting to look more like an assistant coach forum topics but I’ll give it a shot. 

The debate over whether to take a TE in the 1st round has raged since Gates heyday. 

Even Gronk at his peak went at the back half of the round, generally when the elite RB/WR were off the board 

My point is I feel like drafting 5 is a disadvantage.
Couldn’t disagree with this more. 5 is a great spot this year. You get a top 4 RB (assuming EE signs) or the potential #1-2 WR. 

And you’ll pick early enough in the 2nd to pair that with a very solid player from what I’ve seen. 

Like somebody mentioned earlier, the goal is not to fall behind. Well I think you're already behind just having that draft spot. Drafting a RB you think might finish top 5 (Cook) is one way to avoid that. Drafting Hopkins and having maybe the #1 WR is another. Drafting Kelce is another way to "make up ground".
how are you making up ground by waiting a round after everyone else to take your RB1 or WR1? 

Gronk at his best might have been worth that pick. But is Kelce that much better than OJ, EE, Ertz? 

Draft who you like, but i’ll let someone else take a TE in round 1-2. Too many options on the board at that point. 

I’m sure some will tell you Kelce is a fine pick at 1.05. If you must have an elite TE early i think it’s better to take Ertz in the 3rd or EE in the 4th. 

if you go TE/RB/WR you’re basically saying you’d be better off with the #1 TE, ~#10 RB & ~#20 WR than the #1 WR, ~#10 RB & #3TE 

i don’t see enough drop-off from 1-3 at TE to justify taking one at 1.05

toward the turn it’s an easier argument to make, as you don’t lose as much at RB or WR by taking a TE at say, 1.09-1.12. I still wouldn’t do it but that’s personal preference. 

Couldn’t disagree with this more. 5 is a great spot this year. You get a top 4 RB (assuming EE signs) or the potential #1-2 WR. 

And you’ll pick early enough in the 2nd to pair that with a very solid player from what I’ve seen. 
You are assigning value based on paper value not actual value.  That is where saying it's bad to take a TE in this spot isn't necessarily true.  That won't be known until the season is over.  

By doing your own research to decide who your own top players are needs to be done and sometimes you need to go outside the norm if you believe in your own evaluations.  Use ADP as a general guide so you can try and maximize value but you do need to decide if the guy you believe to be the best option can make it back or not meaning you have to "reach" sometimes to get the guy you think is far superior.  

That will only be proven once the season is over.   Any tactic can win......even taking Kelce at 1.05.

You are assigning value based on paper value not actual value.  That is where saying it's bad to take a TE in this spot isn't necessarily true.  That won't be known until the season is over.  
Sigh

it is not “paper value”. I am assigning the value that these players have shown with a track record of excellence & the projections we have for them based on a myriad of factors, including last season’s performance, projections from both experts & myself, OL, QB, improvements/downgrades in the off-season, player health, etc.

you keep falling back on this line of reasoning that we’re all just lemmings, blindly following the herd to take who we take and where, entirely disregarding the clear line of thinking I afforded this subject. Maybe I’m right, and maybe I’m wrong, but at least I defended my position. 

Dude asked a question & I took time out of my morning to offer my thoughtful response to it. 

If you disagree, by all means explain why.

Thus far your only counter is some nonsense about herd mentality & the mystery of no one knowing what the future holds. All due respect, but that’s a non-contribution to the subject. 

The part I just quoted is etherial nonsense. It’s not “paper value” and while true that we “won’t know until the season is over” that’s not particularly helpful since the season hasn’t started & this person asked for advice now.

So unless we all agree to switch to “20-20 hindsight fantasy football” where we wait until the season ends to answer people & discuss strategy, then my opinion on whether or not to take a TE at 1.05 is as valid as anyone’s. :rolleyes:

Yes, the strategy is debatable. I expect people to disagree with it. Your post isn’t a respectful disagreement & you failed entirely to defend the merits of reaching for a TE. 

By doing your own research to decide who your own top players are needs to be done and sometimes you need to go outside the norm if you believe in your own evaluations.  Use ADP as a general guide so you can try and maximize value but you do need to decide if the guy you believe to be the best option can make it back or not meaning you have to "reach" sometimes to get the guy you think is far superior.  
Thanks - I do my own research. Why would you assume/assert that I didn't? 

And the result of that research is what I suggested in my post. 

That will only be proven once the season is over.   Any tactic can win......even taking Kelce at 1.05.
There it is folks, shut down the website. Football Guys is closed - no need to discuss anything because any tactic can win, and we can’t know anything until the season is over.

last one out of the shark tank shut out the lights. 

:doh:  

If you disagree, by all means explain why.

Thus far your only counter is some nonsense about herd mentality & the mystery of no one knowing what the future holds. All due respect, but that’s a non-contribution to the subject. 

The part I just quoted is etherial nonsense. It’s not “paper value” and while true that we “won’t know until the season is over” that’s not particularly helpful since the season hasn’t started & this person asked for advice now.

So unless we all agree to switch to “20-20 hindsight fantasy football” where we wait until the season ends to answer people & discuss strategy, then my opinion on whether or not to take a TE at 1.05 is as valid as anyone’s. :rolleyes:

Yes, the strategy is debatable. I expect people to disagree with it. Your post isn’t a respectful disagreement & you failed entirely to defend the merits of reaching for a TE. 

Thanks - I do my own research. Why would you assume/assert that I didn't? 
You are asserting that the consensus ratings are correct and using those is the only way to get value without allowing for an individual evaluation to be used. 

The OP post that started this was whether or not to take Cook a round earlier than ADP.  Your position is that should never be done because you should take consensus picks with those ADP values of 1st rounders otherwise you lose too much value.

My counter to that is the value is not known until the season is over and if you believe a player will perform to that value and you want to ensure you get them because your evaluations don't match the consensus then you should have confidence in your evaluation and take the player ahead of ADP.  This also makes the assumption the players likely to be available at the 2nd round pick are well below the "reach player" in your own evaluations.

I think we are saying the same thing in general.  While you are saying base it solely on ADP and consensus rankings, I am saying to incorporate your own evaluation and trust it to get you the value you believe to be true separately from the masses.

Your process eliminates individual evaluation for the most part.  You are stating consensus rankings and ADP (which may be the same as your independent evaluation) are the only way to draft to get value.  I disagree.  I allow for an owner to commit to their own evaluation (which may or may not be the same as the consensus) and if it does not match consensus you should trust yourself and "reach if you think it is warranted.

The process is the same but the rankings being used are different.

You are asserting that the consensus ratings are correct and using those is the only way to get value without allowing for an individual evaluation to be used. 

The OP post that started this was whether or not to take Cook a round earlier than ADP.  Your position is that should never be done because you should take consensus picks with those ADP values of 1st rounders otherwise you lose too much value.

My counter to that is the value is not known until the season is over and if you believe a player will perform to that value and you want to ensure you get them because your evaluations don't match the consensus then you should have confidence in your evaluation and take the player ahead of ADP.  This also makes the assumption the players likely to be available at the 2nd round pick are well below the "reach player" in your own evaluations.

I think we are saying the same thing in general.  While you are saying base it solely on ADP and consensus rankings, I am saying to incorporate your own evaluation and trust it to get you the value you believe to be true separately from the masses.

Your process eliminates individual evaluation for the most part.  You are stating consensus rankings and ADP (which may be the same as your independent evaluation) are the only way to draft to get value.  I disagree.  I allow for an owner to commit to their own evaluation (which may or may not be the same as the consensus) and if it does not match consensus you should trust yourself and "reach if you think it is warranted.

The process is the same but the rankings being used are different.
No, I’m speaking to draft philosophy. 

So far the philosophical questions are

1. Do you reach for a 2nd round RB as a top 5 pick?

2. Do you reach (a little less) for a TE as a top 5 pick?

while both answers require evaluation of consensus ADP, personal and public rankings/projections, both of these questions are, at their core, philosophical in nature. 

Because, as you correctly state, we don’t now what the future holds. Any player can break out & any player can bust. 

But what we do know is history. We can see how players have performed relative to their draft positions. We know that in his prime, Gronk was arguably worthy of being selected 1.09-1.12, but some managers (like me) still wouldn’t do it because our draft philosophy was to wait on a TE.

there’s no “correct” answer. You’re not wrong, I’m not right - we’re just answering a random question with our own personal belief. 

We can defend those beliefs with vague generalizations, or we can defend them from historic data. We can even defend them with personal experience. 

There are known factors with a snake draft. there are so many players in each tier, and depth relative to positions is worthy of consideration. 

Thats why QB free fall & zero RB are popular these days. Folks started to notice that a 10th round QB can perform at 80% of a 3rd round QB. So they wait hoping to land that 10th round target while stacking up at other positions.

the same case can be made for taking Kelce at the back of the 1st round. Or one could argue that they’re gaining such an advantage at TE over the rest of the league that it’s worth the hit one would potentially take at WR or RB. Something’s gotta give - you’re waiting until rounds 2-3 for those positions if you commit to a TE early. 

And since another known factor is ADP (roughly) we need to include that in the evaluation of that draft philosophy. 

IF someone takes Kelce at 1.10, that’s 4 picks until their RB1 or WR1. They could get a relatively safe, high upside WR1 or RB1 at 2.03

but IF someone takes Kelce at 1.05, now they’re waiting until 2.08, which takes another 5 players off the board - 99% likely to be WRs & RBs. And then that team’s WR1 or RB1 is a 3rd rounder, likely a 2nd or 3rd tier player at their position. 

I am not saying it can’t work. I’m just saying it could decrease the advantage Kelce gives you (relative to otter TEs) as compared to the now potentially greater drop-off at RB or WR your team will invariably suffer as a result. 

Now all that said, we don’t know how that draft will unfold. We also don’t know if that manager will hit on every sleeper/upside pick. It is certainly possible that team Kelce 1.05 lands a 1st tier WR in round 2, and a RB in round 3 who finishes top 5.

Thats the dream, right?

but it’s more likely that a fantasy manager hits on a top 2 WR by taking a blue chip WR at 1.05, and it’s more likely to land a top 8 RB at 2.08, and then take Ertz or OJ in the 3rd.

and in that scenario it’s also possible that one of the TEs not named Kelce finishes closer to Kelce than projections have it - because as you say several times - we just don’t know how these players will actually perform. 

Its all just like; our opinions, maaaan.  But if we’re discussing reaching for a player or a position early in the draft, it’s largely philosophical. Which is a much better process than closing our eyes & throwing darts at a draft board. 

(Which would actually be a super funny way to host a league) 

This discussion just keeps going in circles.  Just do whatever you want.  Ignore ADP.  Make up your own rankings without looking at any websites, and stick to your guns.  If your sheet tells you to pick Mahomes at 1.5, go for it.  He would've certainly been worthy of the pick last year, right?

Cook at 1.05 is a 'reach'. figuring that the top 4 of Barkley, McCaffery, Kamara, Zeke go 1-4, you're in the drivers seat to pick the best WR available. you go D. Hopkins. Cook might be the guy this season who finally puts it all together and wows everyone , posting the 2nd best rushing numbers behind Barkley, etc. but Cook is a mid 2nd round pick, I don't think people view him as rock-solid as you do. you'll get him in the 2nd round. after pick 5, there's a flurry or WRs flying off  board. for maybe 10 picks it'll be WRs and Joe Mixon splashed in there.and Nick Chubb.

I get where you're going with Cook thee's a chance he's incredibly good this season but a 1.05 pick on that 'potential' doesn't make sense. Hopkins is a steady performer year in year out.  

This discussion just keeps going in circles.  Just do whatever you want.  Ignore ADP.  Make up your own rankings without looking at any websites, and stick to your guns.  If your sheet tells you to pick Mahomes at 1.5, go for it.  He would've certainly been worthy of the pick last year, right?
Highly debatable. Not necessarily. 

It depends on what you lose at RB1, WR1, RB2, WR2 & TE1 by retarding them all by 1 round since you took a QB at 1.05

see my post above.

it’s really just math. If you were an astute drafter in your hypothetical & hit on all your picks, then theoretically you lost nothing in the exchange & yes - taking Mahomes at 1.05 in 2018 was worth it. 

But if not; your team likely suffered more of a loss at those other positions than you gained at QB relative to those who waited to take an elite QB several rounds later. 

The team with the #2 finishing QB could easily have outscored team Mahomes on a weekly basis. 

We don’t draft players in a vacuum. It’s all relative to the performance of the next best player, and the overall impact that such a selection has on your other positions. 

That’s why it’s philosophical. I don’t see it as going in circles at all - and you hardly put the matter to bed with your summary. 

;)  

You win FF by hitting on a couple outlier performances and being close on other selections.  Last year if your analysis projected McCaffery and Adams to be outliers and you had the 5th pick would you have been crazy to take them at 1.05 and 2.07?  Their ADPs were 2.02 and 2.07 respectively.  Probably a lot better pick than DJ at 1.03 and Beckham at 1.12.

If Cook is your guy and you have another in second you love, then the only way to get both is to take one in the first.  

Ideally you would trade down to maximize your value here, but if that's not an option then you are stuck.  I crappy are you going to feel if Cook goes off for a Gurely type season and you don't have him.  You can tell everyone at the bar how you predicted it but didn't act on it.

(how) crappy are you going to feel if Cook goes off for a Gurely type season and you don't have him.  You can tell everyone at the bar how you predicted it but didn't act on it.
Not nearly as crappy as if everyone spends the next 5 years saying “I told you that was a dumb reach! He got hurt a 3rd year in a row & you could have had the #1 WR in football with Hopkins 20 TD season as the obvious pick!”

just sayin. 

Of the two one is more likely to happen. That’s often why players are priced as they are.

drafting for probability is another good way to win at FF. 

Risks are fine, but better for mid-round picks. 

As for the CMC/DJ comment, I had DJ in my DND list, and CMC went top 10 in both of my leagues last year. 

Personal evaluation can play for expected busts as well as expected breakouts. No one here is saying go strictly off ADP or concerns is rankings. 

But sure - it’s absolutely possible that you can take Cook 1.05 and that Cook lives up to it finishing as the 2nd best FF RB. 

But that’s a lot less likely than Hopkins or Adams finishing as the top WR. And that’s why they’re priced where they are. 

Not nearly as crappy as if everyone spends the next 5 years saying “I told you that was a dumb reach! He got hurt a 3rd year in a row & you could have had the #1 WR in football with Hopkins 20 TD season as the obvious pick!”

just sayin. 

Of the two one is more likely to happen. That’s often why players are priced as they are.

drafting for probability is another good way to win at FF. 

Risks are fine, but better for mid-round picks. 

As for the CMC/DJ comment, I had DJ in my DND list, and CMC went top 10 in both of my leagues last year. 

Personal evaluation can play for expected busts as well as expected breakouts. No one here is saying go strictly off ADP or concerns is rankings. 

But sure - it’s absolutely possible that you can take Cook 1.05 and that Cook lives up to it finishing as the 2nd best FF RB. 

But that’s a lot less likely than Hopkins or Adams finishing as the top WR. And that’s why they’re priced where they are. 
I'm not defending the Cook pick in of itself.  I don't like Cook this year in the second much less the first.  But I don't dislike Cook because he is injury prone.  Everyone is injury prone till they aren't or are safe till they get hurt.  

If you draft by ADP you get an average team.  Get as many of the guys you want.  In snake drafts that sometimes involves "reaching" relative to ADP.  

I get crap from my league mates because I make crazy stands on players every year.  Some times you hit and sometimes you bust.  But the goal of FF is to win your league and an average team doesn't do it.  I want dominant teams that nobody wants to play against.  If your first round pick only returns round 3 value you still are in it if you play the wire right and hit on a couple other picks.  

If his guy is Cook he should go get him.  

ETA: Why are snake drafts still a thing.  Auctions solve all of this.

I'm not defending the Cook pick in of itself.  I don't like Cook this year in the second much less the first.  But I don't dislike Cook because he is injury prone.  Everyone is injury prone till they aren't or are safe till they get hurt.  

If you draft by ADP you get an average team.  Get as many of the guys you want.  In snake drafts that sometimes involves "reaching" relative to ADP.  

I get crap from my league mates because I make crazy stands on players every year.  Some times you hit and sometimes you bust.  But the goal of FF is to win your league and an average team doesn't do it.  I want dominant teams that nobody wants to play against.  If your first round pick only returns round 3 value you still are in it if you play the wire right and hit on a couple other picks.  

If his guy is Cook he should go get him.  

I’m not saying he is.

I'm saying the majority of people believe him to be, which is factored into his draft day price. 

Thats why his consensus ADP is ~2.07 and not 1.10

So in a hindsight battle of “that man is a psychic genius!” Vs “that man is a moron for not taking Hopkins at 1.05! Look at the gimp he drafted knowing the injury history!” the latter is more likely than the former. 

But those are just the extremes I was addressing in response to someone’s post. 

More realistically, it’ll be “wow, you passed on a top 2 WR to take the 8th best RB. No wonder you didn’t make the playoffs.”

Bonus razzing if Cook gets hurt though, since that’s exactly the knock on him & likely why the Vikings spent draft equity on a quality backup. 

Not sure how an auction solves this.

the equivalent is the OP spending Hopkins budget on Cook. 

Simply reframe the question, “Am I crazy to spent 25% of my auction budget on Dalvin Cook?” 

And the same discussion likely ensues. The question at hand is overpaying for a player, whether that’s with a draft pick or auction budget %.

Still a philosophical discussion. 

:shrug:

Simply reframe the question, “Am I crazy to spent 25% of my auction budget on Dalvin Cook?” 

And the same discussion likely ensues. The question at hand is overpaying for a player, whether that’s with a draft pick or auction budget %.

Still a philosophical discussion. 

:shrug:
Except that it only takes one delusional owner to overdraft a player, but it takes two delusional owners to drive up an auction price.

In a snake draft, if you know your league values Cook at 2.07, then you have to overpay by a lot and take him at 1.05 since you know he won't still be there at 2.08.

In an auction if you know you league values Cook at $30, you don't have to pay Hopkins budget on him.  You only need to spend $31. It's one of the fundamental problems of snake drafts that auctions solve.  

In a snake draft, if you know your league values Cook at 2.07, then you have to overpay by a lot and take him at 1.05 since you know he won't still be there at 2.08.

In an auction if you know you league values Cook at $30, you don't have to pay Hopkins budget on him.  You only need to spend $31. It's one of the fundamental problems of snake drafts that auctions solve.  
Except and unless someone else also overvalues Cook.

I’ve been in a fair share of auction drafts & I've seen things. Horrible things. 😳

i saw Tyler Lockett go for $45/200 last year. Owner was convinced it was going to be a breakout year & another owner wanted him but not for that much....but enough to drive the price up. 

It was a slow motion car crash watching the bids come in.

as @Arodin points out, there could be two owners with the same belief / desire to obtain a player. While said as a “less of a chance”, there’s still that chance. 

Except and unless someone else also overvalues Cook.

I’ve been in a fair share of auction drafts & I've seen things. Horrible things. 😳

i saw Tyler Lockett go for $45/200 last year. Owner was convinced it was going to be a breakout year & another owner wanted him but not for that much....but enough to drive the price up. 

It was a slow motion car crash watching the bids come in.

as @Arodin points out, there could be two owners with the same belief / desire to obtain a player. While said as a “less of a chance”, there’s still that chance. 
Well, yeah, that's how auctions work.  Doesn't change the point that auctions address a fundamental problem with snake drafts.  In an auction, you can bid whatever you want for a player.  In a snake draft, you have fixed "amounts" you're allowed to spend which often force you to "overpay" for players.  

Besides, the existence of another player engaging you in a bidding war for a player is some evidence that you're not overpaying.  You can decide for yourself what the right value is and either pay it or don't.  Contrast that with a snake draft, where you can be forced to spend 1.05 even if no one else in your league thinks he's worth more than 2.07.  

Well, yeah, that's how auctions work.  Doesn't change the point that auctions address a fundamental problem with snake drafts.  In an auction, you can bid whatever you want for a player.  In a snake draft, you have fixed "amounts" you're allowed to spend which often force you to "overpay" for players.  

Besides, the existence of another player engaging you in a bidding war for a player is some evidence that you're not overpaying.  You can decide for yourself what the right value is and either pay it or don't.  Contrast that with a snake draft, where you can be forced to spend 1.05 even if no one else in your league thinks he's worth more than 2.07.  
I agree with most of this, but the bolded part - come on. 

The bidding war could just as easily be evidence of some jackass like me driving the price up unrealistically just to stick it to  another team manager.. 

:lol:  

I cannot remember a single auction draft, including the start up dynasty draft that I just did this year, where I did not do that At least once. It’s bit me in the rear a couple of times, but I do it literally every single draft. So do most of the people I draft with.  I helped to drive Antonio Brown up to $94 out of a $500 budget and I had zero interest in Antonio Brown. 

“bidding war”  could easily just be me trying to deplete your budget for a player who I know you want that isn’t worth it.  That validates nothing other than the fact that  most people are kind of jerks. LOL 

Wait!   I thought I was to take Kelse at the 5 spot?   
Flip a coin, then debate yourself for an hour on whether or not to take a TE that high. 

If it helps at all, in Gronk’s heyday, team 1.01 took Gronk 1st overall. 

Everyone was still laughing about it in the 4th round 

that was a loooooong draft for team 1.01 - the heckling lasted much of the day.

team 1.01 did not make the playoffs that year. ;)  

Flip a coin, then debate yourself for an hour on whether or not to take a TE that high. 

If it helps at all, in Gronk’s heyday, team 1.01 took Gronk 1st overall. 

Everyone was still laughing about it in the 4th round 

that was a loooooong draft for team 1.01 - the heckling lasted much of the day.

team 1.01 did not make the playoffs that year. ;)  
I would not take Kelse at 1.05.  Cook isn't happening either.  I would consider both around 1.10.  Depends on how the board looks and all that fun stuff.  I had Cook last season and that didn't work out so well.  

I would not take Kelse at 1.05.  Cook isn't happening either.  I would consider both around 1.10.  Depends on how the board looks and all that fun stuff.  I had Cook last season and that didn't work out so well.  
I would too, but so far in mocks at the 10-12 spots my teams have been much better going WR-WR

Ended up with combos like 

• JuJu/Hill

• Julio/Beckham

• Beckham/Hill

• JuJu/Beckham

then stacking up on RBs in the next few runs. 

But it’s also worked out pretty well with WR/RB

• WR/Chubb

• WR/Cook

• WR/Montgomery 

at 5 you get the luxury of knowing you’ll get Hopkins or Adams & you can be fluid on the way back. If Hill or Evans make it back I think it’s a no-brainer, but I wouldn’t fault you for going RB if Cook or Chubb make it to 2.08

After those guys I’d probably be happy teaching for Carson in the 3rd as a nice start to a draft out of the 5-spot. 

if you like him better than anyone else available at 1.05 then do it.  If you don't think he'll be available with your 2nd round pick and you can't trade down there is nothing wrong with taking him 1.05.

It's not like you're taking a 3rd round guy.  After the top 4 picks (provided Zeke signs), the 5-15 picks are basically interchangeable in this years FF drafts.

I appreciate those who have had good, constructive discussions about this. Some of you are borderline classless. 

Because somebody thinks outside the box and doesn't just follow the heard they are labeled as delusional. That's nice. Thought this was a discussion board. 

Fact is, if Cook ends up top 5, those who think it is a dumb selection will be flat out wrong. ADP's are guesses. Nothing more. None of us know what's going to happen.

So because somebody disagrees they are wrong? Maybe most of you should set your drafts to auto pick since that's what following ADP does. 

It's a mute point as I am pretty certain I am going Hopkins - RB - RB. But my apologies for trying to bring up a discussion on a discussion forum. 

Back to your normal ADP talk. Good luck in your drafts.  

I appreciate those who have had good, constructive discussions about this. Some of you are borderline classless. 

Because somebody thinks outside the box and doesn't just follow the heard they are labeled as delusional. That's nice. Thought this was a discussion board. 

Fact is, if Cook ends up top 5, those who think it is a dumb selection will be flat out wrong. ADP's are guesses. Nothing more. None of us know what's going to happen.

So because somebody disagrees they are wrong? Maybe most of you should set your drafts to auto pick since that's what following ADP does. 

It's a mute point as I am pretty certain I am going Hopkins - RB - RB. But my apologies for trying to bring up a discussion on a discussion forum. 

Back to your normal ADP talk. Good luck in your drafts.  
Don't let people get to you. Fantasy football should be about fun. Pick who you want. Moves like this have the potential to be a league winner. But it could also be a big mistake. Every pick has the same chance of failure. Seems like some people here don't agree with that. So go with your guy and good luck.

Don't let people get to you. Fantasy football should be about fun. Pick who you want. Moves like this have the potential to be a league winner. But it could also be a big mistake. Every pick has the same chance of failure. Seems like some people here don't agree with that. So go with your guy and good luck.
Exactly.  It's FF and supposed to be fun.  Very few people are playing for life changing money.  If you like a player you don't think will be there with your next pick then take him even if it's "reaching" by 10-12 picks ADP wise.

Users who are viewing this thread